Translation Discussion

Mar 22, 2010 at 8:15 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
This thread is to discuss the official translation by Nicalis.
Is it better? Worse? is it absolutely canon now?
Have you discovered any REALLY important changes?
Share here!

I was okay with the changes, although they made me grit my teeth a tiny bit. That is, until Balrog said "Oh Yeeaaah!"

Mar 22, 2010 at 8:21 PM
/end
A matter of canon is a matter of opinion.

Like I said in the other thread about Woolseyisms, and FFVI is a good example of this due to the fact that older fans of FFVI will defend the SNES version to the death when it's compared to the GBA version which is supposed to have a "better" translation.

Anyway, Koolaid Balrog isn't very cool at all.

Mar 22, 2010 at 9:17 PM
"Huzzah!"
MetaSeraphim said:
Anyway, Koolaid Balrog isn't very cool at all.

I found the "Oh Yeaaah!" better than "Huzzah!", but it's just my opinion.
Maybe because never i threated it as in the "Meme" or "Cult" level.

Speaking about the translation in general, i wouldn't call it better or worse, just... different.

But it really doesn't matter fanbases in general usually have the stigma to defend the first thing that appears regardless the potential of both parts.

Mar 22, 2010 at 9:29 PM
meep
"All your forum are belong to us!"
So far I wasn't too pleased with Kazuma's lack of punctuation and use of "lol" at the beginning...
Well I suppose he is talking on an instant messenger, but I guess it makes things feel less serious to me.

Mar 22, 2010 at 9:31 PM
"Huzzah!"
Yakkers said:
So far I wasn't too pleased with Kazuma's lack of punctuation and use of "lol" at the beginning...
Well I suppose he is talking on an instant messenger, but I guess it makes things feel less serious to me.

It really just because they are using the computer, Sue makes the same thing in the computer, and so everyone here in the real world.

My problem with what i saw was just a line of Misery at the shack, but i liked others lines more than the original, so i guess it will be a relation of both "love-hate" with both translations for me, when i will play the new version of the game.

Mar 22, 2010 at 9:43 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Which line? The one where she says Balrog has the brains of a dog?
Yes, that one felt structured oddly, but it's certainly not a bad translation. Kazuma doesn't say "LOL Meh need teh helps omg...
Jk I need only 1 help"

Mar 22, 2010 at 9:47 PM
"Huzzah!"
100killer9 said:
Which line? The one where she says Balrog has the brains of a dog?
Yes, that one felt structured oddly, but it's certainly not a bad translation.

Nice catch! That's the one.
Of course that it isn't a bad translation, i just felt the fan-translation's line better in that case.
That's just it :p

Mar 22, 2010 at 9:51 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
They seemed to dumb it down a bit for the wii version. Instead of balrogs sarcastic:

"the storehouse key? Why THANK YOU, jenka."
he now says
"I have the warehouse key! I'm all done here!"
ugh that bothered me

Mar 22, 2010 at 9:55 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
I am disappoint

What have they done to you, Balrog...?
No Huzzah...?
*Goes to cry in a corner*

Mar 22, 2010 at 9:56 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Does anyone here read Japanese? I wonder if the dialog really is more exact. It probably is.

Mar 22, 2010 at 10:35 PM
Been here way too long...
Didn't buy the wiiware version, and now I never will.

bushlands, a non sarcastic balrog AND no Huzzah! what the hell?

Mar 22, 2010 at 10:35 PM
/end
I am rarely one to complain, but this translation makes me want to scream ruined FOREVER. Bubbler to Bubbline? Seriously?

They should have also had an option to switch to the old translation like they do for the art and music.

Oh, well. Lucky for me I have something to fix the translation "problem".

Mar 22, 2010 at 10:41 PM
"Huzzah!"
Oh Noes Bubbline!
RUINED FOREVER!!!!
*jump off a cliff*

All of you, you actually stop to READ what you all said?
Are you serious? I have seen so much worse in other works and you complain about THIS?

Elitist "fan"base is elitist.
I also pointed some problems yes, but for any alternative word, you make a mess of it like it's the end of the world?

EDIT:That's was sarcasm, or something? Oh what the... i don't know anymore, I hate the Internet! *backing off*

Mar 22, 2010 at 10:44 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Curious, but is linking to TV Tropes a sudden fad or something?

I really couldn't find much sarcasm in anybody's speech this go around, though for the most part, I enjoyed it. If I'm not mistaken, there were times that Nicalis' translation was easier to understand story-wise, but I can't recall where...

And like others, Balrog's new catchphrase doesn't sit well with me, considering a certain walking jug of sugary goodness already claimed it...

Mar 22, 2010 at 11:03 PM
Jay, just because we like the other translation a whole fucking shitload better does not make us elitist.
This sorta makes me sick to my stomach.

Mar 22, 2010 at 11:14 PM
/end
Jay City said:
EDIT:That's was sarcasm, or something? Oh what the... i don't know anymore, I hate the Internet! *backing off*

The ruined forever part was mostly a joke, yes.

And it's not fan elitism because people don't like the new translation, it's fan familiarity. If you take something fans like a lot and then suddenly change a whole lot of stuff about it of course fans are going to be upset.

I keep using FFVI example here because it's one of the best examples there is. A lot of fans grew up on FFVI with the SNES translation, and when the GBA version came out it upset a lot of fans because it was taking something from someone's childhood and completely changing it. If someone did something to your favorite something when you were a child you would be upset too.

While people could complain less, yes that's true. But it's still changing something a lot of people are familiar with. I mean look what happened when they changed Coke back in the 80's.

cultr1 said:
Whew... Sorry I just can't stand it when people do that.

And I can't stand it when someone makes a completely ignorant post without viewing all the sides. Again, it is not elitism it's familiarity.

Also, this thread is for discussion of the translation, good and bad, just because you don't want to hear it doesn't mean you can run everyone who is complaining about it away.

And, ignoring your ignorant use of the word butt-hurt. Aren't you acting just the same about the people complaining about the translation as the people that are complaining about the translation are?

Mar 22, 2010 at 11:18 PM
"Huzzah!"
Lace said:
Jay, just because we like the other translation a whole fucking shitload better does not make us elitist.
This sorta makes me sick to my stomach.

We? It's very disrespectful speaking for others

Ok, so tell me a actual good reason to support your claim.
The disguised "it came first." doesn't count for me, sorry.
Because Huzzah! is soooo much original comparing the the different, not better, not worse, different interpretation they made.

Yes there is flaws, the fan translation also had flaws, FYI.
But, bashing the overall work because they didn't satisfy little nitpicking exaggerated stuff (there were the elitism part came from) like not using a different interpretation from an word without any meaning of another language, it's just ridicule.
I found it ridicule and disrespectful for people that ACTUALLY had effort in making something, instead like going to a Internet forum being negative just for the sake of it.

And that's my two cents in the matter, i had no intention to insult you or anyone else here, just expressing what i think.

Mar 22, 2010 at 11:20 PM
/end
Jay City said:
Yes there is flaws, the fan translation also had flaws, FYI.

No one ever said there wasn't.

Jay City said:
I found it ridicule and disrespectful for people that ACTUALLY had effort in making something, instead like going to a Internet forum being negative just for the sake of it.

I don't think most people are being negative for the sake of it, it's called opinions. People even had bad opinions about Cave Story PC.

Mar 22, 2010 at 11:21 PM
Okay, if Shakespeare came back to life and said "Actually, I like 'Should I, or shouldn't I?' more," how do you think people would react? It's a similar deal with Cave Story. Huzzah is Balrog's catchphrase. We all associate it with him, and it's part of his character. Changing Huzzah is like changing Quote's hat.