Tess

Mar 20, 2016 at 4:27 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
What happens if you mix water together in your container?

Nothing happens, the water you pick up last overrides the water in your container if you try to fill with a different water type in your tank. It'd be an interesting idea to have water combinations, but it might over complicate things, I think.

Mar 20, 2016 at 4:42 PM
Creating A Legacy...
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I think it would over complicate things a tad. maybe have it as an upgrade?
It would probably be simpler if you could only mix two liquid types at a time and trying to add a third would cancel the last combination and just give you the third liquid.

Or maybe have different nozzle upgrades which changes from a fine burst to a spreads shot or other options?

Whatever you choose to do with it the liquid gun really has potential with what you could do with it.

Mar 20, 2016 at 9:08 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
This is probably really obvious, but do the different water types do different damage?
Does the orange one do anything when you touch it when it's not in mid-air, similar to Portal 2's goo/gel/whatever it is called
Would there be any puzzles like "shoot water at the funnel thing to fill up something to make a door open"?
just a few questions i have about Tess 2
STILL don't like calling it that :balrog:

Mar 24, 2016 at 7:41 PM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
So, tried my hand at some fanart here. Yeah, I really should practice more.
The different waters look really cool! Plus the bubbles thing was well thought of. You really have a good eye for detail.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2016 at 4:05 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Saw IdioticBaka's cover and decided spur of the moment to make a Tess song in ORG.
Forbidden Pit: ORG, SoundCloud

Also from what I've seen on Tess 2 it looks like it's coming along well, good luck with completing it!

Mar 27, 2016 at 6:14 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
So, tried my hand at some fanart here. Yeah, I really should practice more.
The different waters look really cool! Plus the bubbles thing was well thought of. You really have a good eye for detail.

That's a neat little cover. FYI for scanning/photographing fanart on non-digital media, you might want to adjust the contrast and brightness levels of the pictures after scanning.

Saw IdioticBaka's cover and decided spur of the moment to make a Tess song in ORG.
Forbidden Pit: ORG, SoundCloud

Also from what I've seen on Tess 2 it looks like it's coming along well, good luck with completing it!

Ooo this is neat. I'd recommend just getting rid of track 7 in the org entirely though, since it seems off (and plain old just doesn't exist in the original song).

Fun fact: Forbidden Pit was originally supposed to be a song for the area right after you fell down with Milly, but it was reworked into a boss song near the end of development, since that area became more of a snowy area. It was originally a much calmer song, but had the same melody/notes (and was still creepy/spooky).

May 20, 2016 at 7:10 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
This game is excellent, GIR. The music is good and atmospheric and the artsyle is cute and simple. The controls are solid and the gameplay is enjoyable. haven't beaten it, but from what I've played so far, it's really fun.

Are you still doing the "Fanart for OST codes" thing? Because if so, I drew Tess a while ago. Here she is. Her proportions are a bit skewed because I took a picture of it on my phone.

p215260-0-hnkwd3c.jpg

By the way, what program did you use to make the OST? I assume it was Pxtone, but I can't be too sure. (Sorry for repeating if this question has been asked already.)

Anyway, keep up the good work. I look forward to Tess 2.

May 22, 2016 at 1:52 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Are you still doing the "Fanart for OST codes" thing? Because if so, I drew Tess a while ago. Here she is. Her proportions are a bit skewed because I took a picture of it on my phone.

p215260-0-hnkwd3c.jpg

Yeah, the fanart for OST deal is still going on. I'll PM you a code.

I'm glad you're enjoying the game so far. As Random-storykeeper said, the soundtrack for this game was indeed made in Psycle, not pxtone.

May 22, 2016 at 7:36 PM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
This game looks interesting.

Jun 5, 2016 at 5:12 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"

I learned how to make the playback speed for music and sfx variable (might be useful later).

Yo! What do you use to record Tess? I have tried several different programs now, but the frame rate always drops and the GIF ends up looking terrible. I tried to use Fraps and Bandicam (Problem is you can only make videos, not gifs) The quality and frame rate are fine until I upload it to Twitter/Youtube, everything just looks blurry. Its hard for me to work on my game when something like this is bugging me, any ideas bro?

Jun 5, 2016 at 5:41 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Yo! What do you use to record Tess? I have tried several different programs now, but the frame rate always drops and the GIF ends up looking terrible. I tried to use Fraps and Bandicam (Problem is you can only make videos, not gifs) The quality and frame rate are fine until I upload it to Twitter/Youtube, everything just looks blurry. Its hard for me to work on my game when something like this is bugging me, any ideas bro?
I use OBS to record videos and GifCam to record gifs. For gif cam you'll want to set the FPS of the recorded gif to 33fps (default is 10, kind of choppy), and for OBS you'll want to maybe play with the settings as well (adjust the bitrate, resolution, fps, etc)

Jun 23, 2016 at 5:49 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
My personal method is OBS for recording. If you want GIFs, you should be able to just use ffmpeg like this:
Code:
ffmpeg -i in.mp4 out.gif
Or for a specific part (times are in seconds, or minutes:seconds, or hours:minutes:seconds. -ss is the position, -t is how long.):
Code:
ffmpeg -ss 320 -t 10 -i in.mp4 out.gif
(these will work via windows command prompt, Terminal, or shell)
If I'm just making a GIF from single frames, I use the GIMP (frames == layers, lowest layer is the earliest frame)
(EDIT: If you're using FFMpeg to make GIFs, keep in mind that input video framerate == output GIF framerate.)

Jun 23, 2016 at 8:12 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Just downloaded the game and it's amazing so far. Good job.

Jun 24, 2016 at 1:21 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
My personal method is OBS for recording. If you want GIFs, you should be able to just use ffmpeg like this:
Code:
ffmpeg -i in.mp4 out.gif
Wait, you want to record beautiful clean pixel art in mp4 with its jpeg-style lossy compression THEN convert to an animated gif? Eww..

Jun 24, 2016 at 10:14 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Wait, you want to record beautiful clean pixel art in mp4 with its jpeg-style lossy compression THEN convert to an animated gif? Eww..
Well, it's that or use VLC's desktop recorder (since VLC can be set to do lossless).
I've not actually had to make a GIF from a desktop recording, so I haven't gone through a comparison of methods yet.
(EDIT: Further messing around shows trying to get VLC to crop output is difficult at best. But apparently OBS *does* have a lossless option, so we can just use the simple solution anyway - record with OBS losslessly then convert to GIF. Also keep in mind that 1. I'm using OBS Studio, not OBS Classic, so if the large amount of recording configuration is somehow missing, that's probably why.)
(EDIT2: This is OBS on lossless + FFMpeg to make it into a GIF)
ikachan.gif

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2016 at 4:27 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Recently I've been working on making some enemies for the game.

Snails
p217977-0-5nfb9nj.gif

These are snails, a slow moving enemy. They can crawl on walls and floors, and will try to hit you by flipping their gravitational orientation. In the air they retreat into their shell, so they're invulnerable then. They have the most frames of any enemy right now, mainly due to the mid-air flipping animation.

Floor Frog
p217977-1-wbityfv.gif

This is a "floor frog". A pretty simple enemy, it peeks at the player and then pops out to fire a few bubbles. I had fun animating this one.

Squids
p217977-2-eh36la0.gif

Another early game enemy, the squid. They move simply and predictably, so they should only give the player trouble if encountered in packs (which is how they'll often be found).

I've also changed the shader for the water in the game, to make the water look a bit more vibrant.

Old Water Shader
p217977-3-rimzcwv.gif

New Water Shader
p217977-4-okhpx2d.gif

The new shader is additive, as opposed to the old shader which was just plain old alpha composite. The sprite used for the water itself here is the same, only the shader was changed. Looks less faded now.

Jul 7, 2016 at 12:25 PM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
To be honest, I feel you shouldn't have revealed about new enemy attack patterns like this, I mean, don't you think it's more fun to experience it in-game as a surprise?
Never mind, they look really nice. The floor frog is cute! And I still can't think of a good way to deal with the snails.
The water looks great as well! The way the surface waves move looks really realistic, great job.
Progress seems good, all in all. When do you think this will be completed, and for what price?

Aug 16, 2016 at 11:14 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Dat frog enemy though. I love frogs!

Mar 14, 2018 at 3:53 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Hey GIR~ Any new project news you can share? :debug: