"Life begins and ends with Nu."
there's more than enough resources available for you to learn

Feb 23, 2016 at 11:00 PM
Catz R cool
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"..."
You could always just change
4157A1: MOV DWORD PTR DS:[49E6E8],32 to 7FFFFFF and
4157B7: MOV DWORD PTR DS:[49E6E8],32 to 7FFFFFF for nearly unlimited fuel.

Feb 23, 2016 at 11:43 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
If you remove all the code in the event then the game doesn't work, if you leave the <WAI9999 then there's still an intro which lasts approx. 3 seconds and consists of nothing. I believe he's asking how to change the time between the <WAI9999 being hit and the cut-scene going to the title screen.

Yup. Exactly what I am asking. Makes me wish I knew how to use assembly.

Also BL (Booster's Lab) is far superior to CE (Cave Editor) at this point, the only thing BL can't do which CE can is change the "starting flags," let you use any file extension you want (not a filetype, you can't use .pngs or anything, but you can use some made-up filetype just as long as they're essentially .bmps) and change the name of the Profile.dat (saved game) files.
You can change the Profile.dat and .pbm/.bmp extensions to whatever you want using Notepad++'s find (and replace) tool, but it's much more convenient to be able to do it with your editor.
Hopefully someday BL can be the IDE of Cave Story modding, being able to resource hack and such.

To be honest, I just like CaveEditor more then BL. It just works out for me better. I do, however, use BL when I need it (which is almost never since I have a bunch of hacking tools already).

0049E638 PlayerFlags [0x01 Inspecting | 0x02 Removed | 0x04 Walking | 0x08 | 0x10 | 0x20 | 0x40 | 0x80 Visible | 0x100 Water]
translation: ###### nothing useful

Thanks. Just seeing if I could do anything cool with those on my mod without wrecking the game.

EDIT: Whoops, double post. :muscledoc:

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 23, 2016 at 11:47 PM
"Huzzah!"
Yup. Exactly what I am asking. Makes me wish I knew how to use assembly.

To be honest, I just like CaveEditor more then BL. It just works out for me better. I do, however, use BL when I need it (which is almost never since I have a bunch of hacking tools already).

Hey, would you care to explain to us how you got the infinite booster hack to work for you?

Feb 23, 2016 at 11:50 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Hey, would you care to explain to us how you got the infinite booster hack to work for you?

With CSHacker. Sure, it's in Japanese, but if you just change the "50" value to "99999999" it works fine.

p212839-0-28iq39c.png

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2016 at 6:23 AM
Catz R cool
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"..."
Feb 24, 2016 at 4:18 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
I opened my mod and it told me:
"エラー
ファイルのオープンた失敗しました"
It's an error message. It tells me nothing about that the problem is.
Is this just because I use a modded executable? It doesn't work with the normal executable. I tried 32 and 64 bit versions of the editor.
It says "Failed to open the file".

Try it on a clean cave story exe. Clean meaning unpatched, not even translated.

Feb 24, 2016 at 5:12 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
I said myself that the error message told me nothing about what the problem was, implying that I read it and it told me nothing new.
1) Others don't know what the error message means, so for all we know you just can't read it and hence it's "telling you nothing about what the problem is".
2) Telling you that it can't open the file is kind of telling you exactly what the problem is (the problem is it can't open the file). It isn't exactly telling you why its failing to open the file, but it's better than nothing.

Also, try checking to make sure the folder isn't set to read-only. Vanilla cave story is set to "read-only" by default, same with its subfolders. I was getting the same error you were getting, but changing the root folder and subfolders/files (folder "dou_1006") to not be "read-only" fixed the problem, and it opened just fine.

Feb 24, 2016 at 6:29 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Every time I uncheck read only from the doukutsu folder and apply it to all subfolders and files (the other option is grayed out anyway) it just comes back immediately.
Doing it for all the subfolders individually produces the same result.

Oh well it shouldn't actually matter for the folder itself, since windows actually ignores the read-only flag on folders. However, make sure that the read-only is turned off for the executable itself.

Unchecking it for the folder will normally just recursively uncheck it for all the files contained in the folder and subfolders, if you have the right permissions.

Feb 24, 2016 at 7:24 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Well I'm pretty sure it was already unchecked to begin with.
Either way, it still doesn't work.
I guess I can't help you there then, since the error went away after I made sure the executable wasn't read-only.