Feb 16, 2016 at 3:01 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I tried. I really did. But for the love of hacking (and google), I cannot figure out how to into OllyDbg. D:
Basically my problem is, I noticed that OllyDbg doesn't show the entire executable's ASM code at once. It arbitrarily starts at 0x77A90000, and I cannot figure out how to make it show everything or how to jump to the proper address. [The inconsistencies in the Assembly Compendium's hex addresses is quite a prick in my side, but I think I can manage.]
You mean this?
p212643-0-z5pdahe.png

Might be a different version, but welp.

Feb 16, 2016 at 3:15 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
You mean this?
p212643-0-z5pdahe.png

Might be a different version, but welp.
I had a different version but I was able to find it. Thank you so much Miccs! ^o^

Feb 16, 2016 at 3:35 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
also I'm pretty sure that has to do with being on a 64-bit environment, if you just hit play once it should jump to the 32-bit entry point.

Feb 16, 2016 at 3:52 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
also I'm pretty sure that has to do with being on a 64-bit environment, if you just hit play once it should jump to the 32-bit entry point.
When you say entry point, you mean that OllyDbg doesn't start in an arbitrary place?

Feb 16, 2016 at 3:55 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
When you say entry point, you mean that OllyDbg doesn't start in an arbitrary place?
No, it always starts at the first opcode to be run as part of the program.

Feb 16, 2016 at 4:00 PM
No, it always starts at the first opcode to be run as part of the program.
So basically the code that actually does stuff in the game, managing it overall, yes?
And the stuff before it is all of the initialization code, like the title screen, allocating memory, loading files, setting up weapons and NPC's, preparing rects, etc.?

I wonder how it determines that though.

Feb 16, 2016 at 4:07 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
it's uh.. not quite that simple. There's a lot of other stuff that needs to get done too. The WinMain entry point probably won't mean much to you.
The executable format is very complex and I wouldn't waste time worrying about how it all works right away. Just remember that ctrl-g can be used to jump to an address.

Feb 16, 2016 at 4:20 PM
it's uh.. not quite that simple. There's a lot of other stuff that needs to get done too. The WinMain entry point probably won't mean much to you.
The executable format is very complex and I wouldn't waste time worrying about how it all works right away. Just remember that ctrl-g can be used to jump to an address.
I can appreciate the complexity of Assembly, and a little head-wrapping wouldn't hurt. But I also appreciate the useful shortcut. :>

Feb 17, 2016 at 1:05 AM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
Hi there!

So long story short my Jenka's Nightmare save got fucked up and now I have 0 hp. I was playing with the health in CE but now my health is fucked and every time I change the value, it goes back down to 0. I have no idea what happened to it and I'm right before a Genesis boss. Can anyone fix this?

thx bby

Attachments

• Profile.txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 5
Feb 19, 2016 at 9:07 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Hi there!

So long story short my Jenka's Nightmare save got fucked up and now I have 0 hp. I was playing with the health in CE but now my health is fucked and every time I change the value, it goes back down to 0. I have no idea what happened to it and I'm right before a Genesis boss. Can anyone fix this?

thx bby
http://www.cavestory.org/download/miscellaneous-tools.php
There's a save editor on this page I can only assume works properly, otherwise someone else will have to look at the profile and see what's broken

Feb 20, 2016 at 3:54 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Question: How might one change the amount of time the intro of Cave Story lasts? It comes up for a while, shows what it needs to show (typically the doc laughing, waltzing over to the crown, then laughing some more), then it fades away and goes to the main menu. So does anyone have a clue as to how I can change the time it takes before it fades out?

Thanks to all who respond!

Feb 20, 2016 at 4:05 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Question: What do the "Starting Flags" affect?

p212730-0-fawtg3.png

What will "0X01", "0X04", "0X08", "0X10", "0X20", "0X40" do when I turn them on? What will happen if I check the box with "Needs to be off"? Or for that matter, unchecking "Needs to be on"?

Responses appreciated.

Feb 20, 2016 at 12:10 PM
"Huzzah!"
Question: How might one change the amount of time the intro of Cave Story lasts? It comes up for a while, shows what it needs to show (typically the doc laughing, waltzing over to the crown, then laughing some more), then it fades away and goes to the main menu. So does anyone have a clue as to how I can change the time it takes before it fades out?

Thanks to all who respond!

If you go to the script for the intro map (u - Kings) you'll find something like this
upload_2016-2-20_6-6-6.png
This is the event ran with the doctor going up to the crown.
Change it however you want, put in new animations, use <WAI to determine how long, ect.

Question: What do the "Starting Flags" affect?

p212730-0-fawtg3.png

What will "0X01", "0X04", "0X08", "0X10", "0X20", "0X40" do when I turn them on? What will happen if I check the box with "Needs to be off"? Or for that matter, unchecking "Needs to be on"?

Responses appreciated.

No idea what those are, you using Cave Editor? Sorry I use Booster's Lab, and I've never seen these "starting flags" before.

Feb 20, 2016 at 12:36 PM
"Huzzah!"
If you remove all the code in the event then the game doesn't work, if you leave the <WAI9999 then there's still an intro which lasts approx. 3 seconds and consists of nothing. I believe he's asking how to change the time between the <WAI9999 being hit and the cut-scene going to the title screen.

Also BL (Booster's Lab) is far superior to CE (Cave Editor) at this point, the only thing BL can't do which CE can is change the "starting flags," let you use any file extension you want (not a filetype, you can't use .pngs or anything, but you can use some made-up filetype just as long as they're essentially .bmps) and change the name of the Profile.dat (saved game) files.
You can change the Profile.dat and .pbm/.bmp extensions to whatever you want using Notepad++'s find (and replace) tool, but it's much more convenient to be able to do it with your editor.
Hopefully someday BL can be the IDE of Cave Story modding, being able to resource hack and such.

Huh, don't really know what these "starting flags" do.

Anyways, yeah, zxin's right, keep the beginning commands and leave the <WAI9999 command at the end. if you want to make it longer, just put some <WAI commands in-between.

Here's an example I did:
upload_2016-2-20_6-35-6.png
It's for a Quote entity, and it just makes him walk back and forth, the more <WAI commands you put, the longer the intro lasts.

Feb 20, 2016 at 3:54 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
If you remove all the code in the event then the game doesn't work, if you leave the <WAI9999 then there's still an intro which lasts approx. 3 seconds and consists of nothing. I believe he's asking how to change the time between the <WAI9999 being hit and the cut-scene going to the title screen.

Also BL (Booster's Lab) is far superior to CE (Cave Editor) at this point, the only thing BL can't do which CE can is change the "starting flags," let you use any file extension you want (not a filetype, you can't use .pngs or anything, but you can use some made-up filetype just as long as they're essentially .bmps) and change the name of the Profile.dat (saved game) files.
You can change the Profile.dat and .pbm/.bmp extensions to whatever you want using Notepad++'s find (and replace) tool, but it's much more convenient to be able to do it with your editor.
Hopefully someday BL can be the IDE of Cave Story modding, being able to resource hack and such.

I would have let people change starting flags if they actually did anything besides cause confusion to people like fixer90

Feb 20, 2016 at 4:16 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
0049E638 PlayerFlags [0x01 Inspecting | 0x02 Removed | 0x04 Walking | 0x08 | 0x10 | 0x20 | 0x40 | 0x80 Visible | 0x100 Water]
translation: fuckin nothing useful