May 1, 2013 at 5:04 AM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Can we see the map and tileset? There's not much anyone can do with just the coordinates.

May 1, 2013 at 7:15 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
(deleted to move on to new images)

Does this help at all?

May 1, 2013 at 12:31 PM
Professional Whatever
How odd.
You didn't do anything funky with the tile types for the tileset, did you?

May 1, 2013 at 3:21 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I don't recall making any of the tiles type 0.

Also, the most I did with some of them was add white lines and such to the snow. Maybe that messed it up by accident?
Bad Tiles now has the tile grid (A0, 00, etc)

Attachments

• Bad Tiles.bmp
    92.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Good tiles.bmp
    127.2 KB · Views: 2
May 1, 2013 at 7:50 PM
The Eternal Darkness
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
shinychu said:
I don't recall making any of the tiles type 0.

Also, the most I did with some of them was add white lines and such to the snow. Maybe that messed it up by accident?
Bad Tiles now has the tile grid (A0, 00, etc)
That usually happens if you change the size of the tileset.

I don't know how to fix it in Booster's Lab, but in Cave Editor, one would have to go to "Edit Tile Set", and on the right-hand side, there's a "blank" tileset with numbers and some maroon or blue or grey blocks and stuff. Right-clicking on a tile in the "blank" tileset allows one to set the tile property of the tileset which will be saved as a ".pxa" file with the same name (without the "Prt" prefix) as the tileset, if I remember correctly.

May 1, 2013 at 8:09 PM
Professional Whatever
Oh
Ohhhhhhh
Okay so here's the deal: you copypasted the tileset and renamed it to make a new one, right? You need to copypaste the relevant .pxa file as well and rename it accordingly. In this case it would be sand.pxa.
It should fix it maybe kinda but it also may not but you should do it anyway so your tileset actually you know works in the first place.

May 2, 2013 at 12:33 AM
Shane said:
That usually happens if you change the size of the tileset.

I don't know how to fix it in Booster's Lab, but in Cave Editor, one would have to go to "Edit Tile Set", and on the right-hand side, there's a "blank" tileset with numbers and some maroon or blue or grey blocks and stuff. Right-clicking on a tile in the "blank" tileset allows one to set the tile property of the tileset which will be saved as a ".pxa" file with the same name (without the "Prt" prefix) as the tileset, if I remember correctly.
All right, I've totally fixed it. Thank you.

However, now there's another problem. I have my custom background, and my custom fixed sprites, and my new map. When I apply all of these together, the background up and disappears. I read about something like this in the tutorial paper, but I don't know what to do at this point. Do I ignore it and just make my stage, or what?

May 2, 2013 at 12:38 AM
Professional Whatever
That's because you added it normally. You have to copy a map because the editor is stupid.
You can take your current map, take the .tsc, .pxe and .pxm files and rename them to your new map name to prevent having to do everything over again.

May 2, 2013 at 12:52 AM
I copied a map (randomly chose Labyrinth I), slipped my stuff in there, and the same thing happened.

May 2, 2013 at 12:59 AM
Based Member
Did you do that to the same copy of your mod in which you just earlier used the add map button instead of the copy map button? I've never encountered this myself but I would presume the fix for the nonexistent background is most likely to work if you revert to a version of your mod before you used the add map button, then use copy map.

May 2, 2013 at 1:06 AM
Tried it again with Sand Zone, and all is fine unless I stick in my Snow tiles.

Here are the files I have added into the Stage file:
Snow.pxa
Snow.pxe
Snow.pxm
Snow.tsc

PrtSnow.bmp

@Hayden
I don't quite understand what you mean there. I dunno how to revert exactly.

May 2, 2013 at 1:56 AM
Professional Whatever
You would have needed to backup your mod.
I've remedied this problem many times before, and I believe it has something to do with not using the same map name as the corrupt one.

May 2, 2013 at 2:24 AM
I didn't really have a backup. I have files for sprites I changed, so I can overwrite a new download if I need to. Is that what you mean?

Sorry for sounding so stupid. :/

May 2, 2013 at 2:30 AM
Based Member
No, I meant make an entire copy of your mod folder so that you can revert back to it in the event that something weird happens. Sounds like you didn't back it up, so you won't be able to revert back to an earlier version. For future reference, backing up your mod is one of the most important fundamental practices of Cave Story modding.

Given that you don't have a backup, it sounds like MagicDoors is giving you some useful advice for your case, especially considering that he's encountered this before and I haven't.

May 2, 2013 at 4:07 AM
Professional Whatever
Also you could just copy everything but your executable and start over with a fresh one.

E: I mean take everything in /data and copy it into a vanilla version of Cave Story, overwriting the previous files.

May 2, 2013 at 4:40 AM
That sounds like a good plan. Thank you, MagicDoors.

So, I loaded up the Editor, loaded up Cave Story onto it, added a new map, called it what I wanted, made it 55X70, added my background, my custom tiles, and the Moon and Weed files. The background still doesn't seem to show up. What am I doing wrong?

May 2, 2013 at 4:53 AM
Professional Whatever
Did you actually add a new map again? You still have to copy another map over.
I think Booster's Lab fixes the bug anyway so you could always just open that up and make the new map if you wanted if all else fails.

May 2, 2013 at 5:01 AM
I'm sorry. I must be stupid. :/

I'll copy a map this time...or did adding just screw up all future new maps for that game and I have to download another one?

Copying Sand Zone and inserting my Snow tiles did nothing to help. The background, regardless of what it was, disappeared. Did I do something wrong when making the tiles themselves?

May 2, 2013 at 5:13 AM
Professional Whatever
It's not the tiles. It's not even the map's files. The problem should be contained in the executable itself, which is why you would need to replace it. If you're all out of ideas, would you mind sending me your mod and I can see if I can fix it for you?