Apr 21, 2013 at 3:44 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hey,
It´s me again. I just wanted to ask how it´s possible
that the backgrounds "bkFog" and "bkMoon" are animated?
How does it work?

Apr 21, 2013 at 5:59 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Bombchu Link said:
in the Map [Ukings] there is a timer hidden some where in assembly that tells the game to go to the title screen after so many ticks. Where is this timer? NOTE: it is not directly linked to the map itself, (as I am using a different map for the title) anyone know?
CPU Disasm
Address Hex dump Command Comments
0040F79D |> /817D F8 F4010 /cmp dword ptr [local.2],1F4

Illusion said:
Hey,It´s me again. I just wanted to ask how it´s possiblethat the backgrounds "bkFog" and "bkMoon" are animated?How does it work?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallax_scrolling#The_raster_method

Apr 23, 2013 at 2:29 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hi,
How can I get on or off the fans?
When I check out the grasstown I can´t find out
how it works.

Apr 23, 2013 at 4:09 PM
Professional Whatever
I think active fans are a separate NPC. I might be wrong, though, I haven't really used them.
You might want to try changing options 1 and 2 for the fan entity if the first suggestion doesn't work.

Apr 23, 2013 at 10:43 PM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
Unless this is frowned upon, (as piratcy of the Wii version of CS) how to I change the frame rate to 60 Frames per second?

Apr 24, 2013 at 1:40 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I have noticed on some games the player can fly. They can just use the arrow keys and they go up or down or... How do I make it do that on my game?

I have noticed on some games the player can fly. They can just use the arrow keys and they go up or down or... How do I make it do that on my game?

Apr 24, 2013 at 1:14 PM
The Eternal Darkness
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
fadoink said:

Are you talking about like in the Ironhead boss fight of the original Cave Story? If so, I think using <UNI0001 would help, but then it would be impossible to interact with anything using the down arrow, as far as I know.

Apr 24, 2013 at 3:12 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"

Hello. This is my first post in the forum, so I'm probably going to be doing a few things wrong. But I'm getting really flustered about this, so here goes.

I like Cave Story. I loved the music, then I loved the gameplay, then I loved the sweet, sweet satisfaction of launching missles in Ballos's face. Blahdy blahdy blah, game's great. So I found out it's rather easy to mod this game. Cue me wanting to mod the game up for my friend a little so he'll have a different experience. Not to be a troll, just to make something more enjoyable.

My full plans were for:

-Different character sprites (starting slow here, don't want to do anything messy)

-Different modded textures (changed the colors in the desert to more reddish or greenish

-Signposts in a bunch of places describing the mod (possibly with self-deprecation humor)

-Weapons mods that make weapons act like Pokemon "TMs" (Ember for Fireball, Bubblebeam for Bubbler, Hyper Beam for Spur, etc)

So I started on what I figured was the easiest part: character modding. Okay, turned Quote's red stuff blue and made his antenna purple tipped (bitmap, 24 bit), made the Mimiga outfit look Pikachu-yellow. Simple. But then I get to scripting, as I follow Noxid's tutorial that I downloaded for myself (seriously though, thanks a lot. Helps clear some things up). I put a signpost down in the Start Point, do the settings so it activates when I press down, and appears once FlagID is set. I edit the script, make it its own script (187), and save everything.

<KEY<MSGHello!
Test test! Text Text!<NOD<CLO<END

The CLO may be redundant but there's no syntax errors so I kept it.

So then I load it up. Start a new game. Listen to Kazuma whine. I go and press down on the signpost in the Start Point. The sound of text moving is heard, but then the game does the loading-up-map animation with the diamonds. I save at the save point and quit, then after adding the <CLO part since it probably completes the thing, I load it up again, this time starting from the save point. Once I go to the signpost, it seems to activate the transmission/Kazuma event again.

There's my problem. I haven't gotten far enough in the game to check the other signposts in Sand Zone or even First Cave, and I'm afraid to make shortcut doors or a Debug room to do it.

If anyone can help me, it'd be much appreciated.

Apr 24, 2013 at 3:26 PM
hi hi
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I think you messed something with event numbers. First, make sure that your event number is 4-digit long (ex. #0666). Then, they should be placed in correct order (not #0420
for example). And check if the NPC Signpost has the correct Event #.

Apr 24, 2013 at 3:37 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Yeah, there aren't any problems in the script for the sign itself. Do what Randolf said and check that the events are in the right order, and that the sign's event is set to 187.
In the future, use this thread for questions like this.

Apr 24, 2013 at 4:45 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"

Okay.

I originally had it after event #0200, which was the transmission event. So I placed it before it instead. There's also an event #1000 with just an <END in it. I'm assuming that's a failsafe.

Checking...yes! That signpost works! Now I'm assuming I'll have to check all of the rest of them! That's totally fine with me. Thank you for the help.

All right, new problem for you all.

I've gone into Paint to remodel what I THINK is the Polar Star. Specifically, I've checked the Sym folder, and found what looks like the Polar Star. May have been the Spur, may not have. Where would I find the Polar Star's model? Either it's hidden, or it shares sprites with the Spur...

Much appreciated for the help, Noxid. Guess I skipped it like...twice.

Apr 24, 2013 at 5:39 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
The Polar Star sprite is in the 'data' folder and is inside a file called 'Arms.bmp' it is the second weapon along, the blue one with the light blue handle.

Apr 24, 2013 at 6:52 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Bombchu Link said:
Unless this is frowned upon, (as piratcy of the Wii version of CS) how to I change the frame rate to 60 Frames per second?
CPU Disasm
0040B36D |. 83C1 11 |add ecx,11
CPU Disasm
0040B3A7 |. 83C1 11 add ecx,11

p. sure that is it

@shinychu your post has an edit button

Apr 24, 2013 at 9:27 PM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
Noxid said:
CPU Disasm
0040B36D |. 83C1 11 |add ecx,11
CPU Disasm
0040B3A7 |. 83C1 11 add ecx,11

p. sure that is it

@shinychu your post has an edit button
Thanks, it worked. . .

. . .But now how do I slow down how fast the Nikumaru counter counts by 1/6th?

Apr 25, 2013 at 12:28 AM
Professional Whatever
I'm probably annoying the people on skype so I'll post this here

0048B949 MOV ECX,DWORD PTR DS:[49E63C]
0048B94F AND ECX,00000008
0048B952 JNE 00415BE7
0048B958 MOV ECX,DWORD PTR DS:[49E638]
0048B95E AND ECX,00000100
0048B964 JE 00415BE7
0048B96A RETN
So this is supposed to check if the player is in contact with a water tile and if so run address 48B964. It never does, though.

From the compendium:
0049E638 PlayerFlags (0x01 Inspecting | 0x02 Removed | 0x04 Walking | 0x08 | 0x10 | 0x20 | 0x40 | 0x80 Visible | 0x100 Water)

Apr 25, 2013 at 7:12 PM
Dunc2403 said:
@shinychu I'm 76% certain that the sprite you found was the sprite used when Curly has the PS
Yeah, I think I figured that out too. Regardless, thanks for the info. :)

Now...this may sound a bit strange for a noob to want, but this is one my dreams to do with this game:

I've already made a new door near the Outer Wall, but that's as far as I've gotten. No entering the door or anything, just...a door. But this is what I want to add:

-A room with a teleporter that goes to a new map, where I will call it the Snowy Retreat or something regarding snow or ice. It will include new textures with a snowy background, white snow, re-used enemies from the Outer Wall and such,

-A room that looks like a tomb, using map blocks from the Sacred Grounds

-A boss battle involving a floating character-sized creature that can turn invincible and launch Ballos lightning bolts while the player climbs a blocky staircase. I was hoping for the effect of walls behind them closing in until they reach a smaller battle room, not unlike how the walls show up during the good ending of the game before after you beat Ballos and the walls pop up repeatedly.

-The ability to use my own .ogg file for a boss theme, specifically "The Unbroken" from

-A cutscene where the boss is thrown into the wall while it closes in, crushing it once and for all.

-A door that warps the player above the teleporter so they can take it back

Obviously, this is a shit-ton of stuff, and I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong area. Is there anyone who can help on at least one of those steps, preferably the first one?

Apr 25, 2013 at 7:36 PM
hi hi
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
That looks impossible.

Some things are easy, but the .ogg... You would have to be Noxid to do that.

As for new maps, you can add some with Cave Editor.

The boss would (probably) require creating a totally new NPC (ASM hack).

The rest could probably be done with TSC...

Members here probably won't help you, but if you really need some, PM me.

Apr 25, 2013 at 8:06 PM
See? I aim too high. :p

I use Cave Editor, and I've already modded some weapons so they look like Technical Machine weapons (I'm a Pokemon nerd). Hell, I did some research to find some old TMs from previous generations.

Polar Star is TM39 Swift, Rocket Launchers are TM34 Egg Bombs (modded the rockets into eggs too), Machine Gun is TM 09 Bullet Seed, Fireball is TM 61 Will-o-Wisp, Bubbler is TM 09 Bubblebeam, Blade is HM01 Cut, Snake is TM 34, Nemesis is TM BA 99 Psycho Boost (obviously I cheated by making a godlike TM by making BA mean Ballos, but it's from the Goddess so I expect the comparison), and the Spur is TM 15 Hyper Beam.

You sort of lost me on TSC and ASM. It could be entirely possible for me to make a new NPC. I can design it and everything. The only problem would be programming it, giving it a face shot for the text box, and such.

The design I was thinking was a daemonic Pikachu-esque creature that can float and shoot lightning bolts. I want the battle to be able to last long enough so that the player can hear the song all the way through before it loops. I get that the last part may very well be impossible.