Aug 16, 2011 at 1:03 PM
"Huzzah!"
LunarSoul said:
It seems you found one of my discarded sidequests for MS. Heh.

Actually no, i dont know what that is. The dream sequence idea came from my own real life experiences from a practice called lucid dreaming.

LunarSoul said:
You'll need some ASM for this. I'm not even sure myself how to do this, but it should be at 419910 - that's the take damage function. You need to put a PUSH equaling the TSC flag and then a CALL to the flag check function which I don't know off the top of my head. That sets either 0 (if it's not set) or 1 (if it is) to EAX I believe. Then you can CMP EAX,1 before the explosion, and JE to another location for the other sequence.

Lace said:
Yeah what's happening is that when you die, FIRST your character is removed from existence, and THEN the tsc event is called. I'm not sure I would mess with this because it would look wacky if you made him exist always, but if you want to, that code lune posted is the right place to look.

Edit: Also it would be easier/more space efficient just to and the flag offset by the right mount then to call the function and cmp that. Anyways, that could be used to easily circumvent the problem I just brought up - just make it so you die if the flag isn't set.

It sounds alot more complicated that i anticipated. I dont want to end up doing more harm than good for the sake of style. Thankyou both for your reply though.

Aug 16, 2011 at 1:44 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Kick Ass said:
Ok I know this is kind of an odd question to ask. I'm using a HV trigger and Once I have finished my message it keeps playing. This is the setup I am using.

<KEY<MSG Blah blah<NOD Blah blah <NOD etc..... and then at the end <NOD<END

Do I need to set something with the flags. I've forgotten what to do... Thanks

You do, but the current problem is that the H/V trigger keeps catching you and repeating the event. <DNP the trigger. You also need to give it a flag entity, give it the "disappear when set" flag , and set that flag somewhere in the event.

Aug 16, 2011 at 1:48 PM
CUSTOMIZED!
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Great. It's fixed. Thanks :D

Edit: Wait..no it's not. What do I type after <DNP and where in the script event do I put it. Explain it like I am a beginner... Because I really can't remember much about modding. I'm almost am a beginner.

Aug 16, 2011 at 5:53 PM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Kick Ass said:
Edit: Wait..no it's not. What do I type after <DNP and where in the script event do I put it. Explain it like I am a beginner... Because I really can't remember much about modding. I'm almost am a beginner.

<DNP the event # of the entity. I'm assuming you're using Cave Editor. You put the <DNP in the event that the H/V trigger itself will run...

such as:

<DNP0100<DO_STUFF_HERE<END

Also, make sure you give the entity an "Entity ID", or FlagID number (which can be any flag you haven't used yet). In flag details, check the box 0x4000: Disappears once FlagID is set. When you <DNP the entity, the flag is automatically set, so no <FL+ is needed in your event.

So the flag will cause the H/V trigger to never run again unless you <FL- the flag chosen.

Aug 16, 2011 at 9:03 PM
CUSTOMIZED!
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Carrotlord said:
<DNP the event # of the entity. I'm assuming you're using Cave Editor. You put the <DNP in the event that the H/V trigger itself will run...

such as:

<DNP0100<DO_STUFF_HERE<END

Also, make sure you give the entity an "Entity ID", or FlagID number (which can be any flag you haven't used yet). In flag details, check the box 0x4000: Disappears once FlagID is set. When you <DNP the entity, the flag is automatically set, so no <FL+ is needed in your event.

So the flag will cause the H/V trigger to never run again unless you <FL- the flag chosen.

Great it is fixed. I figured out about putting the event number in but not the entity ID. :D Thanks

Aug 17, 2011 at 7:58 PM
"Huzzah!"
So, how do you change the look of your main character in cave editor?:mrgreen: (I know I asked this before, but I never got an answer.)

Aug 17, 2011 at 8:49 PM
Not anymore
linkruler said:
So, how do you change the look of your main character in cave editor?:mrgreen: (I know I asked this before, but I never got an answer.)

1. Open Cave Editor.
2. Open your game executable.
3. Click on "Game Settings" on the right hand side of Cave Editor.
4. Check the "Remove (C)Pixel requirement for Images" box.
5. Change the pbm extension to bmp.
6. Save the game using CE.
7. Go to your mod's folder, go to the data folder, and edit the MyChar.bmp file using Microsoft Paint or some other editor.
8. You're done!

Aug 17, 2011 at 11:28 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Carrotlord said:
1. Open Cave Editor.
2. Open your game executable.
3. Click on "Game Settings" on the right hand side of Cave Editor.
4. Check the "Remove (C)Pixel requirement for Images" box.
5. Change the pbm extension to bmp.
6. Save the game using CE.
7. Go to your mod's folder, go to the data folder, and edit the MyChar.bmp file using Microsoft Paint or some other editor.
8. You're done!

You forgot 1 thing, when you edit the image, save it as 24-bit map. This is VERY important. Saving as 16 or 128-bit screws up your colors.

Aug 17, 2011 at 11:41 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
HyMyNameIsMatt said:

That's gotta be one hella large bitmap file

Aug 18, 2011 at 1:26 AM
Been here way too long...
And it would be MORE colors than a 24 bit, not less!

128 Bit Bitmaps - The graphics of the future.

Aug 18, 2011 at 2:42 AM
Not anymore
HyMyNameIsMatt said:
You forgot 1 thing, when you edit the image, save it as 24-bit map. This is VERY important. Saving as 16 or 128-bit screws up your colors.

Well, I suppose. I do use 24-bit colors because I'm too lazy to stick with anything else.

However, some people purposely use a small palette because it gives off that "Cave Story" feeling. Pixel managed his art just fine with a handful of colors per image.

Aug 18, 2011 at 2:55 AM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Carrotlord said:
Well, I suppose. I do use 24-bit colors because I'm too lazy to stick with anything else.

However, some people purposely use a small palette because it gives off that "Cave Story" feeling. Pixel managed his art just fine with a handful of colors per image.

Well of course, but using 16-bitmap means that the computer picks your colors for you. With 24-bitmap you can limit yourself to capture the minimum color effect.

Aug 18, 2011 at 2:57 AM
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
That's only for people using ms paint, or other inferior image editors

Aug 18, 2011 at 2:59 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Carrotlord said:

Also it reduces filesize greatly.

Aug 18, 2011 at 3:49 AM
Not anymore
HyMyNameIsMatt said:
Well of course, but using 16-bitmap means that the computer picks your colors for you. With 24-bitmap you can limit yourself to capture the minimum color effect.

Well, you know you can edit the palette...

Vercci said:
That's only for people using ms paint, or other inferior image editors

Paint.NET has a tendency to ask this too. Fortunately it can auto-detect how many bits you need depending on the colors used.

GIRakaCHEEZER said:

True.

Aug 18, 2011 at 2:11 PM
"Huzzah!"
GIRakaCHEEZER said:

Sure, but lets face it, with a modern internet connection, theres little difference in the feeble download size. A cave story with more colours will take only seconds longer to download or transfer. Not really an issue to give too much weight.

Aug 18, 2011 at 5:08 PM
"Huzzah!"
HyMyNameIsMatt said:

well, First off, I would do that, but I don't know how. and also ms paint won't let me use any of the colors correctly e.g. when I click on yellow, it comes out as lime green.:(

Aug 18, 2011 at 5:48 PM
Not anymore
linkruler said:
well, First off, I would do that, but I don't know how.

diph.php

Aug 18, 2011 at 6:04 PM
"Huzzah!"
ok, thanks, but ms paint still only lets me use only gray, lime green, and red

Aug 18, 2011 at 6:23 PM
It's doing that because you haven't made it 24 bit yet, and it's operating off a pallette.