Aug 14, 2011 at 2:33 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Re: Character change?

HyMyNameIsMatt said:
You don't. Sue's Workshop can glitchy with new images unless you do something with them, which I don't remember right now.
Remove the (C)Pixel requirement. It's in a sticky :[

edit: or it used to be a sticky. the thread is now linked to in a sticky, which should be enough.

Aug 14, 2011 at 2:43 AM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."

Lace said:
Remove the (C)Pixel requirement. It's in a sticky :[

edit: or it used to be a sticky. the thread is now linked to in a sticky, which should be enough.

I don't know because I never used Sue's to edit images. But Cave editor is never the less the prefered program. Especially if you want to use a few hacks or some new music. Sue's won't work if you make certain changes to the game.

EDIT: Why don't we have a commonly asked questions thread in the sticky for this? That would be WAY better than putting a bunch of stickies up there.

Aug 14, 2011 at 3:42 AM
"Huzzah!"

HyMyNameIsMatt said:
I don't know because I never used Sue's to edit images. But Cave editor is never the less the prefered program. Especially if you want to use a few hacks or some new music. Sue's won't work if you make certain changes to the game.

EDIT: Why don't we have a commonly asked questions thread in the sticky for this? That would be WAY better than putting a bunch of stickies up there.

Well, I got cave editor, but when I uzipped it, I tried to open doukustu.exe with it, but it won't open it.
EDIT: this is what it says: Error loading config file. J:\cave story\ CaveEditor.txt

Aug 14, 2011 at 5:16 AM
I don't anymore.

When you load the actual game or when you try to open a map with it? Also, don't use Cave Editor and then Sue's Workshop. Cave Editor makes a change to the exe and Sue's freaks out and breaks your game. you can copy all the files to a fresh game's folder though.

Aug 14, 2011 at 5:18 AM
"Huzzah!"

When I load the game

Aug 14, 2011 at 5:28 AM
I don't anymore.

I can't think of why it would be doing that other than the exe not working. Um... you might wanna right click your game folder, go to settings, and uncheck the box that says read only. Cave Editor won't load files if you don't. If it doesn't fix it, then copy the folder named "Data" and put that folder on a brand new game replacing the old one. If not, then upload a copy of your game and we shall examine it.

Aug 14, 2011 at 5:32 AM
"Huzzah!"

HyMyNameIsMatt said:
I can't think of why it would be doing that other than the exe not working. Um... you might wanna right click your game folder, go to settings, and uncheck the box that says read only. Cave Editor won't load files if you don't. If it doesn't fix it, then copy the folder named "Data" and put that folder on a brand new game replacing the old one. If not, then upload a copy of your game and we shall examine it.

1. already have.
2. I'll try that.
3. I don't know how.

EDIT: well I did contact the owner of cave editor via email, so I'll try that first.

Aug 14, 2011 at 5:37 AM

Did you check to see if caveeditor.txt was in J:\cave story? That's what the error says is wrong.

Aug 14, 2011 at 5:41 AM
"Huzzah!"

well j: is the flash drive I keep cave story in. and cave story is the folder I keep my cave story things in:momo:

Aug 14, 2011 at 5:45 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator

linkruler said:
well j: is the flash drive I keep cave story in. and cave story is the folder I keep my cave story things in:momo:

So is CaveEditor.txt in the folder or not?

Aug 14, 2011 at 5:46 AM
"Huzzah!"

ohhhhh. I only unzipped the application into the folder. not the text. :awesomeface::eek::muscledoc::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Aug 14, 2011 at 3:57 PM

fancy that!
I imagine it works now then?

Aug 14, 2011 at 7:32 PM
"Huzzah!"

yes it does!:):p:p:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::o:muscledoc::balrog::pignon::sue::awesomeface:

Aug 14, 2011 at 9:24 PM
"Huzzah!"
New to cave editor

I got cave editor, and made objects, but I don't know how to interact.
EDIT: oops should've posted it in a different thread

Aug 14, 2011 at 9:29 PM
CUSTOMIZED!
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Re: New to cave editor

Interact with what? Next time post this here It is what it is designed for. Do you mean you have put down entities and then make something happen. This is called TSC script editing. What I suggest you do is that you go this this website:
http://wtfstory.wordpress.com/

On the side here you will see Modding MISC click Noxid's guide to modding. Download this and start reading this. It will help you with starting modding :pignon:

Once you understand some more of the basics what you have to do is called Script Editing. You will see that it is often referred to as TSC. This is how you make the entities do stuff.

Aug 15, 2011 at 1:49 PM
"Huzzah!"
Hey i have a bit of a problem with a fake death sequence. You see, in my mod there are dream sequences. During these, you shouldnt be able to die.

When you fall down bottomless pits (a dream only phenomenon) Mado wakes up and quickly goes back to sleep. Thats fine. However, i need it to do that when he dies of HP loss when only in a dream. So i tried this:

I set it up so that flag 0127 turns on when he falls asleep, telling the game he is dreaming. I placed a flag jump for 0127 at the very begining of the fatal hit script. It's set to jump to the "waking up" part which replaces the "you were never seen again" script. This jumps to the actual "wakes up" event.

It does work, when he dies in a dream, he wakes up and goes back to sleep. However, his sprite isnt there, not when he wakes up, or back in the dream world. He cant move or even turn, just fire.

I tried putting a SMC in the "dream start" TSC, but it isnt working.

I could get around it by simply letting him "die" and reload as normal. It'd just be cooler and make more sense if he woke up.

Aug 15, 2011 at 3:53 PM
Professional Whatever
It seems you found one of my discarded sidequests for MS. Heh.
You'll need some ASM for this. I'm not even sure myself how to do this, but it should be at 419910 - that's the take damage function. You need to put a PUSH equaling the TSC flag and then a CALL to the flag check function which I don't know off the top of my head. That sets either 0 (if it's not set) or 1 (if it is) to EAX I believe. Then you can CMP EAX,1 before the explosion, and JE to another location for the other sequence.

Aug 15, 2011 at 4:31 PM
Yeah what's happening is that when you die, FIRST your character is removed from existence, and THEN the tsc event is called. I'm not sure I would mess with this because it would look wacky if you made him exist always, but if you want to, that code lune posted is the right place to look.

Edit: Also it would be easier/more space efficient just to and the flag offset by the right mount then to call the function and cmp that. Anyways, that could be used to easily circumvent the problem I just brought up - just make it so you die if the flag isn't set.

Aug 15, 2011 at 4:34 PM
Professional Whatever
Well with that you could make it immediately cut to the wake up sequence so that it doesn't look weird. You don't even need a FAO. That I think would look alright.

Aug 16, 2011 at 11:48 AM
CUSTOMIZED!
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Ok I know this is kind of an odd question to ask. I'm using a HV trigger and Once I have finished my message it keeps playing. This is the setup I am using.

<KEY<MSG Blah blah<NOD Blah blah <NOD etc..... and then at the end <NOD<END

Do I need to set something with the flags. I've forgotten what to do... Thanks