Jul 15, 2010 at 10:48 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Does anyone use idraw to edit sprites in cavestory?

Jul 15, 2010 at 12:40 PM
"Huzzah!"
I've used alot of things myself. But i find just paint is the best so far, which is kind of sad. Mainly because, when you use the eyedropper, it switches automatically back to the previously used tool. It doesnt even do that in photoshop! WHo needs to use the eyedropper, then useit again immediately after? >.>

Jul 15, 2010 at 1:38 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Miles_Valentine said:
I've used alot of things myself. But i find just paint is the best so far, which is kind of sad. Mainly because, when you use the eyedropper, it switches automatically back to the previously used tool. It doesnt even do that in photoshop! WHo needs to use the eyedropper, then useit again immediately after? >.>

Shit, paint sure is superior.

Jul 15, 2010 at 5:35 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
I only use Paint.NET for it's EASY TO ACCESS unlimited color palette.

Also, I somehow had doukutsu.exe (Which I renamed to "The Island.exe") not read-only.

Besides, the icon is the only resource I can't edit.

Proof

Jul 15, 2010 at 5:38 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
adark said:
I only use Paint.NET for it's unlimited color palette.

MS paint doesn't have a limited palette. Someone obviously doesn't know how to use the "custom colors" feature.

But ms paint is only really usefully for pixel art, or to draw something simple quickly. Otherwise you should use something like paint.NET or GIMP really.

Jul 15, 2010 at 5:40 PM
I just read a little back into this thread. Is it a problem if the OS for the computer I'm using is a Vista?

Jul 16, 2010 at 1:33 AM
Been here way too long...
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
adark said:
I just read a little back into this thread. Is it a problem if the OS for the computer I'm using is a Vista?

It shouldn't be. I'm stuck with a vista half the time I'm modding, and I haven't had any problems (excluding the non-modding related problems because it's vista).

Jul 16, 2010 at 4:11 AM
Okay.

Still can't get the icon to upload into that window right, and now CE isn't letting me edit ANYTHING.

It gives me an error whenever I try to save changes to a map or script. I can still use The CE Stand Alone Script Editor, but I can't edit maps. Help?

Jul 16, 2010 at 5:10 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Right click on the folder with your mod/hack, and then click on properties. Then, uncheck "Read Only". It should save.

Jul 16, 2010 at 5:35 AM
PROBLEM RESOLVED.

You people kept telling me to make the Doukutsu.exe file not read-only, when you should have been telling me to make the data folder not read-only.

Now please never make me wade through hundreds of search results that don't help to find the ONE that does again.

Still can't edit the icon, though...

Jul 16, 2010 at 7:35 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Landonpeanut said:
The entire folder of doukutsu is (by default) read-only. Open up properties, and uncheck the box that says read-only.

I did.:)

Also, I think that they were saying that the doukutsu.exe needs to be not read-only to change the icon. Looks like that isn't the only problem though.

Jul 16, 2010 at 7:45 AM
Todo: Get better glasses and reading skills.

I don't think that is the problem, 'cause the file was not read-only from the start.

Jul 18, 2010 at 8:30 PM
"Huzzah!"
This is probably a silly question but...

I've already extended my Face.pbm to hold the maximum number of faces (and i will be using most of them) but i'm wondering if there is a safe way to extend a tileset? You see, i want to make a completely different "all water" tile. I knwo its probably possible, but i just dont know how to do it. And i knwo thigns can go badly wrong if you do things liek this willy nilly.

Jul 18, 2010 at 8:41 PM
inactive user
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Miles_Valentine said:
This is probably a silly question but...

I've already extended my Face.pbm to hold the maximum number of faces (and i will be using most of them) but i'm wondering if there is a safe way to extend a tileset? You see, i want to make a completely different "all water" tile. I knwo its probably possible, but i just dont know how to do it. And i knwo thigns can go badly wrong if you do things liek this willy nilly.

Safe to extend
V downwards

Not safe to extend
> sideways
Make sure the width is 256 px.

Also, don't do it on a computer with lots of administrative locks on it, or the tileset will die. (I learned this the hard way) Prob'ly a good idea to make backups of the original tileset too.

Jul 18, 2010 at 8:53 PM
"Huzzah!"
Thanks man.

I just downloaded a free backup program called cobian 10... And you can set it up to backup the whole hack directory every (time delay), with timestamps. I set it running on full backup every half hour when i'm working, so i have copies of the hack at the last 5 half hours. So i only ever lose half an hours work. (This is insanely helpful when messing with assembly, which can be dangerous)

It's proven very useful for me so just puttin that out there.

Jul 18, 2010 at 8:55 PM
inactive user
Miles_Valentine said:
Thanks man.

I just downloaded a free backup program called cobian 10... And you can set it up to backup the whole hack directory every (time delay), with timestamps. I set it running on full backup every half hour when i'm working, so i have copies of the hack at the last 5 half hours. So i only ever lose half an hours work.

It's proven very useful for me so just puttin that out there.

Holy f$#@ing shit.

I just do it manually whenever I make an edit.
Code:
[Mod]

Ctrl+C

Ctrl+V

[Copy of Mod]

Jul 18, 2010 at 9:58 PM
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Don't put more than 256 tiles in a tileset. It makes bad voodoo happen

Jul 18, 2010 at 10:39 PM
inactive user
Vercci said:
Don't put more than 256 tiles in a tileset. It makes bad voodoo happen

?

Xaser did

Jul 18, 2010 at 10:47 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I doubt it seeing as the tile number is a single byte and therefore anything over 256 results in wraparound. Simply put it's not possible.
EDIT: Without assembly...

also Face.pbm can extend at least far enough down to be ridiculously large so that should not be a problem.

Jul 18, 2010 at 10:48 PM
inactive user
Noxid said:
I doubt it seeing as the tile number is a single byte and therefore anything over 256 results in wraparound.

oh thats what happened

the issue was the tileset was too big, not the computer sucked. (well the computer still sucked.)