Jul 13, 2010 at 12:23 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Noxid said:
Tileset changes are applied to the .exe file itself, in the map data. If it didn't say "Error saving map data!", then chances are you simply didn't actually save it. Saving the .exe with CE is done by going to the main selection menu (the one where all the maps are listed) and hitting File > Save.
No, I definitely saved it, and I am definitely using the right .pxe and .exe. Just because I'm new doesn't mean I'm dumb.

Noxid said:
As for having more than 94 maps, I believe that 124 or something is natively supported by the game. The problem with CE is that if you make a *new* map, then it won't have a background due to a bug. Instead, you can work around this by using *Copy Map* to copy an existing map into slot 95, and then the bg will be intact and you can change it to whatever you please.
Thank you. If I can't solve my first problem, that should work until I start using my own tilesets.

Jul 13, 2010 at 9:31 AM
"Huzzah!"
I managed to find data on on animations, sounds and music, so thats no longer a problem. But i still cant fogure out how to make the game load different PC sprites...In order to make the boosting pose seperate from walking and jumping.

Jul 13, 2010 at 3:31 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Edit MyChar.pbm. I think the one with the little green dot near him is his boosting pose, and the one next to it (can't remember which side; just look for one that's basically the same but without the green dot).

Jul 13, 2010 at 3:41 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Miles_Valentine said:
I managed to find data on on animations, sounds and music, so thats no longer a problem. But i still cant fogure out how to make the game load different PC sprites...In order to make the boosting pose seperate from walking and jumping.

The boosting sprite is recycled; it uses one of the jumping sprites. The jumping sprites, are, in turn, recycled from the walking sprites. There's not really a way to change this without a pretty extensive hack, due to the way the frames work.

Jul 13, 2010 at 4:41 PM
"Huzzah!"
Ah right, thats a shame. The main problem is that his boosting pose has both of his feet off the ground and it looks pretty goofy when he's walking. I guess i'll have to rework the sprites. I'm learning assembly at the moment and i doubt i'm capable of anything you'd consider extensive Noxid. SO far the extent of my ability in that department is makign a full screen title ^_^;

Jul 13, 2010 at 7:55 PM
I'm not going away until someone finds the compassion in their cold, dead heart to tell me why I can't change the tile set of any map. It's not absolutely necessary for making a mod, but it sure would be convenient. I removed the (C) Pixel requirement, none of the files are read-only, and I am definitely saving my progress. Then I tried Sue's Workshop, and when I tried to load a map it said "Can't load tileset."
Does my computer hate me?

Jul 13, 2010 at 9:14 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Captain Fabulous said:
Does my computer hate me?

I think so. I've never had that issue before, and no one else has either IIRC.

Did you change the files to .bmp's? (There's only 1 Sue's Workshop that reads bitmaps, so that might be the issue there)

Also more importantly what version of Cave Editor are you using? I heard the most recent version was bugged in script editing (which is completely unrelated to map details), but maybe it is the cause of your troubles? (I used 0.98d myself).

And also might as well post your operating system details, since the more information we have, the easier it will be to diagnose the problem.

Jul 13, 2010 at 9:33 PM
I have a fresh version of Cave Story. The only change I made is removing read-only attributes. I am using Cave Editor 0.98d.
And system specs, for the slight chance that it makes any difference:
Windows Vista SP2
32-bit OS
Intel Core2 CPU 1.86 GHz
2 GB of RAM

Jul 13, 2010 at 9:35 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I have an idea.
Vista :3
Is your .exe in the "Program Files" folder? That could probably cause problems.

Jul 13, 2010 at 9:53 PM
Why yes.
Yes it is.
D:<
I'll report back later with the result of moving the whole shebang.
EDIT: Yeah, that worked. On a side note, I changed the Grasstown shelter's tile set. In the intro with Kazuma, Quote appeared, as in the invisibility flag was off, though I didn't touch it. Should I be worried?

Jul 13, 2010 at 10:42 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I figured it would be something like that. In vista+, the computer's program files have this sort of odd automatic "Read only" sort of deal. It's confusing to say the least since you don't really get warnings.

Anyway, as for the cutscene, it sounds like you are missing a <HMC before the <TRA. Probably not an issue, but an easy fix is to put <HMC before the <FAI on the event in the grasstown shelter, and then a <SMC after the <FAO at the end of said event.

Jul 13, 2010 at 10:56 PM
Yes, I understand what the problem is. My concern was that I did not edit the script. Not a big deal, just odd.

Jul 14, 2010 at 3:09 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
I'm having a problem replacing the icon for the Cave Story app with my custom icon.
I'm using Resource Hacker that came with DragonBoot's Editing Tools v1.1

What I'm doing:
In Resource Hacker, I "Open" The Cave Story app.
I click on the "Icon Group" folder and from there the "0" folder.
I right-click and select "Replace Resource..."
I then click "Open file with new icon..."
From there, I select the picture I'm using to replace the icon(The file is saved as a *.ico file, and the image is 32X32 Pixels).
Right after that I get an "Out of Memory" Error, and nothing changes.

What am I doing wrong?

Jul 14, 2010 at 11:01 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
the image is 32X32 Pixels
It's supposed to be 16X16, not 32X32. (Tested that with the CaveStoryIcons that came with the CSDeluxe download)

Jul 15, 2010 at 3:10 AM
Thanks, but why does it say that the large icon is 32X32?

EDIT: Nope, I'm still getting an "Out of Memory" error.
Would it help if I used Microsoft Paint instead of Paint.NET?

Jul 15, 2010 at 3:42 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hm.. I think I heard you can only use Paint, not Paint.net. Paint.net messes things up, I think..

Jul 15, 2010 at 4:12 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
PhyscoKamek said:
Hm.. I think I heard you can only use Paint, not Paint.net. Paint.net messes things up, I think..

NO
Lies and BLASPHEMY

Paint.net is the best thing that ever happened to me I use it for everything. It automatically does palletes for 8bit bitmaps! Check read-only on douktusu.exe or make sure it is not in Program Files, etc.

Jul 15, 2010 at 4:23 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Oh, must of misread. (Didn't know it did automatically o.o)

Jul 15, 2010 at 4:57 AM
Check read only? WTH does that mean?

Also, nothing I use in Program Files.

Jul 15, 2010 at 5:51 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
The entire folder of doukutsu is (by default) read-only. Open up properties, and uncheck the box that says read-only.