Jul 1, 2010 at 7:14 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
WoodenRat said:
What am I doing wrong? T_T

p196957-0-wtfynotwork.png

You need to write "MOV DWORD PTR DS:[49E6D0], 60"

Olly is picky about declaring variable sizes.

[Edit]: Carrotlord I'm pretty sure you need the PTR DS: too, since that tells it how to get the offset.

Jul 1, 2010 at 7:20 PM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
[Edit]: Carrotlord I'm pretty sure you need the PTR DS: too, since that tells it how to get the offset.

Not really. If you type MOV DWORD [49E6D0], 60, then Olly, by default, puts in PTR DS: for you.

Jul 1, 2010 at 7:28 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
So what you're saying is, I should get the 2.00 version?

Jul 1, 2010 at 10:43 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
carrotlord said:
Not really. If you type MOV DWORD [49E6D0], 60, then Olly, by default, puts in PTR DS: for you.

Indeed, in version 1.(43?) there's even an option to turn of the display of the "superfluous info" like PTR, DS/SS and even the register size if it's explicit (such as when you're working with registers like eax, you could just type MOV EAX, [49E6D0])

The reason I don't like version 2 in fact is simply because I can't find that option and all those words are distracting to me.

Jul 1, 2010 at 11:47 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Noxid said:
Indeed, in version 1.(43?) there's even an option to turn of the display of the "superfluous info" like PTR, DS/SS and even the register size if it's explicit (such as when you're working with registers like eax, you could just type MOV EAX, [49E6D0])

The reason I don't like version 2 in fact is simply because I can't find that option and all those words are distracting to me.

Thanks Noxid.

Jul 2, 2010 at 12:16 AM
Creating A Legacy...
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Need some help, Made my own custom background and it doesnt matter which old one i use (Bkblue.pbm or Bkmoon.pbm) when i enter the room it shows for a second then dissapears, if i set it be a fixed background it doesnt but if i make it 1-Move slow or any other thats when the problems start, :D

Jul 2, 2010 at 12:51 AM
"Huzzah!"
Pretty serious problem herei spent a lot of time today making a map
and it was workign fine. But one playthrough it crashed when i entered
that room. Whats more, Cave editor crashes whenever i try to open it!
(the map) I'm kinda panicking, i've been modding sprites and code for
the first time and i dont want to lose it all...

Jul 2, 2010 at 3:06 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
not sure about fixing it, but to backup files: .pbm is the image, .tsc is the script of the level, and .pxm+.pxe are the tile arrangements.
go into the data folder and copy the files with the map NAME(not what appears when you go into the room) to another folder.

Jul 2, 2010 at 3:30 AM
Pirate Member
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
as for CaveEditor, i hear that 0.98e is pretty buggy atm but that 0.98d should be more stable. which version do you have?

Jul 2, 2010 at 1:42 PM
"Huzzah!"
Well i was on the "e" version but i replaced it with "d".

And i attempted to extract both of those files and put them into
a basic copy of cave story and it couldnt load it either. SO the problem
is either with the script or the level itself.

Script editor succesfully opened cave.tsc by the way. (the script associated
with my level)

Jul 4, 2010 at 12:47 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
What number is the map? (You know, the numbers right next to the name where you select the level to edit) Because when I make a map that has a number past 96, the map crashes and I can't open it.(Basically what happened to you) I dunno if you can save it if this happened to you.
Edit: Now I have a problem... Can CaveEditor copy and paste the scripts? I don't want to rewrite a whole script just for starting a battle...

Jul 7, 2010 at 12:49 AM
Creating A Legacy...
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Right using Noxids 2x res hack (Dunno if that matters)

Edited something in the mimiga village and now when i attempted to open the map in CE it says error loading map,
Copieed the maps and there data and renamed them and its still saying it, any help?

Jul 7, 2010 at 5:39 AM
Been here way too long...
Isn't it something about double res making it impossible to use in a editor, like the double res hack is supposed to be the final thing that happens to it?

Jul 7, 2010 at 9:38 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Oh right.
Maybe, I kind of forget; the public-use hack is a bit different than the one I use myself. Well, a reasonable solution would be to do the mod with a regular cave story and then have two copies of the gfx (a 2x on and then one where you shrink them) and then wait until you are actually done to give me the .exe

This is like, the recommended method.

Jul 12, 2010 at 1:02 AM
"Huzzah!"
(It's no big deal that i lost the second hack i made. I'm making a new
one that is more plot driven... Rather inspired from Noxids Strife and
Sacrifice and Mimiga Army... Both of which are so far, great examples
of how to tell a story in a hack. But i digress)

I've been working out alot of this stuff thanks to DragonBoots documentation. But i really havent a clue how to create an animation. Like make use of walking
sprites for NPCs in a cutscene or even something more complex. I dont know what the animate feature is capable of really, and how to set one up.

And i'd like to say i've felt very encouraged thanks to the exemplary pointers i've been given. I know exploration and experimentation is more helpful than being taken by the hand through something, but we do need to crawl before we walk. It's a fun little hobby ^^

Edit:

Here is my sprite sheet (in progress) for Mado, the main character of my hack.

I assumed the sprites where quote has a little red thing on his back represnt him using the booster... (the sprites that are in a column) So i made it look liek mado was holding the controls and has his paws raised off the ground. But i tried using the char in Corridor, tocheck the booster sprites and he simply uses the jumping sprite while boosting. Where of course i wanted him to adopt my boosting pose.

Also, does anyone have comprehensive lists for variables? for example the music variables and sound variables? It's tough finding the right ones.

Edit 2:

The yellow and white squares represent the exact boundaries of each sprite. Something i worked out so i used all of the sprite i could. It's not perfect yet, but when it is, i'll release the yellow and white checkerboard to help other new hackers.

Jul 12, 2010 at 6:32 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Wow I missed this. At least if I can't reach 1000 posts, my thread can. Thank you to everyone for making this so successful.

I shall celebrate by continuing to allow the people who actually know how to hack the game answer most of the questions.

Jul 12, 2010 at 11:20 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Help Cave Editor something wrong!

Everyone when i use Cave editor when i edit something like tile set or whatever then i finish editing then save it pops up something and says error cant save tile set data whats that?

Jul 12, 2010 at 11:29 AM
Jul 13, 2010 at 12:00 AM
Re: Help Cave Editor something wrong!

So, I don't care how many times this has been asked. I didn't bother to thread this thread past the first page (can you blame me?), but I did search teh frumz and got nothing.
First of all, can you change the tileset of an original Cave Story map? I was trying it with Clock, and even though Cave Editor assured me I was using Almond, Cave Story was like "NOPE, IT'S STILL OSIDE. OLOLOL."
If that's impossible (or involves a hex editor, resource hacker, assembly, etc), just tell me how to have more than 94 maps, because that didn't work either.
Please and thank you.

Jul 13, 2010 at 12:16 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Tileset changes are applied to the .exe file itself, in the map data. If it didn't say "Error saving map data!", then chances are you simply didn't actually save it. Saving the .exe with CE is done by going to the main selection menu (the one where all the maps are listed) and hitting File > Save.

As for having more than 94 maps, I believe that 124 or something is natively supported by the game. The problem with CE is that if you make a *new* map, then it won't have a background due to a bug. Instead, you can work around this by using *Copy Map* to copy an existing map into slot 95, and then the bg will be intact and you can change it to whatever you please.