Jul 23, 2010 at 7:29 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Well, I got around my problems.

New question: How do you get an enemy to get its sprite from NPC Tileset 2?

Jul 23, 2010 at 7:47 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
You mean the second NPC sprite option for each map? Those are set up to only work with specific enemies, although I've never seen a list for them anywhere. You should be able to tell what NPCs can be used that way by looking at how they're used in CS.

Jul 23, 2010 at 7:52 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
adark said:
Well, I got around my problems.

New question: How do you get an enemy to get its sprite from NPC Tileset 2?

It's specified in the npc.tbl, which spritesheet it grabs it from. Just edit the npc.tbl.

Jul 23, 2010 at 7:59 AM
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
It's specified in the npc.tbl, which spritesheet it grabs it from. Just edit the npc.tbl.

Thanks, didn't see that.

Jul 23, 2010 at 10:03 AM
"Huzzah!"
Hey there, i'm trying to make an after image effect for a part in my mod. Basically, parented to your position, there should be after images of "what you just did." lazily following you, fading away to nothing the longer they have existed. I'd like it to trigger when certain maps are entered ideally.

I found Rune Lancers post on special effects:
http://www.cavestory.org/forums/threads/861/

And what i thoguht was using the booster smoke effect might be an option? Seeing as it follows you, and lags depending on velocity? I dotn really know how to set that up or if i'm on the rigth track.

Jul 23, 2010 at 12:23 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I don't actually think the booster smoke follows you per se, rather it just has a set velocity in one of the four cardinal directions. Another issue that might come up is the fact that there's no support for transparency (DirectDraw7 doesn't support alpha blending), so the fading might look a tad awkward.

Basically I imagine you'd have to do it from scratch; create two entites, one for the "spawner" that generates an entity at the player position, and assigns the player frame to the direction. Then for the other entity just have it count down and change the frame # however you want so it "fades"

It wouldn't be monumentally challenging but for someone new to ASM it sounds kinda tough.

Jul 23, 2010 at 12:45 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Noxid said:
I don't actually think the booster smoke follows you per se, rather it just has a set velocity in one of the four cardinal directions. Another issue that might come up is the fact that there's no support for transparency (DirectDraw7 doesn't support alpha blending), so...

You could just do what sega genesis did, instead of transparency use something I like to call a "net".

p197087-0-2yya5qc.png

I drew a picture to explain it.

Jul 23, 2010 at 12:49 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
There is that. Thing is with CS the resolution is so low that method is somewhat less effective...

There is actually one method I like to use, which is to have the sprite not be drawn every other frame; it makes a sort of flickery pseudo-translucency.

Jul 23, 2010 at 12:57 PM
Pirate Member
Noxid said:
There is that. Thing is with CS the resolution is so low that method is somewhat less effective...

There is actually one method I like to use, which is to have the sprite not be drawn every other frame; it makes a sort of flickery pseudo-translucency.

Oh you mean like blinking it? That sounds great, of course that requires extreme ass hacking...

Also my "net" trick, it only works in 2x res I suppose. Plus you gotta be black.

Jul 23, 2010 at 1:14 PM
"Huzzah!"
This certainly is soundign difficult. But i geuss i'll just have to create some copies of the exe and hack away till i get somewhere. Thanks for the tips, at least i know how to get started. I hope you dont mind if i ask soemthing trivial if i get stuck.

Edit:Upon reading into it, really dont think i'm capable of it at the moment. I think i need to develop a more solid understanding of how to modify and make NPCs before i start this. I've been using resources from RuneLancer, S.P and that neat guide from Dooie. Guess i need to keep at it until i feel like i'm swimming in code ratehr than drownign in code.

Jul 23, 2010 at 11:27 PM
Where is that little "?" that appears when Quote looks back at nothing found?

Jul 23, 2010 at 11:42 PM
Pirate Member
Caret.bmp or something I might be wrong

Jul 24, 2010 at 12:05 AM
Been here way too long...
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
I have a question: how do I change the fire rate of the bubbler or machine gun?

Jul 24, 2010 at 12:06 AM
graters gonna grate
Assembly. I think there's a list of weapon value offsets on the tribute site somewhere.

Jul 24, 2010 at 12:07 AM
Been here way too long...
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Wedge of Cheese said:
Assembly. I think there's a list of weapon value offsets on the tribute site somewhere.

I have all of that, it's not an offset I think.

EDIT: Problem Solved, thanks Noxid.

Jul 28, 2010 at 1:46 AM
inactive user
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd....

*GivesuponusingCEtomodbecausebackgroundstoofuckedup*

*pant pant*

Jul 28, 2010 at 1:51 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
666Seconds >:[
How hard can it be to just *not* use the New Map feature?
Seriously.

Jul 28, 2010 at 2:51 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
MOA I NEED HELPZ!
I made track in Org Maker and wanted to implement it into game. I did everything exactly as it is written here http://www.cavestory.org/forums/posts/43164/ but the game crashed after playing first tone of the track (it was CS theme btw). I dont know what could be wrong, any tips?
Thanks for reply

Jul 28, 2010 at 4:19 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
hovnus said:
MOA I NEED HELPZ!
I made track in Org Maker and wanted to implement it into game. I did everything exactly as it is written here http://www.cavestory.org/forums/posts/43164/ but the game crashed after playing first tone of the track (it was CS theme btw). I dont know what could be wrong, any tips?
Thanks for reply

You are probably just using too many drum tracks (only the first 6 are allowed, and they will be played as a specific set regardless of what you set them to). Please read this thread for further information about orgs that can be imported into Cave Story:http://www.cavestory.org/forums/threads/1767/

Jul 29, 2010 at 1:18 AM
inactive user
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Noxid said:
666Seconds >:[
How hard can it be to just *not* use the New Map feature?
Seriously.

I DNT! I EDIT OLD! WY?

I'm typing this on my BRAND NEW LAPTOP :D