Apr 3, 2010 at 6:19 PM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
That's really strange. When I make a new map with CE, I can remove the "ý" and write new script with no problems. Also no event #9999 necessary.

Which version of CE are you using? The latest version 0.98e has some serious TSC editing bugs (often crashes when you are editing). 0.98d seems to be more stable.

Apr 3, 2010 at 6:24 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
*Shrugs*

carrotlord said:
That's really strange. When I make a new map with CE, I can remove the "ý" and write new script with no problems. Also no event #9999 necessary.
Do you add more than two events before saving?
I think there's something about just having one event in the entire script that causes the problem...
So as a rule of thumb, I just make new maps with a #9999 at the bottom, but you could do the same with a #0001 and #0002....

Apr 3, 2010 at 6:27 PM
Been here way too long...
No you can't.
Head.tsc is attached to the beginning of every tsc file, and you know the rule about having events in order. If the first event in your map tsc file is less than the last one in head, serious shit happens.

I still don't understand why you need that in CE and not SW, but ah well.

Apr 3, 2010 at 6:27 PM
Not anymore
VoidMage_Lowell said:
Do you add more than two events before saving?
I think there's something about just having one event in the entire script that causes the problem...

Nope. Just put one event #0100 into the script. Saves fine.

Of course, I didn't test if the room itself would work when you play the game, but the problem is specifically with "unable to save script in CE", so I didn't bother to check.

Apr 3, 2010 at 6:30 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Re: *Shrugs*

Most of the time it crashes just from loading any map's script from the original cave story.

Anyways when I copy paste

and try to write anything between those two events, everything crashes. It also crashes when I move the Script's window so that I could see the whole map.

What am I doing wrong?

Apr 3, 2010 at 6:30 PM
I'd really like to know why this thing is happening, not because it effects me, but just as a matter of curiosity.
Needing two events seems like a very arbitrary need, and not needing them when someone else does is even weirder.
You tried the standalone script editor?

Apr 3, 2010 at 6:32 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Lace said:
No you can't.
Head.tsc is attached to the beginning of every tsc file, and you know the rule about having events in order. If the first event in your map tsc file is less than the last one in head, serious shit happens.
Sorry, I'm still half asleep here.
I just mean any numbers will work...
carrotlord said:
Nope. Just put one event #0100 into the script. Saves fine.

Of course, I didn't test if the room itself would work when you play the game, but the problem is specifically with "unable to save script in CE", so I didn't bother to check.
Hmm, well, did you add any more code besides that, like an <END?
Code:
<END
Saves fine, but
Code:
by itself crashes, so apparently saving the script with only one line of code causes the crash.
Should probably bring this up to Wistil, and it'll be fixed rather quickly...
WoodenRat said:
Most of the time it crashes just from loading any map's script from the original cave story.

and try to write anything between those two events, everything crashes. It also crashes when I move the Script's window so that I could see the whole map.

What am I doing wrong?
Do you mean as soon as you write, or after you save?
Try simply typing this and saving:
Code:
<END

Apr 3, 2010 at 6:36 PM
Not anymore
If you type in #0100 and then press enter to create a newline, then it saves fine.

Typing in #0100 and doing nothing else will cause CE to crash when you save, indeed.

Oddly enough, an empty script also saves just fine. So it only happens when you have exactly one line in your script.

More relevant to WoodenRat's original problem:
WoodenRat said:

What am I doing wrong?

It seriously sounds like you're using 0.98e, in which script editing is messed up for some reason. I suggest downloading an earlier version, such as 0.98d, from the miraigamer downloads page.

Of course, if you're not using 0.98e, maybe it's something to do with your computer?

Apr 3, 2010 at 6:42 PM
Pirate Member
Lowell it happens as soon as I write in it, but sometimes it lets me save the script and it then crashes. It doesn't save any changes though.

Apr 3, 2010 at 6:47 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
What devil spawn is this

WoodenRat said:
Lowell it happens as soon as I write in it, but sometimes it lets me save the script and it then crashes. It doesn't save any changes though.
Try what carrot said,
carrotlord said:
It seriously sounds like you're using 0.98e, in which script editing is messed up for some reason. I suggest downloading an earlier version, such as 0.98d, from the miraigamer downloads page.
and if you're still having issues, try this too. {It's the stand-alone script editor}
It really does sound like a user problem, I've used CE since before the mass of new updates, and even with the quirky bugs it had back then, I've never experienced anything like the editor crashing as I typed....

Apr 3, 2010 at 6:51 PM
Pirate Member
Re: What devil spawn is this

Okay I downloaded the D version and whaddya know it works now!

At least it lets me save the edited script.

Thanks for the help guys :D

Apr 3, 2010 at 8:55 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
I have a feeling that my next response will contain *facepalm* but where are the music files stored in cavestory? I need to replace some of the songs with BETA music for my mod

Apr 3, 2010 at 9:03 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Sad face

cultr1 said:
I have a feeling that my next response will contain *facepalm* but where are the music files stored in cavestory? I need to replace some of the songs with BETA music for my mod
*Facepalm*
Look here.
Search Button!!
Well, that's how to add them, but to answer your original question the .ORGs are stored in the EXE itself.

Apr 3, 2010 at 9:03 PM
The Bucket Fairy
"..."
No facepalms here! The .ORG files are actually stored within the executable. Use Resource Hacker to extract/replace them.
edit: LLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL godie

Apr 3, 2010 at 9:19 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Also, Sue's Workshop doesn't properly handle the Windows executable format, so you'll only be able to use Cave Editor to edit a Cave Story with different music. (Unless maybe by some miracle the size of the old and new music is identical.)

Apr 3, 2010 at 10:10 PM
Celtic Minstrel said:
Sue's Workshop doesn't properly handle the Windows executable format.
CE doesn't either. it just moves the map data and music data around so that it won't screw up any offsets. But meh technicality, CE + New music = fine. SW + New Music = Puke.
Also, cultr, beta is not capitalized.

Apr 3, 2010 at 10:32 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Um, what? One of the advertised features for Cave Editor is specifically "Supports PEF [or whatever] executable file format for resource-friendly executables" or something like that.

Apr 3, 2010 at 10:50 PM
PE - Portable Executable.
And no, it doesn't, not according to Shining at least. Then again, his decision making powers are in the wrong about now, so you may be right.

Furthermore, cave Story itself isn't in the proper format, so sues is just being nice and keeping it all in the same place.

Apr 3, 2010 at 11:40 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Ok, I'm not sure why but the background images in cave story stopped working.

The background just appears as black for all of the maps, but I don't know why...

Maybe this is a bit hard to expain... so usually there wil be some image in the back and you can tell it to do stuff like scroll fast or move slot and follow you... well no matter what options i do it is always just black... i have no idea why.

Apr 3, 2010 at 11:51 PM
Pirate Member
Yeah I got a problem.

When I make a new map and set a start position there, the screen is black when I run cave story.

I figured it could be because the script was empty, so I added a...
Code:
<MSGlolsup<END
...in there.