Apr 3, 2010 at 11:55 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
WoodenRat said:
Yeah I got a problem.

When I make a new map and set a start position there, the screen is black when I run cave story.

I figured it could be because the script was empty, so I added a...
Code:
<MSGlolsup<END
...in there.

Need a <FAI0004 or the like in the start event

Apr 4, 2010 at 12:44 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Nostalgia

What exactly did you all do before it 'broke'?
CE use to have a problem like this, but it was fixed several versions ago...

Apr 4, 2010 at 12:50 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Re: Nostalgia

I'm not sure what I did... which is in part why I am asking.

The only thing I might recall is I changed the order of the maps and added a few new maps to my list... but im not entirely sure if that was what caused it.

Apr 4, 2010 at 1:16 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Well, this is going to be fun...

Hrm, that will make this hard to figure out...

Well, to start off, which Editor are you using? And are you making sure you're using the most up-to-date one? {Again, this use to be an issue for older versions}
And are there still some of the original CS maps in there? Ifso, did their Backgrounds get effected, too? {Which means that something's probably wrong with your EXE}

Apr 4, 2010 at 3:15 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Re: Well, this is going to be fun...

I use CE. Latest version..

Something is wrong with the EXE. I copied the EXE to the original CS and it appeared fine.

Apr 4, 2010 at 3:27 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Ah, getting somewhere

Did you use a different version of CE first?
Or, I'm surprised if your mod didn't die if you did, did you use SW before?

About your actual problem, there may be a way to fix it using a Hex Editor to manually set each background, but you could just start with a new EXE if you wanted to.
All your map data and sprites should be still usable, you'll just have to tell this EXE to use them.

Apr 4, 2010 at 3:44 AM
Been here way too long...
Oy woodenrat, you need #0101, not just #101. And what nox said.
Eric.... I just don't know anymore.

Apr 4, 2010 at 3:46 AM
Re: Ah, getting somewhere

Yeah, thanks for the help.

I plan to just port it to another exe. I need time to work on it though ill update you and let you know if it works.

Apr 4, 2010 at 3:54 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
And we have arrived at our destination

If you want to attempt to salvage the old EXE, here's a thread on how we use to fix the Background issue, when CE was less stable and had issues with backgrounds.
Though, that might mean you'd have to do that for every single room, even new ones, I'm not sure.

Apr 5, 2010 at 3:39 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Okay I got a problem.

When I'm using <TRA, I'm having trouble with WWWW, which map it's supposed to take me to. Is it the number near the map's name in the list? Or what?

Apr 5, 2010 at 5:02 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
That is indeed the number to use.
It wouldn't have hurt to just test it...

Apr 5, 2010 at 5:14 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
EDIT: Nevermind, as it turns out the first number shows which map I want to go to. And the last number shows which event to run. I'll figure out the rest.

EDIT2: Ok it works now, but when I get to the other map the game offers me to save, I'm somewhere off-screen and start drowning.

Apr 5, 2010 at 6:39 PM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
You have to teleport yourself to the correct coordinates, somewhere not offscreen. You can go and edit the map to see the tile coordinate system just by moving the mouse around and looking at the window title.

<TRAWWWW:XXXX:YYYY:ZZZZ

W is the map number, X is the event you want to run inside the map you're going to, Y and Z are the coordinates you want to go to. (just like X,Y coordinates on a graph).

Apr 6, 2010 at 12:53 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
looking at The first four scripts on a map (controlling map direction/music), I noticed the maps that play quiet have an extra script, causing them to play quiet when flag XXXX is dropped. Is there a limit to the number of scripts of that type a door responds to, or can there be an infinite number of them (say, 39, to be exact? ;))

Apr 6, 2010 at 12:59 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
I like flags...

cultr1 said:
looking at The first four scripts on a map (controlling map direction/music), I noticed the maps that play quiet have an extra script, causing them to play quiet when flag XXXX is dropped.
Sounds like you're talking about places like the Mimiga Village, which place a different song, but switch later in the game {Namely, Mimiga Village}, if you recall.
Hence the extra event.
cultr1 said:
Is there a limit to the number of scripts of that type a door responds to, or can there be an infinite number of them (say, 39, to be exact? ;))
If you use Flags, you could make the door respond/use thousands of different events.
Just remember to keep track of what flags you use, or you'll pull out all your hair later on, down the road :D;

Apr 6, 2010 at 1:18 AM
Update on my previous error.

steps to fix it..
grab a new exe replace your old one.
open the exe using CE reorder the maplist to mimic your previous exe.
done!
___

For some reason I'm getting a new error, one of my PXE files that I tried to copy and paste into my new exe gives me a error when i try to enter that map.

The error isn't 100% of the time but 50% of the time... I can either play on the map or not... just random...

Anyone know how to fix this?

I use CE.

Apr 6, 2010 at 1:28 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Tilesets are a pain

ericjlima said:
For some reason one of my PXE files that I tried to copy and pasted into a new game gives me a error when i try to enter that map.

The error isn't 100% of the time but 50% of the time... Anyone know how to fix this>

I use CE.
Did you try editing the PXE? {With CE}
The error might stem from a lot of things {Meaning there won't be a simple one-answer unless we can get more details on your problem...}, and if you didn't try editing the PXE at least a bit, it might be having issues readjusting...
And make sure the Width of your new tileset is exactly 256 pixels, too, or that will most definitely cause problems.

Apr 6, 2010 at 2:30 AM
Re: Tilesets are a pain

VoidMage_Lowell said:
Did you try editing the PXE? {With CE}
The error might stem from a lot of things {Meaning there won't be a simple one-answer unless we can get more details on your problem...}, and if you didn't try editing the PXE at least a bit, it might be having issues readjusting...
And make sure the Width of your new tileset is exactly 256 pixels, too, or that will most definitely cause problems.

Ok well I solved the problem on my own... I think..

So, my game used to run fine before and i didnt touch it so i knew it wasnt anything i did.

The only thing i remember doing was reformatting my computer from xp to windows 7

so i set the compatibility back to xp and it works 100% now or so i believe. Talk about weird.

Apr 6, 2010 at 2:40 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
VoidMage_Lowell said:
Sounds like you're talking about places like the Mimiga Village, which place a different song, but switch later in the game {Namely, Mimiga Village}, if you recall.
Hence the extra event.

If you use Flags, you could make the door respond/use thousands of different events.
Just remember to keep track of what flags you use, or you'll pull out all your hair later on, down the road ;);

Will it work if I add an event looking something like this?
Code:
<MNA<CMU0000<FAI0004<END
(^Originally there)
(v Added script)
Code:
<MNA<CMU0023<FAI0004<END
then add a script to do this?
Code:
<FL+1650<EVE0095
Im trying to implement an element of customization to your home base. Event 150 is run when you press down on a music note sign, to change the music. then the door leading to the room (if flag 1650 is down), will go straight to event 95. Will this work at all? or am I crazy?