Jan 22, 2010 at 6:11 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
wedge of cheese said:
I wonder if maybe the program only works on Windows Vista and not XP?

That seems highly unlikely, since I use XP (service pack 2 i think) and this program.

My only other guess is maybe it's related to Sue's Workshop or Cave Editor, since this has always worked fine for me.

Jan 22, 2010 at 6:23 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
My only other guess is maybe it's related to Sue's Workshop or Cave Editor, since this has always worked fine for me.

Oh, I didn't think of that; you're probably right (I might test it when I get home on an exe that's only been edited by CE).

Jan 22, 2010 at 9:25 PM
Been here way too long...
Well, it works on my exes, and as you know, I am faithful to the true gods.

Jan 22, 2010 at 10:58 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Lace said:
I am faithful to the true gods.

You backward medieval luddite, you.

Jan 22, 2010 at 11:03 PM
Your false idol is reminiscent of Hephaestus -- functional, but hideous. PAH!
:(

Jan 22, 2010 at 11:21 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
It's not ugly, it's minimalist... Like, the purest expression of modding's soul; stripping the game down to it's bare essentials and providing the quintessential blank canvas with which you can express yourself through Cave Story. This thing, this... editor, is far more beautiful than you give it credit. Free your mind, Lace!

Jan 23, 2010 at 1:11 AM
True minimalists would enjoy the simplicity that my gods bring into my life.
Your black canvas, by comparison, does not strip the game down to it's bare essentials, but rather clouds the minds of innocent people and complicates the easiest of tasks. Your mind, which you claim to be open, is smothered by the quintessential canvas of death, and your thoughts, which you claim to be free, are trapped like birds in a cage.

Jan 23, 2010 at 1:21 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Lace said:
True minimalists would enjoy the simplicity that my gods bring into my life.
Your black canvas, by comparison, does not strip the game down to it's bare essentials, but rather clouds the minds of innocent people and complicates the easiest of tasks. Your mind, which you claim to be open, is smothered by the quintessential canvas of death, and your thoughts, which you claim to be free, are trapped like birds in a cage.

Huh, is that some mindless slander I hear?

I especially love the "clouds the minds of innocent people and complicates the easiest of tasks" part, since I really have no clue where you'd pull that from. And the rest is hate propaganda in its purest form (I find the best propaganda is made by poets who aren't TOO abstract in their poetry).

And I didn't feel like starting a flame war, but I'll be damned if I just watch you spread silly stuff like this.

Jan 23, 2010 at 1:39 AM
I especially love the "clouds the minds of innocent people and complicates the easiest of tasks" part.
Glad I brought joy to your life. ^_^
That part was actually just based on people failing at the easiest of things because Higgledy-Piggle does it for them, but that doesn't translate well into poematics.

I didn't feel like starting a flame war.
Well gosh, I didn't either. Also, do you really thunk this as a flame war? I was just enjoying myself while expressing my deepestmost feelings in poetic blather, you had a moderately funny comment about me bing backwards, and Noxid was just being Noxid.

But I really didn't get his comment about it being minimalist, and as I've mentioned before, the main reason I don't switch to your heathen tool is because of aesthetics.
:(

Jan 23, 2010 at 3:27 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
wedge of cheese said:
Oh, I didn't think of that; you're probably right (I might test it when I get home on an exe that's only been edited by CE).
Well like I said it doesn't even work on CS original, which seems kind of dumb. I'll wait for you to try this out, then one way or another I'm gonna post this thing up. I want it to be finished :(

Jan 23, 2010 at 5:15 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Lace said:
I was just enjoying myself while expressing my deepestmost feelings in poetic blather, you had a moderately funny comment about me bing backwards, and Noxid was just being Noxid.

Personally I've never been one for poetry, and I figure someone out there might take you seriously :( .

We could go back and forth about how the aesthetics don't matter or such (actually I'm pretty sure we've reached a dead end with that argument), but more pressing issues are at hand.

DT, I have NO CLUE what you are doing wrong, since I just tested it on a virgin copy of CS (no CE, no SW, no translation, pure doukutsu) and it worked fine. Screenies?

[EDIT]: For no particular reason, I think I'll just mention that I love the "Quack like Duck" button in this program. So intuitive.

Jan 23, 2010 at 8:01 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I used the search button and the available guides and didn`t find the answer for this. If it`s somewhere still exists sorry... I have problem to create a bossfight.

I only succeeded with Balrog (just inserting him as an entity, without BSL commands, not having even a boss health bar) , but no luck with e.g. Monster X, Curly and other bosses.

I tried to use the <BSL command to start a bossfight. I played with <BSL, but wasn`t able to figure it out... I read somewhere that the boss should be in the exact same coordinates as in the original game - is this true? What else should I keep in mind?

Please help me to learn the essentials of setting bossfights, a sample script maybe?

Thanks in advance,
trickybilly

Jan 23, 2010 at 8:09 PM
Hyperbolic
I used the search button and the available guides and didn`t find the answer for this. If it`s somewhere still exists than sorry... I have problem to create a bossfight. I only succeeded with Balrog (just inserting him as an entity, without BSL commands, + not having a boss health bar) , but no luck with e.g. Monster X, Curly and other bosses.

I tried to use the <BSL command to start a bossfight. I played with it LONG, but wasn`t able to figure it out. I read somewhere that the boss should be in the exact same coordinates as in the original game - is this true? What else should I keep in mind?

Please help me to learn the essentials of setting bossfights, a sample script maybe?

Thanks in advance,
trickybilly

Jan 23, 2010 at 10:04 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Standard bosses:
Curly is a standard, entity based boss. You set the entity, and to begin the boss fight you would use a command similar to this:

<BSL0300<ANP0300:0010:0002<END

<KEY<CNP0300:0117:0005<ANP0300:0040:0004<WAI0080
<PRI<MSGOh I am slain!<NOD<END

In this example, 200 is the event that starts the fight and 300 is the event # of entity 118, curly-boss. That'll give you a basic boss fight with a health bar. Also, "Run script on death" I think needs to be set as well, in the entity flag list.

Super-bosses:
Each of the eight (nine?) large bosses such as Monster X or Core have a hard-coded location: You can't change where they show up on a map, so you'll have to build the map around them. To start a boss fight with one of them, the command is something like this:

<BOA0010<BSL0000

Script for what's to happen when boss dies.

I've never used large bosses before, so my word isn't exactly the most valuable, but that's what I've surmised by looking at the scripts in CE. As far as I can tell, each boss has a special # that you need to know (Monster X, from above, is 0010. Core is 0200) and also, you mustn't forget to put your boss on the map by setting "Boss Fight ID" in the map properties to the appropriate boss. Otherwise, nothing will work (just for large bosses)

My best advice would probably be to try and emulate the original scripts as best as possible, because some entities (like curly above) need to be animated first and whatnot.

Jan 23, 2010 at 11:02 PM
Hyperbolic
I copypasted the script but evething is dark and I only can hear sounds. Curly is there in the dark and kills me too. I`ll try to fix this tomorrow, the main thing is that Curly IS there and she IS working. Thanks for the help! I`ll try to figure out the "big bosses" also.

I realized also that I can just <TRA to the map where a certain boss is and the bossfight will start nicely. If I just redo that original map + change the boss sprite by editing it`s .pbm I also get what I want and that`s without losing myself in the script.

Jan 23, 2010 at 11:09 PM
you forgot to fade in, methinks

Jan 24, 2010 at 4:12 AM
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Also for super bosses, there are flags that are set when you're fighting them. If you don't set these flags at the same time as pixel did, you can get some weird stuff happening (although with some flag manipulation, you can make a fun ballos fight)

Jan 25, 2010 at 1:55 PM
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
[doublebump]

Is there a way to find out which option on the title screen someone chooses if there isn't a profile.dat to be loaded? I'm trying to change the "New" and "Load" buttons on the title screen to "Tutorial" and "Play", using the presence of a profile.dat file to choose which one is preselected on startup. I don't know enough about assembly to make those buttons call events in the tsc. :o

Jan 25, 2010 at 2:18 PM
so are you trying to make new game not autocalled or have both call tsc events or what?
yes there is a way, it'll take me a while to find it out.

well the most simple way is that [49e1e4] holds which position the cursor is in, however checking this seperately would lead to longer code.
the selection code is at 40ff37. the first fewlines are useless (they play a sound) and then it jumps down into some more useful stuff.
hope that helps...?