Dec 20, 2009 at 7:12 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Question!

Has anybody tried modding on windows 7?

I just put it on for a "trial run", and some funny things are happening. For some reason, it's loading things like .tsc and .pxm files from the wrong place. It shows up in CE fine, but when I run the .exe... well, "NEW" takes me to the right map with the right scripts, pressing "Load" takes me to the save spot in the start cave with the script from a REALLY old version (there's a test sprite I used when I was learning how stuff like <FAC worked...) even though there wasn't even a profile.dat in the folder. Also, Mimiga village has the old .pxm and .tsc, although all the graphics are coming from the right place (are most up to date).

Unless I did something wierd, I don't know what's going on.

EDIT: Well, I took the perennial tech support advice and rebooted, things seem to be working normally... for the time being.

Dec 22, 2009 at 4:43 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
I just remembered something that has been bugging the hell out of me for ages.

Sometimes, when entering a new map, some exp-like numbers will flash up saying "+___" even though nothing clear has taken place. Has anyone else noticed this/have any idea what causes it?

Dec 29, 2009 at 2:13 AM
Been here way too long...
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Ok, there's been one question that's been bugging me for ages, I thought that I would know enough assembly to try and puzzle this out before the wiiware version is released. But I don't. What would it take to get the pc version of cave story running at the intended 60 fps?

Dec 29, 2009 at 2:15 AM
The Town Bicycle *cough*
"Keep on rollin'!"
It most likely already is but it was intended to be like an 8-bit NES game.

Can't you just be happy with the frames you have?

If you have lag, then try closing other windows.

Dec 29, 2009 at 4:14 AM
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
It was supposed to be at 60, but pixel changed to 50 at the last moment for compatibility for people who's screens couldn't handle 60. It's going to be put back to 60 on the wiiware version, but I won't be able to get that for a while.

Jan 6, 2010 at 11:37 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Peace!
I've got a script problem in the Balfrog fight.
I deleted the parts where Misery appears and the messages.
Balrog should just jump down, transform and the battle should start.
That works, but my char can go through Balfrog without taking damage and I can't shoot him either.
His behavior is normally, except that small part (which makes the entire battle pretty senseless).

My changed code is:
Code:
<KEY<FLJ0501:0001<FL+0501
<WAI0050<ANP1000:0008:0000
<CNP0201:0009:0002<WAI0088<MYD0000<WAI0050
<CNP0201:0012:0002<ANP0201:0000:0002
<ANP0201:0040:0002
<ANP0201:0042:0002<BOA0020<WAI0100
<DNP0201<BOA0010
<BOA0100<BSL0000<CMU0007<FL+0500<END

I didn't change any events or the enviroment (yet) and the map is still the gum map.
Didn't change any of the <ANP0201, because there aren't any sprite differences, except for the last one, and it doesn't matter.

The old code was:
Code:
<KEY<FLJ0501:0001<FL+0501<SOU0022<CNP0200:0021:0000
<MSGOpened the treasure chest.<NOD<GIT1011<IT+0011<CLR
<CMU0010Got the =Gum Base=!<WAI0160<NOD<CMU0000<GIT0000<CLO
<CNP0500:0067:0002<WAI0010<MYD0000<WAI0090
<MSG<FAC0000<FAC0015Oh?<NOD<FAC0000<CLO
<ANP0500:0013:0002<WAI0050<ANP1000:0008:0000
<MSG<FAC0015We meet again.<NOD
Do you remember me?<NOD<CLRIndeed, in the Mimiga
village...<NOD<CLRI hadn't noticed before,
but...<NOD<CLRAren't you a soldier
from the surface?<NOD<CLRI wasn't aware there
were any left.<NOD<FAC0000<CLO
<CNP0201:0009:0002<WAI0088<MYD0000<WAI0050<CMU0011
<CNP0201:0012:0002<ANP0201:0000:0002
<MSG<FAC0005Misery!<NOD<CLRWatch out, that one's
a fighter!<NOD<CLRStronger than a Mimiga,
even!<NOD<CLR<FAC0015You don't say.<NOD<FAC0000<CLO
<WAI0020<ANP0500:0025:0000<WAI0050<ANP0201:0040:0002<MSG
<FAC0023!!!<NOD<CLR<FAC0015Soldiers are YOUR duty.<NOD
<ANP0500:0020:0000<WAI0030Come back when this
one's in pieces.<NOD<FAC0000<CLO
<ANP0201:0042:0002<BOA0020<WAI0100
<DNP0201<BOA0010
<MSGGeghrooakk!<NOD<BOA0100<BSL0000<CMU0007<FL+0500<END

I would really feel obliged if you could help me with this.

Edit: Was able to solve the problem myself~

Peace!

Jan 8, 2010 at 11:15 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
This seems a good a place as any to post this. I'm having a problem and as far as I know it's with my OS, but perhaps somebody out there has a suggestion.

Basically when I save ORG files now, my computer loses them. Sorta. There are ways to see them, but it's really screwy... I'm using windows 7 ultimate now, it's recent AKA I haven't played with ORGmaker since I got it.

you see, ResHacker can find my new file, but windows explorer can't. It also give me a funny message if I try to make modifications (copy, for example) through the ResHacker dialogue box that says "could not find this item / it is no longer located in [directory].

I somehow saved it to the desktop successfully, and the folder itself is in my program files. Might this be the problem? (Friggin' windows and it's draconian security measures)

Here's a large screenie.

p196580-0-orgbug1.png

EDIT: I've been doing some thinking, and I believe the problem arises from the fact that even though I am running the only account on the computer and it's supposed to be administrator, the computer frequently tells me I'm not when I'm trying to do some things (usually deleting files in particular, also pops up to warn me when I run OllyDbg). Is there a fix?

Jan 10, 2010 at 3:40 AM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
Help a noob! (Questions about CaveEdit)

Hello!

I just have some questions about the modding tools (CaveEdit specifically) that i needed answered.
( I am willing too go into coding)
if you can refer me too anything too that would be great.

The following is a list of things I need answered, answer as many as you can!

1.Where the quote sprite is, i just like too fiddle with those
2.How to make a *good* map (something like grasstown)
3. How too go into a new map thru a door, (through a door into the labyrinth shop for example)
4. Dialogue and how too make it.
5.New weapons
6. How too place enemys (This is probably *REALLY* obvious, sorry)
7. How too make treasure chests, and how too get loot from them

I probably have more questions, i will update this when i need too.

Maybe we could get a sticky and just make this a generic questions page???

Thanks, Sean

( I think I may be posting in the wrong category, sorry if I am)

Jan 10, 2010 at 4:01 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Re: Help a noob! (Questions about CaveEdit)

ZeSean said:
We already have one of these. I'll merge this thread with it.

Jan 10, 2010 at 4:07 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
S-e-a-r-c-h b-u-t-t-o-n

Whoaboy, something tells me you haven't searched around these forums at all, or even touched the editor....
ZeSean said:
1.Where the quote sprite is, i just like too fiddle with those
MyChar.PBM, right in the Data Folder.
All the graphics are saved that way, just look through the Data folder.
{PBMs are simply BMPs renamed, but they've got (C)Pixel hexed into the end of them, so either remove the requirement [Try Cave Editor] or hex it back in after you modify them, or Cave Story will say "Nu uh"}

ZeSean said:
2.How to make a *good* map (something like grasstown)
That, is almost too generic to answer.
That's like asking how to make a good game; it depends on the person's tastes.
Look at how the original maps are made, or check around at some of the other mods. You can't make a guide for creativity :p

Just mess around with it, make some maps and see what you can do that makes them fun and challenging for you.
ZeSean said:
3. How too go into a new map thru a door, (through a door into the labyrinth shop for example)
Seriously, you should've used the search button. We had a thread over stuff like this.
Infact, it's right here, and your question is answered on the first example.

ZeSean said:
4. Dialogue and how too make it.
Dialogue is so simple it's almost silly.
Simply create a text box with <MSG, <MS3, or <MS2, and whatever you write after that will become text on the dialogue box in-game.
Remember, you've got to hit enter to force the text onto the next line every 27 characters if you added a portrait, as Cave Story won't do it for you. {Though if there's no portrait, Cave Story will automatically move the 38th character or so onto the next line, but that leads to chop
py words, like that}
I believe there's a very detailed explanation on this in some other thread, but I can't remember where it is offhand. {SEARCH BUTTON!}
{It's even easier if you'd just look at the original scripts}

ZeSean said:
5.New weapons
Assembly.
Learn about it, and read the special Assembly threads stickies on this sub-forum.
Needless to say, it's much more advance than anything else in your list. {If you're having trouble placing an enemy on a map, or asking how to make good maps, forget about this}
But, that's for completely custom weapons, if you want to just edit looks/damage/etc, look through the Data folder for the weapon graphics, and Cave Editor can simply alter the weapon stats for you. {Data dropbox > Bullet data}
ZeSean said:
6. How too place enemys (This is probably *REALLY* obvious, sorry)
Really, almost all of these are obvious {Save, I guess, custom weapons}. Search button, please!
For Cave Editor, check the "Edit entities" box, and then right click anywhere on the map.
That spawned an empty entity.
Now you assign all of it's values at the top, such as what entity type it is {Balrog or Critter?}, what flag bits are on {Is it invincible? Can the player interact with it?}, and give it it's ID number {For flags} and Event number {For....events}.
Now you're going to ask what are all of these, aren't you?
SEARCH BUTTON!!!
These have only been explained a dozen times. {Which I've explained a few times myself, and repeating yourself gets very boring}

ZeSean said:
7. How too make treasure chests, and how too get loot from them
See answer #3.
ZeSean said:
I probably have more questions, i will update this when i need too.

We already have one.
It's called the
Quick Modding/Hacking Answers Thread.
Oh shucks, DT beat me to the punch.
Seriously, you're going to have to actually use the Search Button and look at people who, just like you, already asks these questions several times.
And, I recommend that you mess with Cave Editor as you go along, before you make any serious mod, just play around with it and learn everything first.
It's easier to learn hands on.
{For me, anyways}
And did I mention using the Search Button? :rolleyes:

Anyways, lack of any lurking aside, welcome to the forums.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 16, 2010 at 1:30 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
wedge of cheese said:
For each of the robots, give it a unique event number and set flag 0x0200 (I think that's the right one, anyway; it's the one that makes the script run when the npc dies). Then set a flag every time one dies, and once all the flags are set, change the music.

I tried to do this, but came to the sticky situation that when you do this, the NPC won't die unless you tell it to in the script. I don't want to use <DNP because that'd just be silly, so is there any way to kill an npc legitimately with TSC or am I just going to have to hack it in?

I've got a pretty simple plan to hack it, but I'd rather not use Assembly if I don't have to.

Jan 16, 2010 at 1:32 AM
Jan 16, 2010 at 3:39 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Noxid said:
I tried to do this, but came to the sticky situation that when you do this, the NPC won't die unless you tell it to in the script. I don't want to use <DNP because that'd just be silly, so is there any way to kill an npc legitimately with TSC or am I just going to have to hack it in?

I've got a pretty simple plan to hack it, but I'd rather not use Assembly if I don't have to.

In the death script, <CNP the entity to a cloud of smoke (npc 4 I think) and then do a <SOU to make it sound like the npc died.

Jan 16, 2010 at 3:42 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
But then they wouldn't drop any XP.
Anyway, I've got it figured out now, works like a charm.

Jan 21, 2010 at 5:23 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
K so I wanna do a quick SFX edit, but the link to the PXT sound editor is dead and a quick search didn't turn up much on how to do it manually. Helps? D:

Jan 21, 2010 at 5:50 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
DoubleThink said:
K so I wanna do a quick SFX edit, but the link to the PXT sound editor is dead and a quick search didn't turn up much on how to do it manually. Helps? D:

What you need is SeaTone, which can be found here : http://www.cavestory.org/downloads_6.php

It automates the process of pushing and pulling soundeffects from CS with the pusher.exe, and includes an editor which, from my experience, is better than pixel's original.

Jan 21, 2010 at 6:38 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Yeah that's what I was after. I didn't recognise it because I thought it was called Tone Pusher >_>

EDIT:
<> Endofsound fail: e8 expected 6a.
<> Failed processing sound loader.
<> Check that you chose the correct EXE.

I get this error even when trying to open the original Doukutsu exe. Why can't these things just work? -_-

Jan 22, 2010 at 9:16 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
So, uh, any help? A little interest, maybe? ._. The forums have been kinda quiet the last two days.

Jan 22, 2010 at 5:48 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
DoubleThink said:
So, uh, any help? A little interest, maybe? ._. The forums have been kinda quiet the last two days.

You followed the directions in the readme that came with it, right?

Step 1: Open it up. Tell it where the game is, and tell it where you want the sounds to go. The folder you pick for the latter should not have any other PXT's in it, and I recommend it to be empty because it's about to get filled up with 86 tiny files and you don't want to make a big mess in some work folder of yours.

Step 2: Push the button that says Pull. It should say it was successful. The first time you extract sounds from the game (before you import them back in) you will get some warning messages because some of the sounds in the game were actually glitched up in the way they were stored. But that's OK! I noticed that and put code in there that fixes it for you.

Step 3: Go edit your sounds in whatever program you like to use to edit PXTs. I highly recommend CTone.exe. I may be biased. You can also use PixTone, it'll work just fine too. Don't rename the files, and don't add or delete any files from the directory.*

Step 4: Push Allocate. During this step Pusher tries to figure out a way to cram all the PXTs back into the executable. It will actually re-order the sounds etc within the available space, so you can for example add channels to one sound if you take away channels from another. Doukutsu had 4 sounds saved within the executable that were never loaded or used in-game, so you already have 4 extra channels free to start with.

Step 5: Push Write. Now it goes inside your nice pretty game and scrambles the bits all up, and hopefully, your computer will still be able to read them afterwards (don't worry, it always works for me).

Step 6: If you didn't figure out that step 6 is to play the game, well....

Step 7: there is no step 7.

Step 8: there is no step 8, either.

Step 9: there IS a step 9, but it's a secret.

Step 10: Geez, I said it was simple to use. Quit reading the stupid readme, already.

Taken from the pusher_readme.txt

Jan 22, 2010 at 6:00 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I seem to remember having a similar problem when trying to import a single custom sound effect into TWoR, and I followed the directions very carefully. I asked a question in this forum and nobody could help, so I just gave up on it.

Though Gir, you have custom sfx in your mod; did you use the program in question to do so? This is odd. I wonder if maybe the program only works on Windows Vista and not XP?