Feb 8, 2013 at 4:27 AM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
How do i make the door npc(Not the enemy)'s graphic a different part of the npcsym set? (and a bigger graphic)

Feb 8, 2013 at 4:34 AM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
You'd have to find the framerects and change them which requires basic knowledge of assembly and how to search for constants
Also hexidecimal but use like the windows calculator or something

Feb 8, 2013 at 4:40 AM
Veteran Member
MagicDoors said:
You'd have to find the framerects and change them which requires basic knowledge of assembly and how to search for constants
Also hexidecimal but use like the windows calculator or something
Do you know where the framerects for the door npc is? Also how do i know what to change it to?

Feb 8, 2013 at 4:48 AM
Professional Whatever
No idea and I'm really not in the mood to open up olly.
What you have to do is basically estimate/find out what the original framerects are (find them in decimal and convert them to hex) and then search the code for them.
The framerects are pretty easy to spot - they're a large group of MOV commands in a row that stand out from the rest of the code.
You (probably) have to just use trial and error to see if it's actually what you're looking for.
You change it to the hexadecimal equivalent of the position of the sprite on the spritesheet. If your sprite was at x1: 16, x2: 32, y1: 0, y2: 16 on the spritesheet then you would put in 10, 20, 0 and 10 in that order.

Feb 8, 2013 at 5:02 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
it's not like we have a function list that says where the code for every NPC is or anything

Feb 8, 2013 at 5:10 AM
Professional Whatever
Oh right it's an NPC's framerects

The code for the door NPC starts at 0x002A360. Go wild.

Feb 8, 2013 at 5:19 AM
Veteran Member
MagicDoors said:
Oh right it's an NPC's framerects

The code for the door NPC starts at 0x002A360. Go wild.
Thanks!
EDIT:Uh...How do i find it on OllyDbg?

Feb 8, 2013 at 5:44 AM
Professional Whatever
Right click > search for > constant > "whatever"

I'm stupid
Use ctrl+G and put in the address.
(it would be 0042A360 btw)

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:07 PM
essentially spirited away for an indefinite time.
"..."
okay, I don't know why this is happening.

at the end of a script where a boss battle begins, the boss flag is unset, and another flag is set. the other flag works for the door to be blocked, but not for an entity to change dialogue. then when the boss battle ends, a third flag is set. after some jump to event dialogue, I go talk to the original boss, and the whole boss script just begins again instead of going to a regular talk script. what is happening?!

Feb 8, 2013 at 6:40 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"

Also, I need to edit the character hitbox. Anyone? :<

Feb 8, 2013 at 6:53 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I'm just gonna go out and say that is a bad idea and will break a lot of the player mechanics so you probably just shouldn't.

Feb 8, 2013 at 6:56 PM
Based Member
Ryuuoutan said:
okay, I don't know why this is happening.

at the end of a script where a boss battle begins, the boss flag is unset, and another flag is set. the other flag works for the door to be blocked, but not for an entity to change dialogue. then when the boss battle ends, a third flag is set. after some jump to event dialogue, I go talk to the original boss, and the whole boss script just begins again instead of going to a regular talk script. what is happening?!
If I were to guess, I'd say that that's a result of an <FLJ or <EVE being assigned to the wrong event, but it would be easier to know what the problem is if you posted your script here.

Feb 8, 2013 at 8:39 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Noxid said:
I'm just gonna go out and say that is a bad idea and will break a lot of the player mechanics so you probably just shouldn't.
Well, if it doesn't work out I'll put it back.

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:04 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I was wondering if it would be possible to change the 16x16 character sprites into 32x32 sprites.
I require more space for a hack I am working on and 16x16 squares are just too small in my opinion.

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:10 PM
Professional Whatever
You've got 2 options.

1: Hack the framerects so that you have a larger version of the player (which would kind of screw up game mechanics unless you do stuff right)

2: Get Noxid to give you the double res hack for your mod. Or you could do it yourself but that would be really, really difficult. Also you need to show that your mod is worth applying the double res hack to, and it's recommended that the mod is completed before the hack is applied.

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:16 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
MagicDoors said:
You've got 2 options.

1: Hack the framerects so that you have a larger version of the player (which would kind of screw up game mechanics unless you do stuff right)

2: Get Noxid to give you the double res hack for your mod. Or you could do it yourself but that would be really, really difficult. Also you need to show that your mod is worth applying the double res hack to, and it's recommended that the mod is completed before the hack is applied.
Both of those sound equally confusing. I'll think about both when I get a bit more serious about my hack. As of right now it's merely just a hobby and I haven't done anything.
​ Literally, I've done nothing but screw about with the PBM files in Irfanview.

EDIT: Also, can Cave Story use BMP files instead of PBM files?
Whenever I edit a PBM file it gets saved as a BMP instead, and I can't edit the BMP's extension...

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:59 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
In my spare time, I've been doing a little beginning hacking using Noxid's guide and so far, it's going fine, however something happened that I noticed when I was testing out my changes. (It was only a graphical thing) When I changed it, I was glad it worked, but then this happened:
diph.php

So far, so good. (This is with the Mimiga Mask)
diph.php

Then this happens... I don't know what happened, but it made the heads go through to the background.
diph.php

Here, is without the mask (I did some color editing)
diph.php

Yea, the problem still exists outside of the mask. (Don't know why)
Some help here?

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:04 PM
Professional Whatever
@supershadow
You can either set the default file in Cave Editor or manually change the .bmp file extensions back to .pbm every time. Note that you have to rename the file to *.pbm and also go into a hex editor and put (c)pixel at the end of the file if you're using the second method or else it won't work.

@Ruby
Don't use pure black.

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:17 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
MagicDoors said:
@Ruby
Don't use pure black.
? I'm confused... I didn't do any editing aside from copying the top set of sprites and moved them down to replace the ones with the mask. After that, I just did some recoloring and that was it. Also, in case this helps:
diph.php

This is what Mychar.bmp (pbm) looks like.

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:24 PM
Professional Whatever
That's what I'm saying. Quote's hair is pure black. You can't use it, because that's what the default transparency is.
Just make his hair a tiny bit lighter or something.

Also Dunc.