Feb 20, 2012 at 10:15 PM
Veteran Member
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
There is some more stuff, at least up to 380 I think.
Didn't know about the list. How is it called up?

Feb 20, 2012 at 10:21 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I am pretty sure it's impossible to use CE to edit entities without seeing the list. Have you actually used the editor or are these all theoretical questions?
It's right in the same spot as where you change an entity's event number or flags.

Feb 20, 2012 at 10:28 PM
Veteran Member
Ah, that list includes projectiles? I thought it was a partial list made for just the stuff that's commonly called up. My mistake, sorry!

...is there a similar list for sounds? Because that would have helped immensely several times.

EDIT:
Just wanted to add, I think I found a not so elegant but effective solution to my problem (the projectile one, not the perpetual smoke one)... so the final release of Curly's Past should be behind the corner (albeit without smoke).

Feb 20, 2012 at 11:40 PM
Member Title
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Say I would like to replicate the Evil Door, you know, the one in First Cave. How would I go about using flags so that it would not re-appear? I know it will involve using "delete event once flag ID is set," but I just don't quite know how to go about it. I'm starting to get a grip on more modding stuff, but flags still trip me up.

Feb 21, 2012 at 4:49 AM
"Huzzah!"
Say I would like to replicate the Evil Door, you know, the one in First Cave. How would I go about using flags so that it would not re-appear? I know it will involve using "delete event once flag ID is set," but I just don't quite know how to go about it. I'm starting to get a grip on more modding stuff, but flags still trip me up.

Basically:

0x0200 entity flag is "set on death" Turn this on.

Use any flag you want for FlagID: example 5000

Then tick NPC is invisible if flag set.

Say door is entity 0400. When door killed, #0400 runs.

You have to have two objects on the same tile: the evil door, and the real door.

Feb 21, 2012 at 5:57 PM
Member Title
I have tried what you said to the best of my ability, but it seems now that the door will not die.

Feb 21, 2012 at 11:41 PM
"Huzzah!"
Okay... My instructions were WRONG. Technically plausible, but WRONG. Very sorry. Try this instead:

Remove 0x0200 flag from bad door: sprite 59
Set FlagID and tick NPC is invisible if set. Example: 4000

Normal door is sprite 0: no model because it's blown away, right?
Tick call event on action, then set event to whatever you choose:

then create the failsafe: (assuming event #340)

<PRI<FLJ4000:0342<MSG?!<NOD<END

<FAO0002<TRAXXXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX

Replace Xs with appropriate values for whatever map you want to jump to.

Feb 22, 2012 at 12:37 AM
Member Title
It works fine now. Thanks for the help, I'm starting to understand flags better now.

Feb 22, 2012 at 1:18 AM
"Huzzah!"
FYI, the failsafe prevents player touching door, then quickly using REAL door while damage is temporarily disabled by getting hurt. I just cut-pasted the first cave stuff, and stripped out the irrelevant stuff.

Feb 24, 2012 at 2:43 AM
Veteran Member
Ok, with Curly's Past done with (at least until someone runs into any glitches for me to fix), I started off on my next mod (or true first since I only wrapped up Kaeso's).
Unfortunately, I ran into a problem with tilesets.
I'm making an area in which I need the following enemies:
Beetle (horizontal green)
Critter (Hopping Aqua)
Basu (2)
Counter Bomb
Beetle (follow 2)

Unfortunately, Beetle (Horizontal Green) is in another tileset then the others (Eggs1 instead of Eggs2) and it's tiles are in the same position as Critter (Hopping Aqua), so that instead of the beetle I get a Critter flying from wall to wall as it convulses madly.

Is there any way to work around this issue?
Like, say, is it possible to change the location within the tilesheet where the game looks for that one enemy, so that I can enlarge the two tilesheets and put it in the same (previously non-existant) position on both?

EDIT:
Nevermind, I found a cheap and easy solution: I'll just tell the game to use the Beetles form the Sand Zone and then paste the ones from Eggs1 in the position that those occupied in Sand onto Eggs 2.
RE-EDIT:
Ah crap, I'd forgotten that teh Sand Zone ones behave differently (rather than fly back and forth on their own wait for you to get in front of them).

Feb 24, 2012 at 2:44 PM
hi hi
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Ok, with Curly's Past done with (at least until someone runs into any glitches for me to fix), I started off on my next mod (or true first since I only wrapped up Kaeso's).
Unfortunately, I ran into a problem with tilesets.
I'm making an area in which I need the following enemies:
Beetle (horizontal green)
Critter (Hopping Aqua)
Basu (2)
Counter Bomb
Beetle (follow 2)

Unfortunately, Beetle (Horizontal Green) is in another tileset then the others (Eggs1 instead of Eggs2) and it's tiles are in the same position as Critter (Hopping Aqua), so that instead of the beetle I get a Critter flying from wall to wall as it convulses madly.

Is there any way to work around this issue?
Like, say, is it possible to change the location within the tilesheet where the game looks for that one enemy, so that I can enlarge the two tilesheets and put it in the same (previously non-existant) position on both?

EDIT:
Nevermind, I found a cheap and easy solution: I'll just tell the game to use the Beetles form the Sand Zone and then paste the ones from Eggs1 in the position that those occupied in Sand onto Eggs 2.
RE-EDIT:
Ah crap, I'd forgotten that teh Sand Zone ones behave differently (rather than fly back and forth on their own wait for you to get in front of them).

If you can handle assembly, you can try to change to framerects of the Beetle or Critter.

Feb 24, 2012 at 2:50 PM
Veteran Member
Framerects being where in the tileset the game looks for sprites, right?

Unfortunately, I don't know assembly so no can do. I'll see if a friend is willing to help me out on this one, but otherwise I'll have to settle for the "stick to the wall" variety.

Thanks for letting me know it requires ASM though :)

Feb 24, 2012 at 2:52 PM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
You don't really even need to know assembly to do change rects.

Feb 24, 2012 at 4:27 PM
The Eternal Darkness
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I don't know, but I think that Lace is right. But at least CE 0.99d doesn't remove sound. Thanks to Mixer8421, I could upgrade to CE 0.99d and stop using the CE 0.99c version. And now the first Balrog has 600 HP in my mod.

This is my mod topic (http://www.cavestory...e-story-cs-mod/) and I made certain it works, so I guess now I can do the link thing when needed.

Feb 27, 2012 at 3:29 PM
hi hi
I don't know, but I think that Lace is right. But at least CE 0.99d doesn't remove sound. Thanks to Mixer8421, I could upgrade to CE 0.99d and stop using the CE 0.99c version. And now the first Balrog has 600 HP in my mod.

This is my mod topic (http://www.cavestory...e-story-cs-mod/) and I made certain it works, so I guess now I can do the link thing when needed.

I am a modder too, so I know some things which are necessary (or not) to make a mod.

Feb 27, 2012 at 3:51 PM
The Eternal Darkness
Was the double post by accident? Anyway, if the rects are things like Hit Box and Display Box, then those can be changed with Cave Editor's NPC editor. Otherwise, I'm just as clueless.

Feb 27, 2012 at 3:55 PM
hi hi
Was the double post by accident? Anyway, if the rects are things like Hit Box and Display Box, then those can be changed with Cave Editor's NPC editor. Otherwise, I'm just as clueless.

Yes, it was an accident.
And I know the Hit Box and the Display Box are in CS NPC editor, but I didn't mess in them.
Anyone knows how do they work?

Feb 28, 2012 at 4:20 PM
The Eternal Darkness
Sorry, Mixer8421, I don't. I don't mess with those either.
Anyway, does anyone know what the maximum amount of HP and XP of an entity can be? I want to make a very tough (but defenseless) monster who drops a lot of triangles on death, and there is only one of them in the original Cave Story.

Feb 28, 2012 at 5:19 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Well, afaik HP is stored as a doubleword, so the highest possible value would be 2,147,483,647. The damage counter though, only goes up to -9,999 if i recall correctly. The XP is also a doubleword, so the same limit would apply there too. However large XP numbers get divided into crystals, and crystals are NPCs. So be weary of big numbers. The game will only let you have so many NPCs alive at one time.