May 16, 2011 at 10:30 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
LunarSoul said:
Yeah, reaper never said that flag 2000 was specific to doors.
Reaper said "works great except doesn't show the open door image when i press down aka flag 2000".
But I'm making too big a deal out of this. (Correct amount is none.)
And I'm also being redundant I believe.

Yup i just meant that the door didn't show the open close thingie but now that problem has been solved but the doors still don't work, they show the door opening and closing but it still just fades out and then fades back in for every door in the village not just the one i put in. thx though:)

May 17, 2011 at 12:49 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Game Reaper said:
...for every door in the village...

Then you have either :
  • Placed the event (#0000) number before the other doors' event numbers.
  • Removed the other doors' events.

May 17, 2011 at 8:26 PM
"Huzzah!"
Dubby said:
Then you have either :
  • Placed the event (#0000) number before the other doors' event numbers.
  • Removed the other doors' events.

or didnt do <TRA at all, which means he probably didnt do <END based on other stuff
and ended up with a <FAI somehow?

May 17, 2011 at 8:30 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Ok now i'm officially disbanding that mod to focus all my effort into the new mod I'm making called Prophecy (two versions, one following an evil character's plot to destroy the world and one following the plot of a boy named ****** (It's a secret for now) that's trying to stop the plot.
Why am I posting this in the modding/hacking answers thread? Because I have run into a slight problem... I don't know how to use a h/v trigger. yes, I know it's humiliating but if I don't ask i won't find out.

I put an h/v trigger in a map that i made but it won't work. It's flags are:
100- Option 1
1000- Option 2
4000- Hide after flag is set

I'm using cave editor if that info is helpful.

May 17, 2011 at 9:08 PM
Hey.
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
Game Reaper said:
I put an h/v trigger in a map that i made but it won't work. It's flags are:
100- Option 1
1000- Option 2
4000- Hide after flag is set

I'm using cave editor if that info is helpful.

Alright, so first off, it the Option 1 flag is not needed, unless it's supposed to be like, a horizontal and vertical trigger at the same time.

Second, you have to change the flag ID of the specific entity you want. The little box above the event number. Trigger that flag in the script and it'll be gone when you come back to the room. You should use a <DNP on it after you want it gone, though.

May 17, 2011 at 9:58 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Ollie said:
Alright, so first off, it the Option 1 flag is not needed, unless it's supposed to be like, a horizontal and vertical trigger at the same time.

Which is for vertical then? Or is there a way that I can set the event (just some msg key wai and clr/clo commands) to go off at an exact tile?

May 17, 2011 at 10:04 PM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Option one is run event on contact, ollie. It is needed for the trigger to work.

May 17, 2011 at 10:08 PM
Hey.
Lace said:
Option one is run event on contact, ollie. It is needed for the trigger to work.

No it isn't.

May 17, 2011 at 10:08 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Option one is also set internally by the entity, so you don't really even need it.

May 17, 2011 at 10:20 PM
Hey.
Game Reaper said:
Which is for vertical then? Or is there a way that I can set the event (just some msg key wai and clr/clo commands) to go off at an exact tile?

Option 2 is for vertical.

And also, there is, but it's not as convenient as the H/V Trigger.

May 17, 2011 at 10:28 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
cool thanks! got it workin!:rolleyes:

...darn, yet another problem the <INI command won't work

May 17, 2011 at 10:36 PM
Been here way too long...
For <INI can you say what's going wrong?

Ollie said:
No it isn't.
I'm not sure which part of that statement you were referring to, so I'm going to assume it was the "run event on contact" part. the "necessarily to run part" is indeed false because the flag is always set with h/v triggers.

So yes, actually, option one actually is run event on contact.
Option two toggles the "direction" of npcs. For h/v triggers, true means vertical.

yay!

May 17, 2011 at 10:40 PM
Hey.
Lace said:
I'm not sure which part of that statement you were referring to, so I'm going to assume it was the "run event on contact" part. the "necessarily to run part" because the flag is always set with h/v triggers.

Ooohh, I must have misunderstood. What I meant is that you don't need to set it on the entity from the map, because it does nothing. I'm no good at explaining things.

May 17, 2011 at 10:56 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Thx ollie!

Lace: The <INI doesn't do anything when i put it in the script it just closes the message box and resumes the game.

!IMPORTANTE! (spanish 4 important, lol) Nevermind, the <INI command works now.

May 17, 2011 at 11:28 PM
I don't mean to sound rude and I really hope I don't come across as such because I'm not trying to offend you or anyone, but have you -ever- written anything code-related before? Like, even HTML? It's just, it's almost like you don't quite understand the flow of the script. And uh, well if you don't know the basics, trying to skip 'chapter 1' and go straight to 'chapter 3' is going to leave you hanging. I know TSC isn't really HTML, but HTML is probably the -closest- thing I can think of. I believe you need to research beginner's programming guides online, and do some reading. Try languages such as Java or C++, not that I am suggesting you learn any, only that you read up to get the gist of some programming basics under wrap. Many problems one can experience, especially many that you have been describing, are as clear as a typo when you understand that an event needs a beginning, a body, an end, and understand the importance of the placement and order of all the components.

May 18, 2011 at 2:47 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Thank you, but I am fine with tsc, (in fact i'm pretty durn good for a beginner) I just need a blank slate and maybe a lil help once in awhile (in this case a lot) and i will do fine. As a matter of fact I am about to release a demo of the mod sometime soon, today, (probly not though because I'm really tired) tomorrow, or at the latest the day after. (i just need to edit the Mychar.pbm and the demo will be done, although a little short because it's just a sample of the actual game)

May 18, 2011 at 2:49 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Dubby said:
I don't mean to sound rude and I really hope I don't come across as such because I'm not trying to offend you or anyone, but have you -ever- written anything code-related before? Like, even HTML? It's just, it's almost like you don't quite understand the flow of the script. And uh, well if you don't know the basics, trying to skip 'chapter 1' and go straight to 'chapter 3' is going to leave you hanging. I know TSC isn't really HTML, but HTML is probably the -closest- thing I can think of. I believe you need to research beginner's programming guides online, and do some reading. Try languages such as Java or C++, not that I am suggesting you learn any, only that you read up to get the gist of some programming basics under wrap. Many problems one can experience, especially many that you have been describing, are as clear as a typo when you understand that an event needs a beginning, a body, an end, and understand the importance of the placement and order of all the components.

A lot of people do try to learn TSC before learning any other programming language and do seem to encounter similar issues. But TSC is pretty easy so most people can pick it up pretty well from what I can see. TSC works well as a beginner programming language (even if it's technically a script language).

May 18, 2011 at 3:25 AM
I know. I mean, I got into programming because of a scripting language that is similarly simple, but that was almost a decade ago. I ran into the same types of problems that he seems to be having, and I was told to go read up on the beginner basics [101 stuff] of programming. Doing so -did- help me, back then. (Although I started my learning with C, instead of C++ which is what most people do)

Still, I think the same tactic should be applicable here.

May 18, 2011 at 3:26 AM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Game Reaper said:
Thank you, but I am fine with tsc, (in fact i'm pretty durn good for a beginner) I just need a blank slate and maybe a lil help once in awhile (in this case a lot) and i will do fine. As a matter of fact I am about to release a demo of the mod sometime soon, today, (probly not though because I'm really tired) tomorrow, or at the latest the day after. (i just need to edit the Mychar.pbm and the demo will be done, although a little short because it's just a sample of the actual game)

Sounds like you have been just editing tsc scripts and messed up trying a blank slate. TSC was my first too so Just study Pixle's code when you want to do something and you'll get it. As for your short demo, is it custom plot and graphics or or an edit of CS?

May 18, 2011 at 8:14 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
It (the finished game) will be a whole different game than cavestory, it has different characters, sometime it will have different levels (not in the demo though, I just want it to be thebasic beginning with the first weapon and the main character and an npc or two [not including enemies]) and it will have different weapons. (The game will be a mod of cavestory though, nothing to do with the game though)