On the Subject of Censoring Words

Oct 24, 2013 at 1:24 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
do you want me to like,
move this discussion to the thread you all /should/ have posted it to in the first place
:L

Oct 24, 2013 at 1:26 AM
Been here way too long...
Good thing DoubleThink cleared up all the confusion by posting a vague sentence in an unrelated thread.

Oct 24, 2013 at 1:48 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Well, the "this whole thing was hilarious" comment maybe should have gone there anyway, so you should probably move some of the stuffs so that this poor thread doesn't get too clogged.

Oct 24, 2013 at 1:59 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
Noxid said:
do you want me to like,
move this discussion to the thread you all /should/ have posted it to in the first place
:L
You may as well, that's where it technically belongs since it really doesn't fit here too much.

Oct 24, 2013 at 2:04 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Oct 24, 2013 at 4:28 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Captain Fabulous said:
Good thing DoubleThink cleared up all the confusion by posting a vague sentence in an unrelated thread.
Waaay too vague. I was still under the impression that the filter was on until Polaris corrected me just recently. Maybe I'm just going the way of SkyeWelse in not being active enough?

Though I worry that people are going to decide that "boycotts solve everything" after this.

Oct 24, 2013 at 4:33 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
andwhyisit said:
Though I worry that people are going to decide that "boycotts solve everything" after this.
I found the boycotts hilarious so I personally wouldn't mind this outcome.

Oct 24, 2013 at 4:34 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Maybe we should just delist their mods anyway, to be safe >:3
I mean they did decide to pull them themselves in the first place

Oct 24, 2013 at 4:42 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Bombchu Link said:
Your missing the point. we don't want to have to read this profanity. and now that every little "darn" or "heck" is the cussing counterpart, I... Just don't think it is any longer and acceptable environment for any normal christian to be inside.

That's why I'm fighting, I'm fighting for the 6 months of work that I've put into Suu No Monogatari. and also for all the ASM that I've tired hours and hours on making my NPC's.

I don't like it when people throw garbage on my dreams, I wanted to make a wonderful mod in all, but It's not worth it to me if I have to compromise everything I have stood up for away.

And me and light are not IRL friends.
The buck stops here. I cannot and will not compromise any longer.
Well aren't you just a pillar of morality? I really don't see how this affected you that much at all, since it wasn't a retroactive filter (only worked on posts made after its implementation) and it's not like it was forcing people to swear.

And also if you really have this much trouble in an environment where people swear, perhaps you should seek professional help, or come back when you're a little more mature/capable of handling people using "bad words".

Oct 24, 2013 at 4:50 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Noxid said:
alienate yourself from the general population and show that you aren't familiar with the local social customs.
re-iterating this in advance because it's pretty much the extent of what was achieved through the debacle

Oct 24, 2013 at 5:03 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
being familiar with local customs is a good idea if you don't want to say, accidentally get beat up in a bar or something
it's kind of a general social tip

Oct 24, 2013 at 5:06 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Random-storykeeper said:
Why is being familiar with "local social customs" even a good thing? If anything, doesn't doing what the general public does alienate yourself even further?
No it allows you to fit in and be accepted, and make a good impression among the local populace.

Oct 24, 2013 at 5:15 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
I still have no comment on the social whatnot, but I'm not sure about the uncensor not being retroactive. 6 hours before Andwhy made the post stating he activated it, I uploaded an image to my gallery with the word "heck" in the description. Sometime after, when I checked in and saw the posts about the new uncensor, I checked the gallery image. Sure enough, the "heck" had been changed to "hell". Going into the edit box showed "heck" under the hood and not hell, but because the bypassing measure apparently doesn't work in Gallery descriptions, I attempted to change it back, but it only set itself to hell again, and fully this time. I decided to let it be.

I could totally still be wrong somehow, but...

Oct 24, 2013 at 5:19 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Polaris said:
I still have no comment on the social whatnot, but I'm not sure about the uncensor not being retroactive. 6 hours before Andwhy made the post stating he activated it, I uploaded an image to my gallery with the word "heck" in the description. Sometime after, when I checked in and saw the posts about the new uncensor, I checked the gallery image. Sure enough, the "heck" had been changed to "hell". Going into the edit box showed "heck" under the hood and not hell, but because the bypassing measure apparently doesn't work in Gallery descriptions, I attempted to change it back, but it only set itself to hell again, and fully this time. I decided to let it be.

I could totally still be wrong somehow, but...
I'd say the evidence for it not being retroactive lies in Hiino's first post in this thread, which kept all of its non-swears after the filter was applied. Also the filter was permanent iirc, actually changing the content of the post instead of just filtering it on display (which is kind of a stupid implementation for a filter imo).

But maybe the filter got applied to all the galleries or something?

Oct 24, 2013 at 5:26 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
Could be. I'm not honestly sure of how these things work. I don't think Andwhy would just apply it so thoroughly to the Gallery and nowhere else, unless it was something he had no control over because of the differentish structure of the Gallery, or simply an oversight or bug of sorts.

Oct 24, 2013 at 5:38 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
My understanding was that when a post is submitted (not just for new posts but for editing posts as well) the text is modified, and not before. But the filter list was removed entirely so the text can be changed back if needs be.

Oct 24, 2013 at 5:44 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
No it allows you to fit in and be accepted, and make a good impression among the local populace.
Not to flame, but I haven't fit-in or had a good impression at all with most of the people I'm with each day, and that doesn't bother me. If I have the 15 or so crazy nut-jobs like myself, and we can all converse and hang out together at the corners of high school during the breaks of the day, then who cares about those hundreds of teens too stuck up, thinking that anyone that doesn't seem right in their eye, is simply broken.