Jenka's Nightmare - Done. *mic drop* [3.0.1.0]

Jun 17, 2014 at 9:25 PM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
NEW BUG: Heh, I just found a NewGame+ bug on the very start of the game, there is a save diskette in "A Familiar Room". The carry-over function for the Alien Medal and Little Man can work only once when the profile from the Original Cave Story is loaded (Alien Medal becomes Map System). The Save Disk has it's same function, to save the game. If I save, then reload the game, the carry-over items are no longer available! I lose the Little Man and the Map System. To fix: You can delete the Save Disk from the map, or change its Event # to call a new event in which it will not allow you to save. Give a little description or something on it.

NEW BUG: Another one regarding the first Hermit Gunsmith map, check this event:
Code:
<MNA<FLJ0004:0095<DNP0250<FL-0004<FL-0002<CMU0000<DNP0160<FAI0003<END
Unfortunately, NPC 160 also has flag 4 attached to it as using <DNP0160 after <FL-0004, Flag 4 is still active making the Little Man talk about knowing how to use the weapon before picking up the Polar Star, and the door letting you through while Sammy the Crow chases you. To fix: Please move <DNP0160 before <FL-0004.
Code:
<MNA<FLJ0004:0095<DNP0250   <DNP0160   <FL-0004<FL-0002<CMU0000   <FAI0003<END
SPELLING/GRAMMAR: Magic Journal: Entering the Underside and losing your weapons, the description has a misspelled word "Suprise". Missing one 'r'. Should be "Surprise".
Little Man: Fighting Suto in the Old Warehouse in Grasstown... "Breath" (breth) should be "Breathe" (breeth)

This is for Revision 1.

This is my new checklist as I play through the new version to make sure the problems are resolved:
1. In Flow Control Script, <FL+0016 is moved from #0200 to #0301 for Little Man's speech. (Checked true in script using CaveEditor) - FIXED! :)
2. Little Man's dialog one line space in Sanctuary been corrected. (Checked true in script using CaveEditor) - FIXED! :)
3. Frog stands on invisible block in Sanctuary problem is resolved. (Checked true in script using CaveEditor) - FIXED! :)
4. Little Man talks about giant robot about to kill BEFORE boss fight with Deconstructor in Sand Zone. Check if there is a new flag that fixed the problem. (Checked true in scripts using CaveEditor) - FIXED! :)
5. ROSEHIPS description "Chimney" to "Conduit". (Checked true in script using CaveEditor) - FIXED! :)
6. Chest flag 97 problem in Labyrinth C. (Must experience the game)
7. Curly must fall to her death in Grasstown if the Excalibur was not acquired by Quote. (Checked true in Observatory (Red) script using CaveEditor)
8. Hermit Gunsmith second map, <EVE0318 to <EVE0218 in #0213. (Checked true in script using CaveEditor)
9. Ignition Key and sequence-breaking. (Checked true for option of the third-type using CaveEditor. Apparently, Curly now has her own key as Booster made two identical keys!) - FIXED! :)
10. Check Balrog like enemies (cutscene drop-ins) not shootable before going into Boss Mode in the Boss Rush. (Checked false in scripts using CaveEditor)

Jun 21, 2014 at 1:35 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
wheres the labrynth pignon?

Jun 21, 2014 at 2:51 PM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Check the walkthrough for chest locations. (Mouse over any chest for a moment to see what's inside)

Jun 21, 2014 at 5:19 PM
Oh awesome, you finished the walkthrough. GJ

Jun 22, 2014 at 1:42 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Just finished the mod -- great job! I had played the original mod by Schmitz and also a different version. I like what you did with it. And, you certainly weren't kidding about that bonus content...

Jun 23, 2014 at 11:28 AM
I found a bug!
After got the Critter Juice, i go back to Labyrinth W.
Then, i give the Critter Juice to Monster X.
But i forget to save, so i go back to Old Clinic and save the game.
Then go back to ride Monster X, i move to the right but Monster X does'nt moving.
I move to right again and Monster X still not moving.
Then i fall to deathtraps and game over...
deathtraps.png

Jun 29, 2014 at 4:06 AM
Veteran Member
ZarroTsu! I found a repeating bug issue found in ArmsItem for when...
the Little Man says something about "ZarroTsu" in the Secret Room:
Code:
<KEY<MSGHey, hey, hold up.<NOD
Did he just break the forth wall!?<NOD
...<NOD What do you mean 'I am too'??<NOD<FL+2264<FRE<EVE5998
<KEY<MSGI wonder if this kid starts to see
things after having to work so
much in this sweltering heat?<NOD<FL+2263<FRE<EVE5998
<KEY<MSGDo you think this kid stops
long enough to take a breath?<NOD Or
is this mod that important to him?<NOD<FL+2262<FRE<EVE5998
<KEY<MSGOh jeez, look at this nerd.<NOD
Look at him!<NOD His eyes are glued
to the screen!<NOD<CLRWhat is he even doing
on there anyway?<NOD Is he...<NOD Watching
a Cave Story Let's Play!?<NOD<FL+2261<FRE<EVE5998
You repeated #5996 three times.
Code:
<FLJ2264:5999<FLJ2257:5994
<FLJ2263:5999<FLJ2255:5995
<FLJ2262:5999<FLJ2253:5996
<FLJ2261:5999<FLJ2251:5997
<EVE5999
How is it going to find #5994 & #5995? I examined the Little Man in the Sand Zone's Secret Room (Misery's Abode early). It tried to find #5995. Little Man repeated the "break the fourth wall" (correct the word "forth" to "fourth") as in the Second Secret Room (which I think that message should be related to the Fourth Secret Room.) Please correct the top two.

Also, try to make the Little Man explain after talking to "ZarroTsu".

Also, review my previous post.

I has held up on making sure the bugs stay fixed in JN, had many TV programs to catch up and also playing a new game that involves spikes.

EDIT: Mockup picture on where that "hissing" comes from (to guide new players):
[attachment=617:Khss Mockup.png]

Attachments

• Khss Mockup.png
    Khss Mockup.png
    16.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 29, 2014 at 6:54 PM
Huh. That's actually a really good idea @ picture. I'll have to do that.

I'm waiting for apis to respond to my PM asking him for his profile to see if I can replicate the bug he ran into, because I'm stumped. If Monster X vanished with the critter juice, it sets a flag to keep him vanished if you leave/re-enter the room. There's also a second H/V trigger that appears specifically when the same flag as monster X vanishing is set, so it really shouldn't be possible to accidentally fail to start the fight.

Moreover, in the event that Monster X fails to actually spawn, the same flag that would remove the event to spawn his machine would also despawn all the spikes in the area, so it can't be that either. I don't get it.

Update 1.5.1.0

- Fixed Fluff's newest buglist.
- Fixed the bug listed in Apis' post.
- Added a "KHSS" bubble above the teleporter room door in grass town that appears when you get close.
- Reverted the Baby's graphics back to the original. It kept on bugging me that the large things would turn into mechanical, unfeeling eye things. I dunno why. It doesn't affect anything other than the graphic, though.

Jun 30, 2014 at 1:41 AM
Veteran Member
Fixed bugs (hidden from view in spoiler):
FIXED in 1.5.2.0: NG+ bug Save Issue in "A Familiar Room" not completely fixed. The H/V triggers do work again after closing JN and running the app again. Flag 7999 is the highest possible flag, beyond that CANNOT be saved in Profile.dat. Source: Flags.txt by Kapow. To fix: Change the H/V triggers FlagID from 9999 to any unused number not exceeding 7999.
FIXED in 1.5.2.0: "KHSS" bubble reappears after defeating Suto in the Teleporter Room. It makes it worse, Suto reappears in the Teleporter Room and you fight him again! To fix: You forgot to set the H/V trigger in Grasstown to disappear when the flag in the ID is set after beating Suto.
SPELLING/GRAMMAR issues found (This WILL be in a new post.)

Checklist complete, all bugs listed below have been considered fixed :D:
☑ 1. NG+ Bug: "A Familiar Room" Save Disk removed or event changed. (Option of third type, used flag 7999 so the little man & map system is kept) - FIXED!
☑ 2. Event 93 in first Hermit Gunsmith map script fixed. (Checked true in script using CaveEditor) - FIXED!
☑ 3. Spelling/Grammar for one message of little man and one message of magic journal (Breathe & Surprise, checked true. Obviously it's...) - FIXED!
☑ 4. Chest flag 97 problem in Labyrinth C. (Must experience the game) - FIXED!
☑ 5. ArmsItem #5996 repeating is now relabeled. (Checked true in script using CaveEditor) - FIXED!
☑ 6. Curly must fall to her death in Grasstown if the Excalibur was not acquired by Quote. (Checked true in Observatory (Red) script using CaveEditor) - FIXED!
☑ 7. Hermit Gunsmith second map, <EVE0318 to <EVE0218 in #0213. (Checked true in script using CaveEditor) - FIXED!
☑ 8. Check Balrog like enemies (cutscene drop-ins) not shootable before going into Boss Mode in the Boss Rush. (Checked false in scripts using CaveEditor) - FIXED!

Jun 30, 2014 at 3:20 AM
Update 1.5.2.0

- Fixed those things from 1.5.1.0 that weren't done correctly.

Jun 30, 2014 at 6:06 AM
Veteran Member
ZarroTsu said:
- Reverted the Baby's graphics back to the original. It kept on bugging me that the large things would turn into mechanical, unfeeling eye things. I dunno why. It doesn't affect anything other than the graphic, though.
I happened to check the Casts bitmap and the Credits script. Name and sprite are false, you missed these. You now also need to change the sprite in the Casts bitmap and rename in the Credits script.

Jul 1, 2014 at 3:29 AM
Update 1.5.2.1

- Fixed the credits in regards to the change from 'node' back to 'baby'.

Jul 3, 2014 at 8:25 AM
Veteran Member
Good news! All the bugs in the checklist are no longer present and therefore are fixed.

Bad news... now I picked up the leftover Spelling/Grammar issues and new bugs for you to fix.

Spelling/Grammar:
(word in bold is your replacement word)
● Little Man: upon entering Sand Zone for the first time and you examine him, "rediculous" is misspelled. Should be "ridiculous". ArmsItem #5113.
● Don't forget "Break the forth wall" in ArmsItem #5994 too because "forth" should be "fourth".
● Magic Journal: Talking to a nearby Cthulhu the first time after meeting with the dogs Wine Cellar gives new info. "eachother" must be "each other" ArmsItem #6123.
● Chie says "Maybe you can Curly can team up...". The first "can" should be "and". Mimiga Village #0547.
● Kanpachi's speeches be it bad news or getting ready to leave the island, "insense" should be "incense". Mimiga Village #0605 and #0607.
● Curly's Ignition Key: Who is he? "He" should be "Booster". ArmsItem #6047.
● Super ZTaimat World statue: "suprise" should be "surprise". Super Secret Room #0210.
● White's intro text: "presense" should be "presence" and "suprise" should be "surprise". JN116 #0100.
Five New Bugs:
● Hmmm... Mahin still says "at least one of the baddies" after beating BOTH Genesis and Oblivion. Put a second flagjump in #0586 in Mimiga Village and give new dialogue for both baddies. Should still call #0587 after talking to Mahin once.
● Talking to Misery at her abode in Sand Zone after beating both Genesis and Oblivion sets flag 0377. Unfortunately that flag is used for the Magic Journal flag to display "I've made it to the end. The Observatory should be nearby." To fix: You need to change the flag and flagjump to a new unused flag number in #0217 in Misery's Abode (JN042) script.
● In the Abandoned Facility, for the Machine Gun ammo augmentation chest at the top of the map, you put another CLOSED chest on top instead of OPEN chest. It does not appear open after obtaining the augmentation. A picture of this bug is in a spoiler way below this post. To fix: Change the top NPC to a OPEN chest.
As Curly: Outer Wall H/V triggers just get deleted if you have Booster 2.0 from Quote's item. It calls #0301 to delete NPC 0300 but where is the <END command?! Without it, it continues to #0500 for the Kero Medal Chest event (it returned "Empty." in the message). To fix: Add <END in #0301 after <DNP0300.
As Curly, NG+ Related: The Balcony's Life Capsule causes to run a script for Jenka & Misery to talk and then commences the Final Boss Tristitia prematurely. To fix: It's a carry-over item from another Balcony map for Quote's playthrough. Copy event #0400 and it's contents from JN091 to JN104.
Okay, I already finished playing through. Expecting new version. I recommend upping a build, not minor. (In other words, version should be 1.5.3.0)

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 6, 2014 at 7:39 PM
Update 1.5.3.0

- More bug fixes
- Spelling and grammar corrections
- Added a save point to the bottom of the Outer Wall on the 'Dawn' side.

Jul 6, 2014 at 10:40 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Hello all, I believe this is my first post. Hell, I at least forgot I signed up... Anyway, this mod seems fantastic, but I have a small problem, Zarrot, that I hope you can adress or clue me in on. The mod looks ABSOLUTELY GIGANTIC :muscledoc: ... So, I bring this up because games like Metroid (and even my first time through Cave Story) are games I call guide games. I can see that there are bugfixes still going on, which is fine, but I want to know when you're finishing the walkthrough. At this point, I don't need a walkthrough for many CS related things, including Doors's version of Jenka's Nightmare. This, however, frightens me, to be honest, which is pathetic, I know :awesomeface: ... So, it seems you're done adding content (besides new Floppies to save with, thanks for that), so I was wondering if the walkthrough's coming any time soon. Sorry to be pushy or petty or whatever. Hate on me if you wish, I just want to know what's going on.

Jul 6, 2014 at 10:59 PM
Written walkthrough has been on the backburner for a while, but I haven't been able to find the time to work on it. There is, however, an interactive map available on the game's website, here.

I'll look at putting up the portion of the written walkthrough that I have written, when I get a chance.

Jul 6, 2014 at 11:29 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Can the maps properly get me through the game? There seem to be a lot of Guide Dang It moments.
Also, for the best New Game Plus (like, most broken, lol), should I do a 100% run of Cave Story?
If you can give me a condensed 100% walkthrough I can make due with that. I have like 6 more weeks before school, so I'm in no hurry for you to do anything walkthrough-related.
Oh my, I keep adding to this post. Are there any items I should or should not get for 100%? Weapons, etc? Anything I can easily miss? I'm sorry for being so questioning.

Jul 6, 2014 at 11:57 PM
Veteran Member
A little small favor for Revision 1 Build 4. Look at the picture below:
***Picture attachment removed to recover space***

See this vertical pipe on the lower-left? The player could deliberately use the Booster 2.0 through the current and go off the map forever! This makes all the visible Stumpy enemies to freeze because of outdistancing. To fix: Place a pipe with an X mark (solid) to prevent that.

Playtest has proven that ALL bugs in the Checklist have been FIXED! :D
☐☑☒

☑ 1. Check all listed 8 Spelling/Grammar corrections using CaveEditor. - FIXED!
☑ 2. Mahin to say you beat both baddies after both Genesis & Oblivion are defeated. (Checked true in script in CaveEditor) - FIXED!
☑ 3. Check new flag number in Misery's Abode so Magic Journal doesn't update prematurely. (Checked true in script in CaveEditor) - FIXED!
☑ 4. Abandoned Facility Machine Gun ammo chest appears open upon revisit. (Checked true in map in CaveEditor) - FIXED!
☑ 5. As Curly: Outer Wall H/V triggers should delete themselves only after Quote's items obtained. Event #0301 should have <END. (Checked true in script in CaveEditor) - FIXED!
☑ 6. As Curly: Balcony's life capsule should be 'picked up.' #0400 is copied from JN091 to JN104. (Checked true in script in CaveEditor) - FIXED!

Jul 7, 2014 at 12:05 AM
@Mistress Nemesis:

Any combination of weapons you want, really. If you want more health at the beginning of the game, collect all the life capsules. If you want more health towards the end of the game, don't collect any of the life capsules. Anywhere in the middle is also fine. You just collect life caps you missed to get more health later.

Which parts do you need help with?

Spirit Maze:
If you move next to the spirit on the turn before it moves, it's more likely to go in that direction next.
p183379-0-yu5ku3i.png

Sand Zone:
Set two teleporters to one another, then take the third.
Set Mimiga and Gaudi to one another, then take flower.
After you get the Booster 0.8, set Mimiga and Flower to one another, then take Gaudi.

Labyrinth Maze:
Loop around the top part, then take the bottom door for a new exit.
After Labyrinth S's intermission, when you re-enter the maze, take the door you came from to move to the next area.

Jul 7, 2014 at 1:56 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I appreciate the help. I actually know most of that stuff from Doors' version. What I mean is how much new stuff did you add? And is there anything permanently missable, and anything really out of the way that I wouldn't think to do. What items are added in this release, what's removed as opposed to Doors' release, what can I miss, what EXACTLY do I need to do to get 100%? Sidequests, bonus content, and what's this stuff about Curly? All of that stuff.

Is there a finite number of life capsules I can get or something because of NG+?

How different is this from Doors' mod? I'm assuming it's better but how many changes have you made. Also, how do I get the best ending for each character?

Edit: I see what you meant by NG+'s capsules. I'll check gamefaqs for a good save, because I can't imagine myself defeating Monster X or the Undead Core with the original measley health poor Quote has at the start of CS. And LORDY LORDY LET US NOT FORGET BALLOS. I know I don't need to fight him for NG+ but still. So, how do I set up for NG+? Just put Profile.dat in the directory with JN?