Jenka's Nightmare - Done. *mic drop* [3.0.1.0]

Jul 7, 2014 at 4:17 AM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Yes. Load the game from Prefab house, only in JN.

Be warned that a lot of profiles were set up with a trainer and may not work. If you wind up with zero HP when you start the game, that'd be why.

Jul 7, 2014 at 4:22 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I appreciate the help. I'm familiar with Doors' mod. How much did you change, what did you add, what did you remove, and do I need to look for any specific items for the best ending for Quote and/or Curly? Those are my remaining questions.

Jul 7, 2014 at 4:48 AM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Emergency. Here is another bug. It is a floating chest! Look at the picture and see what I mean: ***Picture attachment removed to recover space***
***Picture attachment removed to recover space***
Read again carefully as the instructions on fixing the bug may have been changed. (Edited 7/9/2014 10:54 PM Pacific Daylight Time.)
In the Map editor, move JUST the open chest NPC to the spot below where the chest is floating and clear 0x1000 (One Tile Down). That way, the opened chest will appear even when you re-enter Outer Wall or you're loading from the save at the nearby diskette.

Please remove the MNP command for the open chest NPC in #0095 in the script. It is not needed.

Here is the code below for the Outer Wall script before the change:
Code:
<MNA<CMU0025<FAI0000<ITJ0014:0000<EVE0095
<MNA<CMU0025<FAI0001<END
<MNA<CMU0025<FAI0002<END
<MNA<CMU0025<FAI0003<END
<MNA<CMU0025<FAI0004<END
<MNP0500:0021:0177:0000<MNP0501:0021:0176:0002<END
I see there is an Item Jump if you have Booster 2.0 in event #0090 and it is set for event #0000. Let it call #0096 instead and have it delete the Open Chest and clear flag 0340 so the open chest doesn't appear ever again. The open chest is no longer visible when you re-enter the map or load at the nearby diskette after picking up Quote's Items. Here is the code below that will fix the bug after physically moving the open chest NPC in the Map Editor (spaces tell what's been changed, remember to clear them!):
Code:
<MNA<CMU0025<FAI0000 <ITJ0014:0096 <EVE0095
<MNA<CMU0025<FAI0001<END
<MNA<CMU0025<FAI0002 <ITJ0014:0096<DNP0095 <END
<MNA<CMU0025<FAI0003<END
<MNA<CMU0025<FAI0004<END
<DNP0095<ITJ0014:0000<FLJ0340:0000 <MNP0500:0021:0177:0000 <END

<DNP0501<DNP0095<FL-0340<END
This will leave with a minor oversight for the Closed chest because it is moved with event 0095 when you come to Outer Wall from Egg 00. If you save the game, then restarted and reload, the Closed chest is gone. You will have to go to Egg 00 then back to Outer Wall for the chest to reappear. The oversight can be corrected. Put an H/V trigger next to the Save Disk set to horizontal with Event #0095 on it so the closed chest can appear even when you load from save. (Event #0095 has been changed if you are going to place H/V triggers next to the save to correct the oversight and FULLY fix the bug.) Here is the setup picture:
***Picture attachment removed to recover space***

Double-emergency. Take a look at the code in the Head script. I found another bug for when Curly takes a look at your NG+ Machine Gun capsule and when you refuse her request:
Code:
<KEY<MSG<GIT1006<FAC0003That capsule...<NOD
<FAC0001Could I have a look at it
for a sec?<YNJ0024<CLR<FAC0000
.....<NOD<CLR
..........<NOD<CLR<SOU0022<GIT0000<IT-0006<FAC0001
Ahah!<NOD It opened!<NOD<CLR<FAC0001You got my =Machine Gun=
from Balrog, right?<NOD
It looks like this'll
help you out a lot!<NOD<FAC0000<AM+0004:0080<CLR<FL+2125
<GIT0015=Machine Gun= ammo increased by 80!<NOD<END
<MSG
<FAC0004Well alright then.<NOD<END
<FLJ0343:0026<ITJ0037:0025
<PRI<MSGA rocket of some sort?<NOD
Engraved on the dashboard is
the name "Booster".<NOD<END
In #0022, <YNJ0024 goes to the rocket script if you say no to Curly and there are no rockets in Town Hall. To fix: Change <YNJ0024 to <YNJ0023.

Spelling:
SRB2Kart Statue: The usual surprise. "suprise" should be "surprise". Super Secret Room #0213.

Make sure you saw that post earlier and never mind about Revision 1. It's now for Build 4. (All previous bugs in the checklist have been FIXED. I am finished playtesting 1.5.3.0. Expecting the next version that fixes three bugs and a spelling error. After this point, I am going to test another NG+ with Snake and Nemesis from the Original Cave Story. I had gone to great lengths as a tester.)

(Don't look in this spoiler unless you truly beat the game, players.)
[attachment=622:CredPicCurly.png] The way Curly is drawn is so cute! I just had to compliment this picture in the credits.

Attachments

• CredPicCurly.png
    CredPicCurly.png
    809 bytes · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 7, 2014 at 1:28 PM
Mistress Nemesis said:
I appreciate the help. I'm familiar with Doors' mod. How much did you change, what did you add, what did you remove, and do I need to look for any specific items for the best ending for Quote and/or Curly? Those are my remaining questions.
Everything is revamped, but the progression layout is the same until after the Labyrinth.

The mirror fragments don't exist anymore, and there are no requirements for the best ending. In fact, there's a save point immediately next to the 'basic' ending, so you can view the credits if you want, then find the true ending later.

Hidden text highlight (or click) to view:

True ending begins when you visit Jenka when it becomes possible to.

Jul 7, 2014 at 2:09 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Cool! Any special items for bonuses then? I heard stuff about Pignon notes and Jenka's fireplace. If I remember correctly, Jenka's fireplace in Doors' version lead to Asura's domain, but I'm not surprised he no longer exists (besides, whenever I think Asura, I think Soul Eater). So, the Pignons and Jenka's fireplace? What's up with those?

Also, what's the deal about Curly's story, because it seems it's worth more than just a pair of panties this time.

EDIT: If I were to find a hack of Cave Story so that I don't lose health when I get hit, but that's ALL it does, can I use that for NG+? Or do I have to torture myself? Because I want those life tanks. Or do you just reccommend starting with the 11 extra HP?

Jul 8, 2014 at 3:41 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
No one's stopping you from cheating, but you're going to ruin the game for yourself

Jul 8, 2014 at 4:27 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Doors said:
No one's stopping you from cheating, but you're going to ruin the game for yourself

I play Cave Story +, and have beaten Normal mode. According to Zarrot, your mod is a lot like his up to the Labyrinth. Didn't need to cheat there either (nor on the rest of the mod). But, I want to do a New Game Plus from a file from the original game with 3 HP and 10 Super Missiles, the Spur, the Fireball, the Bubbler, and the Nemesis. I can't find a save like that and I'll never be able to beat Monster X or the Undead Core with 3 HP. I don't want to cheat in JN, but doing such a handicapped run on Cave Story seems too tough for me, even though I'd consider myself a decent player.

BTW, does anybody know the contents of all the capsules for NG+? I'd like to know so I don't have to play through the original game a billion times.

Jul 8, 2014 at 6:50 PM
You know in the time you've spent preparing the play the game, you probably could have beaten it twice already.

Just dive right in with whatever profile you beat the original CS with. There is no 'best' setup, because I intended it to have a lot of 'replay' value instead of 'hardcore' value.

If you want to hack your profile to skip to the end of the Labyrinth, that's up to you, but I couldn't tell you which flags are required to do so without running into issues. I don't see the problem with playing through it all again if you beat it once already, though. You'd probably get through it in equal or less time than trying to get a profile that skips it.

Jul 8, 2014 at 7:31 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
ZarroTsu said:
You know in the time you've spent preparing the play the game, you probably could have beaten it twice already.

Just dive right in with whatever profile you beat the original CS with. There is no 'best' setup, because I intended it to have a lot of 'replay' value instead of 'hardcore' value.

If you want to hack your profile to skip to the end of the Labyrinth, that's up to you, but I couldn't tell you which flags are required to do so without running into issues. I don't see the problem with playing through it all again if you beat it once already, though. You'd probably get through it in equal or less time than trying to get a profile that skips it.

ADD's a bitch. I'm playing a few mods, actually. At this point, next is JN Revived, and then I'm playing this version. I would still like to know what's in the capsules, because chances are I won't ever HAVE the Blade, Machine Gun, or Snake capsules.

Jul 8, 2014 at 7:51 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
JNR isn't even worth playing. It's not even like, "I'm better than I was before and I can see flaws in my work" it is literally a lazy extension of JN filled with awful bullshit that I threw together last minute. Just play this one. Trust me.

Jul 9, 2014 at 8:21 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Doors said:
JNR isn't even worth playing. It's not even like, "I'm better than I was before and I can see flaws in my work" it is literally a lazy extension of JN filled with awful bullshit that I threw together last minute. Just play this one. Trust me.
It's a guilty pleasure. Plus, I like to challenge myself with some of the more poorly-made portions. For example, I actually liked that one Life Capsule hidden in the Sand Zone area where I had to hurt myself to get at it. Zarrot took that out in this version (I've seen the maps).

Plus, the longer I wait to play it, Zarrot may release another update. I prefer my chests on the ground, not floating. Fucking chests how do they work :muscledoc:

EDIT: Found a trainer that I can use to make myself invincible in the original Cave Story. I'll do a low HP run and get to the mod next.

Jul 10, 2014 at 2:49 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Dunc2403 said:
I don't understand why you think a min-hp NG+ is necessary for you to enjoy the game
I enjoy the feeling of finding collectables, like when I finally figured out how to get that Life Capsule in Revived. So, less HP in NG+, more collectables for me to get. I was perfectly ready to just do an NG Plus with the bonus 11 HP, but then I realized this very site has a trainer. So, it's a bonus for me.

Hey, this is a little off-topic, but I know there are time bonuses for beating the Sacred Grounds/Blood-Stained Sanctuary really fast in Cave Story and CS+. What are those bonuses? What characters and what songs? I may end up doing it... Don't judge me :droll:

Jul 10, 2014 at 3:18 PM
Same bonuses as the original, if you can really call those bonuses.

Although I wouldn't mind seeing videos of speed runs of JN's version of 'hell', just to see people suf-- I mean enjoy it.

Jul 10, 2014 at 6:34 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
ZarroTsu said:
Same bonuses as the original, if you can really call those bonuses.

Although I wouldn't mind seeing videos of speed runs of JN's version of 'hell', just to see people suf-- I mean enjoy it.

... Perhaps I should just try it in the original since I have the trainer. Isn't JN's Hell just the same thing? The once-sacred grounds look pretty similar. Still, when I think of speedrunning ANY Hell I immediately :momo: :greydroll: :balrog: :muscledoc: . ALL OF THE FEAR!

Jul 10, 2014 at 9:14 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
That's the best mod ever!
But i have a problem:
Where do i get the polar star back for the smith make a spur?

Jul 10, 2014 at 9:33 PM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
That's the best mod ever!
But i have a problem:
Where do i get the polar star back for the smith make a spur?
Have you been collecting Pignon notes yet? If not, please do so.

Locations:
Mimiga Village - Go in the water where there are three Chinfish swimming, there is a chest there. (Jump in while moving right to get it quicker and back without drowning if you don't have Curly's Air Tank)
Pipeworks - Go in the pipe at the very right of Pipeworks S and walk left. Keep going and you will get to the chest hidden behind the block.
Sand Zone - Either damage-boost up with the Rollings or use Booster v0.8 or v2.0 to the top-left of Eroding Valve (the map you entered from the Underside). The chest with the note lies there.
Grasstown - At the entrance from the Reservoir, use Booster v0.8 or v2.0 to go upwards to an alcove. There is another chest.
Labyrinth - The place where you fought the Great White Critter, use Booster v2.0 or a Machine Gun at Level 3 shooting downwards to get to the alcove with the chest.

Now head to the Cemetery in the Mimiga Village and go to the door.

Jul 10, 2014 at 9:55 PM
Mistress Nemesis said:
Isn't JN's Hell just the same thing? The once-sacred grounds look pretty similar.

OSG isn't the last level. Ergo, it isn't hell.

You'll know which one it is when Running Hell starts playing and your heart starts racing.

Jul 11, 2014 at 2:42 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
ZarroTsu said:
OSG isn't the last level. Ergo, it isn't hell.

You'll know which one it is when Running Hell starts playing and your heart starts racing.

I've seen the map, Zarrot. All of them. You really went above and beyond, and I apologize for doubting your ability to make a user-friendly mod! I got that 3HP file ready to go, so maybe I'll not kill myself over fucking up a lot... Erm... HUZZAH!

Btw, as a modder, do you know how to convert part of a CS+ spritesheet to a filetype that I can use as an avatar? I wanna get the Goddess Statue from the Balcony to match my name. I'd assume you'd know something seemingly basic like that. Do I change a file extension or something?

EDIT: That's exactly what I do.

EDIT 2: Hey, you know how you warn about starting with less than 6 HP in NG+ on the game's site? Not a problem with damage jumping with that Critter in First Cave! Hooray for starting the game with 1 HP!

EDIT 3: Who breaks the capsules? I have the Spur, Super Missiles, Bubbler, and Nemesis Capsules.

Jul 11, 2014 at 2:40 PM
Mistress Nemesis said:
EDIT 3: Who breaks the capsules? I have the Spur, Super Missiles, Bubbler, and Nemesis Capsules.

Find whoever seems relevant and talk to them more than once. You may have to finish the subquests relevant to them before they do it, though.