Jenka's Nightmare - Done. *mic drop* [3.0.1.0]

Jul 11, 2014 at 8:26 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Dunc2403 said:
I think my hell time of like what was 8 minutes or something was phenomenal
Lol, better than mine. Unless you're talking about this mod. IM STUCK ON THE GUARDIAN'S MAZE PLEASE HELP!!!!!

EDIT: I watched your stream footage. Thanks.

Jul 11, 2014 at 8:30 PM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Go back to my previous post about it and open both spoilers.

Jul 11, 2014 at 8:40 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
ZarroTsu said:
Go back to my previous post about it and open both spoilers.
Oh my god I completely forgot about that post, lol. I made it by watching Dunc suck a lot and then get it right. I kid, Dunc, at least you made it. As for the map, thanks Zarrot. I'll save the image for next time. Also, I can get back to the underside by talking to Jack, right? I want the Crescent Medal.

Addition: Holy shit it's Arthur! That was pretty awesome... Though the way King and Toroko look honestly creeps me out.

Jul 11, 2014 at 8:55 PM
Mistress Nemesis said:
Also, I can get back to the underside by talking to Jack, right? I want the Crescent Medal.
You can only get the crescent medal on the first go. It wouldn't be much of a reward if you could just reach it with the booster.

Jack also only lets you go back to the underside if you missed the Sanctuary in the first place.

Jul 11, 2014 at 9:31 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
ZarroTsu said:
You can only get the crescent medal on the first go. It wouldn't be much of a reward if you could just reach it with the booster.

Jack also only lets you go back to the underside if you missed the Sanctuary in the first place.
Well shit, does it do anything?

Also, when should I start looking for the capsule breakers? Spur, Super Missiles, Bubbler, and Nemesis.

BUG EDIT: This is negligible, but when I was in the Sand Zone and set Flower and Mimiga to each other, I went to the Gaudi teleporter. It looked like it was active even though I still had to feed the puppy. Again, this is barely a bug, imo.

Jul 12, 2014 at 12:38 AM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
With the bugs getting scarce, soon I may have done my job already.

The weekend is coming. There is one more thing I haven't tested. NG+ with Snake and Nemesis. I will be testing this and the version you release which will be build 4 (1.5.4.0)

Make sure posts 158 & 163 have been reviewed before releasing build 4 of Jenka's Nightmare.

I am now currently playing a NG+ with Snake & Nemesis from the Original Cave Story.

Jul 12, 2014 at 1:15 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I got the Catseye Medal! It seems useless, but I love fighting Monster X, so it was worth it. Zarrot, do you plan to put in a life bar? I raped him with

Hidden text highlight (or click) to view:

Excaliber

and he didn't seem any more resiliant than in Cave Story? Do you plan to leave it out to make it clear that X is an optional boss?

Jul 12, 2014 at 1:51 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
ZarroTsu said:
So, who breaks my 4 capsules? I'm guessing the Gunsmith for the Spur, Balrog for the S. Missiles, and the Little Man for the Nemesis. Who breaks the bubbler capsule, and where is the Little Man? Or am I wrong? And when do I get the Booster 2.0? I don't know what Booster means by "Later"

Currently I'm backtracking to all of the shutters, and getting anything I can get with the Booster 0.8.

Edit: Jack broke the Bubbler Capsule. So that leaves 3. Help?

BUG: Fluff may have reported this, but I was able to teleport to the Aqueduct before getting the data card.

Update: Genesis is down, and I have the Booster 2.0, so off to the rest of the upgrades. Still gotta break those capsules...

Update 2: Where's Bro Pignon?

Update 3: Alright, got Mjolnir. Cool. But actually, serious question, if I trade him the fireball, do I get prevented from getting the Machine gun?

Update 4: Too late. I never used the Snake anyway.

Update 5: All 4 capsules are broken, I just need to pick up some Ammo, upgrade my missiles, and then I'm off to the Egg Corridor and Once-Sacred Area. Seriously though, any clue where Bro Pignon is or something? I dunno.

Update 6: 61 AMMO TO UPGRADE THE MISSILES? Uhh, no... Isn't that a little dumb? I suppose it's 2/3 of your current missile count to upgrade the missiles but, that's outrageous. To be fair, though, 30 missiles is what I was able to make due with in the original, and they're faster, but still. Perhaps half the missiles in the next build would be better.

Jul 12, 2014 at 9:19 PM
I had it set as half-missiles for a while, but to be frank, having 1/3 your ammo for super missiles vs regular missiles is pretty balanced. On a regular game, if you collect all the missile upgrades, you'll get a total of 90, so the upgrade would be 30 missiles, which is just as many as you'd get in the original game (Or more depending on which missile capsule you give to Balrog). They're faster and more powerful and much more likely to obliterate even the end-game bosses in an instant.

The trade off is based on if you use missiles constantly (since there's such a higher ammo amount in general), or if you'd rather save them for the boss. If you use them constantly, you can just keep the regular missiles and have tons of ammo. If you find bosses are getting to be a larger pain to take down as easily, you can upgrade instead and keep them in reserve.

But yeah, 30 s.missiles is 'fair', 50 is 'overkill'.

BUG: Fluff may have reported this, but I was able to teleport to the Aqueduct before getting the data card.
Does the teleport actually work, or is it just the icon that showed up? I can't prevent the icon from showing up in NG+ due to hardcoded things.

Seriously though, any clue where Bro Pignon is or something?
Where are Pignons usually found?

Jul 12, 2014 at 11:09 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
ZarroTsu said:
I had it set as half-missiles for a while, but to be frank, having 1/3 your ammo for super missiles vs regular missiles is pretty balanced. On a regular game, if you collect all the missile upgrades, you'll get a total of 90, so the upgrade would be 30 missiles, which is just as many as you'd get in the original game (Or more depending on which missile capsule you give to Balrog). They're faster and more powerful and much more likely to obliterate even the end-game bosses in an instant.

The trade off is based on if you use missiles constantly (since there's such a higher ammo amount in general), or if you'd rather save them for the boss. If you use them constantly, you can just keep the regular missiles and have tons of ammo. If you find bosses are getting to be a larger pain to take down as easily, you can upgrade instead and keep them in reserve.

But yeah, 30 s.missiles is 'fair', 50 is 'overkill'.

Does the teleport actually work, or is it just the icon that showed up? I can't prevent the icon from showing up in NG+ due to hardcoded things.

Where are Pignons usually found?
Fair enough.

This is one of the puzzle teleporters, Gaudi. It looked active, but when I examined it, it gave the message for it being inactive. I had to feed Jenka's puppy.

Yeah, I found him, and finally killed that hissing piece of shit too. What exactly inspired you to create him? An excuse to use Balrog's AI? Because I hated every fight with him. A lot.

Who's monologuing in Arcadia? Curly, I'd assume?

Is there a boss rush? Btw, best mod ever.

Jul 13, 2014 at 12:14 AM
Mistress Nemesis said:
What exactly inspired you to create him? An excuse to use Balrog's AI? Because I hated every fight with him. A lot.
Pretty much.

*cough*

If you play the original JN, at the end of Grass Town you get in a fight with a needless Pooh Black -esque thing. It uses three of the available Balrog 'forms' in a row and then nobody speaks of it ever again. Kind of an odd encounter.

So I made it into a snickering bully to amuse and bemuse.

Jul 13, 2014 at 2:05 AM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Wait... I did that on my second visit on the Underside by going under at the first bat then came up with Booster 2.0 carefully at the gap after the second bat. (If I instead went over above the first bat, the walls block the Hidden Room. Same way when I come out of the shack or the Sanctuary.) Then went right, dropped and boosted to the Hidden Room while it's still open! If I did this and you believe I am not supposed to do this, then it should be a bug for you to fix.

What is the true and proper way to get the Crescent Medal only on the first visit to the Underside? (where you drop your weapons)

Please provide your answer in a spoiler.

Jul 13, 2014 at 2:31 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
ZarroTsu said:
Pretty much.

*cough*

If you play the original JN, at the end of Grass Town you get in a fight with a needless Pooh Black -esque thing. It uses three of the available Balrog 'forms' in a row and then nobody speaks of it ever again. Kind of an odd encounter.

So I made it into a snickering bully to amuse and bemuse.
He was a piece of shit, :pignon:

I honestly didn't like how much harder you made him, especially with the indestructable energy balls (his spit). Every time I saw him, I knew I'd love the dialog, but I'd hate the fight. I think the only reason I beat him the last time was because I had 99 health and the Nemesis-aided Mjolnir. That was mostly Pignon's fault though.

So, is there a boss rush?

And btw, excellent use of

Tristitia's

name. It reminds me a lot of Magolor Soul's flavor text in Kirby's Return to Dreamland... But really, Boss Rush? Or other goodies? I beat the game but when I reload my save, I understandably started outside

Arcadia

Jul 13, 2014 at 2:37 AM

There are five secret rooms in the game, that become unavailable as the plot progresses. Find all five to unlock the boss rush. I'm sure a few people have hinted where they are in the topic, but your best bet is to always try going somewhere you shouldn't be able to get to 'yet'.

Yes, you need to start a new game to find them. And a new game after that if you miss one.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Jul 13, 2014 at 2:44 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
ZarroTsu said:

There are five secret rooms in the game, that become unavailable as the plot progresses. Find all five to unlock the boss rush. I'm sure a few people have hinted where they are in the topic, but your best bet is to always try going somewhere you shouldn't be able to get to 'yet'.

Yes, you need to start a new game to find them. And a new game after that if you miss one.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Wow, great job asshole. I kid, I kid. I'd really appreciate the help because I know about what's in those rooms, and how to get to them... But no idea how to do it. I don't know how to sequence break in video games. I've trained myself to avoid sequence breaking in games. It makes me sad. So, could you please tell me where they are and how to get to the boss rush?

Jul 13, 2014 at 6:35 PM
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Well the first two secret rooms are classic sequence breaks that were possible in every version of JN, so they're not that secret any more.
For the first one, try to go to labyrinth from the first cave. It involves bouncing off some enemies. For the second, try to get to the aqueducts before you go to the pipeworks. This one involves abusing the way momentum is handled by CS.

Jul 13, 2014 at 9:55 PM
Update 1.5.4.0

- Fixed the small batch of Fluff's bugs and the typo

Maybe this is the last update? Maybe?

Jul 13, 2014 at 10:00 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
ZarroTsu said:
Update 1.5.4.0

- Fixed the small batch of Fluff's bugs and the typo

Maybe this is the last update? Maybe?
Hopefully.

Dunc2403 said:
Well the first two secret rooms are classic sequence breaks that were possible in every version of JN, so they're not that secret any more.
For the first one, try to go to labyrinth from the first cave. It involves bouncing off some enemies. For the second, try to get to the aqueducts before you go to the pipeworks. This one involves abusing the way momentum is handled by CS.
Thanks! Honestly, given how I got the Heart Tank in the First Cave, it should have been obvious. What are the other 3?

Oh, and btw, couldn't have completed the Devil's Garden without your livestream, so thanks.