Curly Brace's Story *FIRST DEMO*

Oct 22, 2009 at 3:48 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
pfft
Now I feel dumb... ^^'
I never noticed the scroll bar there.
*pokes sig*

Well, I haven't used ORG maker much so...

Oct 28, 2009 at 4:50 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Fire1052 said:
I remember playing the mod a good while ago, and I don't remember any problem with any of the maps. I think the only real issue was the having-three-health-the-whole-damn-time.

My good person, are you aware of the life capsules? I'm at the Tunnel (the intermediary between the Ancient Cave and Mimiga Village (or at least I presume Mimiga Village is at the end)) and I've already found two. One was in a tricky bit with a few Basils in the Tunnel, and the other was in Curly's house. You just have to look.

edit: This is a great mod, I'm loving the backstory behind Cave Story and all the cool detail. I have now gotten to what seems to be the end and I hope that at some point this mod is returned to as I want more.

I'm at Mimiga Village, and it's abandoned and all the doors are locked except Town Hall, and that doesn't lead anywhere. Is this the end of the beta so far, or am I missing something?

Oct 28, 2009 at 2:17 PM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
I remember getting life capsules, it's just that there weren't enough life capsules.

Oct 28, 2009 at 7:38 PM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Keep on rollin'!"
Re: I feel dumb

Has it been explained how to work the .rar file?

Or could someone put up a for real download?

Oct 28, 2009 at 7:41 PM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
Oct 28, 2009 at 7:47 PM
Banned
Re: I feel dumb

Well it wasn't HARD, per se, it's just that I found myself dieing over the dumbest things. Like those friggin' assassins.

Oct 29, 2009 at 6:22 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I found the assassins challenging.

About this mod... As you can see, this is my very first post in this forum, and guess what?
I made this account just to comment on this epic mod.

Even though Cave Story is mostly a shooting game (don't take me wrong, the story IS epic), this mod was more like (sometimes annoying) platforming, or whatever you call it where you jump around avoiding (sometimes annoying) obstacles, run around etc.
And still, you managed to cram in shooting action. Plus, I really liked how almost every place was different... Well, it's fairly obvious that - at least usually - some places are changed a lot in ten years...

I managed to find some things that were wrong according to the original Cave Story... Even though I'm not sure if I remember correctly.

Like when you visit the Sunken Ruins and after that place Jenka says that it once was a great empire, which was ruined by Ballos' rampage, thanks to the king being jealous and a meanie. If I remember correctly, the empire itself was in surface, but Ballos was sealed in the heart of the floating island.

Also, don't worry about me mentioning that some obstacles and enemies were in such places that they managed to annoy me a lot, it just means that you succeeded if you were attempting to make the game at least somehow hard... Because I tend to be annoyed by hard things. (No pun intended)

After I beat the game, I was again annoyed that it had to end there... I really wanted to continue, and discover new stuff... But damn, I just COULDN'T get past that END OF YEAR 3 textbox ;_;

I hope there will be more of this soon! I'm really looking forward to it.

I managed to get two Life Capsules. Found three, but didn't get the third once from the Egg Corridor like cave, because it was too hard for me to reach.

Oct 30, 2009 at 2:32 AM
A .rar file is a lot like a .zip file. You can extract it with a program such as 7zip.

7zip is a freeware program, so you can get it for yourself if you want. It's pretty handy.

Oct 30, 2009 at 8:31 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Errrrgh, I cannot figure out Mimiga Village for the life of me.

According to what you guys are saying, Mimiga Village isn't the end of the mod, but every single door but Assembly Hall is locked, and Assembly Hall don't do squat.

I don't want a hint, I guess, but is this really what the mod is supposed to do or do I have an outdated version or have I forgotten to pick something up at Sand Zone or something?

Oct 30, 2009 at 8:05 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Tronlet said:
Errrrgh, I cannot figure out Mimiga Village for the life of me.

According to what you guys are saying, Mimiga Village isn't the end of the mod, but every single door but Assembly Hall is locked, and Assembly Hall don't do squat.

I don't want a hint, I guess, but is this really what the mod is supposed to do or do I have an outdated version or have I forgotten to pick something up at Sand Zone or something?
Well, at least I can't see if you have an outdated version, but to go forward from the Sand Zone, you don't need to have anything.
It also took me a while to figure it out...
A hint:

And yet, it was right in front of my eyes! Pretty much impossible to happen in real life.

Oct 31, 2009 at 1:16 AM
There is a newer version. It should be attached to this thread.
The assembly hall /does/ do squat, though, even in the old one.

Oct 31, 2009 at 3:13 PM
Been here way too long...
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Tonakai said:
I found the assassins challenging.

About this mod... As you can see, this is my very first post in this forum, and guess what?
I made this account just to comment on this epic mod.

Even though Cave Story is mostly a shooting game (don't take me wrong, the story IS epic), this mod was more like (sometimes annoying) platforming, or whatever you call it where you jump around avoiding (sometimes annoying) obstacles, run around etc.
And still, you managed to cram in shooting action. Plus, I really liked how almost every place was different... Well, it's fairly obvious that - at least usually - some places are changed a lot in ten years...

I managed to find some things that were wrong according to the original Cave Story... Even though I'm not sure if I remember correctly.

Like when you visit the Sunken Ruins and after that place Jenka says that it once was a great empire, which was ruined by Ballos' rampage, thanks to the king being jealous and a meanie. If I remember correctly, the empire itself was in surface, but Ballos was sealed in the heart of the floating island.

Also, don't worry about me mentioning that some obstacles and enemies were in such places that they managed to annoy me a lot, it just means that you succeeded if you were attempting to make the game at least somehow hard... Because I tend to be annoyed by hard things. (No pun intended)

After I beat the game, I was again annoyed that it had to end there... I really wanted to continue, and discover new stuff... But damn, I just COULDN'T get past that END OF YEAR 3 textbox ;_;

I hope there will be more of this soon! I'm really looking forward to it.

I managed to get two Life Capsules. Found three, but didn't get the third once from the Egg Corridor like cave, because it was too hard for me to reach.

You're probably right, the 'Empire' was on the surface but I figured I'd add in my own bit of story and say that the floating island was originally a chunk of earth Jenka ripped from the surface world to imprison Balos.

@Tronlet: Like brian said search the Assembly Hall more thoroughly.

The mod isn't dead people but I haven't worked on it for a while, the next demo will probably take a long while so don't hold your breath.

Oct 31, 2009 at 3:22 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
zOMG Kaeso, you alive!! :p

Anyway yeah, I look forward to the next release for this mod!

Oct 31, 2009 at 3:37 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Glad to see you're back kaeso.

Although you can't blame people for thinking this mod was dead, since you and this thread (in terms of updates or progress reports) have been dead for awhile.

Next release better be more epic!

Oct 31, 2009 at 3:48 PM
Banned
I think I recall him saying that he wasn't going to abandon the mod, and that he'd written himself into a corner. He'd be back eventually, since he was going to finish this mod if it killed him.

Oct 31, 2009 at 3:52 PM
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Heh yeah I guess I should participate in the forums a bit more.

Anyway I'm making the mandatory water level at the moment I'm trying to give it a high difficulty factor. I hate water levels as much as the next guy so it's a bit of a pain to work on.

Oct 31, 2009 at 4:45 PM
woo!
although I don't particularly dislike water levels at all, so I don't be knowing what you're talking about.

Oct 31, 2009 at 8:22 PM
You might want to leave the difficulty factor where it is, since it's already pretty though. I know that there are a couple of life capsules, but you might want to add a few more, especially at the beginning. Better yet, you should probably set the start health to at least 6.

Oct 31, 2009 at 8:30 PM
oh, I dunno, the beginning wasn't that hard, and 5 is a much nicer number for starting health then 6.
but it's all up to you kaeso.
at least, that's what I think...
O.o

Oct 31, 2009 at 8:46 PM
Banned
Take into account the different dangers in an area. Like if you wanted spikes to kill you, and they did five damage, you might want to go with less than five. In that scenario, if you wanted to be able to actually take some hits, you'd want at least two types of enemies in that map; one hitting for two, and one hitting for three. This would allow you to take 2-3 hits from enemies, and be instantly killed by spikes. A life capsule would have to be included with an amount that would balance the next area out to something about exactly that: no more than three-hit kills.

THREE HITS IS FAIR, RIGHT?