Cave Story ~ The Lost Mage and Pirate

Oct 15, 2009 at 8:46 PM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
lol, that's kinda ironic.
and anyways, the version you're playing over and over again is the third release.
and if you're tired of playing it, you don't have to play it again and again.

Oct 15, 2009 at 9:04 PM
Hoxtilicious
Ralren, and you others watch your freaking language. Or you get a ban, I swear.

Now you Ryuuoutan. You should watch your language too. You have to respect Void's decision. Since it's his mod not yours. And you should learn to read the posts of other members. If you don't stop spamming, flaming and your childish behavior, you will get banned and this time it will be a long ban.

Oct 25, 2009 at 1:29 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
@Ryuuotan

nice job, anger problems guy.

Anyways, is there any progress on this recently?

Oct 25, 2009 at 1:38 AM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
Re: @Ryuuotan

@Giga
Well, currently most of Lowell's time is directed toward A SMW hack Lowell is making, which you can find here.

Although, I do hope Lowell has SOMETHING done for this, I'm getting rather bored waiting for a progress update...

Oct 25, 2009 at 1:45 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Oops, getting a bit lazy...

Yeah, I've been spending a lot of time on that SMW hack, which I've been working {And procrastinating} on since before joining these forums, and really wanted a demo for it as quick as possible.
So, there's been little progress on LMAP >.>;
But, rest assured, it's getting there.
Infact, I'm working on it right now. :p;
When there's a substantial update, expect a new and better banner, too.

Oct 31, 2009 at 2:58 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Bite-sized

More and more people are thinking progress is dead, so I've got a little screenshot that should show that work has not, and will not, cease :p
p66820-0-intro.jpg
{Anyone wanna take a wild guess where this is?}

Oct 31, 2009 at 3:25 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
The city of Agrabah?

Oct 31, 2009 at 5:04 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Er, what?

Noxid said:
The city of Agrabah?
...Err.....pretty wild guess...
Cyowolf1122 said:
Gonna take a wild guess and say forgotten tower. It has that old, medieval look to it.
Yeap.
Specifically, floor 14, the 'experimental room'.
Hence all the black markings on the wall, along with the random chests, the tables and study, and such.
Probably could guess what's going on, too. :p

Mar 18, 2010 at 9:59 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Just found cave story 2 days ago then beat just found this played love want more (also if you want some one to test it out pm me I should get an email from that... I think) keep up the great work XD
edit: also you were right about the dieing it hurt because of how far apart the saves are :( o well

Mar 22, 2010 at 8:25 PM
inactive user
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Kewl

Finished!
I actually finished last week but i was too busy working on my CS: Ultimate Challenges mod to post.
Srry....:p;
Anyway, it was great, but I'd like to see more original bosses.
GSp is clearly Curly w/o the mimigas,
and Balrog... Uh, yeah.
I noticed you did change the second balrog so instead of flying he jumps
and doesnt release bouncy things.
Uh... The hat was epic.
Quiz show: Completely random. And thats how we like it.
Why does Lowell lose the hat?!?!
It should appear later. Like, as an item. Y'know how you carry Jenkas dogs? Maybe modify the dog sprite so it's a hat.

Mar 22, 2010 at 9:53 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
I'm so busy...

justineo14 said:
Just found cave story 2 days ago then beat just found this played love want more (also if you want some one to test it out pm me I should get an email from that... I think) keep up the great work XD
edit: also you were right about the dieing it hurt because of how far apart the saves are :( o well
Thanks, and I'm not sure that I'll need any testers, but if I do I'll let you know :D;
And whenever I finish the second part {I've got some work done...}, I'll've remade all of the first too, so among other things, it should be a little kinder on saves...
sixtyseconds said:
Anyway, it was great, but I'd like to see more original bosses.
GSp is clearly Curly w/o the mimigas,
and Balrog... Uh, yeah.
I noticed you did change the second balrog so instead of flying he jumps
and doesnt release bouncy things.
That Balrog was actually just an unused entity, apparently scrapped to be used as the second part of the Grasstown Balrog fight. {Hurt him below half and he'll change to similar tactics}
I'm not too proud about reusing bosses, but it'll take a lot of Assembly work to create completely custom ones, and I haven't learned a whole lot yet... {The Assembly I needed to learn for SMW was surprisingly simple}
But that's not to say I won't try :p
sixtyseconds said:
Uh... The hat was epic.
Quiz show: Completely random. And thats how we like it.
Why does Lowell lose the hat?!?!
It should appear later. Like, as an item. Y'know how you carry Jenkas dogs? Maybe modify the dog sprite so it's a hat.
Things like the Quiz show will be at the end of every chapter, little minigames to earn something extra. This first one was pretty simple and easy, and that simple one bit of health will make a difference in the next part.
And that hat was actually just the bucket sprite stuck up in the air, :D
Though, with what Assembly I've already learned, I could extend the sprite rects to allow room for the hat....
Maybe you should keep your eyes peeled.... o.o;

Work's still slow. Spring Break didn't last as long as I had hoped, and I've got a ton of more schoolwork to do...
I've even got to write and perform in a play, >.>;

Mar 23, 2010 at 7:40 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Re: I'm so busy...

Sorry about the bump, but your mod's cutscenes are waaay too long.

I mean seriously, what's up with those unnecessary pauses and dots? What the hell?

Mar 23, 2010 at 9:30 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
*Cough*

WoodenRat said:
Sorry about the bump,
What bump?
The post before you was only a day ago :(
WoodenRat said:
but your mod's cutscenes are waaay too long.

I mean seriously, what's up with those unnecessary pauses and dots? What the hell?
Those are to help convey how those conversations would go in real speech, with pauses and draw outs and such.
It's to make the text not appear so 2D, and give it some depth.

Mar 24, 2010 at 6:11 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I don't know -- I made it up to Marx for the third time before the dialogue began to seriously annoy me. Between Super Kaizo World-esque enemy placement and the long dialogue scenes, I have doubts that I'll be able to get very far into this, which is a shame because I WANT to -- I'm just not willing to spend 20 minutes clicking through dialogue, only to get killed by the next inconveniently placed Critter and having to go through it all over again. And again. And again.

Mar 24, 2010 at 6:16 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Samael said:
I don't know -- I made it up to Marx for the third time before the dialogue began to seriously annoy me. Between Super Kaizo World-esque enemy placement and the long dialogue scenes, I have doubts that I'll be able to get very far into this, which is a shame because I WANT to -- I'm just not willing to spend 20 minutes clicking through dialogue, only to get killed by the next inconveniently placed Critter and having to go through it all over again. And again. And again.

This was something that bothered me a bunch once I played this, but it was okay after getting past the critter.

Also I don't know if Void is still updating/working on this mod anymore, to tell you the truth. I'm sure he'll post tomorrow and tell me I'm wrong (or right).

Mar 24, 2010 at 6:42 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Just turning the bed in Marx's house into an HP refill spot (you know, the way the beds in Cave Story work?) would make it a lot easier to bear with, since a few unlucky hits wouldn't necessarily mean repeating the entire bloody section from the beginning. Picking up my first weapon, only to venture outside and almost immediately die due to having 1 HP and rather irksomely placed monsters that I couldn't kill in the process of falling upon (because they were directly beneath platform holes) was, I admit, enough to make me exclaim "This hack sucks!" (But apparently not enough to stop playing it. Yet.)

I don't know if the drop rate was tweaked, but I kept exiting and entering the area and killing the bat by the door, and not once did it drop anything, so I had no choice but to progress with minimum facilities -- and die, all to go through that long cutscreen all over again (assuming I made it through the monsters to return to it in the first place).

GUESS-how-much-I ... LOVE-randomly-EMPHASIZED-words ..... with-STACCATO-delays-in-TEXT-SPEED-now?

Mar 24, 2010 at 2:33 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I like the dialogue, but having to read it once is plenty. I'm very much hoping Lowell adds some serious skipflags in the next release.

Mar 24, 2010 at 3:42 PM
inactive user
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Samael said:
GUESS-how-much-I ... LOVE-randomly-EMPHASIZED-words ..... with-STACCATO-delays-in-TEXT-SPEED-now?

JOIN-us-YOU...are-one-OF-the...MANY.
There need to be a Marx smiley.

Mar 24, 2010 at 9:41 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Spur of activity

Samael said:
I could've swore I put in skip flags for his dialogue, too...
And is the enemy placement really that hard...?
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Also I don't know if Void is still updating/working on this mod anymore, to tell you the truth. I'm sure he'll post tomorrow and tell me I'm wrong (or right).
Of course I'm still working it, I just said that a post or two ago >.>;
Samael said:
Just turning the bed in Marx's house into an HP refill spot (you know, the way the beds in Cave Story work?) would make it a lot easier to bear with, since a few unlucky hits wouldn't necessarily mean repeating the entire bloody section from the beginning. Picking up my first weapon, only to venture outside and almost immediately die due to having 1 HP and rather irksomely placed monsters that I couldn't kill in the process of falling upon (because they were directly beneath platform holes) was, I admit, enough to make me exclaim "This hack sucks!" (But apparently not enough to stop playing it. Yet.)
I never actually found it that hard, really...
If so many people are having this much trouble, I might just revise the first part and release that before, instead of with, the second part...

Samael said:
I don't know if the drop rate was tweaked, but I kept exiting and entering the area and killing the bat by the door, and not once did it drop anything, so I had no choice but to progress with minimum facilities -- and die, all to go through that long cutscreen all over again (assuming I made it through the monsters to return to it in the first place).
That bat has a permanently reduced droprate, it gives out nothingness each time :(;
{Not out of spite, it's due to the cutscene}
Everything else is pretty much the same.
Samael said:
That's because Marx 'has' an awkward time speaking. More will be revealed later.
His speech won't change a bit, but I'll probably add skipflags to every single cutscene, at this rate.

Wedge of Cheese said:
I like the dialogue, but having to read it once is plenty. I'm very much hoping Lowell adds some serious skipflags in the next release.
Duely noted. :D;