Cave Story ~ The Lost Mage and Pirate

Sep 3, 2009 at 2:35 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Hmm...

What? He doesn't look surprised to you?
Well, considering what you said about the original 1st new portrait....
I personally think some of you guys have weird imaginations, but I'll mess with that last one a bit I suppose...

Sep 3, 2009 at 2:55 AM
Been here way too long...
I personally think some of you guys have weird imaginations, but I'll mess with that last one a bit I suppose...
dude, don't ask for our opinion and tyhen hate on us for it. not cool.

What? He doesn't look surprised to you?

eh, it's fine for a surprised picture, but judging on the original, I though it was a more of a "oops my bad soz" deelio.

Sep 3, 2009 at 3:13 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Eh oh

Lace said:
dude, don't ask for our opinion and tyhen hate on us for it. not cool.
I never said I hated them, I still value your opinions.
I just said that you have funny viewpoints :D

Lace said:
eh, it's fine for a surprised picture, but judging on the original, I though it was a more of a "oops my bad soz" deelio.
Yeah, I kinda see that now... {After messing with it, too}

Both Ralren and me have a very hard time with eyes, so I'm not too sure what to do about the last picture's.
I just kinda slapped the old ones on, again, and changed the smile a bit, along with adding the shading back in on the forehead.

LowellFace66Eh.png

Top right's the original new, top left's got the few fixes, and the bottom's the old, of course.
I guess the new eyes took away the sarcasm that was commonly used with that portrait...

Sep 3, 2009 at 3:14 AM
Assistance
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Eh, as I said before, the eyes took me a long time to get them into near perfection. I have no problem with the last potrait, but I can see how it doesn't merge well with the rest of the potraits, when lowell changed the eyes that I made back into his original ones.

If you were to see the non-lowell modified potrait that I modified myself, the last potrait would have been far more understandable. Just stating my knowledge.

Sep 3, 2009 at 3:17 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Heheh

Ralren said:
If you were to see the non-lowell modified potrait that I modified myself, the last potrait would have been far more understandable. Just stating my knowledge.
You mean these?
p66777-0-lowellsfaces20.jpg

OK got it.

Sep 3, 2009 at 3:22 AM
Assistance
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Yeah, lol.
It's completely fine if you changed the eyes though, but it could cause some side effects.
But I already see that you fixed that problem. It's highly up to you, and the community as well. You can always make your own potrait of Lowell, customly, or you can wait for me for awhile and I can see what I can do. I like helping people, it's kind of warming.

However, don't keep your hopes up, I have alot of things to do during this school year, and plus I got a mod that I enjoy working on. I'll think about making custom-made potraits for you.

Sep 3, 2009 at 3:35 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
*Shrug*

Ralren said:
You can always make your own potrait of Lowell, customly,
But, I did make the old ones myself...
O.o;
Ralren said:
However, don't keep your hopes up, I have alot of things to do during this school year, and plus I got a mod that I enjoy working on. I'll think about making custom-made potraits for you.
Don't worry about it, then.
I was surprised by these new ones, and it's not like I'm in dire need of help, right?
And I sympathize with the school stuff, >.>;
Besides, it's not as fun if someone else does all the work. :D

Sep 3, 2009 at 7:05 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
I have to say I like the old ones better D: Especially the first one, the new one makes him look like he's just seen a ghost. Keeping the old eyes seems to work pretty well.

Sep 3, 2009 at 10:51 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Comments!

DoubleThink said:
I have to say I like the old ones better D: Especially the first one, the new one makes him look like he's just seen a ghost. Keeping the old eyes seems to work pretty well.
Heheh, GIR kinda thought the same thing, but used a more....colourful....way to describe it...
I think the main reason the old eyes {And by extension, the old portraits themselves} seem to work better is because that's how you all first saw Lowell, and so the two've become a bit entwined...
But that's just what I think.
:p
As always, thanks for the comments. Even if I don't sound like it, I appreciate them :(

Oct 5, 2009 at 1:38 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Happy Birthday?

Well, with today being Khan's birthday, I though I'd celebrate here with an update :D
I haven't gotten much done on the mod, actually, considering all the school work and more I've been getting, but there is something worth showing.

For my Comm Arts class, I've had to write an original short story. Considering how much I hate writing, I thought of something to make it more interesting for me.
I based it off the mod :rolleyes:
It's pretty short, only leading up to the first Doctor cutscene, but a few people have said how they really liked it, and I thought I'd show it here, since I haven't been able to work on the mod itself lately.

Though, before you criticize me on my work, remember I don't really like writing and it's not my forte. :D;
So, here:
{It removes all formatting when I paste it, and I'm too lazy to put it all back, so meh}

Page 1
Drip....drop....
A black cave. Well, not black as in the colour, for the walls and floor have a blue-ish tint to them, but it’s a pretty dark cave. Out-croppings are about in the dozens, and a constant, annoying, endless supply of drips and drops fall from the ceiling, collecting at the bottom in two large pools of....water? Yeah, let’s go with that.
Drip....drip....drop....
Somewhere along the way, someone thought it’d be a good idea to pave a pathway through here. What’s left is in a sad state, with every single block covered in at least half a dozen cracks. There were three make-shift elevators, but now there’s only two. The remnants of the third one has buried itself a few feet into the cave floor. Strangely, one of the doorways resembles a lion’s head...
Drop...dri—
BWWASHH-WHOOOOOOOOOOOOO
A sudden burst of almost absolute zero cold air invades the luke warm cave, causing the explosion. A strange, dark hole appears in the air, swirling in on itself, but yet expanding at the same time. As it grows in size, three distinct colours dominate the swirl: purple, blue, and black. It’s rate of grow is alarming, but it stops as suddenly as it appeared, simply swirling in midair, with cracks of energy occasionally shooting out...
A lone figure drops out, cushioned only by one of the rock out-croppings below.
His {and it’s not hard to assume it’s a he} appearance is both startling and memorable. Fine, white hairs cover all visible skin, with most of it being covered by a strange and snug suit, seeming to be made air-tight. It heavily favors purple. Looking upon his face you can clearly see just how feline his characteristics are: pointy cat ears, yellow vertically-slatted eyes, even whiskers, short and thick though they be.
Obviously stunned from the long drop, he simply lays there for a moment. His training kicks in, though, and he quickly leaps to his feet to survey his new and odd surroundings. His memory is a bit foggy at first, again from the drop, and he doesn’t remember how he got here....But then it clicks.
“MAAAAAAAAGGGEEEEE!!!”
The pirate accent was unmistakable.
“If I ever get me hands on ‘im...” He ranted “I’ll..---“ Sadly, we’ll never find out what he was going to do, because...
BWWASHH-WHOOOOOOOOOOOOO
The tear in the air starts wildly spinning again, and the cat-person smartly jumps out of the way, as another figure drops down from the hole and lands in the same spot as he.
This one is clearly different, sporting none of the feline characteristics as the other. Long, slightly unkempt blond hair hints at long hours spent in dark libraries, reading all sorts of books and scrolls. Piercing green eyes would peak out under extremely long eyebrows that shoot up and out, if they weren’t clamped shut from the fall. He seems to be in a jumble in a heap, but that’s mostly due to his dark cloak getting all tangled with the rest of him. As he sorts himself out and attempts to get up, his clothing becomes apparent; pockets, pouches, and straps line heavy clothing, and a strange, small time-piece holds fast right in the middle of his chest. If someone hadn’t known his profession, they would’ve guessed he came from somewhere very cold. He isn’t aware of the other person, having fallen and gotten up with his back to him the entire time, but as he pats some dirt out of the cloak with his gloved hands, his pointed ears pick up a sound.
“Ahem!” growled the pirate cat. The second one jumps around at this sound, and a look of embarrassment crosses his sharp-ish features. “Ohh...Uh...Hello Khan...?”, he stutters. “Hello?!”, yells the offended pirate, “That’s all ye’ve got to say fer yerself?!” The blond-haired one takes an unconscious step back, slight confusion mixing with the embarrassment. “Well....what do you want me to say?” “Rrr...maybe somethin’ along the lines like where the hell we are?”
The mage takes a quick look around his surroundings, apparently just now realizing they’re new. Nothing seems disturbed by the intruder’s presence, and the dark hole still hangs in the air, albeit more quietly now. “Hmmm....I don’t recognize it.” The feline almost loses his footing at this statement. “Whaddya mean? We went through yer Void thing! How could ye not know where ye sent us?” The mage shrugs. “Because I didn’t send us here.” The pirate, not following any of this, asks “Explain, then.”
“When I opened that first tear, I did have our destination planned, but before I got the chance to open a second tear there, the first one suddenly swallowed us.” He pauses as he thinks. “I felt...something latch onto the first tear, directing it and feeding it power, which is why it grew so suddenly.”
Page 2
The cat thinks at this, but still doesn’t quiet catch it. “Well, if ye didn’t open us an exit, where are we? This doesn’t look like what ye described as the ‘Void’....” The mage, who typically has an air of easy-going around him, grows serious as he goes on. “That’s because it’s not. I’m assuming the exit ‘tuned’ itself to whatever latched onto the first tear...” The pirate expects him to go on, but realizes he’s stopped. “Well, as fun as this trip was, why don’t we head on back?” The mage gives him a look of unbelief. “I can’t just do that spell again! Being so close to whatever messed with the first try, the second would only result in the same, or most likely be ten times worse!!”
The feline’s at a bit of a loss. “So, uh, whadda we do?” The other turns his back on his friend, staring off a bit before replying. “Well, seeing as how I can’t use my magic, why don’t we do things your way?” “Hahah, ye mean shoot anything that moves?” “Assuming we can find and stop whatever’s causing this interference, I should be able to get us back safely.”
The mage starts to take a step, when his friend yells “Wait, ye can use yer magic, right? Well, whaddya gonna fight with?” At this, he stumbles and falls onto the ground. “Oh, jeeze you’re right...” He gets up, thinking while turning to face the pirate. “Heheh...I guess you just get to do all the fighting.” “Ha—wait, wha--!?” “Well, enough chit chat, let’s go!” The mage leaps off the out-cropping, and the tear above that had just barely held itself finally collapses, sending out a flash of light. He didn’t see the puddle below.
SPLASH
“Ha...Ya be needing some help?” He quickly scrambles for dry land, sputtering and coughing along the way. “Bah, I don’t need your help!” He was upset about the cloak. It wasn’t waterproof. “Alrighty then,” replies the pirate, “Ye seem eager to explore, so I’ll be staying here and checking to see if any of me guns made it through your tear.” The mage, trying to hold onto what’s left of his pride, doesn’t attempt to argue. He shrugs off towards the makeshift elevators, making his way up to the lion’s head doorway, figuring going up would mean getting out of this place. As he makes it to the ledge, though, he can see there will be no getting through here. A solid grating covers the lion’s mouth, which is the doorway. He raps on it three times, “Well, looks like there’s no getting through here.”, he jokes.
He hops down, making his way towards the only other exit, when the pirate calls out “Don’t ye be getting yerself in trouble, Lowell! There’s no telling what lives in these caves.” At this, Lowell rolls his eyes. “Heheh, aren’t afraid of a few bats, are we Khan?” At this, he goes through the dark doorway and onto paths unknown. Well, it was dark, and he didn’t know what was out there....
Walking out of the doorway, the mage sees he’s come into a long branching in the cave, with a past that twists, turns, and even goes up and down. Not known for his physical abilities, he grimaces at the thought of having to make his way through this path. “No way I’m going back to Khan empty handed..”, he stubbornly mumbles. So he jumps off the first ledge to turn around and make his way on down, when he suddenly collides with a strange blob. “W-what?!” It makes a *squeak* and bounces away from him. Lowell stumbles from the impact, landing on his rear against the wall. He looks up in time to see whatever it was, some sort of ‘critter’, it’s body more or less a round blob the same colour as the cave, with two round little ears on top, and two black eyes with a tiny rabbit-ish nose stand out on it’s otherwise bland body. The mage stares at it. It stares back.
Lowell slowly makes an effort to get up, when the critter *squeaks* again and leaps. Lowell quickly rolls under it, and the critter slams into the wall where he was at a moment ago. The mage quickly gets up and runs for it. He drops off another ledge, having to turn around again to continue on, landing in another unseen puddle at the same time. He climbs up the side, confident that the blob won’t follow him. After wringing his cloak out, he turns around and marches onward. After a few twists and turns, he comes to a fork in the pathway. Again, favoring up, he chooses the high road, only to be met by strange blocks, allowing no way around them. He inspects them. “Seems rather weak...”, he says to himself. The mage gives them a kick. “Eh, sure Khan has something up his sleeve for these...”, and so he back tracks, taking the alternate path this time. The way up resembles the way down from the door, complete with something waiting for the mage as he makes his way up the first ledge.
As the mage pulls himself up, wearily making his way onward {again, he’s not very physically active}, a large blue bat suddenly swoops down. Simply out of surprise, Lowell falls backwards, awkwardly dodging the bat’s unusually large fangs. It wasn’t expecting a miss, and kept it’s acceleration up, flying right over the fallen mage. It opened it’s eyes to inspect why it hadn’t made contact with it’s prey just in time to see the wall, before it crashed into it. It’s sharp teeth, the main tool it used to hunt prey with, now work against it, both being firmly lodged in the wall. No amount of jerking or flapping loosens the grip of stone.
Page 3
Lowell manages to get up on the second try, and turns at the sound of frantic flapping. “Heh, sorry buddy, but you’re on your own.”, he taunted. He moves onward, but before climbing another ledge, he quietly peaks over the edge to prevent any more surprises.
“What the...?” The path ends here, and a strange dwelling rests against one of the walls. It’s very blocky, whatever material making it up being very solid, with reinforcing bolts along corners, and the colour matching the rest of the dark-ish blue cave theme. A sign stands near the only door. Seeing nothing ready to leap out at him, the mage climbs up and walks over to inspect the odd sign.
“Hmm, a sign in the middle of this cave? Who’d be living out here....” He reads it.
"-a-x's -ou-e!-
K-ep -ut-!!"
The writing is almost worn beyond legibility, but it didn’t start very readable to begin with. Shrugging, Lowell goes ahead and opens the door, stepping inside. What he finds inside is surprising.
It’s a decent dwelling; the floor and ceiling have a rugged, brown appearance, while the walls are pale white with criss-crossing beams of some green metal, sometimes seemingly hap-hazardly crossing at random places. A fireplace made of the same strange green metal is placed roughly in the middle of the room, and a fire burns. A very spare bed is located on a ledge above the door, and the stairs leading up to it are high enough above the ground to unhinder movement below, but requiring a person to be able to leap to high heights to reach it. Above the fireplace hangs a similar ledge as the one with the bed, but this one instead holds bookcases full of...books. Directly across from the doorway on the other side of the room is a strange chest.
Lowell simply wanders across the room, looking around at everything there, when his eyes lock onto the weird little chest...
An “Oouu...” escapes his lips. He quickly looks around. He starts to say “Well, no one’s here...”, but he’s already taken the first steps toward the chest.
“HeeeeeEEEEYYYYY!!!!!”
The door Lowell closed on his way in bursts open, and a strange, yellow rabbit storms in, fuming. The strange combination of green shirt and glasses, along with a strange brown hat that kept the thing’s ears down, confused and frightened the poor mage. The rabbit-being continued on. “That’s MY chest! Get AWAY!!”
Lowell, completely at a loss for words, stumbles out “W-whoa! I, I didn’t know this was your’s...” It didn’t relent. “The name’s MARX! And you were STILL going to TAKE that! That makes YOU a petty THIEF!!” The strange thing has an awkward accent, randomly yelling out certain words, pausing a bit after saying them.
The strange yellow rabbit begins to advance on the confused mage, but Lowell almost franticly yells “STOP!” Marx pauses, giving the mage time to explain himself. “I’m lost! I was just looking around.... This place looked empty, and I thought the chest up for grabs!” After a moment of consideration, he adds. “I am just really lost...”
At this, the rabbit cocks his head to the side, bringing a hand to cover his mouth and chin as he thinks. “Hmmm....” Strangely, he doesn’t take long to arrive at his reply. “Alright. I believe YOU.” Lowell should’ve noticed this, but his relief at not having this strange thing attacking him was all that was on his mind. “Err...really?”
Marx relaxes and nods. “YEAH. You look pretty HARMLESS....” The mage bristles at this comment, but realizes how true it rings at this moment. “Besides, I don’t OFTEN get VISITORS.” “You don’t say...” This slightly sarcastic remark allows Lowell to calm himself down. Marx continues, “Yeah. Besides, I KNOW how dangerous this ISLAND can be when YOU’ve got nothing to defend yourself WITH.”
Lowell becomes even more confused at the word ‘Island’. “Uhh, did you say ‘Island’? Marx looks at him, disbelievingly. “YEAH. We’re inside a FLOATING island. Didn’t you guys NOTICE that when you were FLYING here?” More confused then ever, the mage just plays along, missing the part where Marx says ‘guys’.... “Err, yeah. I guess I didn’t see that....or something.” Pushing his confusion aside, the mage asks “Anyways, could you tell me more about this...floating island, that we’re on?”
“WELL, technically we’re INSIDE it.”, the rabbit shrugs, “I don’t know MUCH about this Island, BUT it is home to US Mimigas.” That’s the name for his race, I take it, assumed the horribly confused mage. Marx continues on, “I TEND to stay near my LITTLE dwelling, but I OCCASIONALLY pick up bits and PIECES, news or OTHERWISE... You should GO visit that little OLD lady with the WEIRD powers. She’s big around LONGER than me, I’m sure she KNOWS all sorts of STUFF.” To himself, Lowell mumbles “But is it useful stuff...?”, to Marx, he says “Well, the only other way was blocked, so I just took this path.”
Page 4
A look of realization crosses the rabbit’s features, but it seems forced. “Oh RIGHT. The GRATING. I can fix THAT, no problem.” He walks towards the door, but pauses after opening it, seeming to remember something. “Oh, yeah. You should PROBABLY take that weird gun I FOUND earlier. I can’t GET it to WORK properly, but maybe YOU’LL have more luck. It’s IN the CHEST you tried to STEAL earlier. I’ll go on AHEAD and remove the GRATING.” And with that, he leaves, closing the door behind him.
The mage stands there for a moment, trying to figure out what just transpired. “Right.”, he says to himself, “That was a bit weird. But he didn’t attack me, he’s actually helping me, so I guess I should be thankful...” As he reviews the conversation, he remembers something. “Wait! Little old lady with weird powers? Maybe he means like magic! Maybe she can tell me what’s messing my spells up and help me get off this...uh...floating island...” Lowell then remembers how strange the whole conversation felt, and crosses his arms while tilting his head as he thinks.
“But...floating island? Talking rabbit-people? Getting help from a random strange? This stuff just doesn’t happen everyday.... I’ve got a weird feeling about this...” But he shrugs in defeat. “Though, it’s not like I’ve got much of a choice, might as well get that gun and see if I can’t get out of this place...” He casully strolls over to the chest.
As he reaches for the latch, a strange feeling overcomes him. “Heh, feels like Christmas...” he mutters. Throwing open the lid reveals a strange little purple weapon inside. It resembles a gun, but it has strange markings over it. The handle, a very dark shade of violet, has a clone handle above it, giving the gun a sideways ‘V’ end. The barrel is slightly large, with a pale purple top, while the rest of the gun is a quality shade of purple. The barrel ends in a large cone. Lowell notices an old language that he can read on the side of the gun. “Void Star? Sounds cheesy.”
As the mage hefts the gun, he sees no marks for loading any sort of projectiles or ammo into the weapon. Not even sure how to fire it, he simply points it towards the other end of the room. Fwoop. A strange, swirling purple ball shots out of the barrel, moving at a slightly slow pace, and poofs before reaching the doorway.
Never having used a gun before, and so having no real experience to compare this to, the mage merely shrugs, assuming it normal.
Content in being able to face whatever other weird things show themselves in these strange caves, Lowell sets off ouf of the dwelling and back into the twisity-turny path.
Already having dropped off the first ledge and heading for the second, he notices two strange parallel holes in the wall. It clicks in his mind just in time. Having leaned over to view the holes, the mage falls forward this time, right as the bat swoops over him, missing once again. But this time the bat veers off to the left before crashing into the wall, and comes back at Lowell. The mage gets up just in time to see the bat coming. “Looks like a good time to try this.”, and he pulls up the gun, aiming it at the oncoming blue blur. What happens is even more unexpected.
Once again a slow-ish purple ball shoots out of the gun. The bat, already too close to veer off, can only dive right into it. Right as the two make contact, there’s a small explosion and several clouds appear alongside a poof. The clouds quickly dissipate, and there’s no sign of the bat.
Being his first time using a gun, the mage comments “Heh, that worked pretty well.”
He climbs down the second ledge and travels back to the fork in the road. Remembering the blocks, he suddenly gets an ideal. Walking back down that dead-end path, he stops at the blocks and raises the Void Star. The first shot comes in contact with the block, and just like the bat, a small poof accompanied by some clouds are all that’s left of the blocking block. He fires a few more times, making a hole big enough for him to squeeze through.
“Another dead end behind the dead end?” A wall greets him. “Just sealed off this wall...?” The mage almost makes an insult towards the soul who constructed this random pile of blocks, when he notices something glitter and pulse behind some rubble. He walks over and moves aside some rocks, picking up a strange, heart-shaped gem. It glowed, no, it pulsed.
The average person would’ve just thrown the gem against the wall in frustration and headed back, unless they were a gem collector. Or mage. Lowell recognizes hidden power within this strange stone, and pockets it for keeping. His walk had a noticeable spring in it’s step as he continued back to Khan and Marx.
The gem seemed to have also distracted him a bit, as after he climbed the ledge going back up, minding the pool, he completely forgot about what was waiting for him. At least, only until he heard the *squeak*
SPLASH
The strange critter thing knocks him off the ledge, and the body of water below catches him.
Page 5
“The darned thing’s gonna get it now...” But as he gets up, he notices it gets a tad dark all of the sudden. Quickly leaping out of the pool, the spot he occupied is now a pillar of water, as the critter splashes into the pool. Forcing himself not to stop and dry his cloak, the mage takes aim and fires at the strange blob.
The thing only gets a questioning *squeak?* before the ball of dark, purple energy catches it and renders it as a poof and several clouds of smoke. Nodding to no one in particular, Lowell precedes to dry his cloak, and then climb up the two ledges and reach the doorway.
While it took quite awhile for Lowell to get here, Marx had the advantage of having lived around here for quite some time, and made it through with no incidents, and in very little time. While the mage was just exiting the door, Marx was already at the grate. And Khan.
The pirate, having given up his search for his beloved weapons, finding only one and without any ammo for it, was leaning against the wall on the first out-cropping that he found himself on, early. It was a good thing he was leaning on something, too, because he would’ve lost his balance in surprise when he saw the yellow rabbit come out of the doorway and climb up to the ledge above to remove the grating.
He managed to get enough of his breath back to talk by the time Marx was finished with the grate. “Who the hell ar’ ye?” Marx turns around, not showing any surprise. “My NAME’S Marx.” Then a pause, as the pirate expects the rabbit to go on. “...Er, well, what the hell ar’ ye doing?” Still standing there, Marx replies “I was REMOVING the grate for you AND your friend.” Actually a bit worried for letting the mage go off on his own, the pirate asks “Ye mean Lowell? Ye know where he is, then?” Marx nods, his ears, pushed downwards by the hat, faintly flapping in response. “I WENT on ahead of him to REMOVE the grate. He SHOULD be on his WAY, now.”
Khan, more suspecting and less trusting than his friend mage, eyes Marx warily. “So, ye’ve talked to him, then?” The rabbit nods. “Just a quick chat and ye’re already helpin’ us?” Again, he nods. “Tell me again why yer helpin’ us?”
Marx looks slightly disbelieving at him. “DOES a person NEED a reason to HELP another?” The pirate laughs at this. “Har, har! Lemme guess, ‘out of the goodness of yer heart’? Whaddya want.” The last two words coming out as more of a statement than question.
Something about Marx changes. The air around him becomes...different. He was walking on out the door, but stops to turn and face the pirate. “You and that other were stuck here for a reason. I’m here to make sure you do it.” Noticing the changes in the rabbit, Khan is a bit taken back. “Either yer on too much of somethin’, or ye need to start explaining.” Marx’s stare begins to bore into Khan. “The less you know, the better.” And with that he turns around and leaves. Recovering, Khan mutters “Weirdo...” to his retreating back. That’s when the mage shows up.
“Ah, I take it you’ve met Marx.” The pirate doesn’t respond. “Huh? Why the funny face?” Khan then realizes Lowell’s presence and shakes himself of his thoughts. “Hm, what? Oh, nothing. Let’s get out of here, now that...Marx, has removed the grate.”
With that, the two climb to the ledge with the lion’s head, and begin heading onto their unknown path...
“Man, you won’t believe what I ran into when I went off on my own.” Says Lowell. “Right after I got out the door, I ran into this huge, flaming, mush—“
Meanwhile, up near the top of the floating island, a white marble complex stands on the edge, near the top. It’s aptly named ‘The Balcony’. The Island floats very high up, and the view from here is breath-taking. Clouds race by, as the pale sun shines above.
Near the very top, there’s a room called “The King’s Table”. The white marble and amazing view give no hint to the evil going on here. This room’s side is exposed, offering more of the speeding clouds. But, there are several cages sitting on the floor or hanging off the ceiling. Roughly half are empty, but the rest contain strange, white rabbit-like creatures. They sit in their gloom, as the strange carvings, most featuring a prominate eye, do nothing to help their mood. It’s quiet.
“MISERY!!”
A voice calls. It’s not something you’d expect to hear up here. In fact, even with the extra volume, it’s still the calm, monotone voice you’d hear from a visit to the doctor.
“MISERY!!”
The voice belongs to the sole figure in the room. With a white lab coat, complete with pocket protector, and formal shoes, his voice seems to match well. His face is of a tan-ish colour, with a pair of square glasses that typically catch the light, becoming two white blocks where his eyes should be. His hands are almost always in his
Page 6
pockets. Whatever wirey green hair he has left is hidden underneath a strange, rectangular crown that features a large, prominent red eye in the middle. A smirk dominates his face.
His yell is calling someone.
“MISER—“
“You called, my Lord?”
With a Fwooommm a small figure appears out of the air, landing in front of the Doctor. Her skin is a very pale white, and she wears a green dress/robe. It matches her green hair. She carries with her a staff almost taller than her. The man speaks.
“Yes. I require an update on the status of your mission.” The girl, Misery, stumbles a bit with her words. “I’ve...I’ve searched everywhere, but I cannot find her.” The Doctor thinks a bit. “Hmm, have you searched the Mimiga Villiage? It is possible that she has hidden there, now that she appears as one, herself.” Misery realizes her error. “I...didn’t think of that...” The man replies confidently “And that is why you are my servant. Now, go collect her; there is so much to do, and so little time...”
Misery knells, but then rises.“At once, my Lord.....but, what would you have me do with the strange bursts of power that I’ve been sensing? They grow ever numerous.” The Doctor thinks again. “Hmm....investigate them, and if they threaten my plans in any way, deal with them appropriately....but! Capture her first, she must not be allowed to escape. And this time, Balrog shall accompany you.
At the sound of this, Misery quickly loses her anger. “But..!!” The man interrupts her. “I do not want any futher failures, is that understood?” Again, Misery knells. “Yes, my Lord....”
The Doctor nods. “Good, now go!” He dismisses her with a wave of his hand. “And do not fail, again.” Misery rises and bows. “At once, my Lord.” She then levitates up, and with another Fwooommm, disappears.
Alone with his private thoughts again, the Doctor begins to chuckle...”Hmhmhmhm...” which grows into a laugh “Hahahaha....”, and then breaks down into near hysteria.
“AH-HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!”
Here's the Word document for easier reading, too.
There's probably quite a few grammar/spelling errors in it, too. Word's not all great about that >.>;

Oct 5, 2009 at 2:41 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Well, I've only just started playing, but so far it's really looking good. I like all the sprite and tile changes you made, they look quite nice.

The main thing I really dislike is all the dialogue. I haven't read any previous posts but I'm sure others have mentioned this too. I think you should try to focus more on the gameplay, especially in the beginning, because I'm tired of constantly holding and pressing Z.

But yea, it's really looking good, but I haven't been able to get far because of the dialogue as well as lack of save points. The difficulty is mildly hard, but it's easy enough to focus on other aspects of the mod as well, not just the game play.

Good luck to you and any future updates or mods you make :rolleyes:

Oct 9, 2009 at 2:47 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
WHA???
Dude, I loved the dialog. The dialog was super awesome, and one of my favorite parts. It was really good, and had lots of plot. I wish I could skip over more of it, but I really don't care.

I also loved the gameplay. The pure awesomeness of the difficulty, was awesome. I loved how it was so hard to get from point A to point B, and get back, without a save. While I didn't like fighting Balrog, I certainly enjoyed laughing in his face when I beat him (XD). I really can't wait for more. Hope Part II goes well,

sasracer

Oct 9, 2009 at 2:59 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Doubled-edged

goldenclaw13 said:
Well, I've only just started playing, but so far it's really looking good. I like all the sprite and tile changes you made, they look quite nice.
Thanks.
I'm not very good at drawing, so I take pride in what spriting I can manage :rolleyes:
For the first part and second parts, and maybe even a bit after that, there won't be much in the way of brand new tilesets or enemies or such, because it's all suppose to be taking place in Cave Story.
But I'm planning on some surprises that should make things interesting :D
goldenclaw13 said:
The main thing I really dislike is all the dialogue. I haven't read any previous posts but I'm sure others have mentioned this too. I think you should try to focus more on the gameplay, especially in the beginning, because I'm tired of constantly holding and pressing Z.
Yeah, I might cut down a bit on that, just depends on how it all goes when I'm working on it.
It's apparently the strongest point of the mod, though, so there will be lots more reading, just to warn you :D;
goldenclaw13 said:
But yea, it's really looking good, but I haven't been able to get far because of the dialogue as well as lack of save points. The difficulty is mildly hard, but it's easy enough to focus on other aspects of the mod as well, not just the game play.
I guess I find the difficulty easy because I made it myself, but I'll probably be adding more save points in the next one.
Well, try to anyways :rolleyes:
Things should get actually more difficult and less annoying, though.

sasracer said:
WHA???
Dude, I loved the dialog. The dialog was super awesome, and one of my favorite parts. It was really good, and had lots of plot. I wish I could skip over more of it, but I really don't care.
Thanks, I've had tons of mixed responses over that, as you've seen.
I can't say for sure how it'll all go, but I'm pretty sure there will be lots more where that came from.
sasracer said:
I also loved the gameplay. The pure awesomeness of the difficulty, was awesome. I loved how it was so hard to get from point A to point B, and get back, without a save. While I didn't like fighting Balrog, I certainly enjoyed laughing in his face when I beat him (XD). I really can't wait for more. Hope Part II goes well,
Yeah, the Balrog fight is kinda a farce. Tried to make it more difficult with only one weapon, and it just turned out annoying.
Rest assured that won't be repeated :rolleyes:

Oct 9, 2009 at 4:05 AM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
VoidMage_Lowell said:
Yeah, I might cut down a bit on that, just depends on how it all goes when I'm working on it.
It's apparently the strongest point of the mod, though, so there will be lots more reading, just to warn you :D

Just so long as there's skip flags, I'll be happy.

VoidMage_Lowell said:
I guess I find the difficulty easy because I made it myself, but I'll probably be adding more save points in the next one.
Well, try to anyways
Things should get actually more difficult and less annoying, though.

Think of the players Lowell, and their capabilities. It's one of the easiest things to forget.

Oct 15, 2009 at 12:38 AM
essentially spirited away for an indefinite time.
"..."
Dude, how come theres only ONE demo released? Isnt there any other demos?!

Oct 15, 2009 at 12:46 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Don't rush it

Really, this is like the 3rd or 4th release, there were a lot of bug fixes and touch ups. {Unless you're counting playability, levels and the like}
But I've got a lot of other things I'm always doing, so I can't work on this that often.
So far, I've been working on my other hack, and just finally got it's demo out, but there's been a lot of other stuff I've had to do, and hacks aren't my only projects :D
Plus, unlike SLW {Which will probably be released in smaller updates}, LMAP will be released in bundles, full areas with fuller clips of story line, {Something SLW pretty much lacks} which makes the gap even larger.
Just be patient, I've been working on it, {I can't show you anything, though, because I hate spoilers} and you don't want a rushed job :D

Oct 15, 2009 at 1:25 AM
"..."
Where is the 3rd release/4th release, then?!

Oct 15, 2009 at 1:27 AM
Been here way too long...
THIS IS THE THiRD RELEASE

Oct 15, 2009 at 1:27 AM
"..."
Where is it then?!