Cave Story Officially RELEASED for WiiWare

Oct 10, 2009 at 6:35 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I'M POSTING HERE TO GET A REACTION, GUUUUUUUUYZ.
:p

ah well.
and I do not see any bushes in this 'bushlands' you speak of.

Oct 10, 2009 at 6:39 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
*Shrug*

Lace said:
I'M POSTING HERE TO GET A REACTION, GUUUUUUUUYZ.
:o
React.
Lace said:
ah well.
What can I say, translations are funny, especially between two vastly different languages like English and Japanese.
I believe the more literal translation spoke of something like grass blades, but Amaya decided on Bushlands. He's not too adept at our language, so he probably sees little to no difference.
The key to understanding it is looking at this from his point of view. That means looking at a language that's completely different from yours. You don't really care about the specific things like this, because you don't really understand the difference.
Try translating Cave Story back into Japanese and see if it matches the original :p
{Probably be more helpful if you ever took a foreign language class or something like that}

Oct 10, 2009 at 6:41 AM
O.O
so...
we're having someone who doesn't speak english translating his game into it?
WHY!?!?!?!?

also, it would be adept, not adapt.

Oct 10, 2009 at 6:43 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Jackalope said:
Ah... I must admit I didn't see that. I only heard. It was likely in a video, probably the Balfrog one.
Oh, there WILL be blood if Balrog says everything but "Huzzah"...!

Lace said:
eh, you posted at one.
Time zones, buddy.

One more time, I must say. Stop all the hatin'; just buy the game! The changes are merely cosmetic and aren't drastically different from the original. Who wouldn't want a more perfect/accurate version of our favorite Freeware game?

VoidMage_Lowell said:
I saw that 1UP called all the graphics a "small visual upgrade."
Small? I thought they were pretty kickass...
Isn't it crazy what double resolution can do? But I digress. The author's words do hold some water. Like I said in a MUCH earlier post, though the resolution will be doubled, the sprites should be comparable in size to what you see in the original. Seriously, unless you have a massive TV, I seriously doubt any of you guys would see "chubby Curly" without some sort of comparison like I provided!

Lace said:
"bush (definition 2) - a large uncleared or sparsely settled area (as in Australia) usually scrub-covered or forested" ~Merriam-Webster.com

This definition would make "Bushlands" kinda redundant, though.

...then again, I'd rather have a place called "Bushlands" than just "Bush", for more reasons than one...!

Oct 10, 2009 at 6:45 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Final ruling

Lace said:
O.O
so...
we're having someone who doesn't speak english translating his game into it?
WHY!?!?!?!?
Oh, Nicalis is of course helping the translations, but he's always going to Pixel for the final results.
We have someone who speaks English translating this for us, but we have someone who doesn't speak it give the final word on everything :p
Lace said:
also, it would be adept, not adapt.
Whoops.
*Goes back to fix it*

Oct 10, 2009 at 6:58 AM
The Bucket Fairy
"..."
dqle said:
This definition would make "Bushlands" kinda redundant, though.

...then again, I'd rather have a place called "Bushlands" than just "Bush", for more reasons than one...!

Better Bushlands than Weedlands right?

Oct 10, 2009 at 7:00 AM
no, not really.
and I just did a which star wars char are you test and apparently I'm chewbacca.
yeah...

Oct 10, 2009 at 7:03 AM
Mr. Fist said:
Better Bushlands than Weedlands right?
I thought it was Weedtown? (still better than Bush!)

Oct 10, 2009 at 7:30 AM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Keep on rollin'!"
Thu-humbs u-hup

What are you talking about? It's perfect!

Oct 10, 2009 at 3:41 PM
that's obviously a matter of opinion, or we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Oct 10, 2009 at 5:35 PM
The Town Bicycle *cough*
"Keep on rollin'!"
You know, I really have to ask...

Is it really worth it to spend your wii points on cave story when you can get it free on your computer?

I say no but if it was for DSiware I would definately get it.

Oct 10, 2009 at 6:53 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Oh man, just saw the preview and I don't know if I'm digging the new music (it definetly seems too loud and overpowers the SFX way too much right now).

And also anyone notice how the rest of the screen goes black when the inventory is opened? It's a weird bug, but I think I know what's causing it....
In the original CS there was a function that would take a snap shot of the screen and display it before displaying the inventory, and removing it would cause the background to go all black-like in the preview video. Maybe they haven't implemented that function yet.

And also did anyone notice the guy got the panties already? Check out the inventory screen if you get the chance.

Listening to it again, the music doesn't sound too bad, but it seems a bit skippy right now (like the song's skipping forward at parts and such). The SFX definetly need to be more audible then they are right now though, so I'd say SFX up and Music down, even if just a touch.

[EDIT]: Hey I saw there was a second video (egg corridor) and I can say with all honesty that that music has ear-bleeding potential. WTF. Not cool.

Oct 10, 2009 at 10:48 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Where did "Hurray" come from? The E3 spotlight of Mr. Rodriguez showed Balrog's first appearance in CS, and he still said "Huzzah!" on the video screen.

Aside from the ridiculous loudness, I actually thought the techno-piercing rhythm to the Corridor was a nice idea - it just lacks a percussive bass to strengthen the beat. So as it is currently, it's not exactly the best.

I can't help but suspect that that's the official music.
... They might as well keep the original! I sure hope Classic Mode retains it.

edit: is it just me, or is Basil now a moving still image? Maybe it's just animating really fast...

Oct 11, 2009 at 12:22 AM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Keep on rollin'!"
Wild guess

Perhaps the translation wasn't complete when that video was made.

Oct 11, 2009 at 12:29 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
60 fps

Keron said:
edit: is it just me, or is Basil now a moving still image? Maybe it's just animating really fast...
They did say that they upped the FPS from 50 to 60. That's a 20% increase in speed.
Many people have already commented on how different the physics feel, and how floaty Quote feels in the PC version compared to the Wii.
Looks like it'll be a challenge to re-beat it :)

Oct 11, 2009 at 1:40 AM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
VoidMage_Lowell said:
They did say that they upped the FPS from 50 to 60. That's a 20% increase in speed.
Many people have already commented on how different the physics feel, and how floaty Quote feels in the PC version compared to the Wii.
Looks like it'll be a challenge to re-beat it :)

Heh... Flote. (T-Jack.)

Oct 11, 2009 at 5:02 AM
Keron said:
is it just me, or is Basil now a moving still image? Maybe it's just animating really fast...
VoidMage_Lowell said:
Heh, the speed upgrade doesn't help in the slightest, that's for sure! Basil may look like a still image because of the foreground grating, but if you look carefully when Basil is exposed, you can see that it's still three frames of animation.

whyme said:
Is it really worth it to spend your wii points on cave story when you can get it free on your computer?
That really does depend on your intentions and/or interests. Some are graphics w***** while others would rather use a controller than a keyboard (though this is easily alleviated). Some may want to play Cave Story on a big screen. Many fans are willing to pay for the game knowing that they are supporting Pixel. This is one free game that many agree they would pay for!

There are other reasons, but do what you will. If you post in these parts of the forums, there's no denying that you're a fan of the indie game that started a growing trend.

Oct 11, 2009 at 7:30 PM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
Well, that was certainly awesome. Can't wait to get my hands on it. Still, I'm rather curious as to the "downloadable content" bit. I hope there's more to it than what he gave us.