Cave Story Officially RELEASED for WiiWare

May 6, 2009 at 3:57 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I wonder if you guys have seen this.
Three important points I picked up:
1. Misery's hair is BLUE. BLUE BLUE BLUE. Blue in the portrait, blue in the sprite.
2. The island is called "Mimiga Island", apparently.
3. The music no longer has "bleepy bloopy" awesomeness. If they improved it, I may forgive them. If not, I shall denounce Cave Story for the Wii.

Edit: There's moar videos. Turns out the Grasstown music actually is kind of awesome. But the Polar Star and the text scrolling make these horrible screeches.
Also, they planned to release it in December 2008. FAIL.

May 6, 2009 at 4:05 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
A little late, but...

dqle said:
You know you guys want these...!

Which of these Wii Remotes is your favorite?
I. Would. KILL for the top left, and bottom right {Hopefully the same one, just front and back}

May 8, 2009 at 2:07 AM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Captain Fabulous said:
I wonder if you guys have seen this.
It's old, and the fact that the interviewed person says Quote's name first and foremost is tedious and makes me cringe.
Also, they planned to release it in December 2008. FAIL.

It's been 5 months since December. We know this already. Your post, being May 5th, is even more fail than their claim for December 2008 back in ~October 2008. The game doesn't have a due date, they simply forecasted that by their rate of progress, they'd have it finished by then. Obviously something hiccuped or distracted them.

Anywho, New pixel-birthday fanart by an "akennedy"

diph.php

May 8, 2009 at 2:14 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
ZarroTsu said:
It's old, and the fact that the interviewed person says Quote's name first and foremost is tedious and makes me cringe.

It's been 5 months since December. We know this already. Your post, being May 5th, is even more fail than their claim for December 2008 back in ~October 2008. The game doesn't have a due date, they simply forecasted that by their rate of progress, they'd have it finished by then. Obviously something hiccuped or distracted them.

Anywho, New pixel-birthday fanart by an "akennedy"

{Removed picture due to it's freakin' huge size}

Ha, I was the first one to comment on that picture at the Blog. =p
Her artwork's interesting, but I still like the Anthem the best.
{I've listened to it every day for the past 2 months, straight =D}

May 10, 2009 at 8:02 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Kennedy is amazing, really.
Her sprite works are amazing...
I wish she had a role in the development of CS wii.

May 12, 2009 at 11:43 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Sand Zone!

Heyya! They have a video on the new Sand Zone now!!!
Be warned, though.
EXP Crystals kinda make your ears bleed...
SAND ZONE
Don't forget to comment to add your support for Pixel!!

Just don't whine about the release date, like all the other people there...
-.-"

May 13, 2009 at 5:10 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Well, looks like the game's "delayed" yet again.

According to NintendoLife, Cave Story's release date is now pushed back until sometime after E3 2009. (June 2-4)

May 13, 2009 at 5:13 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
-.-

dqle said:
Well, looks like the game's "delayed" yet again.

According to NintendoLife, Cave Story's release date is now pushed back until sometime after E3 2009. (June 2-4)
"Delayed"?
Do you know how long Cave Story took to make...? Pixel took his time making that, so it's an even better thing that they're taking their time with the Wii release....
We don't want it rushed and having it come out crappy...{As happens with the average game that's got a due date slapped on it..}
That, and I hope they do a bit more work on the new songs...
Originals still sound better...

May 13, 2009 at 5:40 AM
VoidMage_Lowell said:
"Delayed"?
Do you know how long Cave Story took to make...? Pixel took his time making that, so it's an even better thing that they're taking their time with the Wii release....
We don't want it rushed and having it come out crappy...{As happens with the average game that's got a due date slapped on it..}
Not to sound mean or anything, but this isn't the first time Nicalis has decided to change a projected release period. First was sometime during the holiday season, then there was February, then late April/early May, and now June. Keep pushing the date back, and fans get ticked, like one back on Nicalis's blog.

Now, I agree that they should not rush. Quality tends to be better the longer the game is in production. However, if you give a date, stick to it. And if you have to delay the game, at least give a good reason instead of silently pushing the date back.

Anyways, here's to hoping that they improve upon the music. It seems like in their latest video, they possibly the music at the last minute, since the music overpowers the rest of the sounds. And it's not very impressive. Like you, I'd like to see some improvements on it (I prefer either true chiptunes or a full orchestra, not a combination of both)

May 13, 2009 at 6:39 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
That's orgasmic...I would like to know the FPS of that game...it's certainly better than what mine is. <<;

The music I don't particularly mind as it still retains the great melody as before, but I do agree it can be done better. Final revisions, yes? Or maybe a Pixel seal of approval... :3

And I'm indifferent about when they'll release Cave Story on the WiiWare. I mean, the more time it gets delayed...the more opportunities I can find to obtain money in order to buy enough Wii Points for it. xD

May 13, 2009 at 7:05 AM
Slacker
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
The music...

ugh...

I really haven't liked any of the new music they're planning to add.

As long as they're still going to have the original Cave Story there though, I can deal with it.

May 13, 2009 at 1:04 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
The Loading Bar

Eh, release dates are more like the Loading Bar, which is a compulsive lier.
If you truly believe something's going to come out exactly on the date it's specified, then you must've woken from a coma or something...
I can't think of one single {good} game that hasn't had his release date pushed back, some even getting pushed back years. But when they were released, the wait was worth it...
And the fans who get ticked off by stuff like this are the same morons who made Starcraft II cost around 180 dollars {Instead of the normal 50} because they pestered Blizzard about the release date so much that it was decided to release the game in three parts instead of one...

That's probably why I hate people who whine about release dates...

May 13, 2009 at 1:32 PM
I think Blizzard was thinking of making Starcraft II a big game, considering the longevity of its predecessor. I wouldn't be surprised if each of the races ends up costing $50 or more, but they'd better be well worth it if people want to get them.

I don't mind delays, but constantly changing the expected release period gets monotonous. (in other words, give an accurate time frame the first time around!) At least I have the comfort of knowing that Cave Story is not heading in the direction of fabled Duke Nukem Forever.

...right?

Oh, and do give some examples. I can think of a few games that made the date and were pretty good. (my opinion's likely to differ from yours)

May 13, 2009 at 3:01 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
I like the version on Moonsong that plays on the official website, if that has anything to do with anything, and the quality isn't too bad. Then again, it would take a helluva lot of effort to screw up Moonsong. It and the Meltdown 2 mix in the video kind of have an airy feel to them though, that doesn't really fit in with Cave Story's atmosphere. I don't know what the problem with the exp crystals is, they sound fine to me, quieter if anything >_> It also looks like the game has been sped up slightly, maybe to make it NTSC speed.

May 13, 2009 at 9:30 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
*Shrugs*

dqle said:
I think Blizzard was thinking of making Starcraft II a big game, considering the longevity of its predecessor. I wouldn't be surprised if each of the races ends up costing $50 or more, but they'd better be well worth it if people want to get them.
Nah, they said it was because of "Constant fan pressure"
And I don't blame them, a lot of people are convinced it won't live up to the first one... {They're like full blogs and websites devoted to talking SCII down...}
They're releasing all of the races and everything with the first bit, but only the Terran campaign will be playable, the others will be in the expensive expansions....
dqle said:
I don't mind delays, but constantly changing the expected release period gets monotonous. (in other words, give an accurate time frame the first time around!) At least I have the comfort of knowing that Cave Story is not heading in the direction of fabled Duke Nukem Forever.

...right?

Oh, and do give some examples. I can think of a few games that made the date and were pretty good. (my opinion's likely to differ from yours)
Remember Halo 2 and it's plethora of glitches? That's because they stupidly gave out a release date and did their best to keep to it, leaving thousands of glitches behind... {My favorite being the Sniper/Sword trick ^.^;}
A Halo Myth-buster squad even formed from that..!
Fortunately, they did a lot better with the 3rd one...

May 22, 2009 at 12:06 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
LEAKS?!

LEAKS?!
I HATE leaks!!!!
Ruins surprises, >.>;

May 22, 2009 at 12:35 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
VoidMage_Lowell said:
LEAKS?!
I HATE leaks!!!!
Ruins surprises, >.>;

There aren't any surprises in it unless you want new music and graphics to be a surprise.

May 22, 2009 at 12:40 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Yeap

rust45 said:
There aren't any surprises in it unless you want new music and graphics to be a surprise.
But I do =D
I'd only complain about the unfinished songs, anyways.
Unless they've done better since Sand Zone :D
{I'm not saying it sucks, but I think the original was still a lot better...}