New profile posts

Update regarding the "corrupting mod type of thing:"

So, I am working on two projects at the moment here. I am working on a whole new mod (something that is NOT "CSBB") and another mod where it IS a "CSBB." Let's focus on the "CSBB" type of mod:

Each time I finish modding modding (like, the executable of the game for example), I always test the game to ensure everything works smoothly. Once it meets my satisfaction standards, I feel proud of myself and move onto whatever other task I have thereafter. At the end of the day, I power off my PC (or Virtual Machine, in this case) and do whatever else, like heading to bed. The next day I go to edit my mod (the executable, again) again, CaveEditor just crashes. Why? Because discovering by going into the game's directory, I notice that the game has absolutely no icon, and executing it will alert you that it has been corrupted (additionally, DoConfig still has an icon). It just seems like that every time I power off my machine and boot back into it, Windows just corrupts the entire game (not the files, just the executable). I am not sure why, but a majority (~20) of my mods, that are stored in the same folder (Documents), are still perfectly fine. I have absolutely no idea why this happens. It is extremely unlikely that using a Virtual Machine will cause it to corrupt it; my other mods are perfectly fine, and they would have been corrupted by now if that was the issue.
I have not tried another machine other than this machine, but I already have the same expectations. I use a Virtual Machine specifically because I choose to not install any games onto my new, main PC. I do, however, have another machine, such as a laptop, that can run Cave Story (and CS mods), but it does not have great performance and can cause applications to lag because of its old processor, and its storage drive (HDD instead of an SSD).

So, I am actually out of ideas. Running the game in Compatibility Mode will not do any good, because the game is already corrupted. I have made several backups stored, but those got corrupted as well.
Any help is appreciated, though.
EnlightenedOne
EnlightenedOne
Sounds like hard drive failure possibly. I'd do a check for that and back things up.
thinking about making a sequel to "BLISS" as my final mod of this year
i do have some concepts in mind for some gameplay
HaydenStudios
HaydenStudios
If this is your final mod "of the year," then would this be a short-term project, since the year is almost over?
autumn_mnya
autumn_mnya
Yeah, it would be.
The original Bliss actually took only 5 days to create, and since Bliss 2 would be based on the base I already have for Bliss 1 -- It'd take a reasonable amount of time for me to create :)
HaydenStudios
HaydenStudios
Ah, gotcha. That's cool, most of my projects these days don't have that quick of a turnaround.
You know, to me it is quite sad how people join and engage in these forums for at least three or four years, then they just leave inadvertently. Additionally, I always wonder what those type of people are doing now in these present times...
AlmaHexie
AlmaHexie
It is the fate of many members around here. After all it's very sappy to say "I am now leaving those forums forever, bye bye everybody :c"
HaydenStudios
HaydenStudios
Ah, I remember Kanpatchi. She was a nice, funny gal who was very easy to get along with. It's the people who don't say anything that officially go inactive. If people make an announcement and say "I am leaving those forums forever, bye bye everybody :c", then you can rest assured that they're coming back soon.
its
its
I agree, judging by the majority of many profile posts shown here and some postings in the Cave Story Discussion it seems that she was a very nice gal. Unfortunately enough that she did not make any posts about leaving or going inactive indefinitely. Hopefully she is doing well (and many of the other peeps who went inactive inadvertently).
Cave Story's Secret Santa has already won GOTY 2021
its
its
Haha, nice work NiCALiS and Pixel... Somehow they managed to do it.
You know, after Curly's Weird Crusade, I think I might just stop making things in general.
It's fun to create sure, but I don't think I'm too good at anything.
IdioticBaka1824
IdioticBaka1824
It's fine to stop making things if you're getting bored or too busy, but please don't do it because you think you're 'not too good at anything'! There're two issues with this. (1) You can't get better if you don't keep making stuff, and (2) That's just, like, your opinion! A lot of people (myself included) disagree and think you are, in fact, great at making stuff.
Sorry for the rant but thought I'd put in my two cents here.
its
its
I agree with you, @IdioticBaka1824. Just from creating, you are actually getting better; you will not notice a difference immediately, but it will surely surprise you later on.
(Could perhaps be a little off topic) but:
I remember that I used to create awful mods and surely did not put any effort in most of them (e.g., map creating), but that was how I was. Over the years, I have been getting better, and have been learning more just by exploring and learning new strategies. Besides, just because it took me a couple of years to improve on creating better maps, does not mean that it will take you a couple years for you to improve on something.
Anyhow, do not think that you are "not good at anything," surely you are great something, but that may not always be your opinion; it could be someone else's opinion. Nevertheless, if the feedback results in preeminence, then that is how you should feel about it.
Like @IdioticBaka1824 had said - I apologize for the rant, but I wanted to give you my advice on that.
… Progress made lately on CS mod project "Terminus": nothing, really. Got sidetracked by finding older (unrelated) projects I made files for and reading through most of them.

I do have ideas for another CS mod project ("Origin"), but I'm just gonna put that in a text file. (And then try to finish Origin Cave's maps. Ironically, Origin Cave isn't going to be in "Origin", haha.)
Cibryll
Cibryll
… And now my computer's mouse won't work properly (cursor won't move yet left- and right-clicking does) so now I can't do anything. -_-

So much for trying to make progress today.
I gotta ask, I've been working on a mod for cave story freeware (which I will be releasing an announcement with a demo), but can I ask how you edit the pictures used in the cast roll?
EnlightenedOne
EnlightenedOne
Download Resource Hacker. You can extract and replace the credits bitmaps inside the exe using that.
You might need an older version though, as I've heard that the new version of the program is missing functionality. Hit us up if you need help.
Plaindillo
Plaindillo
ok will
Edit: works just like it should!
I had already used resource hacker to change the music, and I dunno if the version I have is an older one or the new one. but it works \ ( ^ U ^ ) /
I'll be happy to announce the project in the near future.
(Also happy to hear the undertale project Hayden)!
Plaindillo
Plaindillo
uh oh, looks like I have trouble again.
I have two things boggling my mind about editing now.
1. I feel kinda stupid for not testing this before getting back to you, but I actually was only able to GET the bitmaps for the credits, not input edits.
(Got the older version of resource hacker, still didn't work)
2. A little more specific for this one, I'm having a problem with editing the last cave, I can't seem to change It's background.
I actually noticed it already had one, but it seems to not show up for some reason. (using CaveEditor)
Out of curiosity, is it helpful for me to use the "report" feature when I notice a spambot, or is it redundant and does it just give you surplus notifications to review when you log in?
DoubleThink
DoubleThink
I usually find them/get told about them pretty quickly but all the reports clear up when I remove them anyway so it's nbd
cave story mod where it's speedrun/challenge oriented, but everytime you press your shoot button, gravity flips and you can't flip gravity until you touch the ground again
(No weapons, spikes everywhere, the normal Kaitlyn mod design)
Has anybody come up with a good answer to why Quote says Curly is "still alive" instead of "still functional"? I've just recently thought of it, and its puzzling me.
AlmaHexie
AlmaHexie
The real question is how could Quote identify Curly as alive or even anything as alive.

My own answer is that it's because Quote and Curly were different robots, apart of the other soldiers. Sent for a certain mission, they probably would have more functions in their system and or the ability to think like a human.
RageRuner
RageRuner
Yea, the way I imagine the robots are...well...they're robots
They do what ordered
I mean technically Quote and Curly do too, but they seem to think more than the average "killer robots"
Eli
Eli
i wonder if it's something like why the water counter is 'air' despite the danger not being lack of oxygen but flooding - ease of player understanding/simplicity? also the chance that it's something lost in translation :V
Back