New profile posts

okay so just curious, what is everyones opinion on jenkas nightmare?
AlmaHexie
AlmaHexie
I played both versions, ZarroTsu and the revived version by Slither that is widely considered as "the best" ending of Jenka Nightmare

My main memory of the original version which was Jenka Nightmare Revived by Slither that was like, an ending to the original.
I don't remember half of it, I just know it happens after Quote got knocked out around the end of the game.
And it was like a stupid thing where after getting the booster 2.0, you went through rooms that had a similar level design, with spikes that grew larger in wideness as you went through doors, only to come at the end where you meet a Droll looking character that says he's one of those Omega or Alpha things I forgot, then you have a little boss fight, then Misery comes in and it's the end. I discovered later that this was not the good ending, it was like an alternate one but instead of going upward, I went somewhere else. It was a long way back to do the other ending so I ended it here.
1650658105430.png

I have the same opinion as ZarroTsu expressed in the boss rush room in his version, it was a bit underwhelming. The mod aged pretty poorly even if it was pretty advanced compared to some of it's time, it did get the soul of Cave Story and I believe it was fairly judged back then. Nowadays, it's pretty meh, a lot of quirk of the level design would be outrageous and or just suck. The story is good for a sequel, and it was pretty advanced and innovative. It's mainly it's legacy that is uphold, I wouldn't recommend it nowadays.

ZarroTsu fixed things, exaggerated others but, having played this version long looong ago, I can't really say much on it. I just remember having a good time.

(Edit:The beginning is slow af though and it doesn't pick up the pace until you hear about teleporters and destroy the two bosses, so a quarter of the game is slow and boring.)
HaydenStudios
HaydenStudios
I've always found it very interesting and a little bit frustrating that most users blend together JN and JNR as being the same mod. To clarify, there are 3 different versions of Jenka's Nightmare.

As explained in the bottom of that post, there was never officially any version of JN that came out that was called "Brotherhood". But to your question, Cibryll, I did indeed do some spritework for JNR. Dunc and I, along with a couple of other users, were a part of the crew that did some re-working for that mod in late 2012. Even after all that work, it was still pretty underwhelming, to be honest, but at least it wasn't quite as awful as the version that people were playing in late 2011. I did some playtesting and gave feedback, and also did the sprites for Genesis (not those facepics though) and Oblivion, I also did the grim reaper re-sprite, and a lot of cosmetic changes to the tilesets in the pre-existing rooms. A little bit ironic that Doors had me doing sprite work for him, considering that he would soon afterwards go on to become a far more skilled artist than myself.
Cibryll
Cibryll
^ Yeah, I vaguely remember there was a beta testing forum for JNBr since September '12… with "hover to show" spoilers.
sequel idea: quote accidentally falls off of the dragon in the bad ending but survives for the sake of plot convinience
Orbit
Orbit
He then has to defend humanity against the doctor's army of ravils.
X-Calibar
X-Calibar
amnesia strikes again, wakes up 10 years later; many living beings are now mutated by red rain from the dreaded floating island
existingaccount
existingaccount
i feel like a game with this premise would be incredibly hard and would invoke similar feelings to getting over it
i still like your game about curly brace
Kaeso
Kaeso
I saw a video someone made based on my mod and it got me to check back in. If you had any questions about the mod I'd be happy to answer while I'm still remembering to check in here, for a bit of closure I suppose.
Walrus_Guy
Walrus_Guy
did you ever have an ending you had in mind for past the robot factory area?
Kaeso
Kaeso
I did, I had planned for the war between robots and mimigas to intensify for 2 or 3 more chapters that led to them using red flowers and for it to eventually lead into the beginning of the real game. I also wanted to add a side epilogue to the ending showing the Korons escaping captivity and safely escaping the island, and perhaps even reuniting with Curly after they were captured by the doctors because I felt that was either unanswered, or that the most common theory on their fate (That they were the enraged mimiga enemies before the doctor boss fight) way too depressing.
Hey, I was using Plus Porter and saw the Auto-Port option. What does that do? Also, is there any way to port Rave Story to CS+?
HaydenStudios
HaydenStudios
The auto-port feature has you load up a copy of the original Cave Story, as well as a copy of the mod you wish to port, and it scans for all of the discrepancies between the original Cave Story and said mod. It looks for added or edited scripts, maps, tilesets, and I think spritesheets as well. I believe that it also scans for certain differences in the respective EXE files too, and it takes all of those differences, and forms a Plus Porter project based on all of those detected differences. I think there are some edge cases that my auto-port wizard doesn't quite catch, but in simple cases, it should do most of the porting for you.

As for Rave Story in particular, I think I only briefly loaded it up once. That has some custom levels, sprites, and maybe some new music too, right? As long as it doesn't have ASM hacks, you should be able to port it for the most part, but only the ORG music will work. Getting extra music to work for the "New" and "Remastered" soundtracks isn't as straightforward for CS+ mods as ORG music.
HaydenStudios
HaydenStudios
By the way, questions like this are perfectly appropriate for posting in my Plus Porter thread. The only rule against bumping threads is if you're responding to some specific post or point in the discussion that was made a long time ago or just blatantly bumping a thread without due acknowledgement. Bumps are fine as long as they give due acknowledgement to it being a bump and are on-topic to the opening post in the thread.
R
RedCoder09
Cool, thanks for the help!
I noticed some people tend to be open about their projects or feelings on the forums (I won't be for the second last)
So little fact, I got a blog where I documented Curly's Weird Crusade development, feel free to check it out and comment, your input is neat to have :D
I made a new blog post today regarding new content in the future, if you're curious about chapter 3, everything's here!
sup peeperonis, I'm just coming to say that Crapbug isn't a thing anymore. I know, I know. I'm working on other things, though, so keep your eyes open...I guess. I'm pretty active in the CSMC so you'll probably see more there if you're REALLY curious but hey, that's up to you, dood.

Be safe out there. The world is wild, be wilder.
I kept clicking the discord link instead of the forums link for like 10 minutes and kept laughing at myself nearly nonstop
Hina
Hina
sometimes it's funny to have brain damage
ColdCallerLoopy
ColdCallerLoopy
I can speak from experience, it isn't.
evergreen update, wrapping up development on the next update's maps - at the moment i think they're all mostly done in terms of layout, i just need to finish scripting stuff and dialogue
Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 9.50.37 am.pngScreen Shot 2022-04-11 at 9.50.53 am.pngScreen Shot 2022-04-11 at 11.47.24 pm.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 11.51.00 pm.png

will be a while longer till it's released, i have... a lot of small things to finish and polish lol, but it's getting there!
HaydenStudios
HaydenStudios
Sweet, looks like you're really putting a lot of work into this.
Can't wait for KH4, though all I'd be able to do is read about it.

That aside, I decided the Entrance of the Xenoa: Lunar Shadow version should use a different tileset, so I'm currently trying to think something up that'll be fitting for it. Maybe a tileset from a past mod I worked on, I dunno.
Hina
Hina
use marble
Back