Help with finding an earlier version of JNR...

Jan 18, 2016 at 6:21 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I need help with finding a version of JNR that isn't broken.
I mostly just want to see it for curiosity's sake.

Jan 18, 2016 at 6:45 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Define "broken".

Jan 18, 2016 at 9:15 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Erm, what is this 'JNR'?
Likely Jenka's Nightmare Revived, there's a chance I might be wrong though, but that's likely it.

Jan 18, 2016 at 10:20 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
The link in the mod's thread should work fine, and I don't remember there being any obvious game-breaking glitches.

Jan 20, 2016 at 11:17 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
The link in the mod's thread should work fine, and I don't remember there being any obvious game-breaking glitches.

The final boss doesn't appear, and isn't there a version with the sky-blade, uber-weapons, and the spur quest?

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2016 at 11:50 PM
Professional Whatever
It doesn't? That's really weird. and uhhhhh the version you're talking about is a really old version that was even shittier than the current version

Jan 21, 2016 at 12:04 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Please, I need the shitty-ness, I just sorta have a morbid curiosity.

Jan 21, 2016 at 1:01 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
Please, I need the shitty-ness, I just sorta have a morbid curiosity.
you don't need any of this. the final version is already out, I suggest you play that instead

Jan 21, 2016 at 2:41 AM
Professional Whatever
I suggest you don't play any of them in all honesty

Jan 21, 2016 at 6:21 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Why? Jenka's Nightmare is really good... I think it's the best "Cave Story 2" mod there is...
Doors didn't say that wwww shouldn't play Jenka's Nightmare, he was saying that wwww shouldn't play JNR.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2016 at 9:53 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
What's the difference?
I think I'm missing something important about JN's history, can someone gimme a summary?
JN = The original Jenka's Nightmare mod by Shmitz that never got finished.
JNR = Jenka's Nightmare Revived, not sure if Doors counts this as both his and ZarroTsu's version, but I guess he does.
Both JNR projects are simply put a finished version of the original to me.

Jan 21, 2016 at 10:25 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Wasn't there a "brotherhood" version?

Jan 21, 2016 at 10:43 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
JN = The original Jenka's Nightmare mod by Shmitz that never got finished.
JNR = Jenka's Nightmare Revived, not sure if Doors counts this as both his and ZarroTsu's version, but I guess he does.
Both JNR projects are simply put a finished version of the original to me.
Wrong. JNR (or Jenka's Nightmare Revived) ONLY refers to the Doors revival. This has been the case from day 1. JN refers to either the original or the ZarroTsu remake (which is also called Jenka's Nightmare, go figure).

Wasn't there a "brotherhood" version?
That was the subtitle for the later versions of JNR.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2016 at 7:53 PM
Based Member
It's sad that the different versions of Jenka's Nightmare have gotten so confusing that anyone who hasn't been around longer than 2-and-a-half years doesn't know who made what. None of the summaries above are quite to my liking, so let me give this a shot:

1. Cave Story: Jenka's Nightmare. The original Jenka's Nightmare by the man himself, Shmitz. It originally started in April of 2006, almost 10 years ago. Sadly, it was never finished, and the creator went inactive. I can't cite any sources on this, but some have said the mod was 80-90% complete. The mod received extremely positive reception, and quickly became one of the most acclaimed Cave Story mods.

2. Jenka's Nightmare Revived a.k.a. JNR. In January of 2011, Doors (at the time known as LunarSoul)(EDIT[years after originally making this post]: Now known as Slither) decided to take Shmitz's mod and offer up his own continuation. A large majority of the content from Shmitz's version was left as it was, with a few changes made here and there, and some new content added to give the mod an ending. The last release was in late 2012. The mod received generally positive reviews from users who joined after or during the mod's development, but was met with lukewarm to negative reviews by users who were familiar with the original. Last time I checked, Doors does not pride himself on this mod. Shmitz had no direct involvement with the continuation of this mod, as far as I am aware.

3. Zarrotsu's Jenka's Nightmare. Zarrotsu's version, originally started in January of 2013, and seeing its first demo release in February that year, is basically a remake of Jenka's Nightmare. It has a similar story and borrows many elements from JN, but has redesigned levels, dialogue, and cutscenes. The mod was eventually finished, and has received generally positive reviews. Most users praising it are from the newer crowd of users, but some older users have found enjoyment in it as well. As far as I am aware, neither Shmitz nor Doors had any direct involvement with this remake.

For those of you wondering about Jenka's Nightmare Brotherhood, that was a remake that Doors was planning on doing after JNR was done, but the idea got scrapped. If I recall correctly, Doors was tired of Jenka's Nightmare after JNR, so he just stopped there. He did, however, incorporate the word "brotherhood" into the frequently evolving title of JNR when he was working on getting the last few releases done. The most notable title being "Cave Story Chapter 2: Jenka's Nightmare Chapter 2 Brotherhood: Herb Village Brotherhood Revived" (CSC2:JNC2Br:HVBrR for short).

Last edited: