New profile posts

You know, to me it is quite sad how people join and engage in these forums for at least three or four years, then they just leave inadvertently. Additionally, I always wonder what those type of people are doing now in these present times...
AlmaHexie
AlmaHexie
It is the fate of many members around here. After all it's very sappy to say "I am now leaving those forums forever, bye bye everybody :c"
HaydenStudios
HaydenStudios
Ah, I remember Kanpatchi. She was a nice, funny gal who was very easy to get along with. It's the people who don't say anything that officially go inactive. If people make an announcement and say "I am leaving those forums forever, bye bye everybody :c", then you can rest assured that they're coming back soon.
its
its
I agree, judging by the majority of many profile posts shown here and some postings in the Cave Story Discussion it seems that she was a very nice gal. Unfortunately enough that she did not make any posts about leaving or going inactive indefinitely. Hopefully she is doing well (and many of the other peeps who went inactive inadvertently).
Cave Story's Secret Santa has already won GOTY 2021
its
its
Haha, nice work NiCALiS and Pixel... Somehow they managed to do it.
You know, after Curly's Weird Crusade, I think I might just stop making things in general.
It's fun to create sure, but I don't think I'm too good at anything.
IdioticBaka1824
IdioticBaka1824
It's fine to stop making things if you're getting bored or too busy, but please don't do it because you think you're 'not too good at anything'! There're two issues with this. (1) You can't get better if you don't keep making stuff, and (2) That's just, like, your opinion! A lot of people (myself included) disagree and think you are, in fact, great at making stuff.
Sorry for the rant but thought I'd put in my two cents here.
its
its
I agree with you, @IdioticBaka1824. Just from creating, you are actually getting better; you will not notice a difference immediately, but it will surely surprise you later on.
(Could perhaps be a little off topic) but:
I remember that I used to create awful mods and surely did not put any effort in most of them (e.g., map creating), but that was how I was. Over the years, I have been getting better, and have been learning more just by exploring and learning new strategies. Besides, just because it took me a couple of years to improve on creating better maps, does not mean that it will take you a couple years for you to improve on something.
Anyhow, do not think that you are "not good at anything," surely you are great something, but that may not always be your opinion; it could be someone else's opinion. Nevertheless, if the feedback results in preeminence, then that is how you should feel about it.
Like @IdioticBaka1824 had said - I apologize for the rant, but I wanted to give you my advice on that.
… Progress made lately on CS mod project "Terminus": nothing, really. Got sidetracked by finding older (unrelated) projects I made files for and reading through most of them.

I do have ideas for another CS mod project ("Origin"), but I'm just gonna put that in a text file. (And then try to finish Origin Cave's maps. Ironically, Origin Cave isn't going to be in "Origin", haha.)
Cibryll
Cibryll
… And now my computer's mouse won't work properly (cursor won't move yet left- and right-clicking does) so now I can't do anything. -_-

So much for trying to make progress today.
I gotta ask, I've been working on a mod for cave story freeware (which I will be releasing an announcement with a demo), but can I ask how you edit the pictures used in the cast roll?
EnlightenedOne
EnlightenedOne
Download Resource Hacker. You can extract and replace the credits bitmaps inside the exe using that.
You might need an older version though, as I've heard that the new version of the program is missing functionality. Hit us up if you need help.
Plaindillo
Plaindillo
ok will
Edit: works just like it should!
I had already used resource hacker to change the music, and I dunno if the version I have is an older one or the new one. but it works \ ( ^ U ^ ) /
I'll be happy to announce the project in the near future.
(Also happy to hear the undertale project Hayden)!
Plaindillo
Plaindillo
uh oh, looks like I have trouble again.
I have two things boggling my mind about editing now.
1. I feel kinda stupid for not testing this before getting back to you, but I actually was only able to GET the bitmaps for the credits, not input edits.
(Got the older version of resource hacker, still didn't work)
2. A little more specific for this one, I'm having a problem with editing the last cave, I can't seem to change It's background.
I actually noticed it already had one, but it seems to not show up for some reason. (using CaveEditor)
Out of curiosity, is it helpful for me to use the "report" feature when I notice a spambot, or is it redundant and does it just give you surplus notifications to review when you log in?
DoubleThink
DoubleThink
I usually find them/get told about them pretty quickly but all the reports clear up when I remove them anyway so it's nbd
cave story mod where it's speedrun/challenge oriented, but everytime you press your shoot button, gravity flips and you can't flip gravity until you touch the ground again
(No weapons, spikes everywhere, the normal Kaitlyn mod design)
Has anybody come up with a good answer to why Quote says Curly is "still alive" instead of "still functional"? I've just recently thought of it, and its puzzling me.
AlmaHexie
AlmaHexie
The real question is how could Quote identify Curly as alive or even anything as alive.

My own answer is that it's because Quote and Curly were different robots, apart of the other soldiers. Sent for a certain mission, they probably would have more functions in their system and or the ability to think like a human.
RageRuner
RageRuner
Yea, the way I imagine the robots are...well...they're robots
They do what ordered
I mean technically Quote and Curly do too, but they seem to think more than the average "killer robots"
Eli
Eli
i wonder if it's something like why the water counter is 'air' despite the danger not being lack of oxygen but flooding - ease of player understanding/simplicity? also the chance that it's something lost in translation :V
hhhrmmm how do people write story stuff for mods?? And characters I genuinely don't know how people do it
Cibryll
Cibryll
… I just make stuff up as I go along. It's not the best approach, though.
EnlightenedOne
EnlightenedOne
Like most anything, it's a skill you have to develop with practice really. You'll get better with writing a decent story after writing a dozen flawed ones.

I might be wrong and there is other methods but at least for me, everything starts with being struck with a very basic idea and it's up to me to actively "exercise the writing muscle" in trying to continually think about and flesh it out. Even if you don't have the time or willpower to actually do anything about these ideas, the simple matter of thinking about it and making it into a story in your head or outlined in a private document, only to realize the terrible flaws or predictable tropes a year later, is still practice that slowly improves oneself.

The other neat thing about games is that they have A LOT of components (arguably the most of any media). A lot of the time you can combine separate ideas that are swimming in your head—using what appears to be unrelated ideas as a backbone and fleshing out how they connect—or can plan those components in a different order. For example here's a timeline of 4 different game/mod ideas I'm currently sitting on (excuse me for being vague but I don't like oversharing ideas unless they're scrapped):
[1] Made up my own character based on interactions inspired by three "meta" videogames I had played years ago. Separately was inspired by seeing a video of a cheap bootleg videogame product and wanting to make my own. Realized I could combine this character idea and game idea and then later drafted a rough plotline using both.
[2] Wanted to make a turn-based RPG after playing a bunch years ago. I didn't actually have a story in mind initially (which is kind of the point of these games) but I knew how bored I became after the gameplay stagnated in them, so I only focused on how I would spice up the turn-based formula with different "classes" that function differently within the party (i.e. an engineer spawning AI party members, a seer who predicts what enemies will do) and then LATER wrote actual characters to match these. It wasn't until like 2-3 years later I finally came up with a rough plotline for these characters to follow (although who knows I might scrap it again for a new one).
[3] Wanted to make a game using a specific artstyle. Wanted to make a story about robots and a world after human extinction. Really enjoyed a proof-of-concept flash game about spellcasting mages and wanted a refined full version of it. Had a story for just the magic thing but threw it out. Mages/witchcraft and robots share little in common but thought it would be interesting to combine these radically different styles and wrote a very rough story about a robot who learns how to use magic.
[4] Years ago I expressed interest in making a certain type of CS mod alongside an acquaintance, but the idea was only gameplay with no story attached. Unrelated, I had recently did a crap ton of in-depth research on Cave Story for a (now on hiatus) iceberg project. Naturally there were multiple mysteries and unexplained details swimming about because of this. Out of nowhere I had an idea for two scenes in a CS continuation, which had nothing to do with each other and there was no gameplay attached to this. It wasn't until a couple of days later I realized I could combine all three of these things into one project, but there was still only two scenes and I later spent months writing the story just so everything connected. This involved rewriting a segment because of a plothole discovered by a friend and actually deciding that one of those two scenes won't be shown to the player after all, but nonetheless that's the creative journey it took.
The takeaway of those examples is that there isn't a set order to writing, and in most cases you can combine different things seemingly unrelated. Now, I can't exactly help you get those initial inspirations. For me it's kinda an uncontrollable process you have to listen to and explore when it does spark, but if all you have is a game mechanic idea it's fine to start and hone that first in the hope that the story comes later. Tons of games come like that, and stories are easier to change than gameplay anyways.

Also for characters my advice is to attempt to give everyone IMPORTANT (protagonists, antagonists and any character who has a lot of screentime) three things: A strength, a flaw, and a motivation/goal. You don't have to actually explicitly mention these for every character, nor do you need those flaws to be solved or the goals to be reached, but having them helps to have a consistent and interesting character. It doesn't even need to be complex, just one thing they are relatively good at ("being friendly" to "doesn't give up"), something that makes them imperfect ("stubborn/closeminded" to "can't think when flustered"), and something they are trying to do ("seek companionship" to "maintain an effortless life and avoid conflict"). Like I said you don't need to actually show all of these in your project, but it helps to have them written down to reference and brainstorm.
Willow
Willow
I recommend putting yourself on a 5-10 minute timer and writing short stories. It's real easy and good practice
You are in the middle of an extreme game of Uno. The tension is high unbearable as all players involved wait patiently for their turns.

The silence is broken by an announcement.

"Thanks for the sub!"
Back