"Keep on rollin'!"
Trippy.

And diabolical, looking at those spikes. o_o

Dec 20, 2008 at 7:18 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Alright, so far the first area has ALOT of death spikes, so i'm wondering:

Should i use deathspikes, or warp portals that warp you to where you can redo the jump?

Cuz im starting to think that this many death spikes might irritate some people... especially because it's the first level.

Also: Health upgrades: yes or no?
(if yes....)
Health foods: yes or no? (like buying food and weapons, i think it's a great idea personally)

And....
A central town-like area: yes or no?

Btw, chances are these are VERY likely to become reality, but i would still like a second opinion. (next update may be HUGE)

oh, and while your here check out this org ima use :D.

parasiteeve.org

Dec 21, 2008 at 2:00 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
you shuld put liek a million health upgrades and have a row of death spikes on the ground and make people run through it :D

Dec 21, 2008 at 3:55 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I think it's so unique that you give the player 1 HP that it'd be a huge shame to change that. Or at least to change it early.

As for shops, I think that if you're gonna have a town or shops or such it'd be much cooler if instead of currency used to BUY weapons/health, you gave the player a weapon, then included multiple NPCs who would gladly trade an item of theirs for that weapon or one of the other NPCs' items--including one who'll trade you a 9HP capsule for the gun, one with a different gun, maybe one who'll trade you the air bubble, and so on. Have it be revisitable and reversable. Then, in the same fashion as the island part of Zelda, Oracle of Ages, have clever use of one of these items be able to get you to, say, a gem that you can trade for an extra item so you can now carry two at once, and so on until you have all of them. Maybe make the booster your initial bargaining chip rather than a gun. Mostly, though, I think it'd be much interesting if you made the player trade an already useful item for another one than an arbitrary unit of currency, even if said item was handed to them just before the town part and designed just for that purpose.

As for the spikes, if practical teleporters are better. Rather than being a complete slap on the wrist though, make the "spikes" teleport you back two jumps--and make you come out of those teleports with the "fallling upside-down" sprite from the normal ending, land in pile on the floor, and get up to try again. Make em still LOOK like spikes though.

Dec 21, 2008 at 12:55 PM
Been here way too long...
"..."
We are talking about wtf story here right?
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Should i use deathspikes, or warp portals that warp you to where you can redo the jump?

Also: Health upgrades: yes or no?
(if yes....)
Health foods: yes or no? (like buying food and weapons, i think it's a great idea personally)

And....
A central town-like area: yes or no?
parasiteeve.org
Warp portals = yes on the very annoying jumps. You could even make them degenerate so that if you mess up 3 or 6 or 100 times, then u fall thru and die.

Health upgrades: No, get hit = death. Works great with your gameplay.

Central town: No, i love the linearness of your game.

Please don't change your strategy in the middle of the game.

Jan 5, 2009 at 5:43 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
thread titles

I was just wondering how i could change the thread title, this one still reads "WTF story demo v 0.1", and that information is no longer true.

Does a moderator possess the power to change the thread (if so, please just change it to "WTF story", unless you want to update the title EVERY time a new version is released), because I am unaware if it is possible, or if it is permanent.

Also, I'm thinking of making the weapons non-level-up-able, to add another unique element to the game play (tis is sad, cuz i had the animations for the other levels of the cube gun done already, but it is good as well). This mod is not dead yet, but soon school starts so that's no good.

Oh and...

SeriousFace said:
We are talking about wtf story here right?

What else would we be talking about in this thread?

Jan 6, 2009 at 12:44 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
But the leveling up of the polar star was what made the Blocky battle fun! You would be better served with copious abuse of the "black wind" effect and editing the enemies to not drop stuff (though you'd have to figure out how to do so... maybe avoid focus on the enemies). The "fun" part is knowing your weapons can be leveled up but being perpetually denied any opportunity to do so except at specific points.

Jan 6, 2009 at 9:33 PM
Been here way too long...
or you could make it so that your weapons automatically lost 1 exp every second or some such. You could also make it so that it only does that when not equipped.

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:29 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Brickman said:
But the leveling up of the polar star was what made the Blocky battle fun! You would be better served with copious abuse of the "black wind" effect and editing the enemies to not drop stuff (though you'd have to figure out how to do so... maybe avoid focus on the enemies). The "fun" part is knowing your weapons can be leveled up but being perpetually denied any opportunity to do so except at specific points.

Well, it's actually pretty easy to make the enemies not drop stuff, just hack npc.tbl.

Jan 20, 2009 at 2:33 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
This mod is pretty nice, great job on what you've got done so far. The tetris bit was pretty cool.
I also managed to find your little secret, but it took a while; it was very well hidden.
Hoping to see more of this mod. I like what I've seen so far.

Jan 20, 2009 at 3:30 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
I was just wondering how i could change the thread title, this one still reads "WTF story demo v 0.1", and that information is no longer true.
What are you talking about? It reads "v 0.2". :D

Jan 20, 2009 at 3:38 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
andwhyisit said:
What are you talking about? It reads "v 0.2". :D

Holy jesus! I'm suspecting you did that.

If that is the case, continue on with the next paragraph. If it was magical fairies, disregard the next paragraph then.

Seeing as you changed it to v 0.2, I think the title should be changed to just "WTF story", so that you don't have to change the thread title every time I release an update. Unless you don't mind changing the title every time I release a new chapter. It's up to you I suppose.

Chemistry Midterm tomorrow whoot! Nothing like exam week. Perfect time to work on my mod, when I should be studying.

Also, chapter 1 is looking MAGNIFICENT RIGHT NOW!!! I love what I've done with it, but I need alpha testers. PM me if your interested.

Mar 10, 2009 at 4:18 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
News...

wtfstory6.jpg

Seeing as there's been no updates in nearly 2 months (jeez, I am taking my time with this), I'd figure that i might as well just drop a screeny here to let you all know that I'm not, well you know, dead. And neither is this mod. Not by a long shot.

V 0.3 may be coming out in a few weeks, now that most of the renovations to chapter 1 are complete. Chapter 3 still needs some major work though. Hopefully I can get a release out before March 25th, as that's when I'm leaving for Japan for 10 days. So I guess that's my goal.

But what I'm really saying: WTF-story isn't dead, it's just going through a major rehaul. Seriously, I nearly redid all of chapter 1.

Mar 10, 2009 at 5:18 AM
Source Splicer, 2nd Class
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
It's great to hear this mod is still alive. I'm looking forward to giving the new 1st chapter a spin.
(*Looks at picture* That reminds me, I found the hidden weapon!)
Before fighting Blocky, if you sit around the doorway, the tetris blocks will stop falling. Go back down to where you started climbing up at & you'll find it in a treasure chest that wasn't initially there.

Mar 10, 2009 at 11:12 AM
Hax on....Hax off....
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
oh my god i'm so glad that a new demo is coming soon!
When i first played the tetris level i had no idea how you make all the blocks fall like that but now that i know, i really respect you for how long that must have taken
nice job!

Mar 14, 2009 at 6:56 AM
Okay
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Madmin The Madman said:
That tetris stage was harder that I expected.
Haha, that is why it is called "WTF Story". Thank you GIRakaCHEEZER

Mar 14, 2009 at 10:45 PM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
The Tetris Stage is IMPOSSIBLE. D:

Mar 14, 2009 at 11:43 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
That is one thing I can definitely agree with you about.

Mar 15, 2009 at 12:02 AM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Is there some trick to it? The booster doesn't help at all!