WTF story demo v 0.504

Nov 26, 2008 at 11:14 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
the neck in the facepic looks too thin, and maybe you could shift the entire head one space left, but other wise it looks great!

Nov 27, 2008 at 5:59 AM
Source Splicer, 2nd Class
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
sooooo, has any1 actually managed to get to the end of demo v 0.2?
if not i might revise the difficulty.....
or just post a video on how to get past it
No need to post a video, I just covered that here...

...But I suppose you could put one up anyway, if you feel like it. The more, the merrier, right?

The new boss theme was unexpected, as well. I recall hearing it on a Sonic game for the Game Gear years back, but I forgot which one it was... Oh well.
Despite how rough that first Tetris part is, I still say great job with the mod.
The new sprite idea is awesome, but I agree with Thajaro about the facepic. Still, amazing work!

Dec 3, 2008 at 12:24 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Roonil Wazlib said:
Pretty cool, but just one question:
HOW THE FUCK DO I GET OUT OF THE TETRIS ROOM?

Lol, it's possible, and if you're really that stuck, badbeholder posted a video showing how.

Game play of Wtf Story (By BadBeholder)

Btw, the reason the tetris is soo difficult is because, well....
It was very, VERY hard to script, so to make it worth the effort, I made it very, VERY hard to beat :D.

Dec 3, 2008 at 12:47 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
It's really only the final bit that's hard, you gotta pick your place to jump and just hope that you don't get squished (quick and low boosting woks best).
Still, I echo this:
DoubleThink said:
Well, a skipflag for before the Tetris bit would be nice, so the dialogue doesn't play every time...

Dec 3, 2008 at 5:10 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I liked this mod. It was funny and fun. The altered title screen music got me laughing before I even started, though the other sped up songs weren't that interesting. The boss theme was cool though.

I thought the final solution to the chest room was clever. I really liked the B@lrog fight. If you were gonna change the tetris room at all, which I know you won't, I'd want you to make the first half harder--you can just stand on top of the first block for a good half the room, which makes the two seconds or so of highly concentrated trial and error at the top more grating. The next room was kinda lame; changing the falling block room from horizontal to vertical just emphasizes the luck aspect, as 90% of the time you're totally safe and the other 5% it's almost undodgable--you're better off just ignoring them entirely and boosting to the top. As for Blocky, I liked him a lot just the way he is, especially the "leveling up your polar star on the 'bats'" part. If you're gonna change it at all, just make the bats stronger, but I don't think he even needs that. If you stop the bats from dropping crystals it'll stop being fun altogether.

edit: I also thought stealing some of misery's dialogue was sorta funny. Also, my money's on the block gun being the bubbler in disguise.

Dec 3, 2008 at 5:26 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Brickman said:
I liked this mod. It was funny and fun. The altered title screen music got me laughing before I even started, though the other sped up songs weren't that interesting. The boss theme was cool though.

The next room was kinda lame; changing the falling block room from horizontal to vertical just emphasizes the luck aspect, as 90% of the time you're totally safe and the other 5% it's almost undodgable--you're better off just ignoring them entirely and boosting to the top.

Actually the only song that is from the cave story original (besides the title screen) was the first chapter music (gestation), which is probably filler until i find something suitable.

Also, I find that about 70% of the time I can't get past the 2nd room (good GOD those things pick up speed), and yes it is just luck, but it is nice to give the player some sort of break after the breakneck skills needed to pass the tetris room (it frustrates people, so i've seen).
Roonil Wazlib said:
HOW THE FUCK DO I GET OUT OF THE TETRIS ROOM?

Also, a little easter egg because no1 seems to have found it yet, there is a bonus in chapter 2 (a MAJOR bonus, getting this makes things easier later on & even for the duration of this mod). I wonder if anyone has found it though...

Dec 4, 2008 at 11:29 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I discovered the door in the middle of chest room but there is the same what is in the room behind the door at the bottom - death :/ What am I supposed to do?

Dec 4, 2008 at 11:38 AM
Source Splicer, 2nd Class
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
After the 4th correct chest, there's another one above the new door that has a brief smoke effect coming from it. That one has the way out.
(It's on the topmost row.)

Dec 4, 2008 at 12:27 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Ok. Now I'm playing tetris ><

Dec 4, 2008 at 1:20 PM
Respwnt
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
That's not what I meant lozl, the problem was I was running the game from the "Cave Story" folder in your zipfile rather than the actual one. If you try that, the tetris game stops at one point and you're completely stuck there with no way out. Blocky doesn't appear either.

Anyways, I completed the game and I have to say it's awesome, albeit rather short. Maybe you should take your time with the updates and post two or more chapters together, coz the current version takes not more than 15 minutes if you know what you're doing.

Dec 9, 2008 at 5:16 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Been awhile since i posted here, kinda need ideas for an actiony level, any help?

And while your waiting for the next release (if you are waiting), then check out this org that ima use for the mod.

goldsaucer.org

Dec 9, 2008 at 11:54 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Well, you already have a Tetris level... so why not something like a Quake or Doom level?

Dec 9, 2008 at 3:38 PM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Well, I've always wanted to play a level where I'd have to use Booster 2.0 extensively.

Dec 10, 2008 at 11:16 AM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I can't even get past Hell without huge doses of luck and you want a level which requires extensive use of the Booster 2.0?

maybe make it optional?

Dec 10, 2008 at 12:06 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
T-Jack said:
Well, I've always wanted to play a level where I'd have to use Booster 2.0 extensively.
You ever tried the Corridor mod?
Perfect Booster jumps. No saves. Spikes. Truly devilish level designs. Spikes. Probably gives I Wanna Be The Guy a run for its money.

Dec 10, 2008 at 1:34 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Easy claim, but doubtful. Even if it's on the same level as early IWBTG, that game's just huge, and it actually scales itself up near the end.

Dec 12, 2008 at 4:36 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
small song

Planning on redoing a bit of chapter 1, so it looks/sounds/plays better.

This is the song i'm planning to use for the first chapter now, tell me what you think of it.
putrid.org

Also, if you're wondering where the song originally is from, here's a link to where i found the original putrid nes.

Putrid Nes

As for level ideas, i still have none as how to design the 2nd part of chapter 3, but I should be able to manage.

Dec 15, 2008 at 1:09 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
New screeny

I'm pretty much redoing the maps in chapter 1, because looking back i find them uncreative (and i needed cooler maps to fit the new music)

Here's a screeny of one of the new maps:

screeny-layout.jpg

As usual, tell me what you think.

Also, i've decided on how to design the 2nd part of chapter 3, but thanks anyways to the people who have expressed what they would like to see in the game.