Would you become a robot?

Would you have your mind transferred to a robot?

• Yes

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • No

Votes: 27 96.4%

• Total voters
Dec 17, 2008 at 9:31 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
wedge of cheese said:
You know, it is actually not that difficult to make a virus-proof robot. The reason viruses are such a problem with modern computers is that their operating systems are designed in a very non-controlling way. In other words, there are very few limits as to what a peice of software can do. On a modern computer, a *.exe file has the power to directly edit the data on the hard drive and RAM, with out having to pass through any sort of interface. If you simply made a robot with an operating system that requires software to edit the data on the hard drive and RAM through an interface defined by the operating system, rather than editing it directly, then it would be impossible to make a virus for that operating system.
Hmm.... but an executable file contains the binary machine code. Obviously, that means it can use any commands that the machine can understand. So how do you propose to make sensitive commands unavailable to the machine code while still making it possible to execute these commands? It doesn't really seem possible to me, though I could be missing something.

T-Jack said:
And how exactly does suicide not count as a death?
It's death, yes, but it's not an age-related death. Which is the type of death I was talking about, even if I didn't explicitly say so.

Dec 17, 2008 at 10:41 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Simply design the operating system so that executable files don't contain machine code, but contain something very close to machine code which has limitations to prevent malicious software, and is interpreted by the operating system. In other words, make it so that the only actual machine code in the robot is the operating system itself.

Dec 17, 2008 at 10:42 PM
This Troper
Celtic Minstrel said:
It's death, yes, but it's not an age-related death. Which is the type of death I was talking about, even if I didn't explicitly say so.
And why is it (heh) that only an age related death matters? And if you're gonna talk about that "friends die, relatives die" thing, ever read or seen The Bicentennial Man?

Dec 18, 2008 at 12:10 AM
"Huzzah!"
Celtic Minstrel said:

A kid died from suicide
An old man died from his age.

Tell me, who is more dead?
It doesn't matter how you get led into death, as long as you can reach it dieing is dieing no matter what road you take to reach it.

There is no "Type" of death. There are "Ways to reach death", but there's no types of it.

Dec 18, 2008 at 3:31 AM
In front of a computer
wedge of cheese said:
Simply design the operating system so that executable files don't contain machine code, but contain something very close to machine code which has limitations to prevent malicious software, and is interpreted by the operating system. In other words, make it so that the only actual machine code in the robot is the operating system itself.
...So the OS won't even attempt to execute a file containing machine code. I guess it could work.

And, since it is a robot, the OS could confirm with the robot's consciousness when a program tries to delete something. :rolleyes:

T-Jack said:
And why is it (heh) that only an age related death matters? And if you're gonna talk about that "friends die, relatives die" thing, ever read or seen The Bicentennial Man?
Because an age related death is general beyond one's control, whereas suicide is a choice made.

Linknight said:
A kid died from suicide
An old man died from his age.

Tell me, who is more dead?
They're equally dead, but one of them made a choice to die for whatever reason.

Linknight said:
It doesn't matter how you get led into death, as long as you can reach it dieing is dieing no matter what road you take to reach it.
Perhaps, but immortality is generally about being free of age-related deaths. And sometimes it's about simply being incapable of dying, and in fact that sort of immortality is definitely a curse.

Linknight said:
There is no "Type" of death. There are "Ways to reach death", but there's no types of it.
Um... those are kind of the same thing, aren't they?

Dec 18, 2008 at 11:56 AM
"Huzzah!"
Celtic Minstrel said:
Um... those are kind of the same thing, aren't they?
What I mean is
Theres no different "Kind" of death. Meaning death is death, there's no "special" death its just death.

Reach it anyway you want, it's still death.

Dec 18, 2008 at 3:19 PM
In front of a computer
Some people would disagree with you (eg death of the body vs death of the soul and stuff like that). And there may be other ways that separate death into various kinds.

They're all hypothetical, though, so I'm not going to argue them.

Dec 18, 2008 at 3:47 PM
This Troper
Celtic Minstrel said:
Because an age related death is general beyond one's control, whereas suicide is a choice made.
I still don't understand why's that so bad. And even if I did, this argumentation is still a bit off here, since you first have to decide to become immortal.

Dec 18, 2008 at 6:26 PM
In front of a computer
T-Jack said:
I still don't understand why's that so bad.
...I wasn't trying to say suicidal deaths are worse than age deaths. I do think that death is an essential part of life, though.

T-Jack said:
since you first have to decide to become immortal.
In this scenario, yes, that's true. There are stories where a person is forced to become immortal, but that's not really what this is about, is it...

Dec 18, 2008 at 8:43 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
I'mma Chargin' Ma Lasor!

Another reason: all robots have death beams or laser cannons. XD

Dec 19, 2008 at 5:35 PM
In front of a computer
That is not true. :D

Dec 19, 2008 at 9:40 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
yes i would. thn i would live untill i want to die, then get killed by a massive zombie sky dragon.

Dec 19, 2008 at 11:07 PM
In front of a computer

But where will you get a massive zombie sky dragon?

Dec 19, 2008 at 11:23 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
well, whatever ill ahve the ppl shut me down, i was kinda joking : P
its not like a robot is completely invincible, they can over time probably rust and fall apart, then choose to just die rather than transplant again or they could get killed some way.
they arent immortal .

Dec 19, 2008 at 11:33 PM
In front of a computer
Well, that depends on what the robot is made of... and whether it's built to maintain itself... but yes, robots can "die" a natural death too.

Feb 28, 2009 at 5:24 AM
Banned
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!

Mar 5, 2009 at 9:37 PM
graters gonna grate
Celtic Minstrel said:
Well, that depends on what the robot is made of...

The robot is made of cheese O_o

[/RANDOMNESS]

Mar 5, 2009 at 9:51 PM
/end
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
A cheese robot? Wouldn't be a very good robot, no? Everyone would be trying to eat it.

Mar 5, 2009 at 9:55 PM
graters gonna grate
Not if it's moldy and gross they wouldn't

Mar 6, 2009 at 11:36 AM
I WANT YEN LIN!!!
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Note to self : Don't get near WoC. Even he doesn't want us to.

Well, we come back to the question on why Quote poofs when he dies.