Would you become a robot?

Would you have your mind transferred to a robot?

• Yes

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • No

Votes: 27 96.4%

• Total voters
Dec 11, 2008 at 9:06 PM
Neophyte Member
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2008 at 10:37 PM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Well, that depends on what kind of robot that would be. Transformer? Bending unit? Frogstar Scout Robot Class A? Series 4000 mechanoid? What about Battlemech? Or did you, by any chance, mean Quote-like robot?

Dec 11, 2008 at 10:39 PM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Okay, I wouldn't, because at least some of my friends either would not or could not become robots and I would have to live (almost) forever, watching them all die.

Also, I was born a human, and what makes us human is that we die. If I no longer died, even though my mind was human, I would not be anymore.

Do you get what I'm saying?

Humans != Robots
Therefore, Humans are not meant to be robots.

btw, I'm not an anti-science, religous maniac, quite the opposite actually (super science, athiest maniac), I just do not think it would be human - to not be human. :D

Cheers!
Lace

Edit: this post is not meant to offend anyone (religous maniac) so don't be offended.

Edity: of course it's a quote like robot. This is a cave story forum.

Dec 11, 2008 at 10:50 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
i think i would, but would our consciouness really be put into the robot?
i'd be more likely to hook up my brain to a robot, seeing as it would be more likely to still retain my consciousness than maybe a hardrive....
but then again i like some of my human parts.
I'm not sure, but i would lean more towards robot.

Dec 11, 2008 at 11:07 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I'd love to be a Medabot.

Dec 11, 2008 at 11:19 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Depends, can we get viruses? :D

Though I would like the enhanced speed and agility that a robotic body would bring me, I think that I'd rather stay human than go robot, because I don't like rust.

Dec 12, 2008 at 12:03 AM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
We are the Core!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_annihilation#Story

"Wikipedia" said:
Story
What began as a conflict over the transfer of consciousness from flesh to machines escalated into a war which has decimated a million worlds. The Core and the Arm have all but exhausted the resources of a galaxy in their struggle for domination. Both sides now crippled beyond repair, the remnants of their armies continue to battle on ravaged planets, their hatred fueled by over four thousand years of total war. This is a fight to the death. For each side, the only acceptable outcome is the complete elimination of the other.

For those who like to say TLDR: I want robot.

Dec 12, 2008 at 7:16 AM
I WANT YEN LIN!!!
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
  1. Jake, you're a genius. But having your mind transferred does not necessarily mean immortality. You might need to ctrl+c ctrl+v that data from time to time.
  2. T, you underestimate the definition of robots, they can do anything, but can't do everything, and different robots are same, just with different purposes like you might have implied.
    Confucius said, don't kill a mosquito with a cannon, and don't slice a tomato with a robot.
  3. I have almost the exact same opinion as Lace's, but I'm no super anything, anything maniac. I'm a bit of everything.
    But it might be a Balrog-like robot. Yea, I consider a talking toaster a robot.
  4. Cheeser(Brit spelling :D), I don't really get what you're saying with "conciousness", but you can't converse if you aren't concious, can you? Curly and Quote surely can.
    And please, sex is not really essential, is it?
    Btw, are you using Lite or default skin?
  5. Guile................ your mom is calling you. Feeding time.
  6. Zephro, you still get viruses(or viri?) as a human and you can still bathe everyday as a robot. But yea, robots can have enhanced whatevers because they don't experience pain, which means they aren't concious? Damn
  7. Hey DB, that game looks cool. Yes call me a noob as you desire

Dec 12, 2008 at 2:05 PM
This Troper
Well, I'd like to become a warbot. You know, for things like flamethrower roasting or MG-powered door opening. Though I'd rather have a robot than be a robot...

Dec 12, 2008 at 2:11 PM
Justin-chan
I'd rather have ghostly powers like Danny Phantom. Y'know, invisibility, walk-through-walls, for y'know what. ^3^

Dec 12, 2008 at 2:36 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Guile? Lolz, now i'm a prophet.

Dec 12, 2008 at 2:43 PM
In front of a computer
Um... no.

Dec 12, 2008 at 5:05 PM
graters gonna grate
My belief is that the fundamental design of modern computers makes it impossible for them to be conscious, and therefore it would be impossible to be transferred into a robot and still retain consciousness/free will. Therefore, I voted no.

Dec 12, 2008 at 5:54 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
freezit4 said:
7. Hey DB, that game looks cool.
Heh. Is an ancient one.
Though I've always found the idea of a sentient machine intriguing, I most certainly believe we're a couple centuries off Core (see link below) patterning technology. I mean, the only thing that's stopping us is the abillity to emulate the brain's dynamic "relative data storage". Well, that and the tremendous parallel processing capability. I mean, to match the human brain we'd need a rediculous number of quad-core processors and a few million gigs of ram. As wedge sorta posted, we could theorhetically have a script for every scenario, but the delay on calling them would be too great. Or have a compare function, but even then the data table would take a while to process. And finally, the entire system would have to learn to remove things that are never referenced, requiring a second system to monitor usage and weed out dead references (this is required for learning).

The Brain: The Less It Does The More Effecient It Is

Also, anyone who missed out on TA can try Balanced Annihilation on spring.
Well, technically you have to OWN a copy of TA on CD, but...
And yes, I have a copy.
I keep it in the same place I keep Warcraft II and my beta test copy of a friends MMORPG.

Dec 12, 2008 at 7:03 PM
Guile is the prophet! I noes that! I played the damn game.

Dec 12, 2008 at 7:03 PM
"Huzzah!"
No question. I would become a robot.

There are many reasons.

First- of all is the immortality. So what if you die? You backed up your data. Some friend of yours just places that data into another vessel. Then wham your back in business baby.
Second- is the abilities. You now have metallic hands and limbs and such, thus allowing you to punch a brick wall down. Not to mention your arm going into a missile launcher or an Automatic machine gun. That would be kick ass. FLAME THROWER PWNAGE! Then you have they layzor beams and not to add you could jump higher, run faster, and etc. Sure you couldn't "work out" to get stronger, but you could make yourself more powerful by learning more upgrades to put inside your body. Imagine a robot with a core of lightning that would run on it at times to make the circuitry in your body activate much faster. I could see so many possibilities, plus your only as strong as your intellect, which is awesome.
Third- we can change our appearance at will. Don't like this hair? Don't like this face? Bam, changed. You can only do so much to a humans face, but to a robot you can look like anything.
Fourth- I'm just that much closer to being Quotes RL BFF! =D
Fifth- you couldn't make children per say, no sperm, but you can still do anything else a human could do.
Sixth- YOUR THE INTERNET BISH! GO SEARCH THE WEB THE WAY YOU SHOULD! BY BEING RIGHT THERE IN ITS FACE!
Seventh- you could place yourself inside an alternate reality of your choosing if you ever wanted to just escape the world. A controlled dream if you would.
Eighth- You can be the character in the video game your playing, go inside that world and shoot some zombies. Screw tv, HOLD THAT GUN IN YOUR HAND AS YOU TRAVEL THROUGH THE CIRCUITRY!
Ninth- No sleep, and since you can emit lights you're a walking rave
Tenth- Learning things is so easy, just download. Have firewalls though so you don't get a virus, lulz.
Eleventh- Traveling is as easy as 1, 2, Data transfered complete. Just put your memory inside another one of you somewhere else, maybe later on they will have special "drones" that you could download yourself into in order to simply walk around in it, so you could travel easy.
Twelfth- No deficiencies. Your no longer handicapped, mentally or physically, and your body features will never be completely mutated for life.
Thirteenth- No need to eat or drink, thus no need for waste, thus you will never need to waste any time of your life doing anything
Fourteenth- No oxygen, Deep sea diving and air locked areas here I come!

I can't think of any more, but I know I can...just not now.

Dec 12, 2008 at 9:16 PM
I can has squidburger?
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I would if everyone else did, not because of peer pressure but because I wouldn't want to live longer or shorter than other people that I was close to.

Dec 12, 2008 at 10:58 PM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Here's a problem: You know the general "vision" you have? Behind your eyes, and nobody else? That is that which you experience, which can never be replicated.

Given your mind is cloned or placed into a machine, you yourself will never experience it, as it is impossible to transfer this essence. It might be a copy, but it isn't the original, and never will be.

Dec 12, 2008 at 11:06 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Just give it time, the human emulator will get there