What the heck is Balrog?

Feb 2, 2013 at 7:13 AM
THE suus
"Keep on rollin'!"
Dunc2403 said:
1. Shut up you're an idiot
2. His original name literally translates to "King of the Bars"
3. Balrog is a bar of soap
4. Welcome to the forums, enjoy your stay!
That was pleasant. Good point though. I think he might be a suitcase or a bar of soap, beta balrog is definitely soap.

Feb 2, 2013 at 9:16 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
And bill gates added wings to him so he could fly to the market to buy bread. Possibly. Who Knows?
Why was Bill Gates ever involved here desu ka.

Feb 2, 2013 at 1:52 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
1. Balrog's design was originally based on a bar of soap (Pixel did confirm this). Though this doesn't mean he is one. Seems more like a robot personally.
2. Never once has Balrog popped toast or been shown with a bread slot. Furthermore the Cave Story DSi and Cave Story 3D sites depict Balrog's head and it has no bread slots whatsoever.
3. The suitcase thing was because when Balrog burst through the door during his first appearance the tip of the door just above his head looked like a handle. That one was thoroughly debunked.

Feb 2, 2013 at 2:44 PM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Feb 2, 2013 at 3:37 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
So, there's a chance I'm showering with a flying bar of soap? Er... I don't feel like showering...

Feb 2, 2013 at 10:54 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
I love how andwhy adresses all theories with complete seriousness no matter how ridiculous they are hahaha

Feb 4, 2013 at 2:47 PM
Little Bitch in Sheep Clothing
"..."
iamssj4 said:
maybe before he was under the doctor's control, he was the king of toasters, and made toast for morgan freeman when he was hungry. And bill gates added wings to him so he could fly to the market to buy bread. Possibly. Who Knows?
There is no evidence alluding to this in canon, and several evidences contradicting it, as andwhy had said.
From what I understand of how Theories works, we are discussing facts of the game by using in-canon facts. If a fact does not have an in-canon evidence, it is a 'headcanon', which could be used in fanfictions, mods, or whatever, but will always generally have less merit when used as a point in any discussion. You could write a fanfiction with a contradicted fact, but then it would be a retcon.

So if we review your ideas:

1. Balrog is the King of Toasters.
2. He made toasts for Morgan Freeman.
3. Bill Gates gave him his wings.
4. So that he could fly to the market to buy bread.

You will see that there is only one plausible headcanon.

1. Balrog is not a toaster.
2. Therefore he can't make toasts for Morgan Freeman.
3. But there is no evidence contradicting the theory that Bill Gates gave him his wings.
4. But obviously he didn't give it to Balrog so that he could fly to the market to buy bread.

I'm pretty sure there is no reference of any real person in Cave Story at all, so we could file Fact 3 under 'Semi-Unprovable Headcanon', which means the only way of proving it is to ask Pixel himself.

It also ties in with the theory that Cave Story setting is in our own world, probably in the future, but that's neither here nor there.

/thread ?

Feb 11, 2013 at 1:03 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
PEOPLE. There's only one way to figure out what Balrog is.
TO THE BUS!

Balrog refers to Jenka as "auntie". It's possible that Ballos' son was cursed by the Demon Crown along with Msery and given a new form.

Feb 11, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Scythian said:
Balrog refers to Jenka as "auntie". It's possible that Ballos' son was cursed by the Demon Crown along with Msery and given a new form.
..or it's just a term of endearment.

Feb 13, 2013 at 12:25 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
andwhyisit said:
..or it's just a term of endearment.
Pshaaaaaaaaaaaaaw.

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:52 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Scythian said:
PEOPLE. There's only one way to figure out what Balrog is.
TO THE BUS!

i agree, also do you remember the dogs in jenka's house? i think one of them was balrog in disguise.
i call shotgun on the bus.

p175028-0-trigon.jpg
are these the triangles your looking for?

Feb 20, 2013 at 1:08 PM
Dunc2403 said:
But Ballos killed his whole family (besides Jenka)
Ah, but the Demon Crown cursed misery BEFORE Ballos went into his state of magical rage and destroyed everything.
While it says he killed his entire family in the blast, it's still possible that as a result of being cursed (And being bound to the crown forever)
That whoever is bound to the crown cannot die like Ballos. It's also possible that Balrog was cursed as well.

Feb 23, 2013 at 9:37 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I love how in-depth this topic got, with all the talk of the back story, relatives, timeline etc. Just because one person made a thread about Balrog being a toaster.

Feb 27, 2013 at 4:20 PM
Dunc2403 said:
Misery had Ballos make the demon crown long after he went mad.
Mad meaning before he destroyed everything and was insane or after he destroyed everything and was insane?
I'm talking before he destroyed everything and was insane.

PixelVortex said:
I love how in-depth this topic got, with all the talk of the back story, relatives, timeline etc. Just because one person made a thread about Balrog being a toaster.
I take EVERYTHING seriously.

EVERYTHING.

Feb 27, 2013 at 8:12 PM
Professional Whatever
Umm no
He went insane and the kingdom exploded
I don't see why you think they're two separate events

Mar 6, 2013 at 2:16 AM
A Reluctant Balrog's Waifu
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Balrog is none of these things.