What the heck is Balrog?

Apr 1, 2005 at 1:19 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Balrog: Mutant Toaster or Mutant Lunchbox?

What do you guys think? From the first time I saw him I thought he was a lunchbox (he even has a handle...) but I guess he could be a toaster or something else...
Oh, on a less humorous note... one thing I did notice that was "odd" in the game was red flowers in Arthur's house... do you think before he died he ate the flowers in a last-ditch effort to thwart the Doctor? Or was he the one turned into Igor, perhaps? Something else?

Apr 1, 2005 at 6:16 AM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
I think more along the lines of Mutant Toaster. He does have slots for a toaster but then again he also has a handle for a lunchbox.

Toaster:
p174917-0-balrogtoaster.gif

Lunchbox:
p174917-1-balroglunchbox.gif

Then again, he kind of looks like a television as well...

I think you might be on to something about Arthur and the red-flowers, perhaps the Mimiga at the farm gained his knowledge of what happens to Mimigas after consuming a red flower after seeing Arthur do it. It does make since in a way that he might do that to do one last final stand against the doctor, which also might have given the doctor the red flower/mimiga idea in the first place...

-SkyeWelse

Apr 1, 2005 at 6:42 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hmm...I'd say more of a sumo wrestler toaster.

Apr 1, 2005 at 8:39 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I just noticed that Balrog's 'handle' is only when he's facing forward. It made me notice that the handle could be the door in the background of that picture. Is he ever facing forward without a door in the background? I'll try to see if I can find a screenie of it sometime tonight...

Apr 1, 2005 at 9:50 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
You know he could also be a big pot. :)

Apr 1, 2005 at 9:56 PM
Penguin Administrator
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I told Mr. Skyewelse this yesterday, but Japanese lunchboxes don't look like the stereotypical American ones. I also just realized right now that the Japanese toaster that is commonly used these days is also an oven toaster and not the one that spits out bread.

So I really have no idea what he is. o_O

Apr 2, 2005 at 2:42 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Maybe he's a mobile pez dispenser? :)

Apr 5, 2005 at 3:08 AM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
Niahak: You were correct in saying that Balrog doesn't have a handle. It is part of the door like you said.

Funny thing is, I recieved an email today by a Japanese Doukutsu Monogatari fan who wanted to point out an error on the site. He pointed out that the
'Balrog First Form' picture listed on the bosses section was in fact a cut-out of the handle-Balrog that I must have cut out from that picture. He told me that it part of the door as well. lol

I guess I better change it now before even more people notice it. :)

-SkyeWelse

Apr 23, 2005 at 5:45 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I think he's either a giant t.v or some type of gameboy =D

May 26, 2005 at 9:17 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
He's a lunch box. I'm absolutely certain he's a lunch box.

Jun 22, 2005 at 11:47 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
He's a toaster,because I like him...And i also like toasters,so he must be a toaster!

Sep 15, 2005 at 9:03 PM
Slime
"No! Don't OPEN that DOOR!"
Perhaps he is a seperate species of sentient creature. We already know there are many intelligent creaturs in the game. He can't be anything mechanical, because I don't think robots, even ones with souls, can become ghosts like Pooh Black. Notice how if you beat the secret boss, you see Pooh Black working in the clinic rather than Balrog?

Sep 20, 2005 at 6:19 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
i think slime is right but then again i don't think that he looks like a toaster, lunchbox or a tv even

Oct 3, 2005 at 8:10 PM
I think the two slots at the top, as well as the way his arms come out of his side-slots, make him look like a toaster.

Huzzah!

Oct 16, 2005 at 3:20 AM
hmmm but what if there just like tattoos or scars

Oct 17, 2005 at 12:19 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Well....I dunno. He looks like a lot of things, but mostly he just looks like Balrog, and thats what he is

Oct 17, 2005 at 1:25 AM
God of Chaos said:
hmmm but what if there just like tattoos or scars
So he has stripey toaster-coloured tattoos, two toaster-slot-like scars positioned toaster-like on his head, and toaster-handle-like arms, but it's all one big coincidence.

Oct 17, 2005 at 7:34 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I think he's a toaster with lunchbox capabilities...

Anyhow, I've already designed some patterns to make a plushie of him, and have an Otaku World Mascot of him in the works. If ya wanna, you're welcome to ask me about them! :(

Oct 17, 2005 at 6:06 PM
I'd love to have a Balrog plushie! And Mimigas too.

Oct 17, 2005 at 10:22 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
First, I need to test out the patterns, then once I have a nice big Balrog made, I'll work on a King plushie first, cause he's my favorite ^^