The Mother of All Cave Story Questions

May 27, 2009 at 10:45 AM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Now that's a theory worth posting. But there's a little problem with it. You see, there's no seeing in total darkness. Night-active creatures can see in darkness because their eyes are more sensitive than ours, so they need less light to see well. But there's no light in the underground unless there's some sort of light source. So unless the Mimigas "see" differently (e.g in infra-red, echolocation), which I highly doubt, they would see nothing but darkness.

May 27, 2009 at 9:40 PM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
T-Jack said:
Now that's a theory worth posting. But there's a little problem with it. You see, there's no seeing in total darkness. Night-active creatures can see in darkness because their eyes are more sensitive than ours, so they need less light to see well. But there's no light in the underground unless there's some sort of light source. So unless the Mimigas "see" differently (e.g in infra-red, echolocation), which I highly doubt, they would see nothing but darkness.

They live in the village because there's sources of light there, in their houses. Enough for them to see. The sand zone is considered dangerous not only because of the immense danger of it, but because there's not light sources to be had and they'd just sorta clunk around.

Curly not needing light, like Quote, and Jenka's fireplace is out. Jenka must obviously then be blind, and the Colons, being raised in total blackness developed their other senses. Same with the Jenka's pooches.

May 27, 2009 at 9:42 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Hahah

Captain Fabulous said:
Lowell, it is possible to overthink Cave Story. You are doing it. Just go with "there's lights we can't see" or "the rocks glow but Pixel used some artistic license with Sandaime".
Um, that's kinda the point of this thread. To think. There is no over-thinking, as there isn't really a definite answer.
Why don't you contribute more, instead of being so down-ish. =P
If you're going to be serious about what you just posted {I said something like that too, but as a joke}, then you shouldn't be in the theories section....

Also, Fire, if Jenka's blind, why does she take the care to wear glasses...?

May 27, 2009 at 9:44 PM
Banned
VoidMage_Lowell said:
Um, that's kinda the point of this thread. To think. There is no over-thinking, as there isn't really a definite answer.
Why don't you contribute more, instead of being so down-ish. =P
If you're going to be serious about what you just posted {I said something like that too, but as a joke}, then you shouldn't be in the theories section....

Also, Fire, if Jenka's blind, why does she take the care to wear glasses...?

Well since Quote and Curly have some strange and futuristic vision not requiring ANY LIGHT WHATSOEVER, the colors would obviously be screwy. This might account for the colors of the enemies and caves, and even why the Sakamotos' hair is green. Obviously Jenka's glasses are actually black (for the message, I AM BLIND. DO NOT PUT THINGS IN FRONT OF ME.), to SHOW that she is actually blind.

Don't think I didn't think about these things while I was away.

May 27, 2009 at 9:45 PM
Been here way too long...
The doctor wears glasses, and he's blind.
mimigas wear sweatshirts, but don't need em.
you wear pants, but really? They're more of a fashion statement.
=P

posted same time as fire. He's probably more awesome then I am.

May 27, 2009 at 9:47 PM
Banned
Thank you, Lace. Obviously the mimigas have a sense of modesty. Hence clothing. They don't wear pants because they don't need to. No one else would be able to see them, right?

May 27, 2009 at 9:51 PM
Banned
JacobX891 said:
If the doctor is blind, does that make him the most handicapable cripple of all time?

How else is he crippled? Blindness isn't really a too serious handicap, either...

May 27, 2009 at 10:22 PM
This Troper
OBJECTION!​

First, why does Kanpachi fish in total darkness? He has no light source with him. Second, how do they grow plants without light? The same goes for the grass in Grasstown. Third, how was Toroko able to see Quote in total darkness? In fact, how was anybody able to do that? Fourth, "sense of modesty" and "No one else would be able to see them"? Even in the same post? Even though you quite explicitly stated that someone would be able to see them because they had lights in their houses? Did you really think it all that through? And last, strange and futuristic vision not requiring ANY LIGHT WHATSOEVER? The word "vision" itself hints the need for light. And even if it was some sort of not-really-vision, the what exactly it is? It has already been proved that there was nothing else that Quote could use to "see" thing like he does in the game. And why assign colors to what you see if you can't assign them correctly?

May 27, 2009 at 10:37 PM
Banned
T-Jack said:
OBJECTION!​

First, why does Kanpachi fish in total darkness? He has no light source with him. Second, how do they grow plants without light? The same goes for the grass in Grasstown. Third, how was Toroko able to see Quote in total darkness? In fact, how was anybody able to do that? Fourth, "sense of modesty" and "No one else would be able to see them"? Even in the same post? Even though you quite explicitly stated that someone would be able to see them because they had lights in their houses? Did you really think it all that through? And last, strange and futuristic vision not requiring ANY LIGHT WHATSOEVER? The word "vision" itself hints the need for light. And even if it was some sort of not-really-vision, the what exactly it is? It has already been proved that there was nothing else that Quote could use to "see" thing like he does in the game. And why assign colors to what you see if you can't assign them correctly?

No one besides the other mimigas would be able to see the mimigas. The sources of light in their houses would be enough for them to see each other, which is why they wore sweaters, or in Jack's case, just to look cool. The lights in their houses being FIRE.

T-Jack: FUTURE.

May 27, 2009 at 10:40 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Hrmp

Fire1052 said:
No one besides the other mimigas would be able to see the mimigas. The sources of light in their houses would be enough for them to see each other, which is why they wore sweaters, or in Jack's case, just to look cool. The lights in their houses being FIRE.

T-Jack: FUTURE.
But, again, how would they grow their flowers?
Their one and only source of nourishment?

There must be some sort of light, somewhere.
There's just too many things that rely on light in Cave Story...

May 27, 2009 at 10:42 PM
Banned
VoidMage_Lowell said:
But, again, how would they grow their flowers?
Their one and only source of nourishment?

There must be some sort of light, somewhere.
There's just too many things that rely on light in Cave Story...

They are NOT flowers, they are in fact, mushrooms. They just don't know it yet.

May 27, 2009 at 10:43 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
D=

Fire1052 said:
They are NOT flowers, they are in fact, mushrooms. They just don't know it yet.
Let's not get silly, =P
Mushrooms would require something to decay to live off of.
And what about the grass? Both in the garden AND Grasstown/Bushland?
Obviously not fungus, there =P

May 27, 2009 at 10:45 PM
Banned
Uh-huh... You really have got a long way to go. Listen up, Lowell! The
world ends with you. If you want to enjoy life, expand your world. You gotta
push your horizons out as far as they’ll go. Now go on! Get!

May 27, 2009 at 10:50 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
=D

Fire1052 said:
Uh-huh... You really have got a long way to go. Listen up, Lowell! The
world ends with you. If you want to enjoy life, expand your world. You gotta
push your horizons out as far as they’ll go. Now go on! Get!
What a completely off-topic post =D

Seriously, there has to be light in Cave Story, on account of Bushland/Grasstown, the Plantation, and the garden...
And all of the random weeds and such, elsewhere...

May 27, 2009 at 10:52 PM
Banned
Maybe it's not grass, but lots of parasitic worms eating away downward at the island (alive.)?

May 27, 2009 at 10:54 PM
This Troper
Okay, now that's just too much to assume in order to believe your theory, Fire.

May 27, 2009 at 10:54 PM
Banned
How would you know? (At whatshername.)

T-Jack said:
Okay, now that's just too much to assume in order to believe your theory, Fire.

You say that about every theory. Ever.
And what's there really to assume? That grass isn't actually grass? One thing? One is too much?

May 27, 2009 at 10:56 PM
This Troper
I only said that about two theories, including this one. Half the characters blind? Flowers being mushrooms? Grass being worms? I'm sorry, that's just too much.

May 27, 2009 at 11:03 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Oh jeeze..

Yeah, gotta agree with Jack...
When you throw out a random theory like the "The Grass is parasitic worms eating the Island downwards", it seems like you're just saying it for kicks.
Very little thoughts back up the theory, and it's pretty outrageous, when you combine it with the other theories that it's tied to....
Compared to other, more logical ones, anyways....

Why are they parasitic worms? Why do they act exactly like grass? Why are they eating the Island? Why are they located in a place called Grasstown/Bushland? {That part kills the theory =P}