The first time you played Cave Story...

Jan 27, 2008 at 9:53 AM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
How was it?

Before you read please note: Don't wonder about my Sue fetish. It actually was like I was being obsessed by fell in love with her. XD I guess that's the same thing some fans have got with toroko or even King.

Well I played Cave Story first in december 2005, when I was 14. I got it from a magazine, called Screenfun, it was presented very lame there in my opinion. So I installed it along with some other games, normally I test the installed games alphabetical. I just played Cave Story the first time, I saw the game and I thought: "Oh cool it seems to be a rpg like game just with a jump and run engine.", of course it was also cool to level up the weapons instead of the character itself tough I was kinda surprised that level 3 was max.

So I played after reaching mimiga village. "Sue? Yeah, I know her. That's the cute girl who stays cooped up in Arthur's house all the time, right?" Hrm, cute? I don't know how come, but I actually knew that she would be my favourite character, and indeed after reaching the egg corridor she was very cute :D

What attracted my attention was also that king looks kinda like knuckles. So I played trough egg corridor, giving Sue my answer and I was kinda disappointed at the answer she gave me :o I was for some attraction points lol. So I returned back and saw that the "creep-eyed freak", (the word made me lol) caged sue.

Grasstown, here I come! Reaching Chaco's house and having "sex" with her. Yep, I found that secret the first time I played Cave Story, I was actually like:

wtf?!

Sex? SEX?! SEX!! lmao

After getting the fireball, the jellyfish juice and killing balrog, I just noticed that Cave Story is not the only game I wanted to test, so I left the game for about 10 minutes to see that the other games are [editing] [edit] because they [edit] [edit] [editing] [edit]. In other words: OTHER GAMES SUCK, MUST GO BACK AND PLAY CAVE STORY! It is such a wonderful game!

I've just got the bomb ready and boooooooom! Kazuma is free! b.t.w. Balfrog was a amusing boss. I'am wondering about the ideas Pixel got. Kazuma is calling me a... Young man? Well okay, Booster joins us too! Actually first I thought that Booster is not a person that you can thrust, mainly because he said he never met Quote before and I thought he was lying.

So back to arthurs house, SUE IS FREE zOMG! *talks to sue* Well, Sandzone here I come! And no, I didn't got the Bubbler. I never knew there was a Snake, a Spur, a Bubbler and a Nemesis before visiting the forums. Dumb me. Anyhow, I was just at sandzone seeing Curly and thought that Sue is cuter. LOL! Well, after beating her and trading the Polar Star for the Machine Gun, beating omega, talking to jenka, finding the dogs and talking to Jenka again, I was just entering the storehouse.

Actually I thought there might be a method to have toroko and king not killed, because I was sad when they got killed, I didn't cried though. But well, I was just thinking that there seems to be no method to not have them killed. I've just beaten Toroko.

Labyrinth here I come! Nothing special here, just killed Monster X and the Core... The Core was my favourite boss, I loved the music. And yes, I got the Booster 0.8 so Curly and Booster died too >_< That was sad too :/

After I was back in the Mimiga Village I was wondering. Hellooooo? Someone theeeeere? Nothing, just a echo. Oh well... So I've gone to the Egg Coridor. Seeing Kazuma there, and he said that Sue was taken by Misery. Now I didn't knew before Misery was that witch. (Yes I know it's wrong, but my english sucked when I was 14.) So I thought Sue was dead... Oh no! Not Suuuuue ;___; But I never gave up, so I was climbing the outer wall, but before I was watching the "bad ending" which was kinda lame and not very entertaining.

So I was there at the plantation, with actually kinda nice music, the title music! And there she was, SUE IS ALIVE ZOMG! After getting into Jail, reading the letter, I talked to Mahin. A love letter? Too bad it wasn't one :( :D

So I went to Sue's mother and letting her finish that rocket, I've got up to the final Cave it was pretty hard, I couldn't finish it because... My father said: Go to bed. And yep, no joke, I cried! That is such a wonderful game, why not letting me play it trough the end? ;_______; "We have got a visitor and he is tired, he want to sleep! It is half past 4 AM!" Oh fuck- Played this game for more than 8 hours! ZOMG I WANT TO PLAY IT MORE ;___;

End of the story...

...to be continued? :o

Jan 27, 2008 at 9:55 AM
Been here way too long...
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Ah this will be fun i'll post it when i got more time.

Jan 27, 2008 at 10:03 AM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
King does look like Knuckles. =P But King is still my favourite cast member. He plays an important role. Giving you the sword before he dies.

Jan 27, 2008 at 12:44 PM
Starbound sucked sadly
funny when i first played it (around early 2005 i think) i liked it but didnt think too much of it ^^", but a day after christmas 2006 i was bored and i remembered the game and thought i give it a second go and then when i played it through i thought it was awesome as, and when watching the credits i saw the red demon and i thought "hey wait a sec i didnt fight him o_O" and then i checked a walkthrough and found out there was a hard mode so i decided to beat the game in hard straight after lol and from then i i absolutely loved the game XD and then a week later i joined this forum

lol sue fetish XD i'd like curly :D

Jan 27, 2008 at 12:54 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
I first played Cave Story at the advice of a friend. He was like 'Play Cave Story' and I was like 'k'. At first I was a bit miffed at plain title screen and how blocky Quote looked, and I immediately died about 10 times in a row trying to get past the spikes that lead to the first life capsule >.> I got the Machine Gun, but eventually I got stuck on MonsterX and decided to restart and aim for the Spur, because I thought I couldn't save Curly (once I remembered who she was >.>). The game was so much more challenging then, unlike now where I'm so used to the game engine and bosses from playing so many mods.

I thought it was fun the first time I guess, I liked the level and enemy designs, and the simple but involving plot. This was before I was really 'into' games, so I didn't really pay much attention to the music or give the plot much thought, it was only after a time that I came to realize what a great game it really was.

Now that I am 'into' games, however, I just tend to rush through them with a walkthrough, without paying too much attention to the plot, rather than taking the time to enjoy them... I really must change my play ethic, methinx... *sticks it in sig to remind self*

Jan 27, 2008 at 2:53 PM
Well i found cave story thanks to the very image in my sig, I noticed someone had it as their avatar in the VGMix forum and i clicked it which lead to the CS remix site and i found the main CS page somewhere in that site. I read a bit about the story and characters, and found the story pretty interesting so i downloaded it.

It didn't take long to learn red spikes = death in the first cave. Anyway made it to the town, noticed all the boring mimiga characters.. looked around the town abit, kicked balrogs ass, then went off for egg corridor.

I kind of figured the white thing at the bottom meant instant death but that didn't stop me from missing a jump and landing right on the white thing. After dying a few times to the white thing, I got to Sue getting the crap beaten out of her from Igor. I laughed to my self and continued on, saved Sue, made my way back, I wasn't really impressed at this point. The best thing so far was the music.

Now I was going to Grasstown and this is when it started getting good, probably because those stupid looking ghosts were so fun to kill. I didn't know about the Chaco thing then.. I remember laughing when Balrog squashed that obselete piece of crap into the ground. I spent like 2 hours in Grasstown because i didn't know you had to talk to Kazuma to get the gum key. Balfrog was pretty hard cuz i wasn't too good at using the fans back then. (Im pro now after playing Jenka's nightmare).

Soo went back to town went to Sand Zone and finally saw Curly, I was eager to see when she'd enter the picture because she seemed a cool character from what i read on the website. I was dissapointed at how easy she was to beat.. she deserved better than that. Sand zone was a real pain in the ass so much back tracking for that hag and her dogs. So I killed Toroko without hesitation, took king's sword then I was sent to the labyrinth apparently.

Labyrinth was a cool section i've all ways liked "trash heap" stages in games. So I got the Cure-all and fought Pooh-Black. I thought it was Balrog possessed by satan at first. Monster X was hell when i first fought him.. must've died like 5 times. I kill him without damage nowadays though. So i took the booster from Prof. Boosters corpse and when to the room with the rock. The scene before you fight balrog for the last time was mildly humurous.

Anyway my second favorite part of the game (first being hell) The labyrinth fight. Thats where I really started to like curly, she kicked ass in there. I was pretty smashed up from balrog so i let her take out all the bad guys while i hid behind a crate. And the music was so cool too. As soon as I entered the shutter room I litterally said to myself "Curly's gonna die" the music was so ominous. The Core was pretty hard.. (I still have some trouble with it) but finally killed it after a couple of drownings. I must've clicked curly's corpse 10 times before realizing she isn't coming with me. It's at this point the game lost its innocence. Anyway i'm gonna stop here the rest wasn't that spectacular to me, until I learned how to save Curly 7 months later and made it to hell a few days ago.. hell is so addictive.

Jan 27, 2008 at 6:46 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
S.P. is such a Sue fan :o

I can't remember how I discovered Cave Story. I'd have it look it up in my IM history... It was probably from Romhacking.net or insertcredit.com... Oh, wait I remember now.

I heard about Cave Story a long time ago, when it first came out. But, due to the graphics or whatnot, I never bothered to give it the time of day. Afterall, I'm not a big fan of freeware games, especially older ones. At least I wasn't one at that point.
On the other hand I've been involved with japanese to english game translation communities. AND on one particular site, [Plight of the Translator, for Ys translations] a certain member named Skywelse [aka the creator of these fourms?] had a signature advertising Cave Story. And something or maybe Skywelse convinced me to try it out.

Well here are my original words :
SkyeWelse!!!!!!!!!!!
You're signature ... has a link to a game called... "Cave Story"
I just wanted to say; wow lol I passed this game up a lot but downloaded it and am playing it right now...
Wow! lol It's fun lol

*goes back to playing=*
I think I started playing Cave Story on this computer at this house in April 2006. I quickly became addicted to the Cave Story style. Fun music, interesting characters, anime influences, good story... oddities abound..! Every little while something new and exciting would happen! BALROG! The Mimiga..! Sue's personality! Dragons???? Robots? IGOR???? Everything was so odd, yet everything seemed to fit together perfectly.
I know I died a few times in First Cave lol Probably once to a critter, and a few times to spikes :(
In Grasstown, I know I had to touch Santa's Deathtrap. So I did. [I saved first!!]
I think I played straight up until the labyrinth. I simply could not believe Toroko and King died... I started the game over a few times to see if I couldn't change the outcome somehow. Because, the game as Kaeso said earlier I believe, lost its innocence there.

I had to start over several times after that, because I ended up travelling, but one late night at around 4 AM!!! I played all the way to the very end. [well not Hell! That came later.] I was really impressed by Cave Story. It is without a doubt the best freeware game I have played now and then; and could/should easily make it with the big league.

Jan 27, 2008 at 9:51 PM
Source Splicer, 2nd Class
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
The first time I played Cave Story? Well, be expecting a long post...

After saving and exiting the starting point room, I went to the right and got hit by the critter there, mostly because it just blends in so well, and the rest because I wasn't expecting it. I passed the spikes (Nearly hit one on the ceiling, though) and got the Life Capsule and Polar Star. Then, it was off to Mimiga Village. I noticed the message about "something behind the fireplace" in the Assembly Hall, but I had to wait until later before I could get it. Anyways, I battled with Balrog and immediately went to the graveyard, where I got killed by the Gravekeeper... I didn't save after the Balrog battle, so I had to do that all over again and and save afterwards before entering the graveyard again. I got the key and entered the Egg Corridor area.

Despite the fair warning about the "Bolt of Doom" on the bottom, even I was taken down by it about 3 or more times. Not only that, I decided to not get that Life Capsule around the lower left corner. I kind of struggled with getting the other one, too, but I'm a persistent bugger... Anyways, after figuring out what I had to do to bring the forcefield down (Which I figured would also be instant death, but later turned out to be merely 1 damage), I battled with Igor, using all the missiles I had first, then resorting to the Polar Star. I wanted to save in the building next to Egg 00's room where Sue was, but I couldn't open the door until I talked to Sue first... Anyways, yeah, I was also surprised by her reaction when I told her that I saved her. Before I made it back to the teleporter, I got zapped one more time by the thing at the bottom again...

Fortunately, Grasstown didn't give me too much trouble... Until the fans, that is... Fell into the Deathtrap Spikes a few times when trying to get to the Gum Base. Balfrog was really unexpected, but enjoyable, nevertheless. I ended up missing the event with Chaco, too...

Then, after getting the Bubbler in the Mimiga Village Fireplace, it was off to the Sand Zone. Upon defeating Curly, I traded the Polar Star for the Machinegun and carried around Jenka's dog (I don't recall the name) with me, even when passing through Sandcroc territory and when battling Omega. The one that took me the longest to get was the one in the dark room, because I didn't use the Map System, even though I had it with me... I wonder why the 4th dog you bring back to Jenka says "Boooop" when you talk with him/her? Is it a tracking beacon that allows Balrog to easily find Jenka's house so he could take the Storehouse Key? Anyways, I make my way over to the now unlocked Storehouse and find myself in a confrontation with Toroko after the Doctor and Misery leave the area. I almost got killed here, but I managed to pull off the battle with only 2 life left. King gives me his sword before his death and I exit the Storehouse, only to be pinned down by Balrog...

Then, due to Misery's teleportation magic, to the Labyrinth I am sent. I used the Machinegun Lv. 3 to fly my way up to the door control at the top. It seems one of the blue robots was quickly taken down by the Gaudi in the next area... Naturally, after getting the Clinic Key, I went to get the Cure-All and battled with Pooh Black. I used the Machinegun Lv. 3 again to get the Arms Barrier and saved after giving the Cure-All. Of course, I really had a heck of a time with Monster X... It took me about 5 or 6 attempts just to finally get past that point... Then, I notice Booster falling from above and go speak with him... Least did I realize what would happen upon doing so... After that, I go to the Boulder Chamber and end up battling Balrog once more. His missiles were especially tough to take down, so I ended up avoiding them, instead... I didn't have much life after this battle, either, so I saved and got some extra health from some Gaudi eggs(?) that were broken open. After the battle through plenty of Armored Gaudis and Buyobuyos, I used the teleporter and saved before entering the Core's area. Although I managed to defeat the Core on my 1st try (My more recent attempts end up with a few drownings, though...), it kind of worried me a bit about the rising water part, and even when I used the Lv. 3 Machinegun to stay at the top, it still didn't help... I got an uneasy feeling in my throat after Shutter 5 closed behind me permanently... The BGM when used in that area, "Geothermal", still gives me that uneasy feeling to this day, even upon playing on the "Path to a better ending"...

Then, the waterway... There's so many hidden powerups here that can be uncovered by firing your weapons in certain spots. The missile powerups hidden over some spikes are especially hard to to get... As for the Ironhead battle, I didn't pull it off with no damage, but I didn't struggle with it, either.

After returning to the now empty Mimiga Village, it was back to Egg Corridor for me. It definitely was a lot more different, now, but after a few attempts (I got crushed by a Press along the way...) I made it to the Outer Wall and skipped by the Bad Ending altogether.

EDIT: It took me awhile to get to know the Plantation area, and yes, I've fallen victim to the sideways Presses, too... After I talked to nearly all of the Mimigas in the area, The Teleporter Room key was available in the bucket and I was able to continue on with the remaining part of the area.

Last Cave I really struggled with back then... And this was even the normal one, too. I can't exactly remember how many times I had to do this area over, but good thing those Red Bats just keep coming...

And last, but not least, the Balcony area... More enraged Mimigas, including the "return" of Igor. I just simply ran by them all, but i remembered to save in the building along the way... It took me a few tries to get past the multiple boss encounters, but I finally pulled it off (Darn Goldfish Missiles...) and made my way out. I always seemed to get hit by a block or two before the escape... The rest, well, at least with everyone who has completed the game at least once, we know what happens.

I first discovered Cave Story through mentioning of it on VGMusic.com, then looking it up with Wikipedia, but I tread lightly there, due to plot spoilers. It wasn't too long after that I came across the original tribute site (Before it moved) and learned more about it. When I had a better Internet Connection, I downloaded it, got a translation patch, and enjoyed playing such an awesome game.

Wow, X-Calibar stayed up until 4 AM playing Cave Story? I've done that, too! More than once, to be honest... (No upstaging intended)

Jan 27, 2008 at 10:57 PM
Starbound sucked sadly
the longest i stayed up for cavestory was about 2 30am(for anime 4am :( ), also i forgot on the second play through(the year and a bit later time) it took me like 20 - 30 mins to find sues pendant because i thought i knew where it was ^^" i was pretty pissed off by then, but i continued on :o. yeah i wasn't to sad about curly being left behind at first but in the alright ending when i say curly lying there as the island was falling then i felt pretty sad for her :/

Jan 28, 2008 at 1:04 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I learned about Cave Story from someone in a small IRC channel I had, back in summer of '06 or so. I got it but didn't really play it much, but the next summer I remembered it and checked it out and found myself pretty hooked. :D

I didn't get into the forums and some editing though until recently when Xaser kind of led me here out of interest. I haven't really done much editing myself, though I have been slowly making a strange mod I call "Doorkutsu" for now. :p

Jan 28, 2008 at 1:27 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I found it on GameHippo, and played it, loved it, and played it sommore.

Jan 28, 2008 at 7:10 AM
Slacker
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I got a link from a webcomic I read (Mac Hall) so I decided to try it out because it looked very interesting. I enjoyed everything about the game, beat it all the way through on my first sitting, and was kind of depressed at how it all ended. The normal ending is pretty tragic...

Then I learned about the secret ending... etc etc.

I love everything about Cave Story, it's too good.

Jan 28, 2008 at 7:57 AM
Respwnt
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
A friend of mine told me about CS. Well, it was I who recommended acid-play to him, but I never bothered to check out the top-rateds. I really don't remember much what I did on my first playthrough, but I'm pretty sure I didn't die too much early on. It still amazes me that I knew the lion's mouth was a doorway in the first cave, but I never noticed anything strange about the door on my first try. I was like, "wtf" at the Balrog battle, which I [ only just] managed on my first try. I never leveled up until I reached the Egg Corridor which was real fun. The ID Card's location I'd figured out by sheer luck, and I didn't really bother to find out what the red terminals meant. The Igor fight I found relatively difficult, but I didn't have to lose any sleep over it.

To be continued...

Jan 28, 2008 at 8:06 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
yeah acid-plays where i found it. it looked shit but the fact it got 99% intriged me about 2 weeks later i tried it (read my prev post)
i love acid play it fuels my freeware game play XD

Jan 28, 2008 at 8:37 AM
I got a bit angry when curly died, the only time i've ever come close to shedding a tear was the end of the episode of futurama: Jurrasic Bark. Yeah but i probably didn't react that much when curly died because i was expecting it to happen after i heard geothermal.

Jan 28, 2008 at 9:09 AM
Slacker
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Roonil Wazlib said:
Am I the only one to have cried when Curly died, though?

I was super upset with the whole killing Toroko...and then King died right after. Then Curly saving you after drowning was really upsetting at well...and right after you figure it's just hopeless, the door closes behind you slowly reminding you that someone sacrificed themselves to save you. When you get the normal ending without saving her, and it's showing the island falling, you get to see her again still dead in the Core room.

Few games make me not see this of stuff coming and make me actually act emotionally to it. Maybe I'm weird for liking the normal ending more than the "good" ending...I just tire of seeing the typical easy to predict "everything turns out fine in the end" stuff.

Cave Story rocks.

Jan 28, 2008 at 9:18 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Well uh... I don't think I was ever that sad when Curly died because I always would just freeze and hit reset if her life systems stopped functioning... Actually I may have played further a few times, but I believe I restarted the game at that point after desperately not wanting any more characters to die...! I couldn't bear to have Curly die, I mean we just lost Booster as well :/

On the other hand with Toroko and King, I was much sadder because I wasn't expecting it and because they actually die for no good reason. And all that rushing to try to beat them to the flowers and save Toroko was for nothing. I really did try to find a way to save them ... I MAY have shed a tear then... although it seems like so long ago now and I can't really recall [first playthrough in 2006]

..................... BTW Kaeso.... what's with the nice Curly Brace signature.. and then under it.. "Death to Mimigas!!" lol...

EDIT: I found the "good" ending not what I was expecting.... The whole flying into the sunset with Balrog joining you on retirement, was UNEXPECTED..!!! That kinda left me with a yay and a what just happened... mixed feeling.