Starting a Sue's Workshop clone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 2, 2009 at 12:19 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: Jul 15, 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 6213
Age: 38
S. P. Gardebiter said:
For you maybe, but not for the whole programming scene.
"Free Software" is a widely known term, for everyone who grappled with computers, more than just checking out little forums about indie games.

Plus "Free Software" is much more than only "Open Source Software".
"Open source" is the widely used term, unless you have had your head under a rock. How is someone is right about terminology when no-one agrees with you and every creator of "open source" software I have seen over the years uses the term "open source" (I have seen my fair share, but I doubt you would take my word on that).

Celtic Minstrel said:
Oh really? How so?

Let me guess... it also includes freeware? :rolleyes:
CM: 1
SP: 0
:D
 
Feb 2, 2009 at 12:41 AM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: Dec 30, 2005
Location: Germany
Posts: 3218
Age: 32
Ever cared to read my posts?

S. P. Gardebiter said:

Seems to be both of you are rather ignorant, noone of you even cared to read the whole license, did you?

Celtic Minstrel said:
Oh really? How so?

Let me guess... it also includes freeware? :rolleyes:

No, it doesn't have to be freeware, you can sell it and it's still open source.
Plus if you modify it and share it with others it still needs to be open source.

So again:
Open source is not the same as "Free Software".
 
Feb 2, 2009 at 1:26 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: Jul 15, 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 6213
Age: 38
How does a FSF recommendation define common use?

Say either "open source" or "software libre" because "free (unrestricted) software" and "free (doesn't cost anything) software" will always be confused and never enter common use.

Also if you bothered to read the wiki you linked to, the term "free software" fell out of common use back in 1998 due to the "freedom/cost ambiguity of the word 'free'".

Wikipedia said:
From 1998 onward, alternative terms for free software came into use. The most common are "software libre", "free and open source software" ("FOSS") and "free, libre and open-source software" ("FLOSS").

Oh, and a link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_terms_for_free_software
 
Feb 2, 2009 at 1:39 AM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: Dec 30, 2005
Location: Germany
Posts: 3218
Age: 32
Okay now again:

Open source is not "Free Software".

andwhyisit said:
Also if you bothered to read the wiki you linked to, the term "free software" fell out of common use back in 1998 due to the "freedom/cost ambiguity of the word 'free'".

That's weird because it's still common used in several Linux forums/communitys. (I have a lot of friends who use Linux and they still use the term "Free Software".)
 
Feb 2, 2009 at 2:16 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: Jan 4, 2008
Location: Lingerie, but also, like, fancy curtains
Posts: 3054
...
Demo?
*hides*
 
Feb 2, 2009 at 3:30 AM
Junior Member
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Join Date: Dec 6, 2008
Location: Some place full of trees that irk me
Posts: 22
Why not just call it "Open Sourceware"or "Open Freeware"? >.> It's a pseudo portmanteau of the terms "Open Source" and "Freeware".
 
Feb 2, 2009 at 3:35 AM
He who lurks beneath the posts.
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Join Date: May 26, 2008
Location: Over there
Posts: 280
Age: 34
how about i get a cookie and you all keep talking about the thing i could care less about:p
 
Feb 2, 2009 at 4:28 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: Jul 15, 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 6213
Age: 38
S. P. Gardebiter said:
Okay now again:

Open source is not "Free Software".
Then call it "unrestricted open source software" or something, maybe say something like "I may release the source code under the GPL licence". Your sentence about making it "free software" made me worried that you were originally planning to charge us all for it.

What is left to do before CL gets a release?
 
Feb 2, 2009 at 2:12 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: Dec 30, 2005
Location: Germany
Posts: 3218
Age: 32
andwhyisit said:
Then call it "unrestricted open source software" or something, maybe say something like "I may release the source code under the GPL licence".

How about: You stop telling me, how I should call it? I will still call it "Free Software".
Plus you don't release the source code under GPL, you release the program under GPL.

andwhyisit said:
What is left to do before CL gets a release?

The whole graphicial thing.
There won't be a demo yet.
Like I posted before I have trouble with the Windows GDI.
 
Feb 2, 2009 at 5:51 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Join Date: Mar 1, 2008
Location: Grasstown
Posts: 1435
S. P. Gardebiter said:
No, it doesn't have to be freeware, you can sell it and it's still open source.
Plus if you modify it and share it with others it still needs to be open source.
True, technically "open source" does not imply "free of cost". But think about it – if the source is publicly available free of cost, how could you expect to make any money on it? People would simply download the source for free and compile it themselves, rather than paying for the precompiled version.

It's probably possible, but not very realistic.

S. P. Gardebiter said:
Open source is not "Free Software".
Uh... yes it is. It is free of cost, is it not? Unless you're positing a program where you can buy the source code...

S. P. Gardebiter said:
Plus you don't release the source code under GPL, you release the program under GPL.
If you release the program under the GPL, the license requires that the source be released under the same license. So, you need to release both if you're using the GPL.
 
Feb 2, 2009 at 10:06 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: Dec 30, 2005
Location: Germany
Posts: 3218
Age: 32
Celtic Minstrel said:
True, technically "open source" does not imply "free of cost". But think about it – if the source is publicly available free of cost, how could you expect to make any money on it? People would simply download the source for free and compile it themselves, rather than paying for the precompiled version.

No, you release the source with the program. So if you sell the program you get the source, but you won't getting the source without the program for free.
It's much more than that anyway. If you modify it you still have to release it as Open Source after you did so.

Celtic Minstrel said:
If you release the program under the GPL, the license requires that the source be released under the same license. So, you need to release both if you're using the GPL.

Yeah both, sorry.
 
Feb 2, 2009 at 11:37 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Join Date: Mar 1, 2008
Location: Grasstown
Posts: 1435
S. P. Gardebiter said:
No, you release the source with the program. So if you sell the program you get the source, but you won't getting the source without the program for free.
It's much more than that anyway. If you modify it you still have to release it as Open Source after you did so.
Still seems kind of silly, but sure, I suppose it could work.
 
Feb 7, 2009 at 9:29 AM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: Dec 30, 2005
Location: Germany
Posts: 3218
Age: 32
diph.php


You people might interested on that :)

Celtic Minstrel said:
Still seems kind of silly, but sure, I suppose it could work.

I'm releasing it for free, but what if I'm going to sell it for 50 Euros?
Someone is going to buy it for 50 Euros and then decides to share with everyone. The GNU Liecense would be okay with that and I got my payment for the programming, so whats the problem? :p
 
Feb 7, 2009 at 3:30 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Join Date: Mar 1, 2008
Location: Grasstown
Posts: 1435
*shrugs* If it's a one-time payment you're after, then it would make more sense to release it under a proprietary license (as freeware though) and then ask for money to change the license to GPL or whatever.

Have you actually read the GPL?
 
Feb 7, 2009 at 5:31 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: Dec 30, 2005
Location: Germany
Posts: 3218
Age: 32
Celtic Minstrel said:
*shrugs* If it's a one-time payment you're after, then it would make more sense to release it under a proprietary license (as freeware though) and then ask for money to change the license to GPL or whatever.

Have you actually read the GPL?

Yes I have read it, otherwise I wouldn't think about releasing it as GPL would I? <_<

Plus I have no idea where you did get the idea that I'm going to sell this, so you should shut up about it before I'm really going to think about selling this :)
 
Feb 7, 2009 at 10:35 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Join Date: Mar 1, 2008
Location: Grasstown
Posts: 1435
I never said you were, I said if you were with the assumption that that was not true.
 
Feb 8, 2009 at 12:33 AM
Vanished.
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Join Date: Apr 5, 2008
Location:
Posts: 776
Geeee stop complaining about freaking license stuff.

Nice work that far.
We do want more :)
 
May 25, 2009 at 12:02 AM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: Dec 30, 2005
Location: Germany
Posts: 3218
Age: 32
You might be interested, that this project is still alive.
Plus it will have "projects", so it will edit the project and not the .exe itself :p
So it can't break anything. After you're done with work you will patch an original Doukutsu.exe and get your mod.
 
May 25, 2009 at 12:28 AM
Assistance
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Join Date: May 7, 2009
Location:
Posts: 552
Pretty bad ass editor that you're working on.

Can't wait to use this when you're done!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top