So I restarted a hack...

Jul 11, 2008 at 10:53 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Wow... if you do even a quarter of things you said your gonna do, this will be a epic mod!

Jul 11, 2008 at 12:00 PM
Hoxtilicious
Let me say that hacking npcs is very easy actually (You just need to know how to change X/Y positions and so on)

Well, good luck with your mod Rune, sounds like alot of work actually :D

Jul 11, 2008 at 3:11 PM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Throwing stars are teh win. I love CLose ranged weapons. Especially swords. Especially EXTREMELY-LARGE-compared-to-user 2 handed swords.

:D

Oh and don't forget to include your dam cool custom bosses! :D
And how about equippable items that change your appearance?
And how about buffs that increase max hp for a certain amount of time and such?

Edit - Gots new idea

Why not make it such that if you repeatedly press the attack button, you do a combo move. Like... when you press the button one time, it does the first slash. 2 times, first slash and another different slash. And so on. Seen that in Rakion and other games. COOL :D

editty- another idea lol

Issit possible to make the weapons such that they require you to press keys in a certain order very quickly to execute them? Like special skills that require key combos. Lol yeah I'm cliche. Play too many MMORPGs O_O

That'd be so cool... (dreams)

Jul 11, 2008 at 4:05 PM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Issit possible to make the weapons such that they require you to press keys in a certain order very quickly to execute them? Like special skills that require key combos. Lol yeah I'm cliche. Play too many MMORPGs O_O
It'd feel a little weird to do that in a Cave Story mod. :/

Jul 11, 2008 at 4:18 PM
Respwnt
jcys810 said:
It'd feel a little weird to do that in a Cave Story mod. :/
lol true. But Rune said that he was gonna include a run key too (in Original Sin) so he might know how to 2 different attack keys for different attack styles (like punch/kick for melee; pierce/swing for sword; etc.) that can be used as combo.

I know I'm sounding like I'm kissing Rune's butt, but he's pretty confident of doing all that he's planning so I came forth with these suggestions.

Jul 11, 2008 at 6:34 PM
Slacker
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Once again Rune, you leave me at a loss for words : O

Jul 11, 2008 at 10:49 PM
The Bartender
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Roonil Wazlib said:
But Rune said that he was gonna include a run key too (in Original Sin) so he might know how to 2 different attack keys for different attack styles (like punch/kick for melee; pierce/swing for sword; etc.) that can be used as combo.

Hmm... I forgot about the run key. I think I can work that in, though. I was considering giving my dudes some special "moves" like that so this would be good.

Using multiple weapons by switching with a key isn't impossible, of course, but I haven't looked at that part yet in the code so I'm not sure what it would imply. I'm keeping Metalogz's idea in mind, though I'm not sure I'm going to do it.

The rapid-attack thing is a good idea, and already partly planned: the Fighter (might rename this guy to Rogue...)'s katars and various other weapons attack very rapidly when you mash the attack button. The original idea was just to give it a VERY fast attack speed, but going that extra mile will just make the hack seem more "polished" when it's done.

Roonil Wazlib said:
I know I'm sounding like I'm kissing Rune's butt, but he's pretty confident of doing all that he's planning so I came forth with these suggestions.

Well, don't do any ass-kissing then. :rolleyes: I hate that kind of attention. It's all about the code... and the hot female groupies (...wtf are they? :( )

Keep suggestions coming though, I've already taken one or two in serious consideration (I'm going to go through with the class level up thing) and they're all great ideas. This hack is still just a fledgling little thing and still needs a bit of guidance before it can stand on its own two feet - I don't see why I shouldn't let the CS modding/hacking community have a say in this. :o

@Chaddy:
Trust me, this hack won't disappoint you. Unless you'd be disappointed by not getting to play it within the next 24 hours, in which case... well... sorry bro. :D

Jul 12, 2008 at 12:18 AM
The Bartender
With a bit of luck, I'll have a demo out in a few weeks. I hope to have multiple classes by then, maybe the level/money system, but probably not much else.

Mind you, I still haven't begun work on it other than changing the load screen rect and image. :rolleyes: And planning/design document-making. I am, however, on vacation as of an hour ago :D

Jul 12, 2008 at 9:18 AM
Slacker
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
RuneLancer said:
@Chaddy:
Trust me, this hack won't disappoint you. Unless you'd be disappointed by not getting to play it within the next 24 hours, in which case... well... sorry bro. :rolleyes:

Hahahah, please take all the time in the world : D I'd rather it be amazing than rushed. I'm just excited you came back to the forums and even more excited that you decided to create another mod :D

Jul 12, 2008 at 2:22 PM
Hoxtilicious
Me too actually, now I'm not the only active senior member :rolleyes:
You maybe remember me Runelancer, I was named ShInInG PhAnToM before D:
And my english was very bad :D

Jul 12, 2008 at 3:37 PM
Starbound sucked sadly
S. P. Gardebiter said:
Me too actually, now I'm not the only active senior member :rolleyes:

It still is

JOKING D: DONT HURT ME SP!

Jul 13, 2008 at 12:11 AM
The Bartender
S. P. Gardebiter said:
Me too actually, now I'm not the only active senior member :p
Oh come on, of course I know who you are. Wtf? lol :)

I've figured out where the code that switches between quote and mimiga-mask quote is located, as well as the quote-rendering code. Seems I'm well on my way to getting this to work!

Better start working on some sprite...

Jul 13, 2008 at 4:27 PM
The Bartender
diph.php

Admittedly, those are pretty "average"-looking sprites, but I haven't drawn at such a small scale in a while. ;)

Edit: Scaled 2x, btw.

Jul 13, 2008 at 4:39 PM
Hoxtilicious
Is it just me or are some of them indeed female looking? ;)
What about gender selection anyway?

Jul 13, 2008 at 7:16 PM
The Bartender
I suppose I could work in gender selection, but that would double the amount of sprites I'd have to do. So I made it about half-half.

Hrm... I'll think about it, actually.

Edit:
diph.php

Right now, I have the title screen up. Nothing too fancy - a full-screen title screen with relocated "new game / continue" options (for the heck of it.) I'm going to work on getting one of the spritesets functional in-game, then later I'll implant some means of picking the class/gender.

I intend to make a release, whatever point the hack is at, next weekend. ;)

Edit 2

So I have the info for this "bigger-than-16x16" stuff now... After some tweaking, it'll look juuust right.

Edit 3
Ok, I'm using my 16x24 sprites in-game now. Haven't tested collision detection too much though.

I'm going to recode the entire title screen. At first you'll be given the option to start a new game or to continue. Selecting "new game" will bring you to a second menu where you can pick your class, and then gender. Hitting cancel at any time brings you back to the previous menu.

Dunno what else I'll do to the title screen after that. I'm bound to have some spare code so maybe some particle system or other form of eye-candy is in order (ha, DirectDraw in assembly - beat that!)

Jul 14, 2008 at 10:18 AM
Justin-chan
Looks pretty sweet man. Cant wait for the next weekend.

Jul 14, 2008 at 12:45 PM
Luls
Epick. Can;t wait for more. And yay! Job-ups!

Oh btw Rune, is there a way/ are you going to make weapon/skill levels exceeed the normal 3 levels? It'd be cool to have more levels and variations of the same skill at different levels. :D

Jul 14, 2008 at 1:46 PM
The Bartender
That would mean coding an awful lot more stuff than I'd care to. :D

But it's not too hard to do. Just change a 3 to a 4 somewhere and change some pointer tables.

Jul 14, 2008 at 2:52 PM
Luls
RuneLancer said:
That would mean coding an awful lot more stuff than I'd care to. :D

But it's not too hard to do. Just change a 3 to a 4 somewhere and change some pointer tables.

Well... maybe you could do that after you're done with the game basics ;D

Good luck! ^^"

Jul 14, 2008 at 10:56 PM
Hoxtilicious
It looks very good yeah. :3
Love your work!
Can't wait for more.