So I restarted a hack...

Jul 18, 2008 at 5:48 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Metalogz said:
Yeah. Maybe you could make it such that you'll need it more as an item rather than a weapon. Like... To reach for something between spikes...

Then you'll have to aim with a corsshair to latch onto the item to get it... etc... :D
That's an idea. Perhaps it could be a multi-purpose item.
Metalogz said:
Or maybe you could make it a weapon that drags enemies towards you so you can do your melee stunts xD
Like Scorpion's Spear Attack in 'Mortal Combat'. Now THAT is an awesome idea :D ! I can imagine myself yanking enemies from the far side of the screen before kicking seven shades of s**t out of them! (maybe the player can even shout "Get over here!" as he reels them in, heh heh. :D )

I sure hope Runelancer is listening. :o

Jul 18, 2008 at 6:03 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
<_<; There are already letters in the game...

The Mulletron said:
Are you sure? I think what S. P. meant to say was ladders.

Correct.

Jul 19, 2008 at 2:44 PM
I've had a night to mull over the grappling hook idea, and I would like to air a few more thoughts I had over it (I have a lot to say so please bear with me).

The grappling hook is generally a good idea (in my opinion anyways :( ), but aiming via the use of a crosshair would probably mean adding mouse support, and I feel that would detract from the retro feel of the game engine, as well as making the controls unwieldy in what is normally a fast paced game.

What I suggest is that while the player is on the ground, that the item is treated like any other weapon (i.e. it is only aimed horizontally or vertically), but when the player jumps into the air or is in freefall, the rope is fired in an upwards 45 degree angle (like the ninja rope in 'Worms 2'). It would make swinging from the ceiling much easier.

As for implementing this idea, I have extremely little experience working with assembly. Nevertheless, I have some advice which may be useful.

The generation of the rope could be done in one of two ways, either by drawing a freeform line, or by using small sprites in a chain-link effect. The easiest of the two would be the chain-link idea since the game already accommodates sprite management. The drawing of a freeform line is definitely harder to implement, but would be more aesthetically pleasing. Its possible to do in C, so it may be doable in assembly as well.

As for the matter of object detection, there are 3 ways to approach this. The first one is not at all (i.e. the rope goes through terrain), the second is to destroy the rope the second it hits any terrain, and the third is to make the rope 'bend' when it hits terrain.

This can be achieved by the use of 'nodes'. Basically a node is a pair of co-ordinates which are saved when the rope makes contact with the terrain. The node is generated where the contact is made, and any rope between this node and the end of the rope (or a previous node) remains stationary. The node then acts as the new pivot point for the rope. When the rope becomes parallel with the previous section of rope (that was separated by the node), the node is deleted and the previous pivot point is restored. Now I'm no expert on rope physics, but that was how it was done in the 'Worms' series.

I hope you find any of this useful, RuneLancer (if not, then ignore my babbling :D ).

Jul 19, 2008 at 3:31 PM
The Bartender
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Oh well, you can implement a climbing system as well, like, to scale cliffs and stuff.

And a if you fall from a high place, you hurt yourself when you land.

There won't be enough high platforms to make coding falling damage worthwhile. I can also see it being a huge annoyance in some trickier areas. Beating a tough series of jumps can be really frustrating when you keep missing and starting over, but it's even worst when you keep dying and having to reload to try again.

In the same veine of ideas, being able to grab onto ledges may make some jumps too easy. I want to avoid situations where the player is going to cheat their way to a powerup or past an area by climbing over something they're not supposed to. Plus the effort required to code this would be pretty brutal, if only to find a way to handle holding a chaingun in one hand and your entire body plus chaingun with the other while firing at some enemies... :D

Issit possible to include a <<ninja rope>>
Nope. The game is too action-oriented and not enough platform-oriented to make this worth coding. If anything, it would take away 100% of the challenge of any tough jump or out-of-reach item - and by the time the player gets to that point in the game, they'll have the booster anyway so why even use the rope anymore?

(Not to mention how long implanting it would take: just handling all of the states Quote will take and how all of his other states should respond to these states (hanging from rope, swinging, firing on rope, climbing?, etc) could take quite some time... And we haven't even started talking about targetting it, much less implanting rope physics. CS doesn't have any mouse support, btw, and short of using the keyboard's 4 degrees of freedom that would mean changing the main module heavily.)

Will there be an alphabet?
The use of letters is present in this hack as part of the text system. :(

The use of ladders, on the other hand, I didn't think of. I'll see what implanting it involves, though I'm not saying I will. CS is a platformer at heart, and this will involve additional spritework and state management (see ninja rope), but if I come across it I'll see what I can do with this...

What? Like a grappling hook? Yeah, That would be cool . But, I can't see this being anymore than just a gimmick, unless you could make a use for it (for example, making some areas only accessible via grappling hook).
My thoughts exactly. Like I said, you'd have the booster or some similare item by then. There's little point in giving the player a second "get anywhere" item... not to mention the difficulty involved in adding it to the game. Gotta make those double jump and long jump items, as well as your characters' "jump" stat, worth something.

Or maybe you could make it a weapon that drags enemies towards you so you can do your melee stunts
I've already planned out all of the weapons at this point, but nothing has been implanted yet so I'm open to suggestions still. And I like this one (Scorpion-style "C'mere!"?) I'll see if I can work it in.

Jul 19, 2008 at 4:26 PM
RuneLancer said:
Nope. The game is too action-oriented and not enough platform-oriented to make this worth coding. If anything, it would take away 100% of the challenge of any tough jump or out-of-reach item - and by the time the player gets to that point in the game, they'll have the booster anyway so why even use the rope anymore?
You could make it so that only some classes get the booster whilst others get the rope. Also, the booster is not exactly a 'go-anywhere' machine (it only has limited fuel), and I bet you get further through a spike-infested cavern with a ninja rope than a booster.

But that said, if you don't want to take the extra workload this item entails, then fair enough. It was kind of a big ask anyways.

Jul 19, 2008 at 5:17 PM
The Bartender
The Mulletron said:
You could make it so that only some classes get the booster whilst others get the rope. Also, the booster is not exactly a 'go-anywhere' machine (it only has limited fuel), and I bet you get further through a spike-infested cavern with a ninja rope than a booster.
Actually, the booster only has as much fuel as you want it to have.

Behold!

Jul 19, 2008 at 6:11 PM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Jul 20, 2008 at 4:59 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
The Mulletron said:
I've had a night to mull over the grappling hook idea, and I would like to air a few more thoughts I had over it (I have a lot to say so please bear with me).

The grappling hook is generally a good idea (in my opinion anyways :D ), but aiming via the use of a crosshair would probably mean adding mouse support, and I feel that would detract from the retro feel of the game engine, as well as making the controls unwieldy in what is normally a fast paced game.

What I suggest is that while the player is on the ground, that the item is treated like any other weapon (i.e. it is only aimed horizontally or vertically), but when the player jumps into the air or is in freefall, the rope is fired in an upwards 45 degree angle (like the ninja rope in 'Worms 2'). It would make swinging from the ceiling much easier.

As for implementing this idea, I have extremely little experience working with assembly. Nevertheless, I have some advice which may be useful.

The generation of the rope could be done in one of two ways, either by drawing a freeform line, or by using small sprites in a chain-link effect. The easiest of the two would be the chain-link idea since the game already accommodates sprite management. The drawing of a freeform line is definitely harder to implement, but would be more aesthetically pleasing. Its possible to do in C, so it may be doable in assembly as well.

As for the matter of object detection, there are 3 ways to approach this. The first one is not at all (i.e. the rope goes through terrain), the second is to destroy the rope the second it hits any terrain, and the third is to make the rope 'bend' when it hits terrain.

This can be achieved by the use of 'nodes'. Basically a node is a pair of co-ordinates which are saved when the rope makes contact with the terrain. The node is generated where the contact is made, and any rope between this node and the end of the rope (or a previous node) remains stationary. The node then acts as the new pivot point for the rope. When the rope becomes parallel with the previous section of rope (that was separated by the node), the node is deleted and the previous pivot point is restored. Now I'm no expert on rope physics, but that was how it was done in the 'Worms' series.

I hope you find any of this useful, RuneLancer (if not, then ignore my babbling ;) ).
A better idea is to have it like the gb Bionic commado button layout.
Press weapon button (with grappling hook selected) to shoot 45deg diagonally in the direction you are facing.
Hold up then press weapon button (with grappling hook selected) to shoot directly up.
Hold down, left or right then press the weapon button (with grappling hook selected) to shoot the grappling hook horizontally in the direction you are facing to push back enemies (or pull them to you if you like).

And super metroid still had both grappling hook and flying. The thing is that you can use the limited fuel of the booster to create areas that can only be accessed via the grappling hook. It is all in the level design.

Any chance of a double-jump item?

Jul 20, 2008 at 2:51 PM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Actaully I meant that the crosshair could be moved by the pressing of your movement keys =/...

Well anyways I gots another idea! How about making the character dash when you press a direction key twice! :(

Oh and how about a homing weapon? :D That'd be cool.
(Probably for the bomber? homing missiles! ^^)

Btw you could make the homing weapon home the monster only when you press the shoot button when the monster is directly horizontally infront of you. That would make it less of a god modish weapon and more of a weapon that requires skill and timing. Maybe you could make it's damage low too. :D

Edit - Another idea! ^^

How about a piece of equipment that allows you to shield or hide from opponents at a touch of a button? ^^ Idea from Ait Tank lol.

If I'm not wrong... You mentioned this idea in the Original Sin thread :(

Jul 20, 2008 at 9:04 PM
The Bartender
I'm all for adding people's ideas, but don't post in here just because you thought something up on a whim. There's a limit to how many ideas I can reasonably implement (or even implement at all without messing with what I've already planned) and it seems to be turning into a big random mess of everyone's ideas.

If you think of something way cool and innovative, post it. If it's some trippy feature that would be interesting (or at least, interesting to you) but wouldn't have any vital game use, give it some more consideration. :)

Any chance of a double-jump item?
The double-jump item from The Original Sin will indeed be making a comeback.

Oh and how about a homing weapon?
There's already one. I've posted the (planned) weapon list before.

Jul 20, 2008 at 10:20 PM
Hoxtilicious
More than one Profil.dat for saves, ingame >_<;
That would be handy D:
Also for normal Cave Story :x

Jul 20, 2008 at 11:01 PM
The Bartender
S. P. Gardebiter said:
More than one Profil.dat for saves, ingame >_<;
That would be handy D:
Also for normal Cave Story :x
Copy-paste-rename?

I'm sure anyone with some basic VB knowhow could write a little launcher for Cave Story that renames profile.dat files according to which game you want to load... :)

Jul 21, 2008 at 4:01 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
RuneLancer said:
Copy-paste-rename?

I'm sure anyone with some basic VB knowhow could write a little launcher for Cave Story that renames profile.dat files according to which game you want to load... :)
Can someone create a psp version if they are doing one? :)

Jul 21, 2008 at 4:21 AM
Hoxtilicious
Forget tools :)
I mean things like: Profile 1, Profile 2, Profile 3 :)
That's a nice project for a hack though, I should look at it >_<;
But I don't think I can get anything useful :p

Jul 21, 2008 at 5:32 AM
The Bartender
S. P. Gardebiter said:
Do you even know how you'd proceed if you did? I'm curious how you'd do this, you sound like you have some ideas...

Jul 21, 2008 at 6:37 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
S. P. Gardebiter said:
More like Profile.da0, Profile.da1, Profile.da2, etc.

Jul 21, 2008 at 6:49 AM
Hoxtilicious
Depends.
I would first look how Profile.dat is loaded and saved.
Then I would try to add more than one :)
Like Profile1.dat, Profile2.dat, Profile3.dat, three would be a nice choice.
Just after load a screen pops up which Profile.dat to load.
I guess it would be easy to just change the name, maybe "Profile1.dat" but it gets harder if you go for more than one. A placeholder would be nice, say "Profile%.dat" I guess the name is pushed into the stack. If I'm lucky, I can get some space and add another name. Or I'll just use one with a placeholder in it :) "Profile" + Number in EAX in ASCII, ANSI I don't know + ".dat". So the Profiles would have a "code number" other than 1, 2 and 3 I think :p
IDK, I will just take a look at it.

Nov 1, 2008 at 7:31 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
I wonder if Runelancer will be back.

I'd like to play this game!

Nov 1, 2008 at 9:28 PM
Been here way too long...
Nawp, he won't, due to the "overall immaturity of the boards", he is alive tho, if you want to just talk to him about assembly.

Nov 2, 2008 at 3:35 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Lace said:
Nawp, he won't, due to the "overall immaturity of the boards", he is alive tho, if you want to just talk to him about assembly.
Lace said:
Nawp, he won't, due to the "overall immaturity of the boards"
Lace said:
due to the "overall immaturity of the boards"
Lace said:
the "overall immaturity of the boards"
Lace said:
"overall immaturity of the boards"
Lace said:
"overall immaturity
Lace said:
immaturity