So, How did YOU find out about Cave Story?

Aug 31, 2013 at 6:14 PM
Forever 12
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Heard about Cave Story from a Cave Story 3D ad on the back of Nintendo Power.
Later I was browsing the demos section of the wii shop, and found the Cave Story demo.
I Downloaded the demo and tryed it.
A few months later, I heard online that Cave Story was free on PC, so I downloaded it.

Aug 31, 2013 at 7:54 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
First, I'll have to take you back to the period,

2010:
I was a 15 year-old boy who could sit on the computer for hours, then I was scrolling through images on deviantART and saw a picture labeled Quote and Curly "What stupid F**king names..." I thought. Hey, I was Irish, I'm not anymore, but I was at that point. I looked at the picture and I was like, "Oh cool some neat art for a game, I wonder what this game is" It said Cave Story in the description, yet I kept searching for a name because Cave Story doesn't sound like the name of a frequently proclaimed, Only Game on Earth. And after hours of searching through comments, I bit the bullet and searched up Cave Story, the game was up for download on this site. I played it, it was fun.

2012:
So, I was playing the game (And by "playing" I mean getting my anal cavity whooped by every boss.) when the question popped in my head, "Walkthroughs?" I typed in Cave Story again and came across this website, after playing through the game with absolutely no help whatsoever (Lie) I saw there was a forum for the game. I decided that people actually do need to hear my incredibly skewed opinion on the game and things in it, and signed up.

This probably explains a lot, but I don't know what exactly.

Sep 1, 2013 at 12:01 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Saw fanart from raizy (who made the webcomic slightly damned) of the game that said that if I hadn't played that game then I needed to. When I hit Mimiga Village I realised that this game was much more than first cave led me to believe and pulled some all-nighters.

Sep 2, 2013 at 3:13 AM
Mrs. Policewoman
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I happen to have, and still like an anime/manga called Hayate no Gotoku! aka Hayate the Combat Butler, and,
while searching for related games, I found this, From there, I saw what was, and is still, the latest blog post, you can read it for yourselves.

Sep 2, 2013 at 10:23 AM
Little Bitch in Sheep Clothing
"..."
Friend asked me to draw Balrog for her.
I was curious why in the actual fuck he is a flying toaster, and googled "Balrog toaster".
Then I found Cave Story.

Sep 2, 2013 at 5:56 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Back when Cave Story first was translated I had probably seen the game on Romhacking.net or something... I saw the screenshots, and I didn't see anything special. Graphics looked pretty so-so.

And frankly I had alot of other games to play, so I didn't even consider playing it.

I had been following Ys translations however... and I met a user named SkyeWelse. He quickly convinced me to try this game, and that he had a community forums...

The rest is history~ :D

Sep 2, 2013 at 7:54 PM
War criminal
I was reading a copy of Nintendo Power a few years ago and I found an article of the game as WiiWare. How much I really wanted to play the game because it looked good. Last Winter, my uncle gave me his 3DS and it had some games downloaded to it and I found the DSiWare port of Cave Story. As soon as I started playing the game I fell in love with the story, the music, the graphics, and the controls. It felt very nostalgic when I played it.

Sep 2, 2013 at 11:08 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I honestly don't remember the very first time I found out about the game but it was probably somebody on the GMG forums, who convinced me to go Google it and download the Mac version from the website. Yup. I don't even remember how long ago but it was before Cave Story + or Wii or any of the retail versions were released.

Sep 4, 2013 at 2:29 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Around September 2012 i was looking for random demos to play on the wii, and found cave story. I found the forums by looking up questions.

Sep 5, 2013 at 7:54 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hi, new member.
Anyways, I found Cave Story through the PSP port.
I thought the psp port was the original, but then I found out it was originally on the pc.
Been a big time fan ever since.

Sep 7, 2013 at 2:08 PM
/end
I actually found out about Cave Story when it was added to the Mirai Gamer Forums way back in the past. I wish I still had my first account I used back then though.

Sep 8, 2013 at 4:55 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I found out about it from Nintendo week. Got the demo. then realized it was a freeware.

Oct 3, 2013 at 1:07 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I found out from a walkthrough by an awesome guy called PkGam.

Oct 16, 2013 at 1:19 AM
Veteran Member
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Browing through the translation patches at Aeon Genesis... I honestly don't remember how long ago. Probably not too long after the translation was made.

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I've known about it for ages but never got because I thought it was a wii exclusive and was oblivious to the original version and then one day while browsing steam (this month in fact) I decided to search "cave" and there it was cave story plus and that is how I gotit

I've known about it for ages but never got because I thought it was a wii exclusive and was oblivious to the original version and then one day while browsing steam (this month in fact) I decided to search "cave" and there it was cave story plus and that is how I gotit

Nov 20, 2013 at 12:36 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
How I found out Cave Story? Well, it started in when I was in middle school. One of my friends told me about a game that was a platformer that had elements of Metroid and Castlevania (known nowadays as Metroidvanias). Better yet it was free for PC! I went into the game completely blind (has it should be) and I fell in love (mainly with the character "Sue" :sue: ). Also many of the fan fictions are AMAZING! :mrgreen:
When Tokoro died, it was one of the saddest deaths in all of the games I have played. :(

Nov 20, 2013 at 6:09 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
A year or so ago my friend was playing it at school and I thought it looked neat. Gave it a try, but never really got back to it till last month. Played it, beat it. Been continuing playing it on and off ever since.

Nov 20, 2013 at 8:06 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I saw lots of stuff about it, so I searched it up to see what Cave Story was, played it, and loved it.

Nov 21, 2013 at 1:11 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Well, I saw it mentioned in my copy of the official nintendo magazene under the wii ware section. I googled it and found it was avalible as pc freeware so I downloaded it and gave it a go.

Jul 19, 2014 at 3:17 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I'd heard the game being mentioned around here and there but I'm never too sure why I never looked into it further. I ended up stumbling across the soundtrack on YouTube and after giving it a listen I was instantly hooked and downloaded the freeware version. Haven't looked back since! ^^