So, How did YOU find out about Cave Story?

May 6, 2012 at 7:51 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Well, here comes the most embarrassing reason ever:
In December 2011, I saw a picture, of two strange people holding weapons back to back, and I asked myself; "Who are these wondrous beings?"
I went down to the artist's comments and it said
Quote and Curly from a game called Cave Story, they're so awesome they'd go to hell and back together, LITERALLY, DOWNLOAD THIS FREE GAME YOU MORON.
So I downloaded it, panicked when I screwed up and killed Curly, restarted after finding out I wasn't supposed to do that, killed Curly Again( I have a shallow learning curve) and gave up and just gave myself the tow rope through cheating(And took away the booster 0.8 of course, I want the experience)after getting to the plantation, I wandered aimlessly for about an hour, and gave up and read a complete walk-through other than the GO TO HELL checklist, and got stuck on the boss battles (Goddamn Doctor) and cheated my way through that too.And then I finished and fell in love with the game the whole time.

...still doesn't make up for it though, does it?

May 7, 2012 at 10:41 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Well, I was watching a video about Easter Eggs in games, and They had Curly's panties. I got interested in the game , And finally got around to downloading it. I got hooked INSTANTLY. I also found Curly's Panties Because of the video :3

May 13, 2012 at 4:49 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I saw my friend play it on his Dsi downloaded the game on to mine and was hooked.

May 13, 2012 at 5:51 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
On the 3ds eshop, the first day it was up, the featured game was cave story. I was liek "mk dis looks kewl"
So 6 moths later i blindly bought it knowing nothing about it.
best blind buy ever.

May 14, 2012 at 3:06 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
I.. don't remember... really....

Was I just looking for indie games in general? Perhaps when digg wasn't a ghost town I found it there?
All I know is that I found it mentioned somewhere on some social site. And then I am here.
The path in between is blurry in my mind...

May 16, 2012 at 2:06 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I came across Cave story in possibly one of the oddest ways...

Back in like 2009 I was on Rule34 and one of the recently uploaded images was a mimga getting zombie dragon dick.

I was like "What the...??" and the tag was Cave story. Someone on youtube I was subbed to also uploaded the CS soundtrack earlier. Now I was interested after seeing this name pop up at random places, so I downloaded it.

And it was amazing.

But I got stuck on the Egg Corridor LOL. So I just gave up on it (worst idea ever btw) and then last Christmas, I got a 3DS and downloaded the DSi version and got somewhere at bushlands. THEN, on January 4th, I saw Pokemon rumble blast and wanted it. So I went to Gamestop to see if they had a used version for cheaper. They didnt, but I noticed Cave Story 3D. I was debating whether to get that or some other games. Eventually I just said screw it and got CS3D. And It was amazing, I actually beat that version with all 3 endings and thought "this is the greatest game in the wor--- Wait... There was a Cave story+ on steam that had waaay more content for only $10?! What da fuuuuu?!? D: I was disappointed. But I still play it today, and I haven't got to play wind fortress or curly mode or anything like that. Luckily they have the updated Cave story 3d for teh 3ds eShop with all those modes in 3d coming in a month or so. So I figured I'll wait for that.

May 16, 2012 at 5:15 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I was in the DSi shop, and I saw Cave Story.
The name caught me, so I did some research.
Eventually, I bought it.
BEST. DECISION. EVER.

May 17, 2012 at 12:56 AM
THE suus
"Keep on rollin'!"
Wild Desu said:
Yakkers introduced me <3

And he also introduced me to the forums. So you can blame my existence on him.

Consider your existence blamed. dB Also, how I got introduced to CS is this: I originally saw about it on the computer, but months later I (Don't judge, I didn't know) Bought it on The eShop. ;A; ...Yeaaah. dB>

May 17, 2012 at 1:14 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Consider your existence blamed. dB Also, how I got introduced to CS is this: I originally saw about it on the computer, but months later I (Don't judge, I didn't know) Bought it on The eShop. ;A; ...Yeaaah. dB>

is The Computer the name of the person who showed it to you?
It probably is the name

May 17, 2012 at 3:59 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
It's the contrapositive to 8V

May 17, 2012 at 4:30 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
Aug 6, 2012 at 4:39 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I have a wii, but couldn't afford the actual game and had to stick to the demo. I searched it up, and found out it was free on PC. So I did the obvious thing.

Aug 6, 2012 at 5:59 AM
A Reluctant Balrog's Waifu
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
My boyfriend has owned CS+ on Steam for some time, but he hadn't played it yet. He has something like 100+ games in his library. Out of the blue, he decided he'd finally download and play CS+.

My first impressions were that the graphics were adorable, the music was catchy and the actual gameplay was fun. Actually fun. We played through it slowly over the course of a few days, fighting over turns, and got the "normal" ending. Discovered there were actually more endings, so I finally caved in and bought it for myself. I did one run for every ending and easter egg.

Only thing I haven't successfully finished is Wind Fortress.

Aug 8, 2012 at 5:30 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Well for me, it's kinda weird. I first heard about it in I think April 2012. Someone that I was subscribed to either posted a comment or liked a certain video. It was a rock medley of 34 different games with the best/iconic music from them. Cave story was one of the ones on that playlist and I thought it sounded pretty good. I forgot (This is the part where I don't really remember my first time playing) when, but after some time I found it and played it and didn't care for the story line. I ended up playing until I got the bad ending and I was kinda dumbfounded. "What. Someone tell me that isn't the only ending..." I ended up looking it up and found out that you can actually climb the outer wall and get to the plantation. There is when I also read about saving Curly and I was like. "God damnit..." So I replayed it until the Labyrinth where I found out if I talk to Booster, I can't get the Tow Rope. I then got mad at the game for a bit, (Mainly because I actually cared about the story that time through and realized that King and Toroko died and I had to see that cutscene again. I emotionally cry there, I don't admit this) Restarted and actually got the best ending with a time of 6:59"6. (Something like that, I knew about restoring Curly's memories because I gave in and looked at the secrets guide and learned about the different endings and what to do) That's pretty much it. Also, when Curly gave Quote her Airtank, I was kinda struck hard by that. Didn't know I could save her. Also the link:
4:30 is when Cave Story starts.

Aug 15, 2012 at 5:02 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I found it in the humble bundle

Aug 15, 2012 at 5:36 PM
Banned
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
gamefly introduced me to cave story (the 3ds version though) i thought id try it out and i loved it

Aug 30, 2013 at 4:44 AM
Life keeps going, but my temper doesn't.
"..."
How about explaining how you found out about this awesome game? Here, I will start off.

Spoiler for size... if its even big.

This way about a year ago when I was 12. I was obsessed with VVVVVV and the BIT.TRIP series at the time. I was watching youtube videos and stuff at one time. Then I saw on the side, Cave Story. I didn't click it since I didn't know what it was. But one day I was on youtube again, and I see a conversation in the comments talking about some game called cave story. For some reason, this always happens to me - Once I hear about something I accidentally hear MORE about it. I dunno why. Anyways, I still didn't do anything about "Cave Story", even thought it sounded popular. So one day I turned on my Wii, and since I was bored, I went to see if there were any demos to download. But there it was - the "Cave Story" demo. I was like "Huh. I'll just download it and see what it's like." So I did it. I downloaded it and finally I booted it up. For some reason I instantly changed the music to "Old", thinking it sounded better (and it does).So I started the game and I beat the whole thing. I DID ragequit since there were no saves at all. But when I beat the demo, I said "Holy Cheese Balls," (Yes, I used to say that.) "This seems pretty cool!" So I went online and read about it. So then I went and bought the game. I really thought it was awesome when I beat it. And of course I did a 2nd playthrough to get all the best items and good ending. And then I tried beating boss rush hundreds of times with no results. But oh well. And then there was one day where HaydenStudios tricked me into beliving that the 4th ending was really there and I wasted an hour of my life, but it was my fault since I didn't read more. But yeah, that was how I found out about Cave Story.

I did get mad when I found out that Cave Story+ was actually the Steam version. I got really confused.

AAAAnnd I typed that all in 4:56.34.