Should Cave Story be an anime?

Aug 22, 2011 at 12:57 AM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Re: If Cave Story Was an Anime...

Yeah, I guess you're right. That's why video games suck; we will never, ever have a (good) zelda, mario or final fantasy movie.
Just terrible, terrible cartoons.

I would like to see someone make CS Anime happen, though.

Good talk, you people.

Aug 22, 2011 at 5:23 AM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"

royaltyler said:
Did you know that Aniplex made Fullmetal Alchemist? You just didn't seem to mention it so I was wondering if you knew what they made.

I had nothing notable to say about it so I didn't mention it

Aug 22, 2011 at 7:13 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever

If anything, Cave Story would make a better book or comic than an anime or movie. Repeated actions (weapon upgrades, boss fights, etc.) and exploration of a new area are usually only exciting when seen through the medium of a video game, or print. Movies can't handle all the content of a video game, no matter how concise or movie-like it may seem.

I guess the main problem is content density. For example, take the time between talking to Santa the first time and getting his key. In the game, that takes about a minute, and you head back to Santa for your reward. This would take roughly the same amount of time in a movie, but would be utterly boring to watch. A few seconds of walking, some shooting, picking up a key, giving it to some guy within the course of a minute is only acceptable in a game because you're controlling the character, and you're getting a reward. Who would want to see a man saving up for a thing he wants in real time?
However, if it were a book, you could make this simple task stretch over pages and pages, with descriptions of the scenery, Quote's thoughts, Santa's appearance and behavior, all the things that are conveyed in a split second in a game or a movie (which is why mangas are generally shorter than novels, or at least take less time to read). There's not enough movie-worthy stuff in Cave Story, and there really isn't any tv show-worthy stuff either.
Hell, I'd buy a Cave Story manga (but I'd probably prefer it as a Western Comic) any day.

Aug 24, 2011 at 3:32 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"

cultr1 said:
If anything, Cave Story would make a better book or comic than an anime or movie. Repeated actions (weapon upgrades, boss fights, etc.) and exploration of a new area are usually only exciting when seen through the medium of a video game, or print. Movies can't handle all the content of a video game, no matter how concise or movie-like it may seem.

I guess the main problem is content density. For example, take the time between talking to Santa the first time and getting his key. In the game, that takes about a minute, and you head back to Santa for your reward. This would take roughly the same amount of time in a movie, but would be utterly boring to watch. A few seconds of walking, some shooting, picking up a key, giving it to some guy within the course of a minute is only acceptable in a game because you're controlling the character, and you're getting a reward. Who would want to see a man saving up for a thing he wants in real time?
However, if it were a book, you could make this simple task stretch over pages and pages, with descriptions of the scenery, Quote's thoughts, Santa's appearance and behavior, all the things that are conveyed in a split second in a game or a movie (which is why mangas are generally shorter than novels, or at least take less time to read). There's not enough movie-worthy stuff in Cave Story, and there really isn't any tv show-worthy stuff either.
Hell, I'd buy a Cave Story manga (but I'd probably prefer it as a Western Comic) any day.

Very well said. I agree.
Movies can't handle everything books and games can.
(this is also the reason I thought Harry Potter Deathly Hallows Part 2 was not as good as the book. There is just things that can't be captured in a movie. Like character thoughts.

EDIT: I acidentally said " in a book.." instead of "in a movie" Do'h

Aug 24, 2011 at 3:40 AM
LSD
"..."

Bmlee97 said:
Very well said. I agree.
Movies can't handle everything books and games can.
(this is also the reason I thought Harry Potter Deathly Hallows Part 2 was not as good as the book. There is just things that can't be captured in a book. Like character thoughts.

Well, in almost every case of a Movie based off of a book, the book was much better.
I agree, Cave Story would make a much better book of any type than video, being Anime or movie.

Sep 4, 2011 at 10:31 AM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"

Sep 5, 2011 at 6:22 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"

I'm thinking that if it was, there's probably only two outcomes.
One: It could be really, really shit.
Two: It could actually be good.
In any case, I haven't seen much anime, I prefer manga. Maybe it'd work better like that. Would certainly be easier to portray thought. I don't know how long they could keep an anime going when the main character doesn't even talk.

Sep 5, 2011 at 6:45 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"

LunarSoul said:
Yeah, I guess you're right. That's why video games suck; we will never, ever have a (good) zelda, mario or final fantasy movie.

Good talk, you people.

Mother 3? That one might make a decent anime movie.

Sep 5, 2011 at 6:56 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"

LunarSoul said:

Good talk, you people.
I thought Advent Children was a pretty good movie, actually. Even if it was CGI, not anime.
EDIT: I think Mother 3 could work, maybe. Be interesting to see how someone would portray some of the enemies :p

Sep 5, 2011 at 12:39 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator

Nameisnotname said:
I thought Advent Children was a pretty good movie, actually. Even if it was CGI, not anime.
Yeah I would second that. It was a friggin epic movie.

Mar 9, 2012 at 12:44 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Yes, It's a weird thing to have an anime of a video game, but I'd watch it, as long as they added content or summin. 'ny way, is there one?

Mar 9, 2012 at 12:51 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I am just going to merge these threads because we don't need 5000 "hey guiz caev stroy wood be cool as n anime" threads

to answer your question, no.
To answer your next question, no.

Mar 9, 2012 at 6:18 AM
"Huzzah!"
This is just me being paranoid, and assuming everyone in Japan is on secret mind-altering drugs put in the water by SEELE.

Fake Review of Cave Story Anime Exerpt:

"Keanu Reeve voices Quote. A robot clone from the future. Or something. Crispin Freeman voices Curly. Why, we can't explain. Misery is voiced by Christian Bale and Alicia Keys, depending on scene. Balrog is voiced by Alan Cumming's fat, long-lost twin brother. The plotline of this film is overshadowed by endless fight scenes between Curly and Misery, in which both characters lose most of their clothes. Balrog's sexual identity is made clear for the first time, in a touching scene involving carrots, paper mache, dragons, and a blender. We can't remember the ending, which sort of got overshadowed by the powerful, not-offensive-in-any-way scene in which Curly and Chaco teach Misery the power of love. So yes, this is the greatest film ever in the history of the world."

Mar 9, 2012 at 12:41 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I am just going to merge these threads because we don't need 5000 "hey guiz caev stroy wood be cool as n anime" threads

to answer your question, no.
To answer your next question, no.
Next question?!?
Also, gracias for merging

Mar 10, 2012 at 10:38 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
For a worldwise success, the anime would need to comply with these criteria:

Mar 16, 2012 at 10:57 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
I'm sure Cave Story could make a great anime as long as there was freedom to alter/expand on Cave Story without ruining it (have Pixel approve everything). They should keep all of the main events, but maybe change up one or two things while adding twists to surprise existing fans...

My first thought for style was something like :
Black Rock Shooter (speed style sleekness) + El-Hazard (fantasy epic) + Last Exile (style characters) + Chrno Crusade (character)
Although I don't know of a good anime that could represent Mimigas appropriately... They would NEED to look just like we've come to expect Mimigas to look, or there will be much rage.

Choose a style that pops out, but represents Cave Story. One of the first things that you notice about CS, is the retro look... You don't want that for the anime, but something eye-popping could really be nice. BRS is too fast paced for most of the anime, but for situations like Hell's finale, it would be perfect. [btw I've never seen the main character speak in videos I've found...]
(Warning : THIS VIDEO IS LOUD)
Black Rock Shooter

Last Exile has a good looking style, with plenty of good CGs and backgrounds. Characters are unique as well... You want to feel a bit of a story book or cinematic feel from the anime. Especially for the few open areas... like on the surface of the island.
Last Exile

El-Hazard represents a good mixture of comedy and serious fantasy. You'd need to make the characters work well with each other... while maintaining the very strong unique image Cave Story creates. How detailed it is.
El-Hazard

And CC is a good example of how the story at times could be light-hearted; but, when it hits you with just what kind of dangerous situation you're in, it becomes very grave...
Chrno Crusade

If you just follow the original story, the anime could just be an OVA or a movie.
But, I think there's a possibility for expansion, if you fill out the story into a mini-series 11-13 20 min episodes (especially if you include a prequel).
Not easy to make CS into an anime, but I'd like to think it's possible to do it and do it well...

Apr 9, 2012 at 1:24 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Don't fall in the trap of picking your favorite pieces or different animes as styles. You'd be getting one (maybe 2) studios working on it, and if you want you Last Exile view you get Gonzo, which has eye bleeding visuals but the story department is kind of bleck. You'd want a studio that is known for a consistent style to do it and hope it doesn't fall into suck.

Apr 9, 2012 at 3:45 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
A manga adaptation would be good, I'd buy that. Plus a large number of anime series' are adapted from manga if the manga series is popular enough. So it is better to strive for a manga adaptation than producing it directly as an anime series.

Apr 9, 2012 at 6:08 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I would waste up my whole money to see Cave Story in a Movie OwO Specially by Same Director of Spirited Away and The Secret world of Ariety x3