Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Code:
CPU Disasm
Address   Hex dump          Command                                  Comments
0040B36D  |.  83C1 14       add ecx,14

0040B3A7  |.  83C1 14       add ecx,14
make those numbers half as big as they are
editor's note: that's hexadecimal if you were wondering.

Jan 16, 2013 at 2:37 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Noxid, you are wonderful at explaining integers in Komato and Tasen languages.

Half of 14 is 0xA. Yes, the letter A. Half of fourteen is the letter A. This is why NOBODY thinks assembly is easy when they first try it.
So yeah, replace 14 with the letter 0A (or just A, if you're lazy, it will still work in Olly), and it should basically work.

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:31 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Is it possible to add an aditional new sprite to the game without breaking/ruining the exe? I have the picture in the correct format, I have the sprite sheet in CE working, but how do I create a sprite with that sprite sheet? I have tried using that sprite sheet with another entity that the picture would fit on, but it just glitches. Keep in mind that I do not want to deleet or modify another sprite. I want to use it as the island in my mod Hell Freezes Over.

Jan 17, 2013 at 1:44 AM
Professional Whatever
How do you create a sprite...?
1. Change resource file extension to .bmp
2. Open NpcIsland
3. Edit
4. Save
5. Close
6. You're done

Jan 17, 2013 at 2:12 AM
Not anymore
New spritesheets are allowed. Spritesheets are handled through handles.

In the executable, there are special arrays of bytes known as handles. Handles can point to operating system objects known as byte arrays.
To use a spritesheet that you have inside your mod folder, you have to take the handle (which is a tiny byte array) and use it
as if it were some kind of pointer to a bigger byte array (the object that happens to be external to the executable).
It is not an easy task to take a small handle array and transform it into a bigger byte array that contains the data
from the sprite sheet. You will need a function in assembly that interfaces with the handle system.
The OS itself is capable of dereferencing a handle, and also referencing a handle. So that's how you do it.

TL;DR
Handles are filenames.
Dereferencing a filename gives you a file. In other words, use the file read function.
Referencing a filename saves a file. In other words, use the file write function.

Jan 17, 2013 at 3:10 AM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
How do i have 2 types of breakable tile?
I want to have the original type (where its just a purple box with stars), and a 2nd type where it shows the tile that is the breakable box instead of the purple, so i could hide stuff in wall's that have marks on them like they're breaking.

Jan 17, 2013 at 3:16 AM
Based Member
First, go to NpcSym and erase where the purple box with stars is. Now go to your room's tileset, and make a tile shootable, and give it the appearance you want. Then make the tile to the left of it on the tile set what you want the tile to look like when you shoot it, and make another one to the left of it if you want it to look different if you shoot it again. You can do this as many times as you want until either you run out of room on the tileset, or you decide you want it to break after that hit and make a blank tile to the left of the last one so that it will break once the tile assumes that appearance.

Jan 17, 2013 at 3:27 AM
Veteran Member
Ok, thanks, but how do i make the type 2 boxes un-solid?

Jan 17, 2013 at 3:46 AM
Based Member
Oh, sorry, didn't catch that part.

Do you mean you want it to look partially broken when you shoot it the first time, and it can be shot a second time, but before getting shot a second time is not solid? If so, then one thing you can do is first have horizontal/vertical triggers placed on the map so that you will be causing their event to be running if you are in a position where you can shoot the tile. Then make your second tile type one that isn't solid, but that NPCs appear beneath. Now place an energy capsule beneath the tile, and have the event check whether the energy capsule still exists or not, and once it doesn't, then have the script destroy the tile the rest of the way. If you're confused, see how this is done in version 0.96 of my fourth ending mod on map number 10, the Sand Zone. In that version and earlier, that shootable block only looked solid until you tried jumping into it which you could, yet you were still able to shoot it. It wasn't until versions after that that I found a better method by using a hidden heart/missile that was invisible which enabled me to use a solid type that bullets could go through and entities appeared over.

If that's not what you meant and you only want it to be shootable once, and have it not be able to change back after it's become the second type, then simply have the type to the left of your shootable block on the tileset be what type of tile you want it to be after it's been shot. Simple as that.

Jan 17, 2013 at 3:55 AM
Veteran Member
No, i mean with the types of boxes i want to make (example:you see a partially broken wall in a city, you shoot it and then it breaks revealing an item) not to be solid,so if you touch it, you're character does not stop.

Jan 17, 2013 at 4:03 AM
Based Member
liammillay said:
No, i mean with the types of boxes i want to make (example:you see a partially broken wall in a city, you shoot it and then it breaks revealing an item) not to be solid,so if you touch it, you're character does not stop.
If you want to make a shootable tile that isn't solid, then the first paragraph in my post above should describe how to make one, just leave out the part about it being in that state after getting shot once. I'm not seeing how I'm not answering your question.

If I still haven't answered your question, then please elaborate more.

Jan 18, 2013 at 1:33 AM
Band
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
i cant find the teleporter TSC script, can someone post it for me? and possibly explain to me how to work it? I haven't been modding in a while, i kinda forgot almost everything with modding
(p.s. i searched it on the forums, no such luck)

Jan 18, 2013 at 1:37 AM
Professional Whatever

Man I hated teleporters, let's see...

<KEY<CNP0300:0111:0002<HMC<WAI0060<ANPXXXX:0001:0000
<WAI0100<FAO0004<TRAYYYY:ZZZZ:WWWW:VVVV

Where X is the teleporter event # and <TRA is...yeah.

There needs to be a blank entity with event #0301 to the left of where the teleporter lights go.

There also needs to be a blank entity with event #0300 directly below the teleporter.

Tell me if it fails.

E: Oh right the entry code

<KEY<MNA
<ANPXXXX:0001:0000<FAI0004
<CNP0301:0112:0002<WAI0100
<ANPXXXX:0000:0000
<MYD0002<SMC<DNP0301<END

Use this as the code for entering a map via teleporter. XXXX is again the teleporter's event #.

Jan 18, 2013 at 3:00 PM
Not anymore
Teleportation in Cave Story is really simple. If you understand x86 :awesomeface:

Jan 20, 2013 at 6:16 AM
Professional Whatever
Is it normal for entities to walk behind doors? It's kind of not helping me make cutscenes. Anyone know how to fix/change this?

Jan 20, 2013 at 6:31 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
sln. 1: make the door the entity and the entity the door
sln. 2: use Booster's Lab and change the draw order

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:48 AM
Professional Whatever
Yeah that worked, thanks

Jan 20, 2013 at 2:39 PM
Band
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
MagicDoors said:
Tell me if it fails.
well it works but before the teleporter lights are finished moving back up, quote is up and to the right of the teleporter, then is moved to the teleporter, any way to fix that?

Jan 20, 2013 at 5:13 PM
Professional Whatever
Oh that thing. That's happened to me, but I have no idea how to fix it. Sorry about that.

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:49 PM
essentially spirited away for an indefinite time.
"..."
is it possible to add any unused entities, like that frog with the sword or the owl, into the game?