Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Wouldn't the rain not fall then, WR?

Apr 2, 2011 at 7:32 PM
Professional Whatever
Lace said:
Depends.
You could utilize the water drip from the first cave, or do something like what gir did and use the special water bg.
A real rain generator, though, you will not be able to do unless you feel like A) crashing your system or B) forcing someone to create a particle system.
Yeah, I suppose that could work. Although does anyone know how to make it make a sound on creation? (Like, in a hex editor.)
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Wouldn't the rain not fall then, WR?
Good point.

Apr 2, 2011 at 7:39 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
it would be animated. Replace it with the fire sprite, or whatever.

Apr 2, 2011 at 7:42 PM
Professional Whatever
Yeah, but it would only rain for a few seconds.

Apr 2, 2011 at 7:43 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
WoodenRat said:
it would be animated. Replace it with the fire sprite, or whatever.

You can only have 512 entities on a map though, and it would be costly on memory.

Plus then it would only be good for small maps.

Apr 2, 2011 at 7:44 PM
Professional Whatever
Also, it would only rain for a few seconds.
Yay for repetitiveness! :greydroll:

Apr 2, 2011 at 7:45 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
LunarSoul said:
Also, it would only rain for a few seconds.
Yay for repetitiveness! :greydroll:

It would rain forever. The fire sprite doesn't disappear.

Apr 2, 2011 at 7:46 PM
Professional Whatever
Oh. Really?
..Oh, right.
But what when they reach the bottom of the map? You'd have to program them to reappear at the top.

Apr 2, 2011 at 7:47 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
LunarSoul said:
Oh. Really?
..Oh, right.
But what when they reach the bottom of the map? You'd have to program them to reappear at the top.

They don't fall, either.

Apr 2, 2011 at 7:48 PM
Professional Whatever
But, then the rain would stay in place. That would look weird.
And WR suggested animating it. That's what I was talking about.

EDIT: Oh, wait...
I has been n00b.

EDIT2: Kewl, I can just make an ORG with rain sounds. Alright! Thanks guys.

Apr 2, 2011 at 8:08 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
I think I have an idea. in the ironhead fight, before he is activated water droplets move across the screen to simulate the water moving. If you were to modify the direction of the droplets as well as their speed and whatevr else, I'm sure it would suffice. Unless you don't wan't it to be constant on the map, then I don't know.

Apr 2, 2011 at 8:11 PM
Professional Whatever
That's a good idea. Do you know the NPC #? (like, save point is 16)

Apr 2, 2011 at 8:45 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
There is no npc#. Go to the map settings and under bosses put ironhead. Before assembly the water drops will move right to left instead of how you want it. But keep in mind that you can't turn the rain off and on at will because it is the map setting.

Apr 2, 2011 at 8:49 PM
Professional Whatever
Ah, I see. Thanks.
So, it checks for the boss, and if it's not set, it starts the waterworks?

Apr 3, 2011 at 2:28 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
You could increase the sprite 'size' of the rain droplets, and have each 'sprite' actually have many droplets. That'd be fairly easy to do, and you could just change the 'rain droplet' entity to have a very large display box. Would cut back dramatically on the entity lag.

However, if it were to be done in assembly, the easiest method would likely be to add a 'weather' TSC command that'd take two inputs (X axis speed, Y axis speed), and a command to stop the weather effect. However since you can't have negative numbers, they'd both need to be considered as + or - some arbitrary number such as 4000. You'd also need to dedicate a few tileset tiles (in the exact same position for every map) for 'weather particles' (16x16 tiles, several of them). The "weather effect" would need to render after background tiles, and before foreground tiles. The wind tiles' rendering has a handy method for scooting the sprite around one pixel at a time, and animating that tile simultaneously. The function would render these over the whole screen. This way you could simulate many different 'particles' by customizing the speed (direction) and the sprites on the map's tileset. You could do stuff like rain, snow, a dust storm, falling leaves, even something really fancy like rising embers for a 'lava' map; and since it's all in TSC, you could have the 'pseudo particles' look like they change direction. Alot would be possible with this, I think.

Apr 3, 2011 at 2:51 PM
Professional Whatever
Dubby said:
However, if it were to be done in assembly, the easiest method would likely be to add a 'weather' TSC command that'd take two inputs (X axis speed, Y axis speed), and a command to stop the weather effect. However since you can't have negative numbers, they'd both need to be considered as + or - some arbitrary number such as 4000. You'd also need to dedicate a few tileset tiles (in the exact same position for every map) for 'weather particles' (16x16 tiles, several of them). The "weather effect" would need to render after background tiles, and before foreground tiles. The wind tiles' rendering has a handy method for scooting the sprite around one pixel at a time, and animating that tile simultaneously. The function would render these over the whole screen. This way you could simulate many different 'particles' by customizing the speed (direction) and the sprites on the map's tileset. You could do stuff like rain, snow, a dust storm, falling leaves, even something really fancy like rising embers for a 'lava' map; and since it's all in TSC, you could have the 'pseudo particles' look like they change direction. Alot would be possible with this, I think.
That's a really cool idea!
Although I wouldn't be able to make the TSC commands, because I haven't a clue about assembly.
Maybe we could drag noxid into this!

Apr 3, 2011 at 6:11 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Dubby said:

It's actually not a good idea to render them before the foreground tiles, since if you do then it'll look like it's raining/snowing inside an area with overhang (an area that there shouldn't be any rain falling into).

Also negative numbers are possible:
-1 = /
-2 = .
-3 = -
-4 = ,
-5 = +
-6 = *
-7 = )
-8 = (
-9 = '

Apr 3, 2011 at 6:28 PM
Professional Whatever
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
It's actually not a good idea to render them before the foreground tiles, since if you do then it'll look like it's raining/snowing inside an area with overhang (an area that there shouldn't be any rain falling into).

Also negative numbers are possible:
-1 = /
-2 = .
-3 = -
-4 = ,
-5 = +
-6 = *
-7 = )
-8 = (
-9 = '
Hmm, I should make a note of that.
So, would you put those symbols throughout the entire number (like, ++++ for -5) or just for the first digit (like +555 for -5)?

Apr 3, 2011 at 6:44 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
LunarSoul said:
Hmm, I should make a note of that.
So, would you put those symbols throughout the entire number (like, ++++ for -5) or just for the first digit (like +555 for -5)?

000+ would be -5, 00++ would be -55, 0+++ would be -555.

05++ would be 500 - 55

Apr 3, 2011 at 6:59 PM
Professional Whatever
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
05++ would be 500 - 55
So, 445? Or some odd number that crashes the game?