May 13, 2009 at 1:19 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
It probably is my computer. But I don't know what it is about my computer, though. >_<

May 14, 2009 at 3:51 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Im completely new at Modding and i think here would be a good place to start learning. I want to make a fan made sequel of Cave Story and i plan to use SW to do it, but thats were the problem arises.

I need to know:

>How to place items, monsters and people( NPCs) at specific places.
>How to use tiles from one place and use it in another.
>I tried placing a bed in front of wall tile, only for the bed to replace the tile entirely with the bed and a black background. How do i place the bed in front of the tile?

I'll get back on SW and try to find more questions.

May 14, 2009 at 4:19 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Searcheth?

SabeTheFabled said:
Im completely new at Modding and i think here would be a good place to start learning. I want to make a fan made sequel of Cave Story and i plan to use SW to do it, but thats were the problem arises.

I need to know:

>I tried placing a bed in front of wall tile, only for the bed to replace the tile entirely with the bed and a place background. How do i place the bed in front of the tile?

Eh, not to be rude, but I figured out all of that stuff myself...
..and I think there's at least one guide to the simple stuff like this..
Although, for the bed, I think you want to use the Entity bed, not the tile...
You'd probably be best off with trial and errors, as this is all pretty simple and straight foward..
..then again, I might have the advantage of previous modding exp...

Anyways, this thread is for problems that are either uncommon or haven't been answered before..
...mostly to stop spams of 'newb' threads...
Have you tried using the "Search" button before posting?

{Also, make sure you know want to use SW and not CE; it'll be hell to switch inbetween those halfway through a mod...}
{And they don't play well with each other, so you can't use both...}

May 14, 2009 at 4:46 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Yeah i checked out CE shortly after posting that and it seems a little better. But i'm still confused. I have no experience with this soooo....

May 14, 2009 at 5:22 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
VoidMage_Lowell said:

{And they don't play well with each other, so you can't use both...}

Lol, I actually use both on a frequent basis. Due to their being flaws in both, combination gives me what i need to make my mod. My secret, you ask? 2 executables.

Gotta love SW's ability to add multiple npcs fast.

May 14, 2009 at 5:28 AM
Assistance
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Ok, NOW this is making my progress towards what I need for my mod, 2 EXE's!?
Gotta write this down immediately, but you can't just have two standing there,
you have to do something...But what..!?

May 14, 2009 at 5:58 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Ralren said:
Ok, NOW this is making my progress towards what I need for my mod, 2 EXE's!?
Gotta write this down immediately, but you can't just have two standing there,
you have to do something...But what..!?

Lol, well the thing is that this does not overcome my "change bg" problem, the one seen in CE that is. I'll look over the assembly later with dooey maybe (he's awesome at haxing assembly in general) to see if there's anything simple I can do about that. See, what I do is I have two cavestorys in my cavestory folder: One is doukutsu.exe(The one I edit with CE) and the other is SW.exe(which i obviously edit with SW). The doukutsu.exe is the one that contains all SFX hax, all music swaps, all weap hax, and other important information. The SW is pretty much unchanged. BOTH these executables run off the same scripts and gfx though, because they are both located in the same cavestory folder. This allows me to switch between the two editors when I, say, needed to code the tsc for the tetris scene (since the script for that part was so large, CE crashed on me. kinda sucked). This is how I make use of both editors. Still looking for a way to change the bg effects of areas though, this is a MAJOR issue that needs to be resolved with CE.

Also if you plan to use this method, make a backup of the executable in another folder, so that if you accidentally open the doukutsu.exe with SW, you don't lose too much. Only the executable can be corrupted when SW edits a cavestory that was edited with CE.

May 14, 2009 at 6:06 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
I was wondering, what exactly can CE do that SW can't? Just wondering if I'm missing out on anything by not using it...

May 14, 2009 at 6:11 AM
Assistance
"All your forum are belong to us!"
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Lol, well the thing is that this does not overcome my "change bg" problem, the one seen in CE that is. I'll look over the assembly later with dooey maybe (he's awesome at haxing assembly in general) to see if there's anything simple I can do about that. See, what I do is I have two cavestorys in my cavestory folder: One is doukutsu.exe(The one I edit with CE) and the other is SW.exe(which i obviously edit with SW). The doukutsu.exe is the one that contains all SFX hax, all music swaps, all weap hax, and other important information. The SW is pretty much unchanged. BOTH these executables run off the same scripts and gfx though, because they are both located in the same cavestory folder. This allows me to switch between the two editors when I, say, needed to code the tsc for the tetris scene (since the script for that part was so large, CE crashed on me. kinda sucked). This is how I make use of both editors. Still looking for a way to change the bg effects of areas though, this is a MAJOR issue that needs to be resolved with CE.

Also if you plan to use this method, make a backup of the executable in another folder, so that if you accidentally open the doukutsu.exe with SW, you don't lose too much. Only the executable can be corrupted when SW edits a cavestory that was edited with CE.

Oh, yes. That makes sense, and that is a grand idea for map editing and
placing entity's without having that number hassle, but...

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Lol, well the thing is that this does not overcome my "change bg" problem

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Zephryl said:
I was wondering, what exactly can CE do that SW can't? Just wondering if I'm missing out on anything by not using it...

CE hates background settings. Unless if you want your mod to have a background, use SW.
CE is a bit more friendly with RES hacker than Sue's, so you can change ORGS, Icons, etc.
without the hassle with the file being corrupted.
It's also very easy to change the script with it too; it literally gives you a library of commands with it.
However, the map editing is laggy, and it might be a pain in the ass to edit with.

SW is insanely good with map editing, and the entity placing is very friendly as well.
I use this for my mod basically. And SW doesn't crash every now and then.
Its a stable editor; but it HATES res hacker. The Editor hates everything but itself.

May 14, 2009 at 6:27 AM
Ah I see. Doesn't sound like I'm missing out on anything vital then <3

May 14, 2009 at 10:22 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
SabeTheFabled said:

I need to know:

>I tried placing a bed in front of wall tile, only for the bed to replace the tile entirely with the bed and a black background. How do i place the bed in front of the tile?

Placing entities is pretty basic, just put the entity in the spot where you want it and give it the right sprite/entity number. Each map can only have one tileset, so you'll have to copy-paste the part you want to use into the appropriate file. Seriously, the best place to start with modding is with files like the TSC and <ANP guides, and knowing how to edit .pbm's or make .bmp's work. Also note that a lot of NPCs (mostly enemies) need to have the right spite sheet associated with the map, otherwise they look like a jumbled mess. If you get stuck on something, the best way to figure out how to do it is to look at a matching script in CS (or even another mod) to see how it's meant to be set out.

I don't know what happened to the sprite/entity numbers list, I can't seem to find it, which is pretty strange. Did any of you newer guys find it or did you just figure it out for yourselves?

Also: Holy crap 100+ posts already.

May 14, 2009 at 10:35 AM
I'm pretty sure the list has vanished. All the stuff I use I've had to find myself D:

May 14, 2009 at 9:55 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Missing NPCs?

Ralren said:
However, the map editing is laggy, and it might be a pain in the ass to edit with.
Whaddaya mean, laggy? The only lag I've ever had with CE is when I make it fix all of my Data files with the (C)Pixel thing, or when I load a particularly hefty script....And even then, it's not that bad....
DoubleThink said:
I don't know what happened to the sprite/entity numbers list, I can't seem to find it, which is pretty strange. Did any of you newer guys find it or did you just figure it out for yourselves?
Missing? Really?
Then where the hell did I find these two copies....
I'll try searching, and if I can't find it, I'll post the two different ones I have ^.^

EDIT:
Found 'em...
Both CE and SW come with NPC.ini's, which is what they read to figure out what's what. {EX: if you type in entity number 36, they'd look at the .ini and see that it's Boss Balrog}
Anyways, just copy and change 'em to a .txt or leave them as they are...
And, as loathe as I am to admit it, SW's is easier to read, as CE was made just for the editor, and it's stuff is thrown all over the place....

May 15, 2009 at 12:14 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Ralren said:
Oh, yes. That makes sense, and that is a grand idea for map editing and
placing entity's without having that number hassle, but...

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

CE hates background settings. Unless if you want your mod to have a background, use SW.

Ralren, check out my thread if you haven't already btw.

May 15, 2009 at 7:13 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
So I've edited a tileset, thinking I could make it larger if need be. I worked on the Maze tileset, just about doubling the image size to 256x256. I actually made it even larger, but trying to edit the tileset in Sue's made the very bottom tiles loop back to the beginning. I compromised my tile selection, getting everything (I think) that's vital to the design. As seen in this... Red Crystal Red Tileset. (forgive the lack of organization)

The rub is this: I put it into where it needs to be, checked the (C) Pixel, and saw that the game runs just fine. But now I can't actually edit ANY map using this tileset through Sue's. The only tile that works is the first one, commonly reserved for clearing tiles. I select the tile(s), draw on the map, but no dice. The tiles aren't appearing on the map at all. I tried copying it onto another tileset and saved the changes (including editing its properties to what I wanted), but that one also doesn't work. I know I messed up somewhere along the line, since I had previously edited PrtMaze to suit my needs, but now it just won't work.

Any diagnosis?

May 15, 2009 at 7:44 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Tee Esh said:
So I've edited a tileset, thinking I could make it larger if need be. I worked on the Maze tileset, just about doubling the image size to 256x256. I actually made it even larger, but trying to edit the tileset in Sue's made the very bottom tiles loop back to the beginning. I compromised my tile selection, getting everything (I think) that's vital to the design. As seen in this... Red Crystal Red Tileset. (forgive the lack of organization)

The rub is this: I put it into where it needs to be, checked the (C) Pixel, and saw that the game runs just fine. But now I can't actually edit ANY map using this tileset through Sue's. The only tile that works is the first one, commonly reserved for clearing tiles. I select the tile(s), draw on the map, but no dice. The tiles aren't appearing on the map at all. I tried copying it onto another tileset and saved the changes (including editing its properties to what I wanted), but that one also doesn't work. I know I messed up somewhere along the line, since I had previously edited PrtMaze to suit my needs, but now it just won't work.

Any diagnosis?

Yea I tested this with SW and CE by making the mimiga village tileset to 256x256. The problem is that SW can't handle that many tiles, but CE could for some unknown reason. So you'll have to make the tileset smaller. Nice gfx btw. Too bad you'll have to compromise more (or switch to CE, both choices are hard if your a SW user I've heard).

May 15, 2009 at 9:25 AM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Most SW-users are too used to SW's interface to actually want to change.

SW isn't exactly so bad we want change, just like how Obama pwnt Bush (somewhat).

May 16, 2009 at 4:07 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Oh boy, my turn to ask a question...!

I've been using Resource Hacker {And CE}, and so far have replaced a few songs and some other things...
...but now, song number 0016 {The "Get Heart Tank" song, or "Upgrade Item" song, or whatever you want to call it...} has become some sort of "mimicking black hole"...

Whenever I try to play it, it becomes whatever the previous song is. That means if I use <RMU {Restore Music}, it'll go back to the previous song, which, although it's the same, technically isn't, and so just restarts the song...

I tried replacing the song {FANFALE2} with Resource Hacker using one of the originals, but it acts exactly the same.
I really want to know what the hell's going on, as I'd hate to lose a music space...
..that, and this could mean the slow unraveling of the mod itself... >.<"
{As in, random problems start cropping up that are unsolvable and eventually ruin the mod...}

May 16, 2009 at 4:15 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
VoidMage_Lowell said:
Oh boy, my turn to ask a question...!

I've been using Resource Hacker {And CE}, and so far have replaced a few songs and some other things...
...but now, song number 0016 {The "Get Heart Tank" song, or "Upgrade Item" song, or whatever you want to call it...} has become some sort of "mimicking black hole"...

Whenever I try to play it, it becomes whatever the previous song is. That means if I use <RMU {Restore Music}, it'll go back to the previous song, which, although it's the same, technically isn't, and so just restarts the song...

I tried replacing the song {FANFALE2} with Resource Hacker using one of the originals, but it acts exactly the same.
I really want to know what the hell's going on, as I'd hate to lose a music space...
..that, and this could mean the slow unraveling of the mod itself... >.<"
{As in, random problems start cropping up that are unsolvable and eventually ruin the mod...}

Oh man, I'd love to try to help you with this, but the way you describe it sounds sooo confusing, so i don't know what's going on. Please use 3x more detail to describe this, with a possible script example and so forth.

May 16, 2009 at 4:25 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Oh man, I'd love to try to help you with this, but the way you describe it sounds sooo confusing, so i don't know what's going on. Please use 3x more detail to describe this, with a possible script example and so forth.
It's not a script issue, I even tried a heart tank from the original scripts, no luck....
Ok, let me try again...
Song 0016, the song that plays whenever you pick up a Heart Tank, is acting funny for me... {This is after using Resource Hacker and Cave Editor, by the way}
Whenever it's played {Say, I pick up a heart tank}, the song will start up, but it will always sound exactly like the song that was playing before it {For example, if it was Gestation playing, it'll just play that, and if it was Scorching Back that was playing, it'd play Scorching Back}, and the effect sounds like the song just restarted.
And whenever I use <RMU to restore the song back to whatever was just playing, the song sounds like it restarted again {Because it went from 0016 to whatever the previous song was, and since it's not the same number, it starts from the beginning, because it's suppose to be a different song}

Not sure how to give more detail, without giving the mod out, which I cannot do until the first release...
...So I'll probably just use song 0010, the other "Get Item" song, for now....