Jun 16, 2021 at 9:11 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
How do you change the Sounds? Not music.

Jun 16, 2021 at 9:13 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
The main program you'll be using to edit sounds in Cave Story is SeaTone. Most of the documentation should be in the download, and it should be pretty self-explanatory.

Jun 16, 2021 at 9:21 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Last but not least @EnlightenedOne How do you get music in your mods that's uh... not an org. Like in your Tower mod? Or anyone else know?
@HaydenStudios ?

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021 at 12:36 AM
War criminal
Last but not least @EnlightenedOne How do you get music in your mods that's uh... not an org. Like in your Tower mod? Or anyone else know?
@HaydenStudios ?
Clownacy's Mod Loader is what they used. It pretty much gives you the benefits of CSE2, but you're still working with the vanilla executable.

Jun 17, 2021 at 12:50 AM
How do you get the music in though? What is the number? @Serri I DONT GET IT!
Look i have them in the cave story folder.

Attachments

• Mod Loader error 6_16_2021 7_13_31 PM.png
    Mod Loader error 6_16_2021 7_13_31 PM.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Flowey Story 6_16_2021 7_14_55 PM.png
    Flowey Story 6_16_2021 7_14_55 PM.png
    203 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021 at 1:44 AM
Based Member
Okay, first off, let me give you a tip on using Windows. You appear to have a factory default setting that is hiding some file extensions. In your Windows Explorer window, click on "File" -> "Change folder and search options" and select the "View" tab. Un-check the checkbox that says "Hide extensions for known file types". And click "Apply".

Once you've done this, this should make that file "mod_loader" now appear as "mod_loader.dll," which is the file that appears to be missing from the "mods" folder. So try putting that "mod_loader.dll" file into the "mods" folder, and see if it behaves any better.

Jun 17, 2021 at 2:05 AM
War criminal
Really thought Clown's tutorial on the Mod Loader thread was pretty self-explanatory, ngl. Even with this showing how the layout should work (each indent is based on the subfolder you go in, sorta like how various file browsers work).
p375774-0-xqzj6h.png

Jun 17, 2021 at 7:16 PM

Attachments

• Booster's Lab V0.5.1.1  6_17_2021 1_07_45 PM.png
    Booster's Lab V0.5.1.1 6_17_2021 1_07_45 PM.png
    43.3 KB · Views: 7
  • asgadsfgd.png
    asgadsfgd.png
    61.9 KB · Views: 7
  • dum.png
    dum.png
    117.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Lol.png
    Lol.png
    148.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021 at 9:06 PM
War criminal
You should probably stop attaching images to your post and just upload them to sites like Imgur or smth. So inside the "Cave Story 3D (Remastered)" folder, there should be a file in there called "playlist.txt", and there should be the org names in there. They're in the same order as how the music is sorted in-game. At the very bottom there should be a line that says "Ogg11/WHITE". Then you can start putting in the name of the file of the new ogg you put in, something like this "Ogg11/TESTMUSIC1".

Do not put any spaces on the ogg's file name, tho. That will mess things up. Should you need something like a space to separate the words, at least use "-" or "_".

Jun 17, 2021 at 9:13 PM
So inside the "Cave Story 3D (Remastered)" folder, there should be a file in there called "playlist.txt", and there should be the org names in there. They're in the same order as how the music is sorted in-game. At the very bottom there should be a line that says "Ogg11/WHITE". Then you can start putting in the name of the file of the new ogg you put in, something like this "Ogg11/TESTMUSIC1".

Do not put any spaces on the ogg's file name, tho. That will mess things up. Should you need something like a space to separate the words, at least use "-" or "_".
It just plays white @Serri pls

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021 at 9:30 PM
War criminal
You can add more after White.

EDIT: Hmmm, did that get patched? Cuz I remember Mod Loader not abiding to the 41 song limit, especially when I was making adding orgs much easier a few years back. I may need to look at something...

EDIT 2: Wow, I think it definitely got patched. Because I thought of trying the method I did for adding more orgs via assembly to be sure if it's meant to work that way instead, but for even that still didn't play anything. Do you even need the rest of the Cave Story soundtrack? Because you can just put TESTMUSIC1 in place of Wanpaku and do <CMU0001.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021 at 9:53 PM
Ok let me know when your ready.

Jun 17, 2021 at 10:01 PM
War criminal
EDIT 2: Wow, I think it definitely got patched. Because I thought of trying the method I did for adding more orgs via assembly to be sure if it's meant to work that way instead, but for even that still didn't play anything. Do you even need the rest of the Cave Story soundtrack? Because you can just put TESTMUSIC1 in place of Wanpaku and do <CMU0001.
Yeahhhhh, this may be a bit of an issue. What makes things worse is that Mod Loader was deprecated in favor for CS: Tweaked too, and I am not skilled in using the C language to do anything, really. You may need to hop on Discord and ask Clown, or even ask the developers of ModCS or Doukutsu-RS if they have means to bypass it with their engines. I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Jun 19, 2021 at 7:29 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Your "mods/alternate_music/settings.ini" file needs to look something like this:
Code:
; This is the name of the folder containing the soundtrack's playlist.txt.
playlist = name-of-folder

; If this is true, all song files are loaded into memory when the game starts.
; This eliminates disk accesses when a new song starts, possibly reducing stutter,
; however, this comes at a cost of RAM.
preload_songs = true

; If true, song files are decoded entirely when they're loaded.
; Combined with preload_songs, this possibly reduces stuttering further, but
; at a massive cost of RAM and startup time.
predecode_songs = false

; If this is true, then when a song resumes, it gradually fades in, instead of just
; instantly playing at full volume.
fade_in_previous_song = false

; If this is true, the music will pause when the player clicks out of the window,
; which is what vanilla Cave Story does.
; (This settings does not affect org music)
pause_when_focus_lost = true

; Controls the global volume of the music (does not affect org music).
; This ranges from 0-100. Volume is applied logarithmically.
volume = 100

The "name-of-folder" there is the name of the folder that your custom soundtrack is in. The folder should be in the same directory as the settings.ini file. In your scenario, it would be "Remastered (Cave Story 3D)" (I would change the name).

Then, your "playlist.txt" file should look something like this:

Code:
Ogg11/Test Music 1.ogg, loop

The "Ogg11/Test Music 1.ogg" is the path to your .ogg file. "loop" specifies that you want it to loop, as opposed to play once and then stop until another <CMU. The other options are "org", which ignores the file, and the lack of an argument implies that you don't want it to loop.
Spaces in the filename shouldn't matter, but if it's not working then you should remove them from both the filename and the playlist.txt just to be sure.

At this point, when you use <CMU, you should be using the numbers to refer to the files in "playlist.txt" sequentially; that is, "Ogg11/Test Music 1.ogg, loop" should be <CMU0001. Any after it (with line breaks between) should be 0002, 0003, etc.. <CMU0000 is reserved for silence.

Assuming your file is valid, this should work.

Demo zip included.

Attachments

• epicmod.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 19, 2021 at 7:48 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
How do you change the font in cave story?
And this. It was already covered that you can hex edit Config.dat, but you can also hex edit DoConfig.exe the same way so that it will retain the font changes if the gamepad/window settings are changed. Be sure to replace at least the second occurrence of "Courier New"; the first one you find is used for display. I would just replace both. As always, do not change the size of the file when hex editing.

Jun 19, 2021 at 5:49 PM
Thanks, But how do you make an intro?
It won't work.

Jun 19, 2021 at 8:37 PM
Based Member
Thanks, But how do you make an intro?
It won't work.
What kind of intro? Do you mean editing the screen with the Doctor by the Demon Crown and it saying "Studio Pixel Presents"?

Jun 19, 2021 at 8:45 PM
What kind of intro? Do you mean editing the screen with the Doctor by the Demon Crown and it saying "Studio Pixel Presents"?
No a music intro that never plays again in clownacy's mod loader. It says to rename the file but... @HaydenStudios

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2021 at 9:26 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
A song that doesn't loop (plays only once) is achieved by doing this:

Code:
Ogg11/Test Music 1.ogg

Notice the lack of ", loop" afterwards. I covered this here.

The other options are "org", which ignores the file, and the lack of an argument implies that you don't want it to loop.

The filename should stay the same. You only need to edit "playlist.txt".

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2021 at 1:01 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I had a crazy idea to move entities 96, 97, 98, and 99 (the fans from grasstown) from Global Spritesheet A (NpcSym) to Local Tileset (in this case, a custom tileset named PrtBlank with dimensions of 320x256) so I could have different fans for different maps. I used the NPCTBL Hacking Tool to do it, and then placed some fans on a test map to see if it worked.

When I booted up the game, the fans had collision and were blowing air like normal, but there was no sprite. Is there an issue with using tileset spritesheets for entities, or possibly some other problem here?